ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

19 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

I don’t think that’s the proper way to think about it. The newer generation coming into the job just doesn’t want to put up with the bs. It’s not about laziness, it’s about not being treated like just another number. This is just what I gleaned from talking to our coworkers who have less than 3 years on the job.
Of course, there are people who complain baselessly, but I agree to an extent to them questioning why the work environment can be so hostile at times. 
Saying “it’s just how it is”, “there is no logic in transit” and “that’s what we all went through” isn’t a valid response to them questioning the archaic system we work in anymore. Hardship does not directly equate to hard work, if that makes sense. 
Again, there most certainly are lazy people who just don’t want to work, but the ones who make legitimate and reasonable complaints tend to get, unfairly, mixed in with them. 

I’m happy to say that it seems the work culture is changing slowly but surely, with the newer generation of supervisors and managers moving up the ranks and trying to affect positive change. 

Hardship does not directly equate to hard work, if that makes sense.

you hit the nail in the coffin with this one!!
EMBALMED.  BOXED.  BURIED!  

Edited by trackerjack

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/8/2023 at 4:10 PM, Iron Mike said:

Did you go for pre-employment last week (the week of Jan 1)?

I know we've discussed this many times before. I don't want to go back to find the answers so I'll ask again. (Sorry to all if I keep asking the same questions). 

I went for my first drug test on 10/31 my list number is 55xx I received the email to report tomorrow morning at 630. The email is the same as the first one just saying pre employment. So I don't know what to expect tomorrow. Will it be just another drug test? Will it be the medical? Or will they do the drug test and send me for my medical rather soon or will I have to wait another 4 months? I am patiently waiting and I know my day is coming I just like yo have some information going in. So if anyone can please share their process and time line I would be extremely grateful.  Thank you all.

1 minute ago, jbolanos said:

I know we've discussed this many times before. I don't want to go back to find the answers so I'll ask again. (Sorry to all if I keep asking the same questions). 

I went for my first drug test on 10/31 my list number is 55xx I received the email to report tomorrow morning at 630. The email is the same as the first one just saying pre employment. So I don't know what to expect tomorrow. Will it be just another drug test? Will it be the medical? Or will they do the drug test and send me for my medical rather soon or will I have to wait another 4 months? I am patiently waiting and I know my day is coming I just like yo have some information going in. So if anyone can please share their process and time line I would be extremely grateful.  Thank you all.

Probably a drug test, bring everything you did last time and triple check you have everything. 

I went 2 times as well, then medical and sworn in after medical so total of 3 times over 5 month period.

On 1/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, RTOMan said:

Only if one is expecting to deal with some sacrifice because there will be some indeed if not and one is "expecting" to be treated like others who got it better(because that's the bottom line here  some folks can sugar coat it all they want) then don't bother...

Like I'm seeing a lot lately...

You'd think some folks never worked in their lives...

There's this false narrative down here that new people are expecting to be treated like people with seniority. That's absolutely false. Nobody with an understanding of how seniority works is expecting weekends off and their pick of whatever assignments they want. 

The major issue is how the crew office jerk people around. I was lucky when i was xx and stayed close to home 99% of the time since i first came out. Even when my tour wasn't what i desired at least i wasn't reporting to Brooklyn every other day. People with file numbers higher than mine that were also xx were being absolutely killed with ridiculous reporting locations and times. One of my classmates refused to speak up cause she didn't want to be one to complain but they kept that poor lady on the completely opposite side of where she lived when the line that ran literally outside her house always had open jobs. 

It doesn't ever get addressed because people start picking jobs and forget how it was for them and stop caring. Some people like to float their file number so much that they are happy to see rookies suffer cause it makes their seniority that much more meaningful to them in a weird way.

I dont think it's unreasonable for people to expect to be treated better. Better doesn't mean treated like a senior man, just means treated decently.

Hey all,

I have the medical coming up soon for the next class  and I'm in between train operator for the mta and getting interviewed for assistant conductor for metro north . I dont know which one i should lean more into. I haven't been able to find alot of information on metro north assistant conductor but this forum for train operator has been really helpful. Anybody have a clue which would be better in terms of pay , quality of life etc. Any information would be helpful thank you!

