Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Ron2themax

Shortage in Bus Drivers across America

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

a similar problem exists in the trades too (plumbers, electrician)..there is something about the millennials that do not want to work in these fields

Edited by azspeedbullet
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

a similar problem exists in the trades too (plumbers, electrician)..there is something about the millennials that do not want to work in these fields

We created a culture where nobody wants to do that anymore. Tell kids for the first twenty years of their life that trades are dumb and they won't go into trades.

=================================================================================================================================================

Part of the issue is that unemployment is at record lows, and driving a bus has more onerous requirements than other blue-collar work (customer service aspects, different licensing, etc.)

In Seattle, where I am now, a major issue is that drivers here have a probationary training period where they get paid less. That same person could go to any construction site and get a high-paying blue-collar job on the spot. Why would anyone voluntarily take the worse job?

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, azspeedbullet said:

a similar problem exists in the trades too (plumbers, electrician)..there is something about the millennials that do not want to work in these fields

Manual labor is not respected by the younger generations, because there's little to no value placed on them anymore by their parent generations..... The more time progresses, the worse this is getting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have to deal with the public, drivers cutting them off, pedestrians running in front of them, if any minor incident happens they get blamed and drug tested. 

if anyone tries to assault them they have to smile and go about their business, because if they retaliate in self-defense they get fired. Not enticing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

They have to deal with the public, drivers cutting them off, pedestrians running in front of them, if any minor incident happens they get blamed and drug tested. 

if anyone tries to assault them they have to smile and go about their business, because if they retaliate in self-defense they get fired. Not enticing.

And that's why they always look depressed. They deal with so much crap but they have to bottle up their emotions until they break or retire.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Elmhurst said:

And that's why they always look depressed. They deal with so much crap but they have to bottle up their emotions until they break or retire.

Indeed, I remember a new B/O on the N4 years ago, was smiling and greeting passengers,etc , it didn't take long for the miserable passengers to drain that energy away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.