R160

Eastman346

The R160, although rarely have I seen it, is very nice, but really only differs from the R143 by the FIND. I have mixed feelings about it though, I love it because it's new and shiny, but dislike it because it is making old cars such as R32s and whatnot get put out of service, but I guess that's inevitable.

I like them a lot. Virtually everything about them is better, climate control, smoother ride, appearance, seating, grab bar layout and lighting. The things that I don't like are the autmated announcements, when they get buggy they could get very annoying. The electronic route sign is also a minor thing that I don't like about them. I love the old subway bullets.

I don't really like them. They look like the R143 and are pretty similar to the R142/A so I think they are taking away subway diversity. The automated announcements are too quiet. The FIND system is nice, but I don't like how it could be messed up sometimes, and that LCD screen that shows the route bullet does not show the images well and you can see the screen breaking up during transistion.

On my first trip to NYC ever on August 23rd, I made it over to Coney Island Stillwell. We came in on the F (R46 5510) and planned to leave on the N. Myself and another person I was with both wanted R160s on the N since we knew they ran there. We missed one set during a bathroom break. Next time we came up yielded two R68 sets on the N. We passed the first one up. As luck would have it, the next incoming N train was a set of R160Bs! We pretty much decided "this is our ride." So we let the crappy looking R68s led by 2806 go by and got the R160Bs. The consist was (we were in the lead car up near the front) 8768-8769-8770-8771-8772-8788-8789-8790-8791-8792. Got this picture of 8792 pulling into CI.

08232007057.jpg

We all liked the ride. My friend said they were similar to R143s. They do look very similar to the R143s. Looking at pictures, I've found the obvious spotting feature difference between R143s and R160s is the placement of the flag and MTA NYC Subway logo on the front. We took the train to 34th Street Herald Square to head over to Penn Station. I have to get back up there one of these days. I still have around $18.50 left on my Metrocard. I only live outside of Philly so it isn't that hard for me to get up there.

Joe Butler

The automated annoucements ain't too bad. Here in Philly the ones on the El are fine but the Broad Street Line automateds that are being put in on a few sets, I don't really like them as much. I prefer the operator calling out the stops cause at least you have a better chance of understanding if you're not from around here. The R160 annoucements were clear. I also liked the board showing the next 10 stops and the last 5 stops.

Hey Joe! Hope your trip to New York was a pleasant one. I get to ride one everyday on the (N) and I'm liking them more and more. One thing I noticed is the FIND is almost always wrong or stuck in the wrong position. This morning is was stuck at Kings Highway.

Oh, and another thing I like about the R160s and it only takes two words, "Siemens Propulsion....."

Sickest sound in the system right now. Was lucky to get on the 8843-8852 set yesterday and boy was the T/O moving. Oh, and expect another set to be out soon, saw 8858 in CI Yard yesterday.

what do you guys think about the R160 subway car? should it be the car that most routes use?

NO!

Although I would prefer it over certain subway car models, I don't want every single train I see to be a R160, that would be too boring. And plus the R160 doesn't have the Wonderful Rail Fan Window, which is very bad.

Hey Joe! Hope your trip to New York was a pleasant one. I get to ride one everyday on the (N) and I'm liking them more and more. One thing I noticed is the FIND is almost always wrong or stuck in the wrong position. This morning is was stuck at Kings Highway.

Haha that happens alot. Last time I was on a R160 it was stuck on 86th Street. it was showing 86th street when I got on at Union Square so i guess it must have been stuck on it for a long time

I was on an R160 for the first time yesterday (8/31).

I started my little trip (well, if you can consider an 80-minute ride a "trip") around 3:15. Left from my home station on the (5), which I took to 59th Street. Got off, went up to the (N)/(W) platform. A downtown (W) arrived first, and then right after that, an R160 Queens-bound (N). Didn't get a seat, but at least I was able to check it out and see it for the first time. Took the (N) to the next stop, Queensboro Plaza, and then transferred onto a Manhattan-bound (7). Stayed on the (7) until the end, Times Square, and then caught a (2) back home to the Bronx.

Oh, and another thing I like about the R160s and it only takes two words, "Siemens Propulsion....."

Sickest sound in the system right now. Was lucky to get on the 8843-8852 set yesterday and boy was the T/O moving. Oh, and expect another set to be out soon, saw 8858 in CI Yard yesterday.

Just another thing I like about the R160 that goes, all too often, unnoticed.

• 1 month later...
On Thursday I finally got to operate a R160 in Z service it was great. The pick up and braking was wonderful. On the Willy B I got the train up to 34 MPH upgrade before braking for the timers unlike the R 42 top speed 28MPH up the hill.

That sounds like an improvement if I know one. There's just one question I've got for you: what's the cab like? I've always been curious, especially about what appear to be touch screens...

Archived