Some 10D/10E Highlights (w/ some LIRR)

A few days ago, I went to do some SCT Fanning. The first stop was the Hampton Bays Station, where I took the LIRR to get there.

29986310942_23b7a03e9b_b.jpg10D & 10E stop at Hampton Bays LIRR Station by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

I wanted to take 10D & 10E around to see just how low ridership was. I saw the bus, a 10E, turn from Ponquogue Avenue to Good Ground Road, and then stopped. The BO was taking some pictures of the bus, and I was confused as to why he did (Sorry that the picture might seem somewhat fuzzy).

29986311632_d22bea2c24_b.jpg2010 Orion VII "Next Generation" Diesel 1081 on the 10E (Suffolk County Transit) at Hampton Bays Railroad by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

After a while, a police car came over and the came out with some papers that needed to be filled out, so I went over and asked the operator if everything was okay. He said that a truck scraped the side of the bus, but the bus was in good condition to continue running it (he just needed to get in touch with the company and the police just so they know what happened). He told me that the area by Ricky's Plumbing (which is immediately south of the railroad tracks, almost hidden, is a really dangerous area to be in because trucks or other big vehicles back up or head out often without sometimes even noticing that there are other vehicles in the way (but that's partially because the one cannot view anything until after going onto Ponquogue Avenue. 

Here's a police car behind the 10E

29986315502_7b5bf846a7_b.jpg2010 Orion VII "Next Generation" Diesel 1081 on the 10E (Suffolk County Transit) at Hampton Bays Railroad by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

So, the bus essentially went out late, approximately 20 minutes from Hampton Bays Railroad, but eventually went on the 10D route to East Quogue, and back. The people on the bus were very friendly people, which was nice (since they're regulars). 

Here's a picture of the 10D from East Quogue on Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays

30017169121_bdde73f265_b.jpg2010 Orion VII "Next Generation" Diesel 1081 on the 10D (Suffolk County Transit) at Montauk Highway/Springville Road by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

The individual pickups and dropoffs for both the 10E are on this link

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8332062,-72.8570334,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1RpZJJMgy8fP9abkNrKUjZUYvj-w

Then the operator did the 10E loop after the 10D. I got off at the Railroad station instead of doing the full loop back to Macy's, but it didn't really matter (since no one was on anyways). 

Here's a picture of the inside of the bus in service in Hampton Bays (empty)

29986309882_b4db1d2454_b.jpgInterior of 1081 by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

I had 35 minutes to wait for the S92 from there, in order to make a connection to the S62 at Riverhead, get some shots of the 5A, and then take the Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville for the n22x to Jamaica. Well, that did not work out as planned, because well, the S92 was 15 minutes late. So, I missed the S62 by 3 minutes, and now had to wait for another hour. To add insult to injury, the farebox wasn't giving me a transfer, so when the BO picked me up in Hampton Bays, he had to write me out a transfer.

It was pretty depressing waiting in Riverhead in the first place, because there's nothing there, most of everyone there smokes or looks like they on something, and there were some people that looked seedy (although not everyone fell under those categories). I got asked for change there, and I got asked by someone if I can lend them my cellphone to make a call (and they would give me some money in exchange). Then the place was just mad dirty; newspapers all over the place. I managed to talk to this one guy who told me that he missed the 11:40 AM S58, because his first bus passed late (he was going to an interview at Walmart), so he had to wait for the 1:40 PM. It was about 1:20 PM or so, btw. IDK if he could have taken the S62, but that was just brutal, IMO. 

I was pretty pissed, so I didn't manage to get too many shots at Riverhead anyways. Then, 2:00 PM rolled around, and the S62 did not passed. I was starting to get agitated, because I did not want to potentially wait long enough to miss the 4:36 PM from Port Jeff (the next train leaves at 8:34 PM, and taking the bus to Jamaica from there is a bitch to get to). I was getting even more agitated, but then the S66 came. I didn't take my chances, and took that bus, because I knew that I could take the 3:32 PM train from Patchogue (the train was to pass 12 minutes after the S66 arrives in Patchogue).

