ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

3 hours ago, Schecter said:

As XX you're subject to tour changes and RDO changes each week, when you start at a particular station you might not always end at your starting location. This all depends on the job or some major delay happens on the road then you might end elsewhere. 

Thanks man. That I'm aware of that is possible you end up somewhere different than where you started, my question is is that a rare occurrence? Or a common thing? 

and when you're in XX isn't there a chance you get a job that lasts a few weeks or months and your days off won't change? Or no? 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heads up on anyone gonna into pre employment. Had a 10am appointment and went in at 9am. Didn't get out until 1:30pm it was crazy packed. God knows what time the people who actually showed up at 10 am got out at. 

All it is is a drug test. Make sure your application is filled out, you have your HS diploma, birth certificate or passport, drivers license, any other documents they mentioned in the email. They will ask for them. Regarding your vaccination card the lady at the front was not happy when I only had it on my phone, bring the physical card if you want to avoid any drama lol 

Not sure when the next class is but what I was told was that my pre employment is good for 3-90 days and to wait for an email. 

List 39**

1 minute ago, Amang1 said:

Heads up on anyone gonna into pre employment. Had a 10am appointment and went in at 9am. Didn't get out until 1:30pm it was crazy packed. God knows what time the people who actually showed up at 10 am got out at. 

All it is is a drug test. Make sure your application is filled out, you have your HS diploma, birth certificate or passport, drivers license, any other documents they mentioned in the email. They will ask for them. Regarding your vaccination card the lady at the front was not happy when I only had it on my phone, bring the physical card if you want to avoid any drama lol 

Not sure when the next class is but what I was told was that my pre employment is good for 3-90 days and to wait for an email. 

List 39**

You had it easy!!’ I was there yesterday to just clear my medical hold, got in at 10:45 (11am Appt) and didn’t leave till 4:45 pm.

9 minutes ago, Amang1 said:

Thanks a lot man much appreciated. I was in there with a train operator who actually told me there hiring so many people he had seniority shortly after training/school. He said he barely spent any time on the extra extra list. 

I already have a pretty good union job.  However the money in this blows my current position out the water so I'm conflicted. I'm just concerned about not having any set schedule for a few years and been getting a lot of unclear answers about extra extra list. some say your days off change once in a while some say they change every week. Some say it's not bad at all some say it's terrible lol

You would have to gamble.  Some people change every week some never change.  We’re you able to get an idea of how many classes are gonna happen 

5 minutes ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

You had it easy!!’ I was there yesterday to just clear my medical hold, got in at 10:45 (11am Appt) and didn’t leave till 4:45 pm.

I was coming off a 12 hour overnight shift too haha almost passed out in there wasn't expecting to be there that long .

4 minutes ago, STtoMTA said:

You would have to gamble.  Some people change every week some never change.  We’re you able to get an idea of how many classes are gonna happen 

No, however it sounds like they're in desperate need of people. On the way to work I've heard them talking about the shortage of conductors and train operators on the radio. Have heard it multiple times on NY talk shows lol. 

17 minutes ago, Amang1 said:

Thanks a lot man much appreciated. I was in there with a train operator who actually told me there hiring so many people he had seniority shortly after training/school. He said he barely spent any time on the extra extra list. 

I already have a pretty good union job.  However the money in this blows my current position out the water so I'm conflicted. I'm just concerned about not having any set schedule for a few years and been getting a lot of unclear answers about extra extra list. some say your days off change once in a while some say they change every week. Some say it's not bad at all some say it's terrible lol

The reason u get different answers is because it depends where u land on the totem pole. Some people are lucky like the February 2021 class and land pretty high on the xx list. One of my classmates has midnights with sat sun off which is what he wanted. They were lucky they landed in B division which was extremely short of people. If you end up coming in while transit is short like they did, naturally u will end up higher on the extra extra list and have a little more consistency. 

Its a different story for those getting hired now. There are already a good fifty to a hundred people in front of you in each division on the extra extra list because of the hiring frenzy. You won't be switching tours or RDOs every week, but it can happen. The inconsistency comes in start and end times. You might stay PMs for as long as you are XX and you might even have preferred it, but PM jobs start anywhere from 12pm to 6pm and that's only because they have eliminated 8pm board time which was just mean spirited. 

