Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

On 2/4/2023 at 2:52 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

He has a schedule.  He could get written up by an SLD if he's early.  "There's always an excuse to be late, but never an excuse to be early".

Bad schedule, bad route, bad drivers that's the perfect storm to end up loosing everything and the redesign isn't helping either. Guess well have to wait and see if they salvage this in the final draft or not. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/3/2023 at 10:36 PM, IAlam said:

As much as I hate to say it if CP looses most of their express runs because of the redesign it’s on them. I can’t keep defending express buses when I can barely rely on them. I’m definitely at the point where I’m starting to view the LIRR even during peak as a better option. I’m on a bus now probably the first time in months and the op is just dragging his bus on QB stopping early on every red. Luckily I’m not in a hurry today but idk how normal riders put up with this. 

As an express bus rider, College Point is one of those depots where I avoid conflict. If the B/O asks on where I am going, I tell my destination and sit in the back until I reach the place I'm going. There are some operators that are positive, while others are negative. I can agree that College Point needs an massive improvement for better ridership and better service. Other depots that are better experience-wise is Spring Creek, Far Rockaway, Staten Island, and Yonkers.

Edited by RSMG106

20 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

As an express bus rider, College Point is one of those depots where I avoid conflict. If the B/O asks on where I am going, I tell my destination and sit in the back until I reach the place I'm going. There are some operators that are positive, while others are negative. I can agree that College Point needs an massive improvement for better ridership and better service. Other depots that are better experience-wise is Spring Creek, Far Rockaway, Staten Island, and Yonkers.

I genuinely believe it's the management there, going back to what VG8 said if the union leader doesn't care and I doubt the management does either. It's not a surprise that bus ops are doing their own thing. At CP it seems like you can get away with quite a bit as long as you don't hit anything with you bus. A good chunk of BO's there will only worry about what management will hound them over, and if management doesn't care, then there is no incentive for them to care either. This is why they were getting away with just dumping everyone off at Herald Sq for the longest time until a big enough fuss was made for them to actually do their job.

• 2 weeks later...

Did something crazy happen at CP depot this morning?  BusTime Looks like this with similar effect on the QM1/4/5/6/7/8/10/11/12:

Service Alert for QM2 + Click for info

The 7:07am QM2 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:23am QM2 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:15am QM2 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:43am QM2 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 6:57am QM2 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:33am QM2 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 6:45am QM2 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

Service Alert for QM20 + Click for info

The 7:46am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:34am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:16am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:02am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:22am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:40am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 6:52am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 6:42am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

The 7:28am QM20 to E 57 ST/LEXINGTON AV is canceled

Service Alert for QM32 + Click for info

The 7:30am QM32 to 3 AV/E 55 ST is canceled

The 6:50am QM32 to 3 AV/E 55 ST is canceled

The 7:40am QM32 to 3 AV/E 55 ST is canceled

The 7:20am QM32 to 3 AV/E 55 ST is canceled

The 7:10am QM32 to 3 AV/E 55 ST is canceled

9 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Did something crazy happen at CP depot this morning?  BusTime Looks like this with similar effect on the QM1/4/5/6/7/8/10/11/12:

I'm pretty sure some of this is a glitch on BusTime. They've been having some serious issues lately where it shows almost every trip is cancelled, then they clear it. I had worked with the (MTA) to fix it on the X27 & X28, but it keeps popping up and now it is spreading to other lines. The QM1 is running just fine, yet it shows almost every QM1 trip is cancelled. One way to confirm this is to check the (MTA) social media feeds. If the trips aren't posted there, it's usually a glitch because they normally post there first and then BusTime is updated with the same info. Example is below... 

331323216_583318053387897_29272708962539

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 2/15/2023 at 7:46 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm pretty sure some of this is a glitch on BusTime. They've been having some serious issues lately where it shows almost every trip is cancelled, then they clear it. I had worked with the (MTA) to fix it on the X27 & X28, but it keeps popping up and now it is spreading to other lines. The QM1 is running just fine, yet it shows almost every QM1 trip is cancelled. One way to confirm this is to check the (MTA) social media feeds. If the trips aren't posted there, it's usually a glitch because they normally post there first and then BusTime is updated with the same info. Example is below... 

