Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

18 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Been there, done that. I used to live on the (A) for 2 1/2 years and even when the (C) used to run to Rock Park. 

So you know that the express bus would be longer than any of the subway lines with the route you're proposing.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TDL said:

So you know that the express bus would be longer than any of the subway lines with the route you're proposing.

Since you said that buses are NOT allowed to use Shore/Belt Parkway, that would lead up to the Gowanus Expwy and to the Carey Tunnel for a trip downtown. 

On 8/15/2023 at 1:47 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

Ha, I posted the same question here a while ago but never got a response. I think this folded up wheelchair seat nonsense is another game the B/Os are playing because I've seen a grand total on 2 wheelchair riders since the Prevosts started running, and I never used to see this on the MCIs. Now I see it on both kinds of buses very frequently.

Even if the seats are properly spaced, sometimes the seat is flipped up and the B/O ties the seatbelt in such a way that it it is very difficult to release the seat down to sit on it. This nonsense drives me insane.

On 8/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, 7-express said:

Yeah I'm thinking the seat belts are tied up in some crazy way that makes it difficult to move unless you got on your hands and knees.  Something I'll have to try in the future just to spite them.  CP bus drivers are really the worst.  I'm not even sure why so many wheelchair seats are tied up unless they like sleeping on the floor in between runs or something.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some B/Os forgot how to reset them too, it's not like they get used very often. At this point, I feel like you'd have better luck emailing Prevost how to move the seats than asking here.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some B/Os forgot how to reset them too, it's not like they get used very often. At this point, I feel like you'd have better luck emailing Prevost how to move the seats than asking here.

I suspect darker intentions, mostly because I get the same few B/O's on different buses who magically always have the seats pushed up. Only one time have I actually seen a wheelchair passenger on board

On 8/17/2023 at 12:52 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

I suspect darker intentions, mostly because I get the same few B/O's on different buses who magically always have the seats pushed up. Only one time have I actually seen a wheelchair passenger on board

I wouldn't rule that out either.

On 8/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, FLX9304 said:

Since you said that buses are NOT allowed to use Shore/Belt Parkway, that would lead up to the Gowanus Expwy and to the Carey Tunnel for a trip downtown. 

Exactly. So going via Midtown is longer than just using the (A)

Just now, TDL said:

Exactly. So going via Midtown is longer than just using the (A)

You cannot run via Cross Bay/LIE/Midtown and expect any time savings. It would actually be longer.

You cannot run via the Belt either

You would have to run via. Flatbush Ave/Foster Ave/Prospect Expressway/Battery Tunnel, and that would be only slightly longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty bad start for the new pick today.  My AM bus suddenly decided to stop at local bus stops and actually pick up people (strange sight) and my PM bus driver got lost and end up taking the 20th Avenue exit, requiring a backtrack all the way to Linden Place.  Definitely some greenhorns running around today.

On 9/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, 7-express said:

Pretty bad start for the new pick today.  My AM bus suddenly decided to stop at local bus stops and actually pick up people (strange sight) and my PM bus driver got lost and end up taking the 20th Avenue exit, requiring a backtrack all the way to Linden Place.  Definitely some greenhorns running around today.

Oh wow. I've seen some new faces, but no one got lost so far in my routes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Question to the board.

When the new Queens Bus design goes into effect, will the B53 begin it's operation too?

Will this route replace the current B46 on Broadway, replace the 32, and 24?

What of the other routes?

Something doesn't add up.

15 hours ago, BelieveinMe said:

Question to the board.

When the new Queens Bus design goes into effect, will the B53 begin it's operation too?

Will this route replace the current B46 on Broadway, replace the 32, and 24?

What of the other routes?

Something doesn't add up.

We have separate discussion boards here having to do with both the Brooklyn and Queens redesigns.  

39 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

We have separate discussion boards here having to do with both the Brooklyn and Queens redesigns.  

I know that, Bill.

I asked Here, because the B53 was and Is part of the Queens plan,as proposed And presented there First.

Good to see you too.

THank god I've been able to avoid having to take the bus too many times per week because of some job modifications. It's been a while since I encountered a real a-hole B/O, but today's guy on the QM1 takes the cake. He blocked off 4 sets of seats (i.e., both sides of the two front rows) with his personal belongings and tying all the seatbelts together like a spider web, plus he flipped up all of the wheelchair seats. The bus ended up getting fairly crowded, so a lady flips down one wheelchair seat. The B/O starts yelling at her "I put that seat up for a reason! You can't put down the seat" Meanwhile, she got on at the last pick-up stop so there is clearly no wheelchair passenger. The lady apologizes and moves to a different seat. If it was me, I would have yelled "what is the reason? Go ahead and call command and tell them your reason for blocking seats and causing an ADA violation. Let's see what they say, jacka**"

I was too tired to take pictures and report the B/O like I used to do, because nothing ever happens anyway to get these guys in trouble.