The job starts out tough but it def gets better. Just have to really ask yourself if it's worth it. 

18 minutes ago, beanz said:

The reason u get different answers is because it depends where u land on the totem pole. Some people are lucky like the February 2021 class and land pretty high on the xx list. One of my classmates has midnights with sat sun off which is what he wanted. They were lucky they landed in B division which was extremely short of people. If you end up coming in while transit is short like they did, naturally u will end up higher on the extra extra list and have a little more consistency. 

Its a different story for those getting hired now. There are already a good fifty to a hundred people in front of you in each division on the extra extra list because of the hiring frenzy. You won't be switching tours or RDOs every week, but it can happen. The inconsistency comes in start and end times. You might stay PMs for as long as you are XX and you might even have preferred it, but PM jobs start anywhere from 12pm to 6pm and that's only because they have eliminated 8pm board time which was just mean spirited. 

The job starts out tough but it def gets better. Just have to really ask yourself if it's worth it. 

Thank you man. So I guess it just depends on the luck of the drawer and the timing. I work a rotating 12 hour schedule right now constantly switching between nights and days. Often doing 3 or 4 -12 hour shifts overnight  only to switch to 3 or 4 -12 hour day shifts 2 days later. Sometimes only 1 day off in between the switch. I don't think the switching of the start times will bother me too much being that they're within a few hours of each other and I'm currently switching start times of complete opposite ends of the clock. It's the switching of the days off that'll suck not being able to make plans. 

Are the days usually 8 hour days or so they usually run longer? Is it even worth it to drive to work being that you might end up somewhere different?  

19 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Two of my classmates have children. One actually gave birth during her second year and took unpaid leave.

I would definitely recommend to have lots of options for your childcare needs, and seek FMLA once you qualify if you have a child with any special health issues. It's a job where you'll have to be relatively flexible and have other options given the weird scheduling until you're able to pick a job and settle into a routine. In the case of the moms in my class, they had their parents and the child's father help out to paper over childcare issues. If you don't have that extensive support system, this job may not be the right choice for you.

1)  is it possible to take a leave of absence just for any reason? (non medical).  I know i will not get paid for it, but is that possible, say I really need to take care of important things in my life.

2)  if i have 6 saved Sick Days so far. and I take 4 days (this is more than 50% of saved sick days). AND I submit doctor's lines......will i be put on sick control and my probation ruined / I might get fired?

thank you

3 hours ago, Amang1 said:

Thank you man. So I guess it just depends on the luck of the drawer and the timing. I work a rotating 12 hour schedule right now constantly switching between nights and days. Often doing 3 or 4 -12 hour shifts overnight  only to switch to 3 or 4 -12 hour day shifts 2 days later. Sometimes only 1 day off in between the switch. I don't think the switching of the start times will bother me too much being that they're within a few hours of each other and I'm currently switching start times of complete opposite ends of the clock. It's the switching of the days off that'll suck not being able to make plans. 

Are the days usually 8 hour days or so they usually run longer? Is it even worth it to drive to work being that you might end up somewhere different?  

Depends what job u get assigned. Jobs can be anywhere from 8 hours to almost 12 hours. U can also have a couple days where u are on board meaning u don't have a job until they send u somewhere. Those days can go as short as 8 hours if u get assigned a job right away or it can be twice that.

8 hours ago, Amang1 said:

I'm in a similar boat. I have a union job but the pay with MTA is almost double what I currently get after probation. Add in better benefits too and the fact that my union has become very weak im looking forward to getting the call. I look at my current job as only a job where the MTA its a career.  Even if I only do the MTA for a few years the extra pay will help greatly.

Edited by thegameksk

5 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

I'm in a similar boat. I have a union job but the pay with MTA is almost double what I currently get after probation. Add in better benefits too and the fact that my union has become very weak im looking forward to getting the call. I look at my current job as only a job where the MTA its a career.  Even if I only do the MTA for a few years the extra pay will help greatly.

What’s your list number?

23 minutes ago, rondread445 said:

I was put on medical hold last year June I ended up getting taken off the list. Reinstated in November and finally got cleared this month, a lot of people were called in between this time.

List# 15**  Would I still have seniority over those that were called after me?

You’ll have seniority over those in your class only

6 hours ago, trackerjack said:

1)  is it possible to take a leave of absence just for any reason? (non medical).  I know i will not get paid for it, but is that possible, say I really need to take care of important things in my life.

