CBTC - General Discussion

Jcb

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

I see. Part of me assumed that ATO was in full swing for much longer since every time we have to call on flagging, RCC has to inhibit ATO before we can even step foot onto the right of way to set up lights, work (if its Point to Point), etc..

Oh yeah and those times when some folks tried to do and and one of us saw em..

Hell to pay....

36 minutes ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Folks as in people from different MoW Departments or Tresspassers?

look through the safety advisory backlog, lots of improper flagging on CBTC-ATO territory. setting up without calling it in. setting up on the wrong track. setting up the wrong configuration. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Folks as in people from different MoW Departments or Tresspassers?

MOW signal maintainers biggest culprits....

One gang by Roosevelt last year had lanterns out on the roadbed working no work zone set up it was banged in by a (E) train...

The Guy had the gall to get on the radio and tell OCC "oh i sent the helper call you guys to set it up"

Needless to say they was ordered off the tracks and told to call the desk...

Edited by RTOMan

Couple of weeks back I was on the Lima, heading Canarsie bound on my last trip, my TO canceled ATO, sounded the horn and slowed down as I swear we passed some flashing lights… but no work zone on the screen.*

called it in to control myself.

(* the conductor CBTC screen doesn’t give us the same details as the TO, but we still get to know what mode our train is in, and what the status of the CBTC in our area is… and suddenly going from ATO to manual is actually a serious red flag)

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

MOW signal maintainers biggest culprits....

One gang by Roosevelt last year had lanterns out on the roadbed working no work zone set up it was banged in by a (E) train...

The Guy had the gall to get on the radio and tell OCC "oh i sent the helper call you guys to set it up"

Needless to say they was ordered off the tracks and told to call the desk...

Can’t speak for everyone in Signals (or MoW for that matter) but I can tell you that calling on Flagging in a CBTC Zone for us to set up our work zone (especially at night and if its full flagging) is usually a pain. I’ve had nights where sometimes I don’t get the first or 2nd call for Flagging until 3 in the Morning. I kinda get why some people jump straight to work but I do agree that it’s Safer to wait until the work zone has been fully set up first. 

On 3/3/2024 at 11:55 PM, LGA Link N Train said:

I see. Part of me assumed that ATO was in full swing for much longer since every time we have to call on flagging, RCC has to inhibit ATO before we can even step foot onto the right of way to set up lights, work (if its Point to Point), etc..

It's because even with ATO inhibited, trains are allowed to travel faster under ATPM. For instance, the QBL express tracks used to be governed by 30 MPH grade time signals, but trains can go higher than that now.

20 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Couple of weeks back I was on the Lima, heading Canarsie bound on my last trip, my TO canceled ATO, sounded the horn and slowed down as I swear we passed some flashing lights… but no work zone on the screen.*

called it in to control myself.

(* the conductor CBTC screen doesn’t give us the same details as the TO, but we still get to know what mode our train is in, and what the status of the CBTC in our area is… and suddenly going from ATO to manual is actually a serious red flag)

Oh yeah and they SEE it right away too they want to know Why....

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight saw 9943-38 coupled to another 5 car unit (didn't catch the last five numbers) in service on the (F) its been a long while..

Those 5 cars been on the (G) for quite some time..

I believe its a different Operating system as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 12:25 AM, RTOMan said:

Tonight saw 9943-38 coupled to another 5 car unit (didn't catch the last five numbers) in service on the (F) its been a long while..

Those 5 cars been on the (G) for quite some time..

I believe its a different Operating system as well.

All Thales units are compatible with Alstom units.

4 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Was ATO turned back on along QBL? Brooklyn bound (R) train I took tonight had noticeably quicker acceleration and higher braking rate, along with no rolling brake test leaving Forest Hills

Train Operators are required to perform brake tests whether or not ATO is enabled.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jericho said:

All Thales units are compatible with Alstom units.

Of coruse i did not say they wasn't compatible..

Train Operated different though not as smooth...

Edited by RTOMan

On 3/24/2024 at 7:13 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Was ATO turned back on along QBL? Brooklyn bound (R) train I took tonight had noticeably quicker acceleration and higher braking rate, along with no rolling brake test leaving Forest Hills

Was it 8653-8657?