12 hours ago, beanz said:

There's this false narrative down here that new people are expecting to be treated like people with seniority. That's absolutely false. Nobody with an understanding of how seniority works is expecting weekends off and their pick of whatever assignments they want. 

The major issue is how the crew office jerk people around. I was lucky when i was xx and stayed close to home 99% of the time since i first came out. Even when my tour wasn't what i desired at least i wasn't reporting to Brooklyn every other day. People with file numbers higher than mine that were also xx were being absolutely killed with ridiculous reporting locations and times. One of my classmates refused to speak up cause she didn't want to be one to complain but they kept that poor lady on the completely opposite side of where she lived when the line that ran literally outside her house always had open jobs. 

It doesn't ever get addressed because people start picking jobs and forget how it was for them and stop caring. Some people like to float their file number so much that they are happy to see rookies suffer cause it makes their seniority that much more meaningful to them in a weird way.

I dont think it's unreasonable for people to expect to be treated better. Better doesn't mean treated like a senior man, just means treated decently.

I was XX for five years believe me when i say it the longer you are XX they tend to give you better jobs...

This Job all we mostly got left from these people is seniority and they are slowing taking that away in every department...

Wait another five years when most of us Tier four  folks are gone yall haven't seen anything yet TA got tricks...

Edited by RTOMan

13 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

I don’t think that’s the proper way to think about it. The newer generation coming into the job just doesn’t want to put up with the bs. It’s not about laziness, it’s about not being treated like just another number. This is just what I gleaned from talking to our coworkers who have less than 3 years on the job.
Of course, there are people who complain baselessly, but I agree to an extent to them questioning why the work environment can be so hostile at times. 
Saying “it’s just how it is”, “there is no logic in transit” and “that’s what we all went through” isn’t a valid response to them questioning the archaic system we work in anymore. Hardship does not directly equate to hard work, if that makes sense. 
Again, there most certainly are lazy people who just don’t want to work, but the ones who make legitimate and reasonable complaints tend to get, unfairly, mixed in with them. 

I’m happy to say that it seems the work culture is changing slowly but surely, with the newer generation of supervisors and managers moving up the ranks and trying to affect positive change. 

Hence me saying "Some"  and this isn't BS you work for a transportation company making close to 40 bucks a hour its a business first period.

I never expected to be treated fair in the start and i didn't they dogged me as well yet as my XX number got lower the jobs got better days off went to weekends...

Then i had to pick jobs and the bottom dropped out TW off rotten jobs and those was mine for 6 months.

Let me give you a fair thought about some of the new managers...

Some are good people but bottom line is they will follow what's told and some of the things TA wants aren't pretty and its coming...

Do not forget that.

Edited by RTOMan

13 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Hardship does not directly equate to hard work, if that makes sense.

you hit the nail in the coffin with this one!!
EMBALMED.  BOXED.  BURIED!  

I know we work for effs I'm not blind to that fact yet lets get into reality for a second...

Working for minimum wage is hardship, without benefits is hardship, without union protection is hardship..

Do we have any of that down here?

Ill wait thanks.

Edited by RTOMan

14 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

I never expected to be treated fair in the start and i didn't they dogged me as well yet as my XX number got lower the jobs got better days off went to weekends...

Then i had to pick jobs and the bottom dropped out TW off rotten jobs and those was mine for 6 months.

Nobody is invalidating your struggle in your 5 years of XX, but this just goes back to the “I went through it, so should you” mentality. Just because we experienced it, doesn’t mean that there can’t be a better system for the new people.

We are a unionized workforce, the TA is a business, so we will always be at odds. However, since we are unionized; it should be a regular thing for us to constantly strive for better work conditions and better SOP. 

At the end of the day, you’re right - it is a business, and they will run it as they see fit. I just try to advocate for the people with legitimate complaints so they can be seen as more than just “lazy” or “whiney” millennials who don’t want to work. 

