Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

A video interviewing the passengers on the B82 route. 

Also its planned that the B82 sbs route will launch in July. 

All the video shows is how unhappy everyone is with current service. The bus lanes on the narrow portion of Kings Hway will help as may the rerouting onto Avenue K and around Glenwood Road but you don't need SBS to make those changes. As far as long waits for the bus, articulated buses will mean fewer buses and longer waits especially for the local. The route needs to be split. Should never have been combined in the first place which made the problems we have today much worse. Route doesn't need SBS. But the MTA will do what they want to do anyway. And again they only tell half the story. Audio states average bus speed is under 5 mph. But as map shows that is only true for three small sections. Other data shows speeds on wide portion of Kngs Highway where bus lanes are proposed are already over 20 mph in a 25 mph zone for 21 out of 24 hours a day. So 24/7 bus lanes will not help bus passengers but will greatly delay cars. Another waste of money by the MTA. 

On 9/25/2017 at 10:50 AM, Lawrence St said:

Can we get an SBS on the Bx9? Thing is to dam delayed during rush hour along Broadway and most of it's route.

No. Not on this route you won't

4 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

All the video shows is how unhappy everyone is with current service. The bus lanes on the narrow portion of Kings Hway will help as may the rerouting onto Avenue K and around Glenwood Road but you don't need SBS to make those changes. As far as long waits for the bus, articulated buses will mean fewer buses and longer waits especially for the local. The route needs to be split. Should never have been combined in the first place which made the problems we have today much worse. Route doesn't need SBS. But the MTA will do what they want to do anyway. And again they only tell half the story. Audio states average bus speed is under 5 mph. But as map shows that is only true for three small sections. Other data shows speeds on wide portion of Kngs Highway where bus lanes are proposed are already over 20 mph in a 25 mph zone for 21 out of 24 hours a day. So 24/7 bus lanes will not help bus passengers but will greatly delay cars. Another waste of money by the MTA. 

For that, the B82 local should've become the B5, while the B82 SBS becomes the B50 SBS. But you see that these are some angry passengers. I know some of you who love UP might have a say on this, but this isn't Burger King. You can't have it your way

44 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

For that, the B82 local should've become the B5, while the B82 SBS becomes the B50 SBS. But you see that these are some angry passengers. I know some of you who love UP might have a say on this, but this isn't Burger King. You can't have it your way

From the video there are issues with the buses not being frequent after rush hour and for passengers that can be frustrating. Espeically for those who want to get home faster. That's why they are extending the sbs throughout the day instead of rush hour times like the current limited. Imo they should have done this a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Bus lanes need to be enforced a lot in that area. I work in it and motorists around there are some of the biggest idiots known to man. They park in bus stops, areas that say no standing at anytime and so on. I guess with sbs its a program that could get them funding. They have bus lanes downtown brooklyn but last time I was there it was washed up and not redone while cars parked in it.

Looking into the history of the route they combined the B5 and B50 due to budget cuts and was at the time beneficial because it would eliminate two fare zones. But splitting up the route isn't going to solve but make a new set of problems. You have people who rely on that bus to go cross town such as myself and others who use the route to get to other trains such as the N and the D. To which I believe the B5 served those train stations while the B50 terminated on ocean avenue. So I think splitting the route would be a step in the wrong direction because people who live in the flatlands/old mill basin area would have to take two buses to get to a train. that wouldn't be smart. 

P.S. the bus lanes in the narrow part of kings hwy would be from 7-10 am and 4-7 pm. Then I believe heavy truck deliveries would be around from 10am to 2pm. 

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

You love talking about how routes don't need SBS and how drivers and being "punished", but you NEVER talk about how your fellow drivers are IDIOTS. They CONSTANTLY block bus stops, drive recklessly and so on, but nevermind any of that. <_< Stop painting drivers as these do gooders. A lot of them are reckless and don't give a damn about pedestrians or anyone else.

Just the other night, I had a guy in a Mercedes parked right in the BxM2 bus stop and he knew exactly what he was doing. Was it really necessary for him to park there? No, but he insisted upon it anyway, so I had to walk into the street to g to the bus.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

I bet you will see the same type of anger for any route you survey. They just picked this route to imply SBS will make things better. Some of the facets will, but those changes don't need SBS. 

3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

From the video there are issues with the buses not being frequent after rush hour and for passengers that can be frustrating. Espeically for those who want to get home faster. That's why they are extending the sbs throughout the day instead of rush hour times like the current limited. Imo they should have done this a long time ago. 