Towards the end of the route, some guy in the back started throwing insults and yelling, which I did not understand why. At the stop near the district courts, where most get off, the guy started yelling to some teen in front of me if he had a problem with him (in which he shook his head), He said that he wasn't afraid to take him on, because he reps some group or something (Even though I was right there, I forgot most of what he was saying anyways). The altercation spilled outside the bus, and then everyone who remained on the bus (it was me and two other people), watching what was going on out there (the guy was still yelling at the teen, across the street now, and the guy's gf was trying to calm him down). The guy appearently was yelling so much that he forgot some sneakers he got from Marshalls. The two that were left on the bus were checking the shoes out, but left it by the BO. I took some observations of the ridership on the S66, which can be seen here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8332062,-72.8570334,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1RpZJJMgy8fP9abkNrKUjZUYvj-w

We reach the railroad station, and I had the option of taking the S40 or the LIRR (which was to leave in 7 minutes). I quickly bought a ticket, and waited to get on the train. I wasn't going to spend the $10.25 to Jamaica, so I bought a ticket to the farthest I could travel for $3.00 (which was Amityville). I took the train, and then transferred at Babylon for Amityville. I took the n54, and then the n6 local to Jamaica, and then made my way home by subway.

Overall, it's the first time I went to the Hamptons, but getting back was the real struggle (despite the fact that I even took the LIRR). With that, I leave you with:

30017168541_9e9f114226_b.jpg1997-1999 Kawasaki C3 railcar 5018 on Montauk Branch Train 2745 at Patchogue by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

I know it was kinda long, but thanks for reading, and viewing!

...and if you went one more stop, then you would have been in my town of Southampton (10A...the other route to be cut along with the S90). Yeah, that area (Hampton Bays) is alright BUT I like Riverhead because you get more options.

Also, the part of Riverhead...the station itself is a homeless shelter (which the Village once it turned back into a station but that's a long story) so that explains the dirtiness. Mostly parking lots for the courts in the area and there are a couple of delis in the area.

Here's my question, how did you get the S66? I thought that route didn't serve the Riverhead Station? Unless you took a bus to the County Center because that's where the S66 begins/ends.

Oh and 1081 becomes the S92's "little helper" during the evening rush. After the last trip (the 10E) is deadheads to Southampton Village and then goes in service behind usually a 40fter. BOTH buses go to Greenport. I saw that bus yesterday actually.

...and if you went one more stop, then you would have been in my town of Southampton (10A...the other route to be cut along with the S90). Yeah, that area (Hampton Bays) is alright BUT I like Riverhead because you get more options.

Also, the part of Riverhead...the station itself is a homeless shelter (which the Village once it turned back into a station but that's a long story) so that explains the dirtiness. Mostly parking lots for the courts in the area and there are a couple of delis in the area.

Here's my question, how did you get the S66? I thought that route didn't serve the Riverhead Station? Unless you took a bus to the County Center because that's where the S66 begins/ends.

Oh and 1081 becomes the S92's "little helper" during the evening rush. After the last trip (the 10E) is deadheads to Southampton Village and then goes in service behind usually a 40fter. BOTH buses go to Greenport. I saw that bus yesterday actually.

I would have had time to fan more routes than what I wanted to, but since the changes were on such short notice, I didn't have time to plan stuff out (since I had other responsibilities, etc.) I did fan the S35 and 1B.I have a video with the S35, so that counts as something. IMO, there was no feasible way for me to get to do the 10A, 10D, and 10E on the same day, without getting screwed by the Montauk Line schedule, without having to leave extra early, or without me getting home late at night while trying to get back by bus and maybe even LIRR. 

With the 1B, I couldn't get any pictures because the driver on that bus (she was Haitian or something, since she started talking to some other woman who boarded on the bus in some language that sounded kinda like French but not quite), would not let me take pictures of the bus, giving me multiple reasons for me not being able to take pictures. She started being very obnoxious and trying to kick me off the bus at Tanner saying that "this is the last stop. You have to get off, or else you have to pay again" despite that her friend was just riding around. This was the 2:40 PM 1B from Lindenhurst going to Tanner Park. The route had like one actual passenger, and then her friend on, so I see why and fully agree with the route being eliminated. I called SCT the day after to ask if there was a policy against photography, and the lady was asking in a rather snarky tone "Why were you taking pictures of the bus", and other related follow up questions after I explained myself. The funny thing was, she was much calmer after she put on hold, and then told me that there's no rule against it, and even gave me the number for EBT to call in case anything happens like that again.

As for the S66, I took the S92 to the County Center, where all the other routes meet from the south (the S92 goes to the county center before going into the Village towards Orient Point), which is where I was planning to catch the S62 (even if I took the S92 to the railroad station, both the S62 and S92 take the same route to get there, which is why it was useless to try to catch up to it). An S90 rolled around, but stopped short of the stop, and quite frankly, I was not in the mood to walk all the way to where it was (the guy shut the bus off anyways before I could have even made it over there). 

