R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

The 30 day test only makes sense as a precursor to the release of the production order.  There is no production order of the R211T.  Unfortunately they botched the 30 day test of the R211A by not having a true production car being tested.  Maybe they'd have caught the gear box issue if they had. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Transit Fans said:

Yes prototype are test fleets which is similar to the R110A/B to see if they are able to run way on the tracks. Either way a prototype is very similar to a pilot set when it comes to testing to make sure it works properly. I have seems how pilot and prototype works by living in NYC even since being born and raise there. I don’t need someone like you to tell me what I don’t know. Because prototype cars and not the same as production cars when it comes to testing. Do you remember back in 1993 when the R110A appeared on the 2 line for testing. Which has tested as passenger service for about 5 years before they decide to put the R142 doing testing back in 1999 and their debut has on July 2000 same with the R142a on the 6. 

Yet still it doesn't change the fact that, and currently on record, the pilots sets only needs the 30-day test which they are only 2 of them. 4060-69 (already passed) and 100-04 (Because its new to SIR). The prototypes doesn't count at all when it comes to the Ts.

Edited by Metro CSW

15 minutes ago, zacster said:

The 30 day test only makes sense as a precursor to the release of the production order.  There is no production order of the R211T.  Unfortunately they botched the 30 day test of the R211A by not having a true production car being tested.  Maybe they'd have caught the gear box issue if they had. 

I know that R211T don’t have production cars since there are just prototypes. But they still need to be testing to make sure it works because the MTA decide to order an option order. Just like they did back in 1993 with the R110A/B for the 2 and A lines. 

7 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Yet still it doesn't change the fact that, and currently on record, the pilots sets only needs the 30-day test which they are only 2 of them. 4060-69 (already passed) and 100-04 (Because its new to SIR). The prototypes doesn't count at all when it comes to the Ts.

Didn’t I just mentioned that about the R211T. I know it’s not the same as a pilot set like the R211A and R211S which the first one are pilot sets that requires 30 days. Compared to a prototype it needs much more testing than just 30 days. Since it’s too early to determine if it works well. Which makes sense my they placed it on the C line. Eventually the R211T will have a better version just like they did with the R110A/B. Which we now see R142/A, R143 and R160.

11 minutes ago, Transit Fans said:

I know that R211T don’t have production cars since there are just prototypes. But they still need to be testing to make sure it works because the MTA decide to order an option order. Just like they did back in 1993 with the R110A/B for the 2 and A lines. 

I remember being on that 2 train back then, The R211T is being ran as a test but just not a 30 day type just running as a test train in general I believe. 

24 minutes ago, Captain iOS BeeSwarm said:

Will the R211Ts be retired after 10 years like the R110As and R110Bs were, or will they continue to run in regular service until it is time to retire the R211s? 

The R211Ts were built as part of a larger order. Unless something forces the other R211s into absurdly early retirement, it's highly unlikely these will be.

42 minutes ago, Captain iOS BeeSwarm said:

Will the R211Ts be retired after 10 years like the R110As and R110Bs were, or will they continue to run in regular service until it is time to retire the R211s? 

the only thing I see transit doing with the T's in regards to that is converting them into the regular A sets. Otherwise theyll just run them as normal

Jeez I knew there was a reason I stay away from the subway side of the forums. Now I feel obligated to point out the difference between the pilot and prototype trains.

Pilot: testing out a brand new model to make sure there are not any faults in the production models that would delay delivery of the train

Prototype: testing BRAND NEW FEATURES that were never introduced before, specifically to the public, getting feedback, and incorporating it to a future design.

Common sense would also indicate that there is no need for a 30 day test for a train that only consists of one or two full length train.

5 minutes ago, Captain iOS BeeSwarm said:

Also just wondering, can the R211s or other NTTs last 50+ years in revenue service like the R32s managed to or is it not possible to due to certain factors? I'm not trying to be biased towards any subway car with this question, just curious.

One would think it depends on the (MTA)'s capital management and what happening decades from now. The R32 only stuck around so long because some 'deplorable mismanagements' in the past from what I've heard.

14 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

lol you're all the way in Florida, you definitely don't have a clue about much.

And it does matter, prototype cars are basically test fleets, ala R110s.

The R211Ts are prototypes to determine to see whether or not the MTA will even consider ordering more open gangway cars. Nowhere in their presentations or memos did they state that they are running a 30-day test. Just because you say they are, doesn't mean they are. The R211A was the baseline for the R211Ts, since the internals are virtually the same except for the gangways and some other minor differences, hence why a 30-day test isn't necessary.

Like I said, source your claims and stop spouting nonsense before you end up getting the boot.

Flat spots are a common thing out in Staten Island. Whether or not it gets taken care of, it'll happen again, especially with leaves and such on the rails.

hurricane-florida-man.gif

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Jeez I knew there was a reason I stay away from the subway side of the forums. Now I feel obligated to point out the difference between the pilot and prototype trains.

Pilot: testing out a brand new model to make sure there are not any faults in the production models that would delay delivery of the train

Prototype: testing BRAND NEW FEATURES that were never introduced before, specifically to the public, getting feedback, and incorporating it to a future design.

Common sense would also indicate that there is no need for a 30 day test for a train that only consists of one or two full length train.

Yeah, it seems there is a lot of misunderstanding on this side of the forums.

By the time they are ready to decide on option 2, they'll know if they work or not.  Those cars will have been in service for a year or two.  They'll know what the problems are, if any.  They'll tweak the design, make it possible to climb down to reset a brake, put smoke detectors in, make it possible to isolate the cars from each other, anything else that's necessary.  Or maybe they'll change some byzantine rule that hasn't been needed for 100 years but is still on the books that these cars don't follow.

I’m on the R211T right now ( approaching uptown platform at 59th St-CC ) , this is my second ride and I gotta say, I really like the soft shell better, it gives the train a more spacious feel. All the updated features on the T are really cool , very nice fast smooth ride and it looks so incredible seeing through the train as it curves swerves and descends.

Edited by Maxwell179

You know… I think we should just rebrand this place as “TransitAssumptions.com”

because that seems to be quite the hobby around here. 

everyone gets an assumption into their heads, based on little to no evidence, and then defends it like their life depends on it.

to the point when my little employee ass says “no, that’s wrong”, people will freaking double down on their argument…

8 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

You know… I think we should just rebrand this place as “TransitAssumptions.com”

because that seems to be quite the hobby around here. 

everyone gets an assumption into their heads, based on little to no evidence, and then defends it like their life depends on it.

to the point when my little employee ass says “no, that’s wrong”, people will freaking double down on their argument…

It really takes the fun out of this at times. I come hear to get updates and learn a bit. I've also learned to use, "I've heard or saw", and "I'm not sure" a lot. Usually, all that is needed as opposed the back and forth.

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

I’m on the R211T right now ( approaching uptown platform at 59th St-CC ) , this is my second ride and I gotta say, I really like the soft shell better, it gives the train a more spacious feel. All the updated features on the T are really cool , very nice fast smooth ride and it looks so incredible seeing through the train as it curves swerves and descends.

What’s the new features besides the gangway?