LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mjg2020 said:

No unfortunately I didn’t hear back from anyone. Maybe they have multiple open houses for this posting.

Could be, hopefully you get an email soon. Before I got the open house email I got an email from the MTA about vaccine mandate for all new employees and the subject line had the job title I applied for....so if you get one of those it may be a good sign 

36 minutes ago, Altezza said:

Could be, hopefully you get an email soon. Before I got the open house email I got an email from the MTA about vaccine mandate for all new employees and the subject line had the job title I applied for....so if you get one of those it may be a good sign 

Hmmm interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for that email.

I am extremely thankful to even get called for an employment opportunity with the LIRR, but theres one thing I am a bit curious about...With all this talk of ridership being at an all time low due to the pandemic as well as the railroad seeking aid money, how come they are hiring? Is there a bunch of retirements or something? I read somewhere in this forum, maybe this post a few pages back that the A/C roster had more than enough employees...

7 hours ago, Altezza said:

I am extremely thankful to even get called for an employment opportunity with the LIRR, but theres one thing I am a bit curious about...With all this talk of ridership being at an all time low due to the pandemic as well as the railroad seeking aid money, how come they are hiring? Is there a bunch of retirements or something? I read somewhere in this forum, maybe this post a few pages back that the A/C roster had more than enough employees...

Because they had a hiring freeze before the pandemic, then the pandemic came and they had lots of workers retire early and so on, so now there's a serious worker shortage and they are struggling to meet the schedules. With the federal funding they've received, they've been able to allocate monies towards operation of service. Ridership is down now, but the hope is that they'll continue to receive funding to keep service running, as they expect ridership to rebound years down the line. If you start cutting service now, you may never get a sizable amount of riders back.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 10/29/2021 at 4:41 PM, Altezza said:

I got the email about the vaccine mandate today but not the open house.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Because they had a hiring freeze before the pandemic, then the pandemic came and they had lots of workers retire early and so on, so now there's a serious worker shortage and they are struggling to meet the schedules. With the federal funding they've received, they've been able to allocate monies towards operation of service. Ridership is down now, but the hope is that they'll continue to receive funding to keep service running, as they expect ridership to rebound years down the line. If you start cutting service now, you may never get a sizable amount of riders back.

Ok gotcha, thanks for the info. I hope it rebounds as well. Pandemic was devastating to many industries including my current one...

1 hour ago, mjg2020 said:

I got the email about the vaccine mandate today but not the open house.

From what I have seen in the forums in past pages there are multiple training classes. So its possible there are multiple open houses as well. Did you include customer service and cash handling type jobs in your resume? I now thats what they look for....

1 minute ago, Altezza said:

From what I have seen in the forums in past pages there are multiple training classes. So its possible there are multiple open houses as well. Did you include customer service and cash handling type jobs in your resume? I now thats what they look for....

Oh interesting. Yes. I have been a cashier at a local grocery store for almost 2 years. 2 years on Nov 18.

1 minute ago, mjg2020 said:

Oh interesting. Yes. I have been a cashier at a local grocery store for almost 2 years. 2 years on Nov 18.

Ahh ok, I'm hardly an expert on what they are looking for but I wouldn't get discouraged if they don't call. Ive applied to over 10 jobs for LIRR alone and this is the first time they have called me.

It's probably random based on keywords in the resume and I'm sure thousands of people apply. Its weird because in my profile there are some applications I have that say "passed prescreening" under status and I've never gotten an email. The A/C position they emailed me for and the status hasn't even changed it still says "applied". Maybe they like persistence, I'm still gonna keep applying if I don't make it for this position.

11 minutes ago, Altezza said:

Ahh ok, I'm hardly an expert on what they are looking for but I wouldn't get discouraged if they don't call. Ive applied to over 10 jobs for LIRR alone and this is the first time they have called me.

It's probably random based on keywords in the resume and I'm sure thousands of people apply. Its weird because in my profile there are some applications I have that say "passed prescreening" under status and I've never gotten an email. The A/C position they emailed me for and the status hasn't even changed it still says "applied". Maybe they like persistence, I'm still gonna keep applying if I don't make it for this position.

Ah gotcha. Yeah the RR has an interesting system of hiring people. I have applied for Amtrak and got a lot of rejection emails and still apply to them. Ive applied to MN for Laborer and the application says passed prescreening. I also applied to the Locomotive Engineer position for LI and got the vaccine email about two hours ago. Little irrelevant but I am a volunteer at a trolley museum (BERA) so that might help as far as experience besides cash handling and customer service.

2 minutes ago, mjg2020 said:

Ah gotcha. Yeah the RR has an interesting system of hiring people. I have applied for Amtrak and got a lot of rejection emails and still apply to them. Ive applied to MN for Laborer and the application says passed prescreening. I also applied to the Locomotive Engineer position for LI and got the vaccine email about two hours ago. Little irrelevant but I am a volunteer at a trolley museum (BERA) so that might help as far as experience besides cash handling and customer service.

Nice, that should help, sounds like you know more about trains than me haha. I also applied to Amtrak and Metro North but never heard from them either. Not as much as Ive applied to LIRR tho. Im fairly close to Jamaica yard and Hillside yard and right next to subway that can take me to Penn station in under an hour.

6 minutes ago, Altezza said:

Nice, that should help, sounds like you know more about trains than me haha. I also applied to Amtrak and Metro North but never heard from them either. Not as much as Ive applied to LIRR tho. Im fairly close to Jamaica yard and Hillside yard and right next to subway that can take me to Penn station in under an hour.

Oh okay Im from CT in New Haven County so I am far from NY. But if I get lucky I would relocate. As of the trains part I don’t know as much as you think I do Lol.

52 minutes ago, mjg2020 said:

How did it go?

Went well, passed the exams (vocabulary,cognitive, and math) just like previous users mentioned earlier in this thread….

just waiting on an email for next steps..which I believe is getting study material for signals and definitions. That’s the real hard part.  

it was a big class prob about 60-70 ppl…I’d estimate about half passed. Wish everyone could’ve made it but I think the cognitive exam was a little tricky..I just skipped anything I didn’t know and moved on to answer questions I could because of the time limit.

If you do get called sometime in the future just brush up on multiplication and everything else is random can’t tell you what to study for really… 

• Harry unpinned this topic
  • Harry unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone here know if there is a drawback to withdrawing the application that was originally submitted and then reapply because  I needed to fix a resume or cover letter? Would reapplying affect my candidacy or I will still be in the same boat as first time?