As for 1081, that's very interesting. I wonder why they don't run it back to East Hampton at the very least, instead of going all the way out to Orient Point. It could go out as a 7:30 PM bus to East Hampton, in order to close that 2 hour gap between the 6:10 PM and 8:10 PM departures from the County Center

I would have had time to fan more routes than what I wanted to, but since the changes were on such short notice, I didn't have time to plan stuff out (since I had other responsibilities, etc.) I did fan the S35 and 1B.I have a video with the S35, so that counts as something. IMO, there was no feasible way for me to get to do the 10A, 10D, and 10E on the same day, without getting screwed by the Montauk Line schedule, without having to leave extra early, or without me getting home late at night while trying to get back by bus and maybe even LIRR. 

With the 1B, I couldn't get any pictures because the driver on that bus (she was Haitian or something, since she started talking to some other woman who boarded on the bus in some language that sounded kinda like French but not quite), would not let me take pictures of the bus, giving me multiple reasons for me not being able to take pictures. She started being very obnoxious and trying to kick me off the bus at Tanner saying that "this is the last stop. You have to get off, or else you have to pay again" despite that her friend was just riding around. This was the 2:40 PM 1B from Lindenhurst going to Tanner Park. The route had like one actual passenger, and then her friend on, so I see why and fully agree with the route being eliminated. I called SCT the day after to ask if there was a policy against photography, and the lady was asking in a rather snarky tone "Why were you taking pictures of the bus", and other related follow up questions after I explained myself. The funny thing was, she was much calmer after she put on hold, and then told me that there's no rule against it, and even gave me the number for EBT to call in case anything happens like that again.

As for the S66, I took the S92 to the County Center, where all the other routes meet from the south (the S92 goes to the county center before going into the Village towards Orient Point), which is where I was planning to catch the S62 (even if I took the S92 to the railroad station, both the S62 and S92 take the same route to get there, which is why it was useless to try to catch up to it). An S90 rolled around, but stopped short of the stop, and quite frankly, I was not in the mood to walk all the way to where it was (the guy shut the bus off anyways before I could have even made it over there). 

As for 1081, that's very interesting. I wonder why they don't run it back to East Hampton at the very least, instead of going all the way out to Orient Point. It could go out as a 7:30 PM bus to East Hampton, in order to close that 2 hour gap between the 6:10 PM and 8:10 PM departures from the County Center

More passengers get on between Southampton and Riverhead. You'd be surprised...as was I when I first moved out here nearly 20 years ago.

BM 5 did the S66 really make the right onto William Floyd and then make a U turn to go north on William Floyd?

Also I was wondering how the S66 went from the Court to the Railroad Station. I had thought it would have followed how the S54, S61, and S63 went from the Court to the Railroad Station.

BM 5 did the S66 really make the right onto William Floyd and then make a U turn to go north on William Floyd?

Also I was wondering how the S66 went from the Court to the Railroad Station. I had thought it would have followed how the S54, S61, and S63 went from the Court to the Railroad Station.

Yes, the S66 did go that way; it's the routing it takes in that area (Riverhead buses don't do that).

Yes, the S66 did go that way; it's the routing it takes in that area (Riverhead buses don't do that).

It's intresting that it goes that way since I believe the bus could make the right. Unless there is a stop in that section that was used during the old routing.

It's intresting that it goes that way since I believe the bus could make the right. Unless there is a stop in that section that was used during the old routing.

There is a stop, on William Floyd Parkway, at Neighborhood Drive. That's why they U-turn (from the looks of it). I don't remember if there's a stop between those two points going to Patchogue.

There is a stop, on William Floyd Parkway, at Neighborhood Drive. That's why they U-turn (from the looks of it). I don't remember if there's a stop between those two points going to Patchogue.

Thae one you have listed would have been a Riverhead bound stop. I seem to recall there being a Patchouge Bound stop in that area, though it would have been on the Northbound side since the Patchouge bound bus never made a U-Turn before.

Interesting that they kept a Riverhead Bound stop for Patchouge bound bus, so the S66 went all the way down to Parkview (where the S66 Riverhead use to make its U-Turn) to make the U-Turn or did they reconfigure the intersection  at Neighborhood Road, since a U Turn can't be made at the Neighborhood Road intersection (or at least last I knew)

I recall the Ptachouge Bound bus may have had stop in that area though on the Northbound side. 

