Blizzard Aftermath!

I Run Trains

Although on a more serious note, why run arctics or even have them on the road in the first place?

They were brought out because they didn't have enough 40'ers to run service alone with the normal weekday schedule, and didn't have enough time to make a modified schedule to allow most artics to not run.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A better question is why in the hell is there snow covering the entire inside of a brand new bus?? <_<

Unless the bus became a malfunctioning convertible in the middle of a frickin' blizzard, or someone ran outta space to throw leftover snow, then the doors or windows must've been left open, I have yet to wonder why :huh:?! Definitely was out of service 

5 hours ago, OIG119 said:

They were brought out because they didn't have enough 40'ers to run service alone with the normal weekday schedule, and didn't have enough time to make a modified schedule to allow most artics to not run.

But we knew it was gonna snow Tuesday. 

When I moved here in 2013, the first snow that December was predicted to be bad enough that only 40 footers ran on both Bx12s.

Did they retire too many 40 footers in favor of artics, or did no one watch Lee Goldberg or Bill Evans all week?

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A better question is why in the hell is there snow covering the entire inside of a brand new bus?? <_<

It's possible the electronics quick working and the driver couldn't get the doors shut once he (she) left the bus.   I'm not sure if closing them manually is possible.

Frankie

I know a lot of folks are claiming this was an un-avoidable situation, but the fact is that's wrong and this could have seen some B/Os getting hurt. People should be holding Transit's feet to the fire, not defending the norm. There could have been an easy announcement of a Saturday or Sunday schedule (it was a snow day, school trippers would have been cancelled anyway, and vastly fewer people were commuting), we could have seen SI buses (huge number of school trippers) easily pulled to other boroughs like we saw a couple years back to replace TU's artics, and we could have seen reserve buses activated in anticipation. Just didn't need to run 60-footers in anywhere near the number that they did this year. At the least, 60-footers could have been kept to Manhattan (better-plowed streets, slightly less snow) with the far Queens routes running 40-footers. Just bad planning all around.

Archived