R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Nah, F__K that! Why are you even against the idea of Staten Island receiving new NTTs to begin with. Those 44s need to go. Why even repeat the past idea of having to transport an current fleet when they can purchase brand new ones to the 40-year course. Lets not forget the better exterior features as oppose the interior ones that can arguably be seen as a waste? Kinda weird to bring it up now when the cars are already undergoing test and MORE are on the way. It makes no sense at all, you may as be saying they could've added another 75-100 more cars to past contracts for the SIR but better late than never. May as well do as little moving around between the SIR and the NYCT as possible.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

That's just gonna make L train commuters pissed. How? You're literally just decreasing L train frequency. Those trains are needed for Canarsie CBTC. That's like saying putting R62As back on the 7 line. (which is sort of a different story)

Also, remember, L trains were built in 4 car consists, not 5. So how are you gonna take 75 cars out the L when you have one oddball? You can't just switch them so many times, can you? I'd rather say take some of Jamaica's R160Bs or R160A-2s and put them on SIR.

(L) train commuters will be pissed because they get newer shiny NTT's instead of the old ones they have now?

23 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Nah, F__K that! Why are you even against the idea of Staten Island receiving new NTTs to begin with. Those 44s need to go. Why even repeat the past idea of having to transport an current fleet when they can purchase brand new ones to the 40-year course. Lets not forget the better exterior features as oppose the interior ones that can arguably be seen as a waste? Kinda weird to bring it up now when the cars are already undergoing test and MORE are on the way. It makes no sense at all, you may as be saying they could've added another 75-100 more cars to past contracts for the SIR but better late than never. May as well do as little moving around between the SIR and the NYCT as possible.

You probably didn't hear me the first time, it's not cost effective to give them R211's.

14 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

(L) train commuters will be pissed because they get newer shiny NTT's instead of the old ones they have now?

Divide 75 by 4.

14 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

You probably didn't hear me the first time, it's not cost effective to give them R211's.

That's rather arbitrary.

31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Um, they don't care about shiny new cars, now do they? All they care about is:

1. Go to the train station

2. Get on the train

3. Get off

That's it.

Edited by Ale188

53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Still doesn't change the fact of what I'm saying. I don't think that Staten Island should be overlooked away from receiving new trains, even with all the bells and whistles. SIR should get with the times with the rest of the system.... The irrelevant thought of it being not cost effective because its just one line of a subsidiary system is such a laughable, autopilot view of things I've ever read. Take that opinion and redirect to the equipment/planning director and get back to us. I think we can all love to hear such a beautiful response....

Edited by Metro CSW

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

That's exactly my point. They should take 75 R143 cars from the (L) and send them to SIRT and convert the remaining R211S's into R211A's. 

As a regular (L) rider, I like the current fleet the (L) line uses and I don't wanna see R211s on the (L) with their reduced seating. I have no complaints about the R143/R160 combo.

I have no issue with Staten Island getting the R211s, they haven't had new trains since the early 70s. 

3 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Now hear me out on this: the previous NTTs, the R160s and the R179s are not equipped for railroading. They wouldn’t even survive on railroad service if they were to be put on it. Most areas require canatary for overhead power. Both R160s and R179s would cost an extra $5K to put 2 over the car power and feeders to power them. No third rail shoes. For non electrical railroads, the R160s and R179s will have to put special trucks with one square box on top of A cars, while B cars lose ALL propulsions. The B cars would be “trailers”. 

What the hell

bro doesn’t know what he’s talking about

the SIR runs on third rail just like the rest of the system and I’m pretty sure I can still hear propulsion coming from the R44 B cars, along with the fact that it’s mostly flat, I’m sure the R160s and/or R179s could easily handle their B cars turned into trailers

I bet you haven’t even been to SI before 💀 

1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

What the hell

bro doesn’t know what he’s talking about

the SIR runs on third rail just like the rest of the system and I’m pretty sure I can still hear propulsion coming from the R44 B cars, along with the fact that it’s mostly flat, I’m sure the R160s and/or R179s could easily handle their B cars turned into trailers

I bet you haven’t even been to SI before 💀 

I’ve been on that line longer than you have. And I’m not your bro

26 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Why are you going on about catenary then. If you’ve been using the SIR then you should know what it uses for power 💀 

and besides, Kawasaki slapped catenary equipment onto an R62 for testing, I’m sure they could come up with something for the R211s if they were actually using it

25 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

I know this is off topic but in gen z, anyone is called “bro”  example: bro thinks he’s Opium

To stay on topic, I think the the 143’s are fine where they are, SIR certainly needs new cars, the 211’s for the SIR could’ve been modified for SIR specifically instead of having everything the 211A sets has

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

the 211’s for the SIR could’ve been modified for SIR specifically instead of having everything the 211A sets has

Yeah this was what I was thinking. Just adapting the R211S to better fit the nature of the SIR (Ex: changing the seating layout to latitutional like the RR's) is way more realistic and less complicated than converting R143s or R160s IMO lol. 

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

the 211’s for the SIR could’ve been modified for SIR specifically instead of having everything the 211A sets has

They are. While the passenger area may be the same, there are significant mechanical differences between the 211A and 211S in terms of specific equipment required for cab signaling and ATC vs waysides or even CBTC and it partially complies with some FRA regulations that the subway doesn't have.

Without replying to anyone in particular, R211's, along with all their bells, whistles and high-tech stuff which correctly may not be needed there, are going to Staten Island.  PERIOD!  Any discussion on that it should have been done earlier with R143/160/179 cars or transferring some of the used cars to Staten Island now is a moot point.   

Edited by Bill from Maspeth