Looking into the history of the route they combined the B5 and B50 due to budget cuts and was at the time beneficial because it would eliminate two fare zones. But splitting up the route isn't going to solve but make a new set of problems. You have people who rely on that bus to go cross town such as myself and others who use the route to get to other trains such as the N and the D. To which I believe the B5 served those train stations while the B50 terminated on ocean avenue. So I think splitting the route would be a step in the wrong direction because people who live in the flatlands/old mill basin area would have to take two buses to get to a train. that wouldn't be smart. 

The need for additional service during the day is no reason for SBS. They should just increase midday service if that is what is needed. 

A B82 bus driver listed that in all his years driving the route he never saw anyone Board on Bay Parkway and get off after Rockaway Parkway. He also said there were only a handful of Bay Parkway riders who traveled past Ralph Avenue. 

Now if I proposed a direct route to serve a handful of riders all day long, you would say I am crazy and those people could transfer. If if that is the condition today you use that as justification why the route should not be split. 

Also, you don't combine two routes to eliminate two fare zones. You just solve the problem correctly. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You love talking about how routes don't need SBS and how drivers and being "punished", but you NEVER talk about how your fellow drivers are IDIOTS. They CONSTANTLY block bus stops, drive recklessly and so on, but nevermind any of that. <_< Stop painting drivers as these do gooders. A lot of them are reckless and don't give a damn about pedestrians or anyone else.

Just the other night, I had a guy in a Mercedes parked right in the BxM2 bus stop and he knew exactly what he was doing. Was it really necessary for him to park there? No, but he insisted upon it anyway, so I had to walk into the street to g to the bus.

I'm not apologizing for idiot auto drivers. 

57 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I nearly got killed by a M101 last week because a taxi cut the driver off and parked in the bus stop to pick up a passenger, and the bus driver had to swerve out of the way and nearly killed me in the process.

Glad you are okay. 

31 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

The need for additional service during the day is no reason for SBS. They should just increase midday service if that is what is needed. 

A B82 bus driver listed that in all his years driving the route he never saw anyone Board on Bay Parkway and get off after Rockaway Parkway. He also said there were only a handful of Bay Parkway riders who traveled past Ralph Avenue. 

Now if I proposed a direct route to serve a handful of riders all day long, you would say I am crazy and those people could transfer. If if that is the condition today you use that as justification why the route should not be split. 

From my own experience I see a lot of people who ride the bus from bay parkway to nostrand and those who ride from Mcdonald to Nostrand and Flatbush. I'm telling you splitting the route isn't a great idea. On top of that why split the route when the B7 already serves the purpose on terminating there in the area? I don't think it would be fair to have people spend $5.50 to transfer to the N, F, and D trains by taking 2 buses. 

7 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

From my own experience I see a lot of people who ride the bus from bay parkway to nostrand and those who ride from Mcdonald to Nostrand and Flatbush. I'm telling you splitting the route isn't a great idea. On top of that why split the route when the B7 already serves the purpose on terminating there in the area? I don't think it would be fair to have people spend $5.50 to transfer to the N, F, and D trains by taking 2 buses. 

The route doesn't have to be split the way it was split before. There are other ways to do it. The point is you don't need buses all the way from Coney Island to Starrett City.  You could even have three overlapping routes. You put the service where the ridership is. 

There are other solutions besides SBS, but the MTA is trying to sell it as the cure all to all bus problems.

Edited by BrooklynBus

Just now, BrooklynBus said:

The route doesn't have to be split the way it was split before. There are other ways to do it. The point is you don't need buses all the way from Coney Island to Starrett City.  You could even have three overlapping routes. You put the service where the ridership is. 

That's why the SBS route will be cut from Coney Island to Crospey in Bensonhourst. I don't believe ridership is high down there. Not when I used to work around there and took the 82. It got pretty empty after it hit the D train. 

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Of course you won't. Drivers are totally innocent in all of this. <_<

What do you expect me to say ? Any response I give would be wrong. By saying I am not apologizing for them, I am saying they are wrong. If I do say I am apologizing for them, that would mean that I am also an idiot auto driver or all auto drivers are idiots. So let me say it another way. Yes there are many idiot auto drivers but they represent a very small percentage of all drivers. If you are trying to imply that most who drive are idiots, you would be incorrect and I would take issue with that because if it were true, if you walk a mile you would see at least ten accidents when in actuality they are rare. I can go for weeks or months without seeing an accident or the remnants of one. If you take a long trip of several hours you can encounter more than one. 

