CBTC - General Discussion

Jcb

Hello I’m new here. But allow me to describe  the future of CBTC for IRT. 

I have great fate in the CBTC system. But the Lexington Avenue line I feel will be tricker. So here’s how I recommend they do it 

Phase 1 

First Have the (6) run express between 125th Street-Grand Central 42nd Street for a few weekends  

Next Have the (4)(5) run local between 125th Street-Grand Central 42nd Street for another few weekends  

(note these would be done in a separate order)

Phase 2 

Next Have the (4)(5)run local between Grand Central 42nd Street and Brooklyn Bridge City Hall for a few weekends 

Have the (6) run express between Grand Central 42nd Street and Brooklyn Bridge City Hall for another few weekends (again this would be on separate weekends)

Phase 3

Have the (4) run fully local and only run it up to Brooklyn Bridge City Hall. Have the (5) run express and only up to Grand Central 42nd Street. Brooklyn service replaced by (2)(3)  

I believe you can get the CBTC work done. 

This will have to wait for the R262s to be delivered since the (2)(6) switching equipment is a huge no no. The R262s will definitely go to the (6) but They might also go to the (1)(3) since they have R62s

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, Railfanner Mario said:

South Past 59 St Yes. In regarding to the Rockaways idk (it can be if the MTA were to do that if they want to)

95 Street Brooklyn 4th Avenue has full cbtc radios without any explanation but none of the rest of the line has them. The transponders were installed around the system not for CBTC but for automated announcements on NTT. I saw at some point all of the track mounted transponders get replaced with ones with a different plastic housing on Queens Boulevard line so probably they were not compatible😉

There is also a question if transponders without ceiling-mounted cbtc radios is the empty a secret attempt to do Toronto speed control system. No more grade timers on Legacy lines. Station time and all anti Collision signals still exist. 

• 3 weeks later...

As of 0001 hrs Tuesday August the 31st..

CBTC in Full Effect from Kew Gardens to Queens Plaza or 21st all four tracks..

ONLY thing that is different is Mikey and Romeo trains are in BYPASS going into and leaving the Relays at CTL..

Operated yesterday had no issues..

The Zone Controller with the Relays is the Issue i think...

They need a bigger one or another one for those relays hence the GO this weekend with everything going local in Queens..

14 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Wonder how the QBL cbtc equipment held up during the flood yesterday. Guessing not too good considering QBL is one of the last lines with no service.... 

I feel for everyone working to clean up the mess and keep the trains moving

There was no service yesterday between CTL and Queens Plaza 21st street..

Since they just restored service im guessing everyone will be in BYPASS...

Yes we all took it in the Chin weds and thurs rough days indeed

Edited by RTOMan

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Board docs today give an update on QBL west, 8th Ave, Culver CBTC. QBL East CBTC award is in there too. 

I was wondering if they were going to do QBL east of Kew Gardens. I knew I had seen it in the past on these forums but hadn’t heard anything in a long time from the MTA about it

• 3 weeks later...

CBTC is now in effect on D2 track from Queens Plaza to Roosevelt signals have been taken out..

That leaves D1 and D2 track from CTL to Roosevelt as the Next In Line..

My guess is they'll (for now) leave the Signals in place but have CBTC in Effect, like its on D3 and D4 track form CTL to Roosevelt.

9 hours ago, RTOMan said:

CBTC is now in effect on D2 track from Queens Plaza to Roosevelt signals have been taken out..

That leaves D1 and D2 track from CTL to Roosevelt as the Next In Line..

My guess is they'll (for now) leave the Signals in place but have CBTC in Effect, like its on D3 and D4 track form CTL to Roosevelt.

Yup, I saw them removing them at 65th st when I rode pass that station.

12 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

QBL had a CBTC meltdown tonight, the growing pains continue

A friend of mine was commuting from Manhattan to Astoria (to Steinway St on the (R) and her train got caught up in that snafu. Took 35 minutes to cross the tunnel between Manhattan and Queens Plaza, and an extra 25 minutes from Queens Plaza to Steinway St. Complete disaster, but I guess its one of those CBTC glitches that just has to be worked out. Typically these widespread outages are seen just as CBTC tie-ins are finishing up because you have to add in a new CBTC territory to the existing one (for example the local track from Queens Plaza to Roosevelt Av changing over to CBTC and adding it to the rest of the CBTC territory from Roosevelt to 71 Av). The same issues happened on the (7) line when the Queensboro Plaza-34 St Hudson Yards section was tied in to the rest of the (7) line for CBTC).

4 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

A friend of mine was commuting from Manhattan to Astoria (to Steinway St on the (R))and her train got caught up in that snafu. Took 35 minutes to cross the tunnel between Manhattan and Queens Plaza, and an extra 25 minutes from Queens Plaza to Steinway St. Complete disaster, but I guess its one of those CBTC glitches that just has to be worked out. Typically these widespread outages are seen just as CBTC tie-ins are finishing up because you have to add in a new CBTC territory to the existing one (for example the local track from Queens Plaza to Roosevelt Av changing over to CBTC and adding it to the rest of the CBTC territory from Roosevelt to 71 Av). The same issues happened on the (7) line when the Queensboro Plaza-34 St Hudson Yards section was tied in to the rest of the (7) line for CBTC).

Correct... Yet when this is working well its working well...

Is the Jamaica bound express track in full CBTC mode between Roosevelt and Forest Hills? I took a ride on that section earlier this week (not when there were problems), the automatic signals were showing normal aspects and the flashing green was only on the approach to and within Roosevelt and Forest Hills station limits. 

Not like 36th to Roosevelt where almost all the automatics are either removed or dark

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

8 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Is the Jamaica bound express track in full CBTC mode between Roosevelt and Forest Hills? I took a ride on that section earlier this week (not when there were problems), the automatic signals were showing normal aspects and the flashing green was only on the approach to and within Roosevelt and Forest Hills station limits. 

Not like 36th to Roosevelt where almost all the automatics are either removed or dark

Right Now D3 and D4 track Between CTL and Roosevelt the Signals are still there but ATPM Mode is in effect..

No flashing signals yet.. 

They are running a software upgrade GO next week which takes out D3 and D4 track from Roosevelt to CTL after 0000 hrs, so I'm guessing soon they will take them out.

Someone on youtube posted a video of an (F) operating in APTM between 21st and Forest Hills. It shows a blurry view of the CBTC screen through the RFW, along with a front view. The OP noted the bar on the left is moving block distance to the next train and the circle in the middle turns yellow to indicate overspeed, otherwise it looks like a speedometer of some sort. While not much can be seen , it gives a very basic idea of ATPM. Interesting. 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:11 AM, Railfanner Mario said:

With the ongoing CBTC being At its finishing stages on Queens Blvd does anyone (not that I may expect but just wondering at the moment) know when ATO will be Active on it?

Coming from someone who works on that Fox five days a week....

Your Guess is as good as mines....