My Proposed Brooklyn Bus Network Redesign

BrooklynBus

17 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The M101 frankly has no business running on Lex at all...

I'd rather have the M98 run full time and take that role.

When the M101/2 was cutback to Cooper Union to form the M103 back in '95, [the M100] & [the M102 or M103] should have been given LTD service, instead of keeping them both running local only... They kept d*cking around with M100 service for the worse during enough of the 1990's to prop up the almighty M101....

3 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Imagine if it's actually kept intact after the Manhattan redesign. I can already see it:

"We are not proposing any routing changes for the M101, considering the route is relatively direct, has high ridership, and connects to several important destinations and transfer points"

Y'know, that's what's so great about free speech - You can justify any ole BS with BS & redefine definitions to your heart's content.....

Still SMH at that malarkey that was said about the Bx19 btw in that Bronx bus network redesign bit, on some "We are not proposing any routing changes for the Bx19, considering the route is straight, direct, has high ridership, and connects to several important destinations and transfer points."....

Riiiiight, but the Bx15 is also one of these routes that's an unofficial crosstown in Manhattan & goes on to serve the Bronx in a northerly-southerly fashion.... I guess the route wasn't "straight", "direct", had enough ridership, and didn't connect to several important destinations & transfer points enough to suggest keeping the route intact.....

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.... They'll keep the M101 as is & keep throwing even more short turns on the thing...

8 hours ago, Deucey said:

If it improves OTP and connections to the subway or railroads, sure.

Long routes are great for budgeting and planning efficiency for the bean counters, but don’t necessarily mean they’re great for passengers.

It’s like taking the old M5 from Harlem to Chambers Street. Kept me off the (1), but the 20 minutes stuck between 57th St and 42nd when it already took 30 minutes to get there from 148th St means that it’s a wasted trip. 

(But I’m also of the mind that non-SBS Manhattan north-South bus routes without bus lanes are a waste of resources if they’re going from above 96th St to below 14th St because they waste time and fuel.)

In general, my reroute would be shorter lengths with direct termini at subway and LIRR stations on one end and major points of interest at the other. And I’d implement the bus-bus and bus-train-bus transfer scheme to minimize inconvenience as time savings increase.

Improving on time performance is good, but can also be accomplished in other ways as I outlined in my report. I just don’t like splitting routes usually especially without an overlap because you greatly increase the need for transferring and turn two bus trips into three bus trips which is a great deference to ridership. 

12 minutes ago, FamousNYLover said:

BrooklynBus, do you mean like this on Belt Parkway?

Yes. This is not a new idea. Cities have been doing this successfully for over ten years, perhaps close to 20. And the shoulders could even carry a diamond logo as is done in those cities with bus lanes on shoulders. When I proposed this, I wasn’t even aware of cities doing this. Incidentally, on Flatbush Avenue south of they Belt Pkway, where the right lane is striped off, I saw Q35s unofficially using it to pass traffic which was gridlocked due to beach traffic several weeks ago. It made perfect sense for them to do that although they were not following procedure. 

5 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes. This is not a new idea. Cities have been doing this successfully for over ten years, perhaps close to 20. And the shoulders could even carry a diamond logo as is done in those cities with bus lanes on shoulders. When I proposed this, I wasn’t even aware of cities doing this. Incidentally, on Flatbush Avenue south of they Belt Pkway, where the right lane is striped off, I saw Q35s unofficially using it to pass traffic which was gridlocked due to beach traffic several weeks ago. It made perfect sense for them to do that although they were not following procedure. 

This is going to be done on a portion of the FDR Drive as part of the Better Bus Plan.

15 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

When the M101/2 was cutback to Cooper Union to form the M103 back in '95, [the M100] & [the M102 or M103] should have been given LTD service, instead of keeping them both running local only... They kept d*cking around with M100 service for the worse during enough of the 1990's to prop up the almighty M101....

Y'know, that's what's so great about free speech - You can justify any ole BS with BS & redefine definitions to your heart's content.....

Still SMH at that malarkey that was said about the Bx19 btw in that Bronx bus network redesign bit, on some "We are not proposing any routing changes for the Bx19, considering the route is straight, direct, has high ridership, and connects to several important destinations and transfer points."....

Riiiiight, but the Bx15 is also one of these routes that's an unofficial crosstown in Manhattan & goes on to serve the Bronx in a northerly-southerly fashion.... I guess the route wasn't "straight", "direct", had enough ridership, and didn't connect to several important destinations & transfer points enough to suggest keeping the route intact.....

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.... They'll keep the M101 as is & keep throwing even more short turns on the thing...

I will say this, the only place on the Bx19 I can see them splitting it is at The Hub, and there is a lot of thru-riding going on over there (offhand, any of my old CCNY classmates I can think of that used the Bx19 traveled past The Hub, except for one who lived by the Grand Concourse)

The one thing I'm really surprised they did nothing about is the Bx10...