2)  if i have 6 saved Sick Days so far. and I take 4 days (this is more than 50% of saved sick days). AND I submit doctor's lines......will i be put on sick control and my probation ruined / I might get fired?

thank you

1) IIRC, you can, but to avoid sounding like a crew room lawyer, I'll just say that it's on a case by case basis, and they may suggest that you have to resign and reapply. Speak with the union and see what they advise for your situation.

2) It's a grey area, but I've seen some people burn through their sick time and keep their jobs. Four individual sick call outs will definitely be a problem, but a serious illness that took up four days at once are two different things. If you end up at that point, *consult* the union for advice.

7 hours ago, trackerjack said:

thank you

1. Yes. 2. You will be put on sick control as it's 70/30. As long as you submit doctor's lines you should be fine. For the sake of an official and accurate answer, please refer questions like this to a union rep. 

In fact for anyone who are already in schoolcar/graduated and have questions about the job, please talk to a union rep.

10 hours ago, Amang1 said:

Thanks man. That I'm aware of that is possible you end up somewhere different than where you started, my question is is that a rare occurrence? Or a common thing? 

and when you're in XX isn't there a chance you get a job that lasts a few weeks or months and your days off won't change? Or no? 

10 hours ago, Amang1 said:

As someone working XX, you will be sent anywhere at any time. In a given week for example, you may find yourself working the A at 4AM out of 207 Yard on the first day of your week. Second day, they can put you in a D job at 430AM out of Coney Island. Third day, at 530AM you can be sent to the E at Jamaica Center. Etc, etc, etc. They start you early in your week and late at the end so your "weekend" can be cut short. The hours will vary for each job depending on what it entails. Some jobs do clear at other locations. And as mentioned before, they may change your tour and/or RDOs on a weekly basis, 

Edited by Jericho

14 hours ago, Amang1 said:

The experiences on this issue can vary. The crew office was generally good about keeping our tours intact, but for some people, RDOs changed frequently, while for others, it was very consistent. Some ended up with lots of board, others rarely had board. Some were bounced around the division, while other people were consistently sent to the same locations. In my case, I wasn't on board as often, saw lots of Utica/New Lots/Pelham/Flushing while seeing very little of the Bronx in the A division, and managed to keep T/W RDOs until this pick when I was switched to S/S just before my bid kicked in. 

Based on the experience of my classmates and sister class, mentally pencil in 3 years from the end of schoolcar to your first picked job. It could be sooner or later depending on how many people retire or take promotions.

Edited by Keikyu Motorman

23 hours ago, Godsfavorite said:

Thank you for your feedback. I definitely have a great support system. I know everyone’s experience is different. Covid has allowed me the benefit of being home for my children while getting an income.  I will miss that part if I get in. But the benefits outweigh everything else.

I'll admit, it can be a rough job especially if you're transitioning from an office or work from home setting, but after a few years (and a decent bit of OT) one of the women with kids in my class bought her own home, and honestly, she might be one of the better train operators in my class. So be patient, and hopefully, you'll get called down soon.

@Jericho : @trackerjack won’t be on sick control just because of the <50% sick time. It’s an absence with proof given. You only get bagged for sick control with 6 unsubstantiated absences or any two patterned absences. All that’s going to happen is that he’s going to have his probation extended 4 days  

trackerjack is also already on the 30% because he’s a new employee. You don’t get an official 70/30 designation until you have 3 years on the job. 

9 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Yeah man it's a tough choice. Except I'm in a very good/strong union I just don't like my current position but it's a huge company with a lot of opportunities it's just that money/raises move very slow here.  You in the trades? Also saw your list # was earlier than mine. Did they mention to you when the next class is? 

Just now, Shelly0114 said:

I have a few questions? How long does it take to get back results from the drug test? took it April 5th. 

What is the xx list?

Once you pass the medical, how long is the T/O training class? 

Hey there!  What’s your list number please? And you may have to go for two pre employments, they’re good for 90 days.  

xx is “extra extra”.  It’s the operators that cover whatever run is “open “ for the day (not picked, person out sick, day off coverage , etc”

6 months training for A division (number trains) , 9 months for B division (letter trains). You choose where you are based on seniority in your class