NICE Bus cuts approved, 25 cent fare hike, 10 routes eliminated

I don't believe that's true. I think the only double transfer allowed is NICE-NICE-NICE.

It is(and should still be) true,  

You get two transfers within NICE  - [NICE-NICE-NICE]

And one transfer within NICE if connecting to/from NYCT. -  [NYCT-NICE-NICE] or [NICE-NICE-NYCT]

That has been in place since LIB, NICE also kinda mentioned it as a perk to get people to transfer to the n6x at 179h street when they had all n6X buses turning there.

What about transfers between the two N20s?

They'll probably be treated as any other routes.  HOWEVER, this brings something to light.

Being that the N20 will be be split into separate routes, that means they can eliminate the N20H while keeping the N20G at a future date if warranted. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm never knew the b/o had a union. ..i thought they were paid depending the frequency and higher the revenue

Yes most bus drivers at most companies are represented by a Union. NICE's drivers and other workers are represented by the TWU local 252. (TWU 252 also represents two School Bus bus companies in Nassau and two in Suffolk, one of the one's in Suffolk is in the town next to where I live and transports the SD I live in)

The Union was a sticking point for NICE because the Union wanted the same deal it had with the MTA IIRC.

But there aremore convenient buses on the market

Is like when you buy a product. ..the one that we would buy is the cheaper one but is very reproductive than the expensive one which is promoted on ads

More Convenient doesn't mean it's what your looking for. IDK what went into NICE's decision to go with New Flyer. Maybe there was something New Flyer had that NICE liked or wanted that others didn't.

It is(and should still be) true,  

You get two transfers within NICE  - [NICE-NICE-NICE]

And one transfer within NICE if connecting to/from NYCT. -  [NYCT-NICE-NICE] or [NICE-NICE-NYCT]

That has been in place since LIB, NICE also kinda mentioned it as a perk to get people to transfer to the n6x at 179h street when they had all n6X buses turning there.

I'm probably confused because whenever I invoke this scenario it's NYCT-n20/22/24-n78/79 (and not the other way around), a trip so long that I always pay a second fare on the n78/79 because it's been more than 2h since I entered the subway.

I'm probably confused because whenever I invoke this scenario it's NYCT-n20/22/24-n78/79 (and not the other way around), a trip so long that I always pay a second fare on the n78/79 because it's been more than 2h since I entered the subway.

Either that's the case or maybe they did change the policy. I've connected from the subway to the n6 to the n1 with no additional fare. It wasn't recent though because I use an unlimited card now.

I don't believe that's true. I think the only double transfer allowed is NICE-NICE-NICE.

Unless it's been changed since LIB,three-legged transfers from NYCT were only allowed on certain connecting routes. For example: NYCT-N20'21 to N57,N58,N23,N25, NYCT-N22 to N23,25, NYCT-N4 to N1,2,3,15, NYCT-N6 to N1,2,3,etc. No three-legged transfers were allowed to routes at Freeport,Mineola or Hicksville.

The problema is my estimate Amtrak 7 that you must know when to coordinate to the next connecting bus

I remember i got onboard a supposed 1:20pm n20 bus at fflushing and transfer to the 2:46pm n79 bus. ..well that scheduled n20 came at 1:40pm. ..i put the metrocard at 1:45pm and by far missed the 2:46pm n79 bus. ..so i opted for the 3:44pm n79 to south Huntington. ..as i putted the metrocard at 1:45pm i luckily put the metrocard at 3:43pm so by almost two minutes i was going to lose that transfer and hence pay a new fare

The n20 is one of the slowest bus in NICE even slower than the n22...the congested part is between great neck and flushing. ..i can guess that 2/3 of the revenue fot the n20 is between flushing and great neck and the latter 1/3 great neck to Hicksville.

Not even the express portion between Roslyn to Jericho can help accelerate service

Hey if the n20 is to be separated then they should add stops between Roslyn and Jericho not only on the universities

The problema is my estimate Amtrak 7 that you must know when to coordinate to the next connecting bus

I remember i got onboard a supposed 1:20pm n20 bus at fflushing and transfer to the 2:46pm n79 bus. ..well that scheduled n20 came at 1:40pm. ..i put the metrocard at 1:45pm and by far missed the 2:46pm n79 bus. ..so i opted for the 3:44pm n79 to south Huntington. ..as i putted the metrocard at 1:45pm i luckily put the metrocard at 3:43pm so by almost two minutes i was going to lose that transfer and hence pay a new fare

The n20 is one of the slowest bus in NICE even slower than the n22...the congested part is between great neck and flushing. ..i can guess that 2/3 of the revenue fot the n20 is between flushing and great neck and the latter 1/3 great neck to Hicksville.