The U-Turn on the way to Patchouge was probably started after Suffolk cut the routing south of Neighborhood Road (You probably meant Havenwood Drive, which is the name of the street next to CVS.)  

Interesting that they kept a Riverhead Bound stop for Patchouge bound bus. 

Also that drop of you have on Hirkimer and Montauk, did the bus really drop off there or did it happen across from the Brookhaven Rec Center?

If you had missed the Port Jefferson Branch, you could've stayed on the S62 until Smith Haven and caught one of those buses down to the Ronkonkoma Branch (3D to Central Islip or Brentwood, or the S57/59 to Ronkonkoma). Or even better, gone to Hauppauge and taken the S27 or S33 over to a NICE bus. 

If you had missed the Port Jefferson Branch, you could've stayed on the S62 until Smith Haven and caught one of those buses down to the Ronkonkoma Branch (3D to Central Islip or Brentwood, or the S57/59 to Ronkonkoma). Or even better, gone to Hauppauge and taken the S27 or S33 over to a NICE bus. 

I did consider that, but the schedule is too tight (8 minute connections, some even less). If I missed a bus on a 10 minute connection, then I can definitely miss an 8 minute connection. With the 3D, although it would give me 25 minutes to make a connection, I would miss the train by 3 minutes if I took it to Brentwood, and only 3 minutes to make the connection at Central Islip (both which are not too pleasant places to be waiting another hour for a train for, there's barely anything around the railroad station).

More passengers get on between Southampton and Riverhead. You'd be surprised...as was I when I first moved out here nearly 20 years ago.

I understand. I'm just suggesting that the helper bus turn around at Riverhead, and then go back in service to East Hampton during around 7:30 PM, serving Flanders, Hampton Bays, Southampton, Sag Harbor, and East Hampton. It would close that 2 hour gap in buses, and would likely get more ridership than if it goes all the way out to Orient Point.

Whichday did make the eexpeditio . Friday

Monday

Thae one you have listed would have been a Riverhead bound stop. I seem to recall there being a Patchouge Bound stop in that area, though it would have been on the Northbound side since the Patchouge bound bus never made a U-Turn before.

Interesting that they kept a Riverhead Bound stop for Patchouge bound bus, so the S66 went all the way down to Parkview (where the S66 Riverhead use to make its U-Turn) to make the U-Turn or did they reconfigure the intersection  at Neighborhood Road, since a U Turn can't be made at the Neighborhood Road intersection (or at least last I knew)

I recall the Ptachouge Bound bus may have had stop in that area though on the Northbound side. 

The U-Turn on the way to Patchouge was probably started after Suffolk cut the routing south of Neighborhood Road (You probably meant Havenwood Drive, which is the name of the street next to CVS.)  

Interesting that they kept a Riverhead Bound stop for Patchouge bound bus. 

Also that drop of you have on Hirkimer and Montauk, did the bus really drop off there or did it happen across from the Brookhaven Rec Center?

Actually, I think the U-turn was at Parkview now. I remember passing a 7-11 on William Floyd and looked it up on Google Maps. It's by Brushwood Drive. 

As for the drop off, yes, somebody got dropped off there.

I did consider that, but the schedule is too tight (8 minute connections, some even less). If I missed a bus on a 10 minute connection, then I can definitely miss an 8 minute connection. With the 3D, although it would give me 25 minutes to make a connection, I would miss the train by 3 minutes if I took it to Brentwood, and only 3 minutes to make the connection at Central Islip (both which are not too pleasant places to be waiting another hour for a train for, there's barely anything around the railroad station).

I understand. I'm just suggesting that the helper bus turn around at Riverhead, and then go back in service to East Hampton during around 7:30 PM, serving Flanders, Hampton Bays, Southampton, Sag Harbor, and East Hampton. It would close that 2 hour gap in buses, and would likely get more ridership than if it goes all the way out to Orient Point.

At Brentwood, there's a big shopping plaza across the street from the last stop on the 3D (that the 3D actually turns around in). Just north of the tracks, there's some stores and stuff along Suffolk Avenue. Brentwood's not the best area, but at least there's stuff do so around there.

For that helper bus, yeah it doesn't make much sense to deadhead it from one fork to the other. If it's doing the 10D/E, it makes sense to keep it on the South Fork (not sure offhand where the depot for that company is that operates service out there)

Brentwood is one of things I don't miss about riding the #3D with the regularity I used to....

