NYCDOT on Traffic Signal Priority and Future TSP Expansion

bobtehpanda

This is very important. I hope the DOT can keep a good pace for this. Transit Center (transitcenter.org), who i recommend all of you explore the fantastic work they do, has done a lot for this. Has anyone heard of bus turnaround nyc? That's them. They actually very recently put out a video of a song they made about TSP. it's slightly cringy, but all in good fun. Here it is:

(I really hope vimeo links work for this feature ha ha.)

https://vimeo.com/226769799

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So from my understanding, it's a corridor-wide program (in other words, the same GPS system that they use for BusTime is used to detect how far the bus is from the signal, so if say an S93 went up to a signal on Victory, it would have the same effect as an S62/92, correct?). The same thing with an S59/89 or express bus along Richmond Avenue in the S79's portion of the route.

So from my understanding, it's a corridor-wide program (in other words, the same GPS system that they use for BusTime is used to detect how far the bus is from the signal, so if say an S93 went up to a signal on Victory, it would have the same effect as an S62/92, correct?). The same thing with an S59/89 or express bus along Richmond Avenue in the S79's portion of the route.

But in that case the light would never change during rush hour especially along Hylan.

Once all the buses are equipped with TSP, yes.

But in that case the light would never change during rush hour especially along Hylan.

Idk how TSP works with multiple buses but I do know that there's a time limit on the extended green. When the bus triggers the extended green, it'll hold it (within the limit) until the bus enters the intersection and then flip it to yellow.

Once all the buses are equipped with TSP, yes.

Idk how TSP works with multiple buses but I do know that there's a time limit on the extended green. When the bus triggers the extended green, it'll hold it (within the limit) until the bus enters the intersection and then flip it to yellow.

But it's also supposed to create an early green so the cross lights wouldn't be very long.

Queue lights don't exist. You mean queue jump lanes. See this video.

These would work perfectly with TSP. (There’s no point in having the queue jump lights activated when there is no bus, so some system must already be in place to know when a bus is present.)

That's true, I forgot about that, but that's because the bus would have a difficult time getting to the bridge since it has to cross like 4 lanes of traffic.

I was thinking more about 125th at since I was on the M60 a few weeks ago and there were double parked vehicles in the bus lane and it took forever to get across to the IND.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Archived