Not even the express portion between Roslyn to Jericho can help accelerate service

Hey if the n20 is to be separated then they should add stops between Roslyn and Jericho not only on the universities

The Transfer time is actually 2hrs and 18 Minutes. The n20 can't stop at other stops between Roslyn and Jericho, it is unsafe to do so, there is no place for the bus to pull over (Nobody in that area is going to ride the bus anyways). I personally believe that they should construct all the university stops along Northern Blvd to avoid those deviation into the colleges. Those deviation slows down n20 service significantly by making them wait for traffic Signals. Also they need to make the bus come on time in Hicksville, alot of the time, the n20 leaves in bunches causing one to be filled while the other empty following the first one(including the deviation into the colleges)

Yeah those signals are quite long time to wait especially the one in the university close to Jericho almost 5 minutes

That is if the n20 is to be separated in two services and. At least have some recover in fares butmany in tthat corridor are accustomed to have their cars and not rely with buses...reminds me of the Suffolk transit s66 segment between riverhead and east moriches. ..it makes no stops and runs very fast but the difference is that the s66 segment is on the CR 51 which is more of a detour motorway between riverhead and center moriches. ..but the n20 passes throughsome houses and dsome intersections

Also for the n21 suggestions. ...why not make it run from great neck to oyster bay via glen cove there it would revenue good money and help save this route

Yeah those signals are quite long time to wait especially the one in the university close to Jericho almost 5 minutes

That is if the n20 is to be separated in two services and. At least have some recover in fares butmany in tthat corridor are accustomed to have their cars and not rely with buses...reminds me of the Suffolk transit s66 segment between riverhead and east moriches. ..it makes no stops and runs very fast but the difference is that the s66 segment is on the CR 51 which is more of a detour motorway between riverhead and center moriches. ..but the n20 passes throughsome houses and dsome intersections

Also for the n21 suggestions. ...why not make it run from great neck to oyster bay via glen cove there it would revenue good money and help save this route

The Town of Oyster Bay doesn't want bus service. I think the local Town Supervisor has to meet with the legislators or something for bus service to be sent there.

There is more people traveling between Hicksville and Queens than people imagine. The N20L rush Hour service is full by the time the bus reach Americana Manhasset. On weekends there is a full seated load of people remaining on after Great Neck. I don't believe that splitting the N20 is a good idea. It would hurt those people that are traveling on Northern Bl west of Great Neck, and fuller buses at Great Neck Station. N21 on the other hand after this split, might as well replace it with N20 Glen Cove Rd Runs.

It's not great idea at all.

Bus riders on n20 coming from Hicksville wouldn't be able to get seat on n20 Flushing trips from Great Neck Station because during rush hour, n20 Flushing line strecht all the way to n25 bus shelter. If people couldn't get on continueave  n20 trip because bus is full, people have to wait for next bus.

reminds me of the Suffolk transit s66 segment between riverhead and east moriches. ..it makes no stops and runs very fast but the difference is that the s66 segment is on the CR 51 which is more of a detour motorway between riverhead and center moriches.

How is CR 51 a Detour roadway, that's the ONLY way to get to Riverhead to Center Moriches/ East Moriches. 

There are probably no stops on CR 51 A) because nobody lives on that roadway and B) Suffolk probably doesn't want any stops on the road way because of safety concerns. Suffolk has, or at least last I knew, a similar policy of for the S62 for NYS 347 West of Nicholl's Road, and the S60 on NYS 347 west of Stony Brook Road. There are no bus stops on NYS 347 west of those places because those roadways are not safe not to mention it would most likely impact traffic which is usually very congested at those points.

Here's the official changes eff. 1/17:

Routes N14,17,46,50,51,62,73,74,80 eliminated

N2/8 peak rush hr. only to/from Jam.

N19 discontinued east of Sunrise Mall

N20/21 all start & end at Great Neck RR-(N20G Flushing-Great Neck,N20H Great Neck-Hicksville,N21 Great Neck-Glen Cove)

N46-some trips turned into N47 trips

N4,6,15,24,27-trips added weekdays

N40/41-Saturday

N15,19,70,71,72-some trips discontinued

Mr. Setzer made bad mistake n2/8 Green Acres Loop don't go to Jamaica at all.