I would rather wait for a train at Central Islip than at Brentwood any day of the week, even though it is dead as shit around there.... Brent City (unless things have drastically changed in the past couple of years) is not a place you want to be frequenting.... You had (and I'm quite sure still have) locals that were petrified of shopping there....

Don't forget to say hello to the heroin junkies (when they're not sleeping, that is) that hang out in the little wooded area between the bus stops (for NB buses, on the south side of the tracks) & Brent city itself.... Put it this way, it wasn't uncommon to get asked for "spares" while waiting for buses over there - and I'm not talking about a "light" (matches), nor some loosies.... I'm talking about needles - As if I was one of... them !

Actually, I think the U-turn was at Parkview now. I remember passing a 7-11 on William Floyd and looked it up on Google Maps. It's by Brushwood Drive. 

As for the drop off, yes, somebody got dropped off there.

So the U-Turn is still made were the Riverhead Bus made it. So they added the stop you listed and kept the Patchouge bound stop on William Floyd a few feet north of Brushwood (The next street north of Palmetto which is shared with the 7E) that's interesting. I've been wondering how the S66 had been routed since they cut Commack Road and Palmetto and the addition of the Railroad Station and the return of the Court House stop, but I haven't had a reason to take the bus into Patchouge

I'm sorry for any confusion BM5, when I first looked at your map I didn't look at it in zoom and had confused the stop you posted in the Southbound side with the Brushwood and William Floyd stop in the Northbound side. It wasn't until yesterday that I noticed my mistake.

The s92 dosent go to Orient point very late...the last s92 to O.P. from East Hampton leaves E.H at 3:40pm to arrive Orient at 6:10pm...that same bus reposes half hour to resume its service to head back to East Hampton and thus garage at Hampton Jitney as it leaves O.P. at 6:40pm to arrive E.H. at 9:15pm

To much the 2 hour gap of the s92 beyond Greenport is between 2:40pm and 4:40pm...and from 4:40pm to 6:40pm...i guess Sunrise corp. Does this gap to receive more passenger count. ..thus far a traveller of the CSF won't mind waiting 2 hours for a s92 since SEAT buses are bihourly

I'm thinking of hitting up Suffolk tomorrow or Wednesday. I saw Brentwood on the map and I thought it might be a good spot to fan because of all the buses congregating together. But is sounds a lot worse than HTC...

Does Suffolk accept bills, or just coins?

I'm thinking of hitting up Suffolk tomorrow or Wednesday. I saw Brentwood on the map and I thought it might be a good spot to fan because of all the buses congregating together. But is sounds a lot worse than HTC...

I mean, Brentwood is not the best neighborhood to be in in the first place (the stuff that has been on the news lately does not help matters). Not everyone is out to get you, but you would really need to be vigilant and street smart out there. Hempstead isn't good either, but at least they have a designated security team and surveillance around, and other personnel. If something were to happen, there would be a lot of people there who would have witnessed it. Most of the buses stopping at Brentwood RR also go to the Bay Shore area or to Hauppauge, so either area seems like a better bet. 

Suffolk accepts bills.

The s92 dosent go to Orient point very late...the last s92 to O.P. from East Hampton leaves E.H at 3:40pm to arrive Orient at 6:10pm...that same bus reposes half hour to resume its service to head back to East Hampton and thus garage at Hampton Jitney as it leaves O.P. at 6:40pm to arrive E.H. at 9:15pm

To much the 2 hour gap of the s92 beyond Greenport is between 2:40pm and 4:40pm...and from 4:40pm to 6:40pm...i guess Sunrise corp. Does this gap to receive more passenger count. ..thus far a traveller of the CSF won't mind waiting 2 hours for a s92 since SEAT buses are bihourly

Sunrise Coach has nothing to do with the scheduling. The scheduling of routes is done by Suffolk County.

The only way Sunrise Coach would have anything to with the way the runs are is if the County didn't change the timing from how Sunrise Coach ran it prior to the County take over in 1980/81.

I actually like Brentwood from a busfanning perspective. Aside from the 3D, none of the routes that pass there actually terminate at Brentwood, so you get to see the crowds of passengers getting on/off and transferring. There's buses every few minutes in either direction, so it makes you feel like you're on a semi-busy route in NYC (the difference is instead of having one route every 10 minutes, you have 6 routes that generally run once an hour or a little more frequently in some cases).

The Brentwood LIRR station is a busy enough area that nothing should really happen just because there's so many people around. 

Archived