331323216_583318053387897_29272708962539

These alerts are so useless, i almost wish they would stop. Even today, a QM31 was emailed and listed as canceled in the PM but it did run and i took it home,  because I had a feeling it would run 

51 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

These alerts are so useless, i almost wish they would stop. Even today, a QM31 was emailed and listed as canceled in the PM but it did run and i took it home,  because I had a feeling it would run 

The problem with the Queens express bus lines is some of the cancellations are legit. The rest are bugs and then you have trips that are cancelled but re-instated at the last minute by dispatch, but they don't relay always that info to Customer Service to update on their end.  This initially was a problem only on the X27 & X28 lines and apparently it was due to a bug in the API interface.  It was fixed but has resurfaced again on those lines over the last several weeks here and there. Sometimes Customer Service can clear the issue on their end.  Other times the issue is more complex and has to be worked on by the tech team.

I think the real issue is BusTime is well over ten years old and is starting to show its age. I believe they refreshed the interface a bit some months ago, but that's about it.  They were trying out something where cancellations were automatically posted (in other words not by Customer Service by hand as it is now), but that has not worked out.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Has there ever been some sort of proposal to have an express route on Boston Road? Perhaps a branch of the BxM11?

The proposed BxM11 via Bronxdale would've covered a stint of Boston Road. East of that (say past Laconia), you start heading into BxM10 territory.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

You mean the BxM5?

No. The BxM5 was a proposed rush-hour only route to cover Woodlawn and a small part of the BxM11 (as well as a new segment of service near the City border), which didn't make sense as it was. BxM11 riders were very clear that they did not want to go to Bronxdale Av for the BxM11. They preferred the bus as it is on White Plains Rd. In any event, the current BxM11 serves the same segment of Boston Rd that the proposed BxM11 does and only because of the street layout in that area (subway pillars, etc.). At that point, Boston Rd is basically like a North-South corridor, and not an East-West corridor, which is what you're getting at. Express buses function mainly North-South (yes I know some run East-West for segments), but some of that is due to a lack of subway. The distance on Boston Road is such that people can make their way to the BxM10 or BxM11. In other words, I don't see how a dedicated express bus along Boston Road competing with two other express bus lines would make sense.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• 2 weeks later...

I heard today that the MJ Quill roof deck reconstruction is going to cause some schedule changes at CP depot staring with the April pick.  Looks like they won't be able to stage buses in Manhattan anymore so all buses will have long deadheads from CP depot into the city for the PM rush.  Do you have any more information on this and how jacked up the schedules might be come April?

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

I heard today that the MJ Quill roof deck reconstruction is going to cause some schedule changes at CP depot staring with the April pick.  Looks like they won't be able to stage buses in Manhattan anymore so all buses will have long deadheads from CP depot into the city for the PM rush.  Do you have any more information on this and how jacked up the schedules might be come April?

I haven't heard about any changes to schedules, but it's possible that more express buses will have to deadhead from Queens. I do wonder if they can store any more express buses at the depot up in Harlem, which is what some Queens express buses do now and then they come down to Midtown and start like that.

11 hours ago, 7-express said:

What I can say is a number of CP lines already deadhead back and forth from Queens, so if they do it right, it shouldn't impact service too much. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Icebreaker768 said:

Follow up above ^ What are the steps I can take to push the MTA to use the LIE on the return trip, unless there is a reason they are not allowed to use the LIE?

22 minutes ago, Icebreaker768 said:

Hello,

Anybody knows why the QM buses use Queens BLVD on the return trip? I use the QM5 at Douglaston, and take the late night bus. However this trip takes way longer then it needs to due to Queens BLVD being used when the LIE is fast as hell. Thanks.

Queens Blvd is the regular route back to Queens, that's why. 

1 hour ago, Icebreaker768 said:

Is there a reason Queens BLVD is the normal route, cause in the morning they use the LIE and its fast. Thanks!

Yeah, I just said. It's the normal route and has been for years.  That's like asking why the buses take the Queensborough bridge going to Queens and the Midtown Tunnel going to Manhattan. lol

2 hours ago, Icebreaker768 said:

Anybody knows why the QM buses use Queens BLVD on the return trip? I use the QM5 at Douglaston, and take the late night bus. However this trip takes way longer then it needs to due to Queens BLVD being used when the LIE is fast as hell. Thanks.

The Queens Bus Network Redesign seems to have all (QM5)(QM8)(QM35) trips using the LIE west of 188th.