ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, STtoMTA said:

First of all, welcome to the forum….

second, what’s your list number? (Use format 402x so you don’t give away your identity.  We keep track and help each other out 

if you have a preliminary date it depends on what you’re going for.  If it’s your first time you’ll be going for “pre employment” which is paperwork and a drug screening.  

should you pass that writhing 3-30 days you should Hear back with another appointment date. This would be your full medical exam.  Should you pass the medical exam you’ll be sworn in and given a class date/start date

Man you sound thirsty need some water? Jk jk

Had to resign today due to being forced into the B division (westchester resident). Going to put my name back on the list and hope to get called for a future class where I’ll be able to be one of the first to pick divisions. In the mean time, back to popping them doors, close to home :)

does anyone know what list numbers are being called for this May class? 

24 minutes ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

Hey guys, so just started training and I chose B division because it’s closer to where I live, but any advice and pros and cons in your opinion on A vs B division? TIA! 

Pick something where it will be close to home. Trust me, the screw office will have you reporting on one end and give you a job on the other end. 

On 4/12/2022 at 8:34 PM, trackerjack said:

can you give me 1 or 2 examples on what's "pushing" it?  I'm imaging......going into a station hot and fast and taking break last second?  is that what u mean?  to build confidence.  (certain TSS would not even let us experiment like that unfortunately).

also.....coming out as XX will we be lucky to get the 7? or even get lucky Bidding for a 7 job? 

thankxxx

Come in as fast as possible into the stations and take brake as late as possible to see the "limits" of the train. :-)

Don't do this in *posting* because you'll scare the people that you're posting with, and the passengers won't be as fond of your operating skills if they're being tossed around.

As for the 7, I met a train operator just the other night who is fresh from schoolcar, and is CBTC qualified, so he was placed on board at Main Street, and was given a job in the yard. As for the bids, that's always a possibility for *any line*. If you live in Queens, it's probably the best setup unless you're near Utica/New Lots. Pelham isn't bad if you live in Bayside or Flushing, but the tolls just ruin the fun.

55 minutes ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

Hey guys, so just started training and I chose B division because it’s closer to where I live, but any advice and pros and cons in your opinion on A vs B division? TIA! 

A division is easier, IMHO, as there are less trains to learn and the network topology is easier to understand. Mind you, reporting to the Bronx can be brutal if you live in Brooklyn and don't drive.

5 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

A division is easier, IMHO, as there are less trains to learn and the network topology is easier to understand. Mind you, reporting to the Bronx can be brutal if you live in Brooklyn and don't drive.

True! I drive thankfully, but I’m worried about what I would do if they have me starting at one spot and then I finish my tour at a different location, I’ll have to take it all the way back just to get my car? 

Just now, Mikeyanthony23 said:

True! I drive thankfully, but I’m worried about what I would do if they have me starting at one spot and then I finish my tour at a different location, I’ll have to take it all the way back just to get my car? 

Ahh yes, there are jobs where you do start at one terminal and finish at the opposite side of the line. Yes, you end up riding back home or taking Uber as a shortcut. Sometimes, I'll take the train from Long Island on those days, while on others, I'll drive to the starting terminal and eat the long ride back home.

25 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Ahh yes, there are jobs where you do start at one terminal and finish at the opposite side of the line. Yes, you end up riding back home or taking Uber as a shortcut. Sometimes, I'll take the train from Long Island on those days, while on others, I'll drive to the starting terminal and eat the long ride back home.

I live on the other Island which sadly has no easy way to get to city and or Brooklyn by public transportation. Do we get a parking permit once we graduate school car? 

8 minutes ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

I live on the other Island which sadly has no easy way to get to city and or Brooklyn by public transportation. Do we get a parking permit once we graduate school car? 

You can apply for a parking permit, but some of the parking lots are a bit of a crapshoot in terms of spaces.

With that said, one of my classmates is from Staten Island, doesn't have a car, and he's AMs. His commute to work can be terrible when he goes up the Bronx, but slightly more tolerable for reports at Flatbush, Utica, or New Lots.

5 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

I prefer SMEE, R46 personally. New tech is a little to easy to operate. Maybe cuz I'm new tho, after a while I might actually start liking the comfort of the new tech trains. CBTC seems very boring to me tho...

Same way I feel. But I got a few years down here and that view hasn't changed for me.

8 hours ago, TA718 said:

That’s good to know. I live in Queens myself. So I’m assuming B divison would be better for me. Since I live borderline Brooklyn/Queens. 

I'm in the same boat. Im right by last stop on the M train.  Hoping I can get B division. I don't drive so to get to the Pelham for example would be 2 hrs and multiple trains. 

10 hours ago, iag48st said:

Had to resign today due to being forced into the B division (westchester resident). Going to put my name back on the list and hope to get called for a future class where I’ll be able to be one of the first to pick divisions. In the mean time, back to popping them doors, close to home :)

does anyone know what list numbers are being called for this May class? 

Schoolcar is definitely rough when u live in the Bronx and end up in the B. I live in Riverdale and if i didn't drive i would have the longest shittiest commutes to Coney island, Pitkin yard, east NY (🤢). But honestly since i been out on the road the crew office wasn't that mean to me. A couple times on board i ended up going to stillwell and once even to far rock and another time to bay ridge.....but for the most part i was at Bedford park, 207, 168 or 145.

10 hours ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

B division is easier to get through probation but there's more equipment and lines to learn about and more yards to get familiar with. A division is a little more tight assed but there's less trains and lines to learn. Really just comes down to being closer to home because the less u have to travel in schoolcar the more time to get rest and study.

Edited by beanz

45 minutes ago, beanz said:

Schoolcar is definitely rough when u live in the Bronx and end up in the B. I live in Riverdale and if i didn't drive i would have the longest shittiest commutes to Coney island, Pitkin yard, east NY (🤢). But honestly since i been out on the road the crew office wasn't that mean to me. A couple times on board i ended up going to stillwell and once even to far rock and another time to bay ridge.....but for the most part i was at Bedford park, 207, 168 or 145.

B division is easier to get through probation but there's more equipment and lines to learn about and more yards to get familiar with. A division is a little more tight assed but there's less trains and lines to learn. Really just comes down to being closer to home because the less u have to travel in schoolcar the more time to get rest and study.

Exactly why I resigned. I live in Yonkers. Takes me 8 min to get to VC, 5min to Whiteplains etc…

Even if I get sent to 207 or 168, it’s annoying. I’m spoiled 🤣

hopefully next class they put me in I can pick A 

15 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

I prefer SMEE, R46 personally. New tech is a little to easy to operate. Maybe cuz I'm new tho, after a while I might actually start liking the comfort of the new tech trains. CBTC seems very boring to me tho...

Wait till you gotta deal with multiple work zones in Queens....

15 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

That's awesome you got to operate all these different trains! How do you feel about operating in CBTC on the Queens corridor on the Fox? I know a lot of senior guys don't like it. 

Im ok with it i have gotten used to the BIEs when they eff up down there or some random glitch...

The work zones? Cant stand em...

13 hours ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

The B Div will be more training but you'll learn a lot and folks are very helpful over here.

Never be afraid to ask a question and if you aren't clear on the answer it ask it again...

21 hours ago, STtoMTA said:

Hey @Mikepro6 , what’s your list number? And they want everyone to have at least two shots I believe before pre employment. I’m sure you could call them and postpone or ask them 

Yes you can still go in,He will ask for ya Vax card and just tell him youre not vaccinated.They will give you a paper you have to fill out stating that you either will or will not get the shot if you was to get thru everystage.They wont force you to get the shot if cant cant even pass a drug screening..Hypothetically speaking