City Council Votes to Cap Uber, & Lyft - Calls Out MTA To Improve Reliability of Service

Via Garibaldi 8

NYC TRANSPORTATION

NYC enacts first-of-its-kind cap on Uber, for-hire vehicles

The legislation will prevent the TLC from issuing new licenses for for-hire vehicles for one year

By Amy Plitt@plitter  Aug 8, 2018, 4:26pm EDT

1007904972.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images

It’s official: The New York City Council voted today to place a moratorium on the number of for-hire vehicles on city streets, as part of a package of bills intended to address the unbridled growth of ride-hailing services in the city.

“We’re going to regulate Uber, and we’re going to make history in New York,” council member Ruben Diaz Sr., who was chair of the council’s for-hire vehicles (FHV) committee, said before the vote took place.

Though there was some dissent among council members, the package of five bills passed with an overwhelming majority. Those bills will, among other things, stop the Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) from issuing new FHV licenses while the city studies their impact (though wheelchair-accessible vehicles are exempt from the cap); set a minimum wage for FHV drivers; and enact new regulations on high-volume apps like Uber and Lyft, requiring them to provide data on usage and charges, as well as impose a fine of $10,000 for those who do not comply.

“It’s not easy taking on Silicon Valley behemoths, but we kept on fighting for what we know is right and today the workers prevailed,” said Ryan Price, the executive director of the Independent Drivers Guild, which represents more than 65,000 FHV drivers in New York. “We are thankful to the New York City officials who listened to the stories of drivers who are struggling to support their families and stood by us in this fight.”

In the past few years, the number of for-hire vehicles on city streets has ballooned to 130,000, with many of those drivers using ride-hailing apps like Uber and Lyft to get fares. And while that has led to a huge shift in the way New Yorkers get around, it has also increased congestion in a huge way—according to recent analysis by Bruce Schaller, “Uber and Lyft trips have increased daily traffic on NYC streets by millions of miles a day, and that mileage without a paying customer in the car accounts for a disproportionate share of this added traffic,” per Streetsblog.

The rise of ride-hailing services has also impacted the mental well-being of drivers, who’ve contended with lost wages and higher operating costs as more FHVs have hit city streets. (Six taxi drivers have taken their own lives since the beginning of 2018, with the common thread being financial struggles caused by competition from FHVs.)

Earlier in the day, the FHV committee, which was convened in January, quickly approved the measures after opening remarks from Ruben Diaz, as well as council members Stephen Levin and Brad Lander. Levin, who sponsored the legislation that would limit FHVs, called the package of bills a “thoughtful and measured” response to the dramatic rise in licenses for app-based drivers.

Members of the FHV committee were also careful to note that the bills aren’t intended to put a heavier burden on New Yorkers in the outer boroughs, or those who’ve experienced discrimination from traditional taxi services. Francisco Moya stated that the council is “not intending to take away services,” and noted that the TLC can ignore the cap or issue new licenses if the cap is adversely affecting New Yorkers.

Uber and Lyft have been the most vocal opponents of the City Council proposal, arguing that a on cap FHVs will lead to a massive disruption in service for New Yorkers, in the form of reduced service and higher fares.

“The City’s 12-month pause on new vehicle licenses will threaten one of the few reliable transportation options while doing nothing to fix the subways or ease congestion,” Alix Anfang, a spokesperson for Uber, said in a statement. “We take the Speaker at his word that the pause is not intended to reduce service for New Yorkers and we trust that he will hold the TLC accountable, ensuring that no New Yorker is left stranded.”

“These sweeping cuts to transportation will bring New Yorkers back to an era of struggling to get a ride, particularly for communities of color and in the outer boroughs,” Lyft’s VP of public policy Joseph Okpaku said in a statement. “We will never stop working to ensure New Yorkers have access to reliable and affordable transportation in every borough.”

Those fears are not unfounded; the taxi industry has a long history of discrimination against people of color, and civil rights groups (including the NAACP) came out against the cap. To address that problem, the city will establish a new Office of Inclusion at the TLC, with the goal of “ensur[ing] that all passengers receive the service they expect, and to which they are legally entitled.”

“We will be watching the TLC closely to make sure they are focused on the needs of all New Yorkers in all boroughs,” council member Helen Rosenthal said during the hearing.

Rosenthal also addressed the other elephant in the room: the lack of solid, reliable subway and bus service from the MTA, which led many New Yorkers to flee to ride-hailing apps in the first place. “If we could count on the MTA, and they actually addressed the serious problem of transit deserts, we would not be in this situation,” Rosenthal noted during the hearing. (Alas, that’s a whole other issue that is largely out of the City Council’s hands—particularly when it comes to pushing through congestion pricing to address the transit crisis.)

The legislation now moves to Mayor Bill de Blasio for final approval. “The unchecked growth of app-based for-hire vehicle companies has demanded action—and now we have it,” De Blasio said in a statement issued after the vote. “More than 100,000 workers and their families will see an immediate benefit from this legislation. And this action will stop the influx of cars contributing to the congestion grinding our streets to a halt.”