21 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

That's why the SBS route will be cut from Coney Island to Crospey in Bensonhourst. I don't believe ridership is high down there. Not when I used to work around there and took the 82. It got pretty empty after it hit the D train. 

Never said the ridership was high down there or the SBS route needs to go to Coney Island. I just don't believe anyone who uses SBS should have to pay an additional fare. They can certainly fix that with some recoding. But my main problem is that you don't need SBS in the first place unless you are going to connect new neighborhoods which they are not doing. The southern Brooklyn SBS was supposed to start in Bay Ridge and no reason was given why this was not done. 

Edited by BrooklynBus

6 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

What do you expect me to say ? Any response I give would be wrong. By saying I am not apologizing for them, I am saying they are wrong. If I do say I am apologizing for them, that would mean that I am also an idiot auto driver or all auto drivers are idiots. So let me say it another way. Yes there are many idiot auto drivers but they represent a very small percentage of all drivers. If you are trying to imply that most who drive are idiots, you would be incorrect and I would take issue with that because if it were true, if you walk a mile you would see at least ten accidents when in actuality they are rare. I can go for weeks or months without seeing an accident or the remnants of one. If you take a long trip of several hours you can encounter more than one. 

So in other words, drivers are only idiots when they cause accidents... <_<

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So in other words, drivers are only idiots when they cause accidents... <_<

No. They can also be idiots by driving erratically, cutting people off, or do anything that is dangerous, etc. Anyway, it's still a small minority of drivers unless you regard someone doing 26 mph because of a ridiculously low default 25 mph speed limit a menace, yes then 95 percent of drivers are "idiots".  People will not obey laws they regard as ridiculous. Would you call every jaywalker an idiot also? I wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

No. They can also be idiots by driving erratically, cutting people off, or do anything that is dangerous, etc. Anyway, it's still a small minority of drivers unless you regard someone doing 26 mph because of a ridiculously low default 25 mph speed limit a menace, yes then 95 percent of drivers are "idiots".  People will not obey laws they regard as ridiculous. Would you call every jaywalker an idiot also? I wouldn't. 

My point is you complain about SBS, but you never acknowledge the things drivers do that disrupts bus service. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My point is you complain about SBS, but you never acknowledge the things drivers do that disrupts bus service. 

I see drivers cut off buses numerous times and only because the driver is very attentive, an accident is avoided. I also see everyday double parked trucks for hours while the entire truck is unloaded that delays both cars and buses and that is perfectly legal because the city refuses to create an adequate number of loading zones. 

55 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I see drivers cut off buses numerous times and only because the driver is very attentive, an accident is avoided. I also see everyday double parked trucks for hours while the entire truck is unloaded that delays both cars and buses and that is perfectly legal because the city refuses to create an adequate number of loading zones. 

And where are we supposed to have space for all of this? You are unrealistic. Loading zones. Have those trucks deliver at night. Plenty of trucks already do it.

12 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Just do me one favor. I need you to find me a statistic on your notion that 95% of drivers are idiots. I'll go one even higher that 98% are complete bozos. 

Last night in the snow storm I seen a 5 car wreck on the Belt Parkway service road near the airport. What makes it worse is that you have tailgaters who feel their car is better than the next person. I nearly got ran over twice on Linden Boulevard last night only because I was exercising good driving habits and it was snowing badly. 

Now, you have regular drivers who can't drive in the rain or snow. What makes you think these people could drive when the road is dry. 

DMV giving out licenses to bozos. Ha. 

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And where are we supposed to have space for all of this? You are unrealistic. Loading zones. Have those trucks deliver at night. Plenty of trucks already do it.

I have been advocatIng for nighttime deliveriewouldor 30 years for 30 years but the merchants are against it. They also do not want to lose metered spaces for delivery zones which are desparately needed on Brighton Beach Avenue. The spaces could be replaced by adding spaces under the el where it turns off Coney Island Avenue. Two  tiny stores would have to be demolished.

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just do me one favor. I need you to find lanes gatistic on your notion that 95% of d rivers are idiots. I'll go one even higher that 98% are complete bozos. 

Last night in the snow storm I seen a 5 car wreck on the Belt Parkway service road near the airport. What makes it worse is that you have tailgaters who feel their car is better than the next person. I nearly got ran over twice on Linden Boulevard last night only because I was exercising good driving habits and it was snowing badly. 

Now, you have regular drivers who can't drive in the rain or snow. What makes you think these people could drive when the road is dry. 

DMV giving out licenses to bozos. Ha. 