I think thats what makes the s62 seemingly more quicker than the s58 even if going up to port Jefferson. And back down. ..i can say that east of mount Sinai the s62 makes little or no stops and can head express to tanger riverhead. ..i can say that the bus stop in the intersections of fresh pond avenue and nys 25 (where the s62 separate from cosharing with the s58) if you dont flag the s62or the s58 from adistance at dark hours those buses would go on and not stop since this area is considered almost wilderness. ..

The CR 51 is the only roadway to riverhead from the moriches wow i thought William Floyd parkway was the principal route and CR 51 the secondary since it is labeled CR

I found an article from Newsday that's pretty interesting:

http://www.newsday.com/business/briarcliffe-college-files-closing-notice-cites-enrollment-1.11204062

Pretty sure nice would not run the n81 like that just for a few college students for 3 more years, unless the college subsidizes it.

I found an article from Newsday that's pretty interesting:

http://www.newsday.com/business/briarcliffe-college-files-closing-notice-cites-enrollment-1.11204062

Pretty sure nice would not run the n81 like that just for a few college students for 3 more years, unless the college subsidizes it.

Interesting indeed. I doubt the college will subsidize it though.

The CR 51 is the only roadway to riverhead from the moriches wow i thought William Floyd parkway was the principal route and CR 51 the secondary since it is labeled CR

William Floyd Goes north to South from Shirley to Wading River. It's shorter and quicker for people in Center Moriches/ East Moriches to take CR 51 to Riverhead than William Floyd.  Especially since Montauk Highway heading to William Floyd tends to get backed up. 

There's a budget deficit, and they're adding service n21 service on weekends, yet they're not leaving any route for coverage in SE Nassau running North to South. I would've either kept the n81, or have had this added runtime been added to the n27 in terms of more bus service. What happened to adding buses on the higher-utilized routes? I know the n20/21 are pretty big, but the n21 standalone portion is really bad, some buses are empty before even reaching the clock tower. I thought midday service was gonna be eliminated at first when talks about cuts lingered, not the opposite. Perhaps somebody waved a wand and all of a sudden, n21 service on that portion grew exponentially, but I highly doubt it. 

Oh i get it now... CR 51 is the quickest way to riverhead from moriches...is kinda scary to drive on CR 51 at night since there's no street lights. ..then again veterans memorial highway of the s54 between commack and islandia is completely darkness

To another subject i was seeing at YouTube this video a Fellow NICE rider explaining the eliminating routes and proposed routing. .in one explanation it got to me...i blame NICE for not keep the n19 east of sunrise mall...then again the mall is close to the border with Suffolk county. ..by his words he said that the n19 between sunrise mall Babylon scrapping should be responsibility of SC Transit in other words have the s40 extended to sunrise mall or at least to Amityville and hence make it to transfer the last n55 leaving 10pm...the keyPoint is that. The s40 makes a transfer connection at ease to the last nice bus. ..there is option B...havethe n72 leave at 9:25 and not 9:20p and be in coordination with the s40 arriving Babylon

There's a budget deficit, and they're adding service n21 service on weekends, yet they're not leaving any route for coverage in SE Nassau running North to South. I would've either kept the n81, or have had this added runtime been added to the n27 in terms of more bus service. What happened to adding buses on the higher-utilized routes? I know the n20/21 are pretty big, but the n21 standalone portion is really bad, some buses are empty before even reaching the clock tower. I thought midday service was gonna be eliminated at first when talks about cuts lingered, not the opposite. Perhaps somebody waved a wand and all of a sudden, n21 service on that portion grew exponentially, but I highly doubt it. 

According to NICE, the n20/21 isn't that highly utilized. I think it's supposed to be above the n31/32, but below the n22 in terms of ridership.

11 routes eliminated and a major one is getting even more messed up. I can tell you firsthand the n20/21 has lost a good amount of ridership since NICE's inception, just like the n6. The n21 portion of the route has never had a ton of ridership and has been dropping regardless over the last few years. But this is still a mistake NICE is making, and a bigger hole is being dug. And yet, with all of this, has NICE released any ridership data whatsoever to back their claims up. No. Jack Khouz is a moron, and this entire bus system is a scam.

Archived