Source: https://ny.curbed.com/2018/8/8/17664102/new-york-uber-lyft-for-hire-vehicles-regulation

What the MTA needs to do is to take a page from Philadelphia, Houston, Baltimore, Washington DC, Seattle, Connecticut and really address the issues with Lyft and Uber by really establishing bus service in desert areas. This should of been done years ago. We shouldn't have to wait 3 years for a scratchpad or a clean slate for all bus routes throughout the city to have a re-design. That right there is really unfair. For starters the Staten Island Express bus re-design is completely bascura. Even though it didn't hit the ground running yet there are complaints already about the schedule. No express bus should have a 30 min wait. Not for a big city like this.

We got smaller cities that are making better strides in transit than New York, and we supposed to be the best city of the world when it comes to transit. Honestly, I beg to differ. I can't even tell you the last I utilized a New York City bus or subway let alone b/c of the subpar service that it's displaying. Part of this is politics between City Council, Mayor, Governor. Another part is the people who commute on a daily basis and we can go on and on.... That's for another day.

However, what needs to be done is we shouldn't have to wait for a 3 year scratchpad on all bus routes.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

What the MTA needs to do is to take a page from Philadelphia, Houston, Baltimore, Washington DC, Seattle, Connecticut and really address the issues with Lyft and Uber by really establishing bus service in desert areas. This should of been done years ago. We shouldn't have to wait 3 years for a scratchpad or a clean slate for all bus routes throughout the city to have a re-design. That right there is really unfair. For starters the Staten Island Express bus re-design is completely bascura. Even though it didn't hit the ground running yet there are complaints already about the schedule. No express bus should have a 30 min wait. Not for a big city like this.

We got smaller cities that are making better strides in transit than New York, and we supposed to be the best city of the world when it comes to transit. Honestly, I beg to differ. I can't even tell you the last I utilized a New York City bus or subway let alone b/c of the subpar service that it's displaying. Part of this is politics between City Council, Mayor, Governor. Another part is the people who commute on a daily basis and we can go on and on.... That's for another day.

However, what needs to be done is we shouldn't have to wait for a 3 year scratchpad on all bus routes.

Some X buses are just fine with 30min headway. Weekends AM to Staten island X10 I constantly would have 10-15people MAX on my bus , that does not need increases.

Not a fan of this. This is limiting the amount of rides there is in the city and in turn raising the fare for all ride share passenger.

Counting on the MTA... no way. MTA subway is somewhat decent because it at least it runs on a decent headway all hours. MTA Bus... no way. Other cities bus comes ON TIME on schedule even if they run less frequantly. MTA? Missing buses, bunches up buses AT 11PM (how is that possible IN QUEENS?) Late buses and when riders decide to give up and call a cab because of this crappy service, instead of improving their offerings, they pull out “THE GUIDELINE” and cut back service to the point of useless. (30 min headway after 7PM) At 30 min the buses will STILL BUNCH and the wait ends up being one hour. 

Overall I want to see improvement before regulation on the alternatives. 

Oh BTW MTA is projecting a 0.9% (or something like that) increase in their board meeting material for bus ridership. I expect a fall of 15%

11 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I'd prefer that they ban TLC plates from highways (or the left lane at least), it's always them cruising in the Left and middle lanes, always the slowest vehicles causing congestion and weaving.

Them being the slowest vehicles out there and cruising slow in left lane? What sort of twilight zone is this ?

22 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Uber and Lyft taking another hit. With so much protest from taxi drivers around the world over the way the two companies do business it's no surprise this passed. 

If New York can't take pages from Houston: http://www.streetfilms.org/high-frequency-why-houston-is-back-on-the-bus/

Austin: http://transitcenter.org/2018/07/25/austins-capital-metro-pulled-off-bus-network-redesign/

Forget all this cap on Uber/Lyft.. The (MTA) has to seriously address this issue at once.

16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

That's already being with the Staten Island express buses. Re-designing routes is a great idea, it just needs time, planning, and will for it to be a success. 

16 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Is your Icon from Rhythm Heaven?

A parody of it.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:54 AM, Future ENY OP said:

You actually get a ticket for that slow driving down south. Left lane is reserved for EXPRESS DRIVING ONLY. 

Nope. Basic speed law applies.

You only get cited IF your driving in a passing lane is too dangerous for conditions - like forcing people to pass on your right when traffic is flowing 10mph above the limit, or you're doing 70 in a 55 when traffic is flowing at 60.

Dunno if it happens out here but in California - back when I wanted to be a cop, we could do ridealongs with PD or Highway Patrol to get a feel for the job and cop logic.

Doubtful NYPD does it, but I'm sure State PD and Nassau/Westchester might. Apply for it, do it, and make sure that you almost never get a ticket again cuz you'll know how to avoid the situations they'll get you for.

3 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

That's already being with the Staten Island express buses. Re-designing routes is a great idea, it just needs time, planning, and will for it to be a success. 

A parody of it.

That's pretty cool.

22 minutes ago, Deucey said:

You only get cited IF your driving in a passing lane is too dangerous for conditions - like forcing people to pass on your right when traffic is flowing 10mph above the limit, or you're doing 70 in a 55 when traffic is flowing at 60.