19 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

THank god I've been able to avoid having to take the bus too many times per week because of some job modifications. It's been a while since I encountered a real a-hole B/O, but today's guy on the QM1 takes the cake. He blocked off 4 sets of seats (i.e., both sides of the two front rows) with his personal belongings and tying all the seatbelts together like a spider web, plus he flipped up all of the wheelchair seats. The bus ended up getting fairly crowded, so a lady flips down one wheelchair seat. The B/O starts yelling at her "I put that seat up for a reason! You can't put down the seat" Meanwhile, she got on at the last pick-up stop so there is clearly no wheelchair passenger. The lady apologizes and moves to a different seat. If it was me, I would have yelled "what is the reason? Go ahead and call command and tell them your reason for blocking seats and causing an ADA violation. Let's see what they say, jacka**"

I was too tired to take pictures and report the B/O like I used to do, because nothing ever happens anyway to get these guys in trouble.

This is part of the reason why although I'm unhappy with the proposed cuts to service, I can see them going through with it. Between the constant history of drivers being extremely rude, showing up intentionally late, and kicking passengers off early. Their poor quality of service standards hurts the appeal of riding the express bus. Even a decade ago when I was riding the express buses for the first time I was dealing with this nonsense, and back then I thought that eventually, it's gonna bite them in the a** when people stop riding and the MTA starts cutting. Looking at the numbers today, people aren't riding and now the MTA is trying to cut service. It's too bad that these cuts will affect the rookies, not those who have been miserable for years.

On 3/20/2024 at 1:06 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

I am noticing on the newer buses I get on, at least one wheelchair seat is flipped up or pulled forward for no real reason.  I don't get why a B/O would do this...other than decrease overall capacity of the bus?

The front seat being blocked offer never ended on CP buses but they'll generally let a regular move it and sit up there, at least on the ones I've been on.

Don't get me started about service reliability/service delivery.  It's been atrocious over the last couple of months with missing runs and proven by the MTA's own stats.

5 hours ago, 7-express said:

I am noticing on the newer buses I get on, at least one wheelchair seat is flipped up or pulled forward for no real reason.  I don't get why a B/O would do this...other than decrease overall capacity of the bus?

The front seat being blocked offer never ended on CP buses but they'll generally let a regular move it and sit up there, at least on the ones I've been on.

Don't get me started about service reliability/service delivery.  It's been atrocious over the last couple of months with missing runs and proven by the MTA's own stats.

I 100% believe the BOs do it to keep people off of their buses so they can have empty runs. I think since covid, they got spoiled woth empty buses and never wa t to go back to full runs

49 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I 100% believe the BOs do it to keep people off of their buses so they can have empty runs. I think since covid, they got spoiled woth empty buses and never wa t to go back to full runs

It doesn't make sense to me though.  Folding up a row or two of wheelchair seats won't significantly reduce demand or occupancy.  Other than annoy the couple people who can't sit there anymore.

2 hours ago, 7-express said:

It doesn't make sense to me though.  Folding up a row or two of wheelchair seats won't significantly reduce demand or occupancy.  Other than annoy the couple people who can't sit there anymore.

I know it sounds crazy, but these guys will do anything to annoy passengers so they stop going on that bus. I've seen them be incredibly petty with passengers they don't like

15 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Empty buses is a great way for them to lose work due to service cuts.

15 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

No.  The operators at College Point do whatever they want.  It's a total lack of supervision.

4 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Empty buses is a great way for them to lose work due to service cuts.

MTA wants that because they don't like express anyways. In terms of College Point operators behaving badly, one of the unofficial reasons the QM4 was moved to Baisley Park in 2016 was because College Point had poor attendance and moving the QM4 and having less express work at College Point was supposed to send a message to the union leadership

On 3/26/2024 at 10:09 AM, Bill from Maspeth said:

No.  The operators at College Point do whatever they want.  It's a total lack of supervision.

Right, that is my point. The CP B/Os don't have any consequences for their actions, so they do everything they can to avoid having to work. You may remember my posts from the height of covid, when I had to get VG8 to contact MTA higher-ups to get the dispatchers to meet me at my stop, to catch the B/Os who were turning off their signs and blowing past me, so they could have empty buses and not drive into the city.

Ever since then, I've noticed that B/Os don't say "you're welcome" when folks say "thank you", they don't kneel the bus, they block seats, they sit at the terminal and leave a few minutes late consistently, and all sorts of other small things that just drive away riders over time.

I actually did listen to a City Council hearing from a few days ago, with Richard Davey, who made a point of saying they are looking into expanding EXP service concurrent with congestion pricing, but then also noted that absenteeism on the DOB side is statistically significantly higher now than in years past, and they didn't really indicate any solutions to this. He did also note they are trying to improve bus tracking to include tracking on detours, which is nice.