10 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

Nobody is invalidating your struggle in your 5 years of XX, but this just goes back to the “I went through it, so should you” mentality. Just because we experienced it, doesn’t mean that there can’t be a better system for the new people.

We are a unionized workforce, the TA is a business, so we will always be at odds. However, since we are unionized; it should be a regular thing for us to constantly strive for better work conditions and better SOP. 

At the end of the day, you’re right - it is a business, and they will run it as they see fit. I just try to advocate for the people with legitimate complaints so they can be seen as more than just “lazy” or “whiney” millennials who don’t want to work. 

Actually yall got it WAY much better...

Computers to help with Job assignments, schedule cards Work programs available you can see two days in advance what you are doing instead of dealing with folks in the crew office.

Crew Office convos are recorded (did ya know that?).

Managers who will listen to Obvious EEO violations and G2s that will get addressed and a Union who will help with contract violations which are blatant.

So that being said lots of us WISH we have what is down here now.

We had whiners when i started and we got whiners now(people with time too do not get me started on those folks) not all but they are there and they always will be there.

BTW my managers comment isn't me blowing smoke its something yall need to pay attention to start thinking big picture and promotions..

Trust me...

Edited by RTOMan

32 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

I was XX for five years believe me when i say it the longer you are XX they tend to give you better jobs...

This Job all we mostly got left from these people is seniority and they are slowing taking that away in every department...

Wait another five years when most of us Tier four  folks are gone yall haven't seen anything yet TA got tricks...

We all get that it was worse, but that doesn't mean it can't get better. People will always want better when possible. It doesn't mean they are entitled, it just means they know their value. People back in the day were just grateful to have a job but now that there is more understanding of the psychological aspect of a work life balance, that's what people will strive for. It doesn't mean people don't want to work at all or have weekends off or just get 1 trippers close to home all the time. They just want to not have ridiculous report times that don't take travel into consideration. I get that in your day it was just as bad and worse, but it can be forgiven because of the lack of technology in that time. How was the crew office supposed to keep track of everyone using pen and paper and old computers? But with the advancement of computers this can be done so much better. I saw on Facebook someone suggest a point system that shows matches for jobs based on location and previous days clearing time. It can be done transparently and in a way that leaves no question that all things were considered and that would drastically improve morale and attendance and everyone, including transit, would benefit. Instead the "it's how it is and always was man up u snowflake" mentality rules and transit continues to have attendance issues and a hard time keeping quality employees.

6 minutes ago, beanz said:

We all get that it was worse, but that doesn't mean it can't get better. People will always want better when possible. It doesn't mean they are entitled, it just means they know their value. People back in the day were just grateful to have a job but now that there is more understanding of the psychological aspect of a work life balance, that's what people will strive for. It doesn't mean people don't want to work at all or have weekends off or just get 1 trippers close to home all the time. They just want to not have ridiculous report times that don't take travel into consideration. I get that in your day it was just as bad and worse, but it can be forgiven because of the lack of technology in that time. How was the crew office supposed to keep track of everyone using pen and paper and old computers? But with the advancement of computers this can be done so much better. I saw on Facebook someone suggest a point system that shows matches for jobs based on location and previous days clearing time. It can be done transparently and in a way that leaves no question that all things were considered and that would drastically improve morale and attendance and everyone, including transit, would benefit. Instead the "it's how it is and always was man up u snowflake" mentality rules and transit continues to have attendance issues and a hard time keeping quality employees.

Here's a reply to another poster so I'm going to copy it...

Computers to help with Job assignments, schedule cards Work programs available you can see two days in advance what you are doing instead of dealing with folks in the crew office.

Managers who will listen to Obvious EEO violations and G2s that will get addressed and a Union who will help with contract violations which are blatant.

So that being said lots of us WISH we had what is down here now.

Oh its not going to get better i see the Big Picture for this place and its not pretty...

You think they spending all this money for new Tech to Help Us?

Think promotion take my advice...

Edited by RTOMan

7 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Here's a reply to another poster so I'm going to copy it...

So that being said lots of us WISH we had what is down here now.

