ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

12 hours ago, beanz said:

Not everybody's experience is as bad as this person. Try it for yourself before letting someone else already make it miserable for you. I've had rough days here but I've always been grateful to have the job and never felt it was as horrendous as some people make it out to be. There are definitely shitty days but it isn't everyday.

Ill say this some of these new folks have no idea how crazy this pace was when we was hired back in 2001...

We had our own coworkers hoping we would fail, supervisors who was disrespectful and Supts who wanted nothing but to see us fail..

Now there's folks looking to help and Ways to stop Supervisors and Supts from being disrespectful..

Job can be rough with the hours but its much better than it was when we started.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, trackerjack said:

i do honestly!  Hahaha.  i am just a survivor on this job.  this is just my opinion of course.  i met a TO this week that said he is leaving since he found a better opportunity.  good for him as this job isn't right for everyone.  sometimes you have to listen to your inner self.   to the new guys coming in...you might even LOVE this job!  so you still gotta try it out and do your best and see how it goes for yourself.  

have you been applying for other jobs?

12 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Ill say this some of these new folks have no idea how crazy this pace was when we was hired back in 2001...

We had our own coworkers hoping we would fail, supervisors who was disrespectful and Supts who wanted nothing but to see us fail..

Now there's folks looking to help and Ways to stop Supervisors and Supts from being disrespectful..

Job can be rough with the hours but its much better than it was when we started.

coworkers hoping failure amongst their peers?  this is some straight up toxic Game of Thrones shenanigans!

19 hours ago, trackerjack said:

is having a 'bad' picked job way better than "XX" in ur experience?

Ask yourself this question, is five days on the worst line in your division with Tuesday and Wednesday off better than XX?

For some people, they miss their favorite lines, while for others, the consistency of known days off makes real world planning far more easier.

11 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Ask yourself this question, is five days on the worst line in your division with Tuesday and Wednesday off better than XX?

For some people, they miss their favorite lines, while for others, the consistency of known days off makes real world planning far more easier.

personally I would answer XX is better than 5 days on the worst line in your division. Especially considering they haven't been changing RDOs or tours to XX operators as far as I know. Plus XX you get some easy days switching or yard jobs...if you have 5 days on the Apple on the midnights you have no easy days. 

On 10/11/2022 at 4:30 AM, Jay-Oh said:

Honestly, any picked job is better than XX. Knowing when and where you’ll be working everyday assuages much of the pains of being XX, because now you can plan around that schedule. Yes, XL does exist and it has the randomness of XX, but at least you know you’ll only be working specific lines. I haven’t had a job pick me fortunately, so I don’t have experience with that. 

You have to remember all of our experiences will be different. For the majority of time I was XX I had Am’s with weekends off and when I was forced to pick it was late PM jobs on the 1 line. Forget about enjoying your summer with 5PM starts working on weekends. I loved being XX & now that I have a little more options I always go for XL because for the most part the crew office works with me.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:24 PM, trackerjack said:

smart man; he has chosen: Freedom; a life of Free of pain, misery, and disrespect

Working for the (MTA) being an individual who wants to create a positive experience for the passenger/customer necessitates a selfless existence. When the majority of the public hates you, looks down on you, and blames you for everything, it can take a toll on many people, and it's those that resort to growing numb in an effort to handle the consuming stress who honestly shouldn't be employed in the profession. It takes a combination of passion and resilience to be someone who voluntarily devotes the majority of their life serving others this way in a position that is almost entirely thankless and pays average compared to many jobs here in New York City. There's tons of merit in being a good employee who works for the (MTA).

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

On 10/12/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jchambers2120 said:

You have to remember all of our experiences will be different. For the majority of time I was XX I had Am’s with weekends off and when I was forced to pick it was late PM jobs on the 1 line. Forget about enjoying your summer with 5PM starts working on weekends. I loved being XX & now that I have a little more options I always go for XL because for the most part the crew office works with me.

Lol I regret picking XL North. Wanted it for the J, L, M lines but guess who's getting sent to Far Rockaway almost everyday. 

Starting to rethink this whole TO thing.  It's the second week of training and this week has been a disaster. We routinely got on trains late bc there other classes were in the trains or they were in service.  The TSS routinely tells us how we are short of time.  They tell us about all the mistakes the new classes are making such is not surprising consider how much they want us to know.  I've been studying daily and even then I can't keep up. Everything is rushed in terms of teaching.  They will tell us we have to learn something and then next day want us to know it backwards and forewards. 

1 hour ago, thegameksk said:

Starting to rethink this whole TO thing.  It's the second week of training and this week has been a disaster. We routinely got on trains late bc there other classes were in the trains or they were in service.  The TSS routinely tells us how we are short of time.  They tell us about all the mistakes the new classes are making such is not surprising consider how much they want us to know.  I've been studying daily and even then I can't keep up. Everything is rushed in terms of teaching.  They will tell us we have to learn something and then next day want us to know it backwards and forewards. 

Welcome to school car or it’s a little difficult discouraging but it can definitely be done.just stay focused jag don’t fall behind in studying

2 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Unfortunately, plenty of good TSS's left school car since the pandemic and never looked back.

That said, keep an eye on your schedule. Knowing your stuff will matter when you get to the practicals and signal exams.

What book and where specifically to study the Signals ? I feel like the rule book is ok but not enough. Where else can I study signals and their meaning ? School car TSS’s is not specific at all. I need to know my signals. The parts of the train and tracks aren’t difficult at all. I want to focus on SIGNALS . HELP PLEASE 

38 minutes ago, TCart said:

What book and where specifically to study the Signals ? I feel like the rule book is ok but not enough. Where else can I study signals and their meaning ? School car TSS’s is not specific at all. I need to know my signals. The parts of the train and tracks aren’t difficult at all. I want to focus on SIGNALS . HELP PLEASE 

They should have given you a booklet with all the signals you need to know on it. If not, ask for it.

3 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Are you studying after you get home? If not, I suggest you make time to do that.

You’re not expected to know everything immediately, but you need to learn how to filter the information you’re taking in and focus on the important bits. 

Also, keep in mind this is only the second week of training, you’re trying to rewire your mind to process transit shit, it’s going to be overwhelming. Keep on top of studying, read your signals and notes daily, you’ll be alright.

1 hour ago, TCart said:

Are u in the A or B division? 

4 hours ago, thegameksk said:

It's the beginning man everybody feels overwhelmed at first. One of the TSS said something once that stayed with me...this is like a 100 piece puzzle. It isn't complicated and u will figure it out if u apply yourself, but right now u just opened the box and dumped all the pieces on the table in front of u and none of it makes a lick of sense. Give it time and a picture will take shape.

1 hour ago, TCart said:

https://www.chegg.com/flashcards/mta-signals-1c1abdfd-3ec9-4fef-aca6-6abadfec9580/deck?trackid=db5b1f37a9f6&strackid=759bfe277a0a

I used those flashcards. I memorized them all. 

4 hours ago, thegameksk said:

This is how I felt too and I was picked for A not by choice.  The pressure is crazy and I hated the portion of school car where you had to go to the classroom every day.  It was exhausting carrying around all those books.  You're tired of carrying around the books and then you have to learn something that is completely foreign to you.  It's an insane amount of pressure. 

I totally sympathize with you.  Does your group have a group chat? It's good to talk about these things with your classmates.