Bones found underneath 126th

Blitz

"The discovery of 140 bones by archaeologists digging within the decommissioned depot was announced last week by Melissa Mark-Viverito, the City Council speaker, and the Rev. Patricia A. Singletary, pastor of the Elmendorf Reformed Church on East 121st Street, the successor to the Harlem Reformed Dutch Church of 1660..."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/nyregion/discovery-of-burial-ground-backs-a-less-conventional-version-of-harlems-history.html?referer=

This isn't just a random burial site or typical graveyard...there is a unique history and relationship to slavery, which is a deep part of American history. I'm not surprised this is being take differently than when more typical burial sites are uncovered during construction. It speaks to the value we place upon elements of history tied to slavery and African American heritage

This isn't just a random burial site or typical graveyard...there is a unique history and relationship to slavery, which is a deep part of American history. I'm not surprised this is being take differently than when more typical burial sites are uncovered during construction. It speaks to the value we place upon elements of history tied to slavery and African American heritage

I get all of that but my question still is what if this burial site spans further than just that depot?  Are they going to kick people out of their homes because of it?  I mean this seems rather over the top.  The other question is what happens to that site?  Do they demolish the depot?  We both know that land is at a premium in Manhattan, and I would argue that the depot should remain there.  It's not near any residences to speak of and that's a good thing considering the high asthma rates of residential areas that have depots in some parts of the city.

I get all of that but my question still is what if this burial site spans further than just that depot?  Are they going to kick people out of their homes because of it?  I mean this seems rather over the top.  The other question is what happens to that site?  Do they demolish the depot?  We both know that land is at a premium in Manhattan, and I would argue that the depot should remain there.  It's not near any residences to speak of and that's a good thing considering the high asthma rates of residential areas that have depots in some parts of the city.

It's mostly a historical preservation thing, for posterity. No one actively seeks things like this, but when stuff like this turns up it's good to preserve a record for the future. They'd do the same thing in London or Rome or any other place with lots of old burial sites (and in fact, they found Henry III like this when they demolished a parking garage.)

I suspect they will erect a memorial of some sort, keep some small portion permanently blocked off, and ultimately use the site again, unless Tatum the whole site in a museum or something.

I get all of that but my question still is what if this burial site spans further than just that depot? Are they going to kick people out of their homes because of it? I mean this seems rather over the top. The other question is what happens to that site? Do they demolish the depot? We both know that land is at a premium in Manhattan, and I would argue that the depot should remain there. It's not near any residences to speak of and that's a good thing considering the high asthma rates of residential areas that have depots in some parts of the city.

Supposedly the entire depot will eventually be torn down, dunno when. And there's buildings right on the other side of the street.

Supposedly the entire depot will eventually be torn down, dunno when. And there's buildings right on the other side of the street.

I'm almost certain that high dollar condominiums will be built on that site, with maybe a memorial bench or plaque in front of it.

Archived