Dunno if it happens out here but in California - back when I wanted to be a cop, we could do ridealongs with PD or Highway Patrol to get a feel for the job and cop logic.

Doubtful NYPD does it, but I'm sure State PD and Nassau/Westchester might. Apply for it, do it, and make sure that you almost never get a ticket again cuz you'll know how to avoid the situations they'll get you for.

You have any other examples?

I see some officers get frustrated when driving behind motorists doing the speed limit (because it's too slow). haha

5 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Here’s the problem tho. It took 3 years to deal with the first project plus there was ample opportunity to fix and each area to have its own SIM route # with no abbreviations. Also, the travel direction of some of these buses are horrendous. I believe in change and patience is needed. When I have a day off soon I’m going to travel on 1 of these SIM buses. Staten Island Mall to Midtown or Downtown and give a real assessment plus time will tell if NYC’s re-design is positive or failure. 

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

Washington State is pretty aggressive about ticketing left lane campers in certain locations.

Of course, due to the topography Seattle is also full of left lane exits, so it's a bit bigger of an issue.

4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Washington State is pretty aggressive about ticketing left lane campers in certain locations.

Of course, due to the topography Seattle is also full of left lane exits, so it's a bit bigger of an issue.

I'd figure it'd be more lenient because of the left exits.

CHP used to be on 99 between Modesto and Fresno, but that's changed since CalTrans is rebuilding it to get approved as Interstate 7, so all the left exits (a few of which had the CA-99 shield fall off to show the old US-99 shield) are either gone or about to be.

13 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

now what i should if i have to wait over 1 hour for a bus, wait another 1 hour for a bus to hopefully come?..i am forced to take uberlyft due to non-exist service.

I walk from 49th/Madison to South Ferry regularly.

Kwitcherbitchin, since before Uber (unless you've never been here until you got accepted to Touro College), you called a car service to pick you up or waited at a bus stop for the gypsy cabs to stop and let you in.

When did people become so dependent on tech to live life?

22 hours ago, Deucey said:

@Deucey: Haven’t had a speeding ticket since 2015. Highway 2 (Brooklyn) and Highway 3 (Queens) cops I deal on a regular and I simply get free passes now.  However, I do get your point on that.

My logic is simply this. It’s frustrating when you driving slow on the left lane unless theres congestion. The speed limits in New York State are too low. By luck you can catch 65 mph on the thruway heading upstate. However, in the city it’s 40mph to 50mph on the FDR and most expressways.  

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Haven’t had a speeding ticket since 2015. Highway 2 (Brooklyn) and Highway 3 (Queens) cops I deal on a regular and I simply get free passes now.  However, I do get your point on that.

It's pretty common knowledge that speed doesn't kill - it's other drivers wanting to play highway patrol and the folks who forget they're not the only ones on the road that do...

Last big fog-related accident on Interstate 5 was one I missed by one car. Maybe 1/16 visibility, but usually folks who "can drive" caravan at high speed through it (say 65 in a 70).

I'm stuck behind this Prius that wants to go 40. I and everyone behind me is high beaming this dude, and finally, the rig next to us slows to 35 so the four of us can pass on the right. Three of us make it, then the Prius driver just cuts to the right lane as the fourth driver starts his pass - causes the rig to swerve and hit #4 who then hits the Prius and next thing I see in my rear views is all these cars banging into each other.

All because some CHP wannabe didn't want to be passed...

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

It's pretty common knowledge that speed doesn't kill - it's other drivers wanting to play highway patrol and the folks who forget they're not the only ones on the road that do...

Last big fog-related accident on Interstate 5 was one I missed by one car. Maybe 1/16 visibility, but usually folks who "can drive" caravan at high speed through it (say 65 in a 70).

I'm stuck behind this Prius that wants to go 40. I and everyone behind me is high beaming this dude, and finally, the rig next to us slows to 35 so the four of us can pass on the right. Three of us make it, then the Prius driver just cuts to the right lane as the fourth driver starts his pass - causes the rig to swerve and hit #4 who then hits the Prius and next thing I see in my rear views is all these cars banging into each other.

Yikes. Now that’s really bad. Was this in Nor Cal or So Cal? That I-5 is very dangerous. Only for experienced drivers. 

19 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yikes. Now that’s really bad. Was this in Nor Cal or So Cal? That I-5 is very dangerous. Only for experienced drivers. 

NorCal - south of Elk Grove (Sacramento) - out there when it's not a drought year we'd get that nasty tule fog. And I drove through it daily for years from Fair Oaks (NE Sacramento County) to Stockton (Hammer Lane).

After that wreck I took CA-99 no matter what, since that 3-5 mile distance from I-5 gave it less fog (5 is always within 3 miles of the Sac and San Joaquin Rivers in the Sacramento and Northern part of the Central Valleys).

Best part about driving in NYC is that there's never tule fog in the boroughs - if visibility is close to zero, it's a blizzard.

12 hours ago, Deucey said:

Speed don't kill, but speed does increase the severity of whatever happens if people f**k up, particularly speed differential. Hence the whole Vision Zero thing, since car at 40MPH and pedestrian at 3MPH is no good..

Archived