Oh its not going to get better i see the Big Picture for this place and its not pretty they looking to cut this workforce...

You think they spending all this money for new Tech to Help Us?

Think promotion take my advice...

I'm sure they don't have helping us in their list of priorities but that's supposed to be why we have a union. Like i said a system to improve the crew office would make it better for transit too but i been here long enough to know transit likes to shoot itself in the foot and also to know our union is weak, so u aren't wrong that this is probably as good as it will get. Still, just trying to change the narrative around the new people just being lazy and entitled. They are just able to see the flaws quick and are part of the generation that doesn't just stay quiet and grateful for "it could be worse". 

Edited by beanz

1 minute ago, beanz said:

I'm sure they don't have helping us in their list of priorities but that's supposed to be why we have a union. Like i said a system to improve the crew office would make it better for transit too but i been here long enough to know transit likes to shoot itself in the foot and also to know our union is weak, so u aren't wrong that this is probably as good as it will get. Still, just trying to change the narrative around the new people just being lazy and entitled. They are just able to see the flaws quick and are part of the generation that doesn't just stay quiet and grateful for "it could be worse". 

Brother its not ALL new folks i really think some folks need to understand that why is that a narrative is beyond me.

The ones in these groups are the ones who sadly are getting others painted with a broad brush and i have spoken to lot of new folks who think those folks need to shut it go the correct route if need be instead of looking for sympathy...

We got Folks with time who are nothing but whiners miserable and lazy as eff i see this every day..

I also see Lots new folks hustling getting that grind on doing their jobs. 

They don't take anyone's chit either which i really really like..

17 hours ago, Albertbklyn said:

Probably a drug test, bring everything you did last time and triple check you have everything. 

I went 2 times as well, then medical and sworn in after medical so total of 3 times over 5 month period.

17 hours ago, Albertbklyn said:

hey, went for my second drug test today and the technician said to me congrats on your new position. I asked her did she just let the cat out the bag and she said no transit wants you if this is your second time here. So now just wondering about how long before I get scheduled for the medical. Anyone who did the process already please share your time-line.

1 hour ago, jbolanos said:

hey, went for my second drug test today and the technician said to me congrats on your new position. I asked her did she just let the cat out the bag and she said no transit wants you if this is your second time here. So now just wondering about how long before I get scheduled for the medical. Anyone who did the process already please share your time-line.

I waited three days for the medical appointment. You should expect it by Monday or Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, jbolanos said:

Probably be in the jan 30 class sounds like

9 hours ago, Brivera0529 said:

Hey all,

I have the medical coming up soon for the next class  and I'm in between train operator for the mta and getting interviewed for assistant conductor for metro north . I dont know which one i should lean more into. I haven't been able to find alot of information on metro north assistant conductor but this forum for train operator has been really helpful. Anybody have a clue which would be better in terms of pay , quality of life etc. Any information would be helpful thank you!

def go for the assistant conductor.  i know an AC in LIRR.  waaaaaaay better than TO here. and yes i'm a TO. but if you know me......u know why i said what i said :) 
but here's the boiler plate disclaimer - your mileage may vary.  apply for both. see what u get in. and then decide.  apply for everything.  DM me if u want the real down low

On 1/9/2023 at 4:37 PM, Kaax said:

Re print the entire application and sign. Bring all required documents as well. I was 9/13 pre employment, did it again 1/6/23 and going in for medical 1/13/23. I am in for January 30th class. See ya soon! 

I received notice of my medical for 1/17 and there were 3 attachments on the bottom I was only able to open 2 the last file labeled Day 2 TA  New hire forms_ 11.08.21.pdf. Did not open. Did anyone else have this problem?

3 minutes ago, Charliedragon said:

I received notice of my medical for 1/17 and there were 3 attachments on the bottom I was only able to open 2 the last file labeled Day 2 TA  New hire forms_ 11.08.21.pdf. Did not open. Did anyone else have this problem?

I had no issues. Try forwarding to another email address and use a different browser. Download adobe if you don’t already have it. Some are not fillable through adobe and some are. Read the directions carefully.. Sign But dont date