10 hours ago, limitednyc said:

i believe when they redesign  the Manhattan network i think the m101 will be split in two . 196 rd street to 125th and 2nd and 129th and amsterdam to 6th street and lex.

Too much overlap along 125th. If anything I see a clean split at 125th & Lexington coming.

10 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Improving on time performance is good, but can also be accomplished in other ways as I outlined in my report. I just don’t like splitting routes usually especially without an overlap because you greatly increase the need for transferring and turn two bus trips into three bus trips which is a great deference to ridership. 

Depends on how much turnover is at the break point. If it's something like the S74 at the ETC then that can easily be justified.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

This is going to be done on a portion of the FDR Drive as part of the Better Bus Plan.

It was already implemented earlier this summer...now what I'm waiting for is those bus lanes on 42nd Street...

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I will say this, the only place on the Bx19 I can see them splitting it is at The Hub, and there is a lot of thru-riding going on over there (offhand, any of my old CCNY classmates I can think of that used the Bx19 traveled past The Hub, except for one who lived by the Grand Concourse)

The one thing I'm really surprised they did nothing about is the Bx10...

Too much overlap along 125th. If anything I see a clean split at 125th & Lexington coming.

Depends on how much turnover is at the break point. If it's something like the S74 at the ETC then that can easily be justified.

It was already implemented earlier this summer...now what I'm waiting for is those bus lanes on 42nd Street...

maybe but there is enouph riding along 125 street  going past  lex . also remember the m 100 is being cutback see bronx redesign.  also 103 already terminates at 125 and lex.

Queens-Midtown Expressway-LIE should have it for all MTA Express, Hampton Jitney, NYC Airporters, etc.

Gowanus Expressway needs BOS for Brooklyn and StatenIsland Express Buses.

Major Deegan Expressway needs BOS between Yankees Stadium and Cross Bronx Expressway.

Edited by FamousNYLover

5 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

Queens-Midtown Expressway-LIE should have it for all MTA Express, Hampton Jitney, NYC Airporters, etc.

Major Deegan Expressway needs BOS between Yankees Stadium and Cross Bronx Expressway.

Gowanus has HOV lane which needs to be in effect for more hours.

21 hours ago, limitednyc said:

maybe but there is enouph riding along 125 street  going past  lex . also remember the m 100 is being cutback see bronx redesign.  also 103 already terminates at 125 and lex.

So they can transfer...not the end of the world. As for the M103, they can just add more short-turns running to 8th Street, or maybe run more M98 service (full-time) to replace the M101 on 3rd/Lex

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So they can transfer...not the end of the world. As for the M103, they can just add more short-turns running to 8th Street, or maybe run more M98 service (full-time) to replace the M101 on 3rd/Lex

the m 98 would have to add a lot of service and be extended  to at least 42nd street.

u mean the ltd hours of operation.  7 day a week.

Just now, limitednyc said:

the m 98 would have to add a lot of service and be extended  to at least 42nd street.

u mean the ltd hours of operation.  7 day a week.

Read what I said...to replace the M101 along 3rd/Lexington...that implies I have it running down to 8th Street...

And it should have a longer span than the limited. It shouldn't start running at 11am on a Sunday. It doesn't have to run 24/7 but it should at least run 6am-10pm every day.

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Read what I said...to replace the M101 along 3rd/Lexington...that implies I have it running down to 8th Street...

And it should have a longer span than the limited. It shouldn't start running at 11am on a Sunday. It doesn't have to run 24/7 but it should at least run 6am-10pm every day.

sorry  i agrees with the span,  what i am saying u need thru service from points along 125th and points below 125th street.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

I will say this, the only place on the Bx19 I can see them splitting it is at The Hub, and there is a lot of thru-riding going on over there (offhand, any of my old CCNY classmates I can think of that used the Bx19 traveled past The Hub, except for one who lived by the Grand Concourse)....

Westchester av. is another possibility (higher turnover), but something would have to give with the resultant northern split/portion & the Bx9.....

On 8/13/2019 at 10:58 PM, FamousNYLover said:

Doesn't LIE already have unidrection HOV to the tunnel?

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 10:39 AM, BrooklynBus said:

As promised, I am releasing my bus network redesign for Brooklyn after many months of work and revisions. It does not include the express bus network. It consists of about 20 pages of text and about 75 pages of maps. And, yes, I am aware there already is a thread for Brooklyn proposals, but I think this deserves its own.

It also discusses the MTA's planning efforts in the other boroughs criticizing the approaches being taken. It also contains much system history. I would be pleased to hear comments, and of course it is subject to revision.

This is Version 3.0.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmiYAcY6ebQngTlAmfX--m_QpWMr"> 

nice ecosaver