I have had the exact opposite experience as you. I find that in  bad weather, everyone is extra careful. It is the nice days i worry about when everyone seems to be in a hurry and you have crazy drivers changing lanes every two seconds.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:29 PM, BrooklynBus said:

Audio states average bus speed is under 5 mph. But as map shows that is only true for three small sections. Other data shows speeds on wide portion of Kngs Highway where bus lanes are proposed are already over 20 mph in a 25 mph zone for 21 out of 24 hours a day. So 24/7 bus lanes will not help bus passengers but will greatly delay cars. Another waste of money by the MTA. 

Three small sections? You're kidding, right? 

5IWCpeQ.png
You see that huge chunk of red from McDonald to Kings Hwy? That's the part where the B82 goes below 5 MPH. That's a "small section"? Plus everything in dark orange and yellow is where it goes below 15 MPH. Only the green part is above 15 MPH and only the very dark green is above 20 MPH. So ONLY ONE section is above 20 MPH.

McDonald Ave to E 16th St: less than 5 MPH (That's not a small section. That includes 2 separate subways (F and Q/B and a huge school. That's a major section.)

W7 to McDonald Ave: less than 10MPH 

Kings Hwy to Nostrand: less than 15 MPH

Only a few sections go above 20 MPH. And as I mentioned to you before, if part of the route keeps the B82 delayed in traffic - the rest of the route is affected. Splitting the route apart isn't going to help it as those sections where the bus goes below 5 MPH are stretched out throughout the entire route. (see image) 
Obviously, if the entire route would be going 15-20 MPH then a SBS would be unnecessary. But that's simply not the case. 

And again, who says that a bus lane would delay cars? If buses and cars wouldn't have to compete for space, the traffic flow could be smoothed out. I'd argue the bus lane would help many cars as well. 

And to simply say it's a waste to fix the B82 because you don't ride it isn't completely fair neither. The people on that video and over 25 thousand other B82 riders can benefit from the SBS. And it's the right thing to do. 

Thankfully it has already started as well. 

21 minutes ago, MidwoodMartin said:

5IWCpeQ.png
You see that huge chunk of red from McDonald to Kings Hwy? That's the part where the B82 goes below 5 MPH. That's a "small section"? Plus everything in dark orange and yellow is where it goes below 15 MPH. Only the green part is above 15 MPH and only the very dark green is above 20 MPH. So ONLY ONE section is above 20 MPH.

McDonald Ave to E 16th St: less than 5 MPH (That's not a small section. That includes 2 separate subways (F and Q/B and a huge school. That's a major section.)

Only a few sections go above 20 MPH. And as I mentioned to you before, if part of the route keeps the B82 delayed in traffic - the rest of the route is affected. Splitting the route apart isn't going to help it as those sections where the bus goes below 5 MPH are stretched out throughout the entire route. (see image) 
Obviously, if the entire route would be going 15-20 MPH then a SBS would be unnecessary. But that's simply not the case. 

And again, who says that a bus lane would delay cars? If buses and cars wouldn't have to compete for space, the traffic flow could be smoothed out. I'd argue the bus lane would help many cars as well. 

And to simply say it's a waste to fix the B82 because you don't ride it isn't completely fair neither. The people on that video and over 25 thousand other B82 riders can benefit from the SBS. And it's the right thing to do. 

As you probably know, he's anti-SBS. That's all you need to know...

29 minutes ago, MidwoodMartin said:

5IWCpeQ.png

Thank you for that comment. I get tired of hearing some people on here thinking that splitting routes are the only solution to a route that is slow. It’s not. Bus lanes help if enforced and so does off board payment. But yet some how everybody likes the old way. 

2 hours ago, MidwoodMartin said:

5IWCpeQ.png

I never said the B82 shouldn't be fixed. I said SBS isn't necessary to fix it. The data is also misleading. They don't tell you what tine periods are being used. If you average the speeds over 24 hours, there is no way you would get under 5mph anywhere. If you check all the presentations where they show a little bit of data in each by different times of the say, you will see that it varies greatly by time period. There are other areas in dark green on those maps. Most of Ocean Avenue to Flatbush is in dark green except for the few blocks around Nostrand for all but three hours a day. They need to present all they data in one place which is not what they are doing. They present selected data to give misleading impressions. 

But let's take the portion between McDonald and E 16 which is very slow. The recommendations to have curbside bus lanes if enforced, should help a great deal.  BUT THEY CAN DO THIS WITHOUT SBS. They can reroute the bus to Avenue K and do the Glenwood Road rerouting also without doing SBS but they will attribute those increases in speed to SBS. 

And reducing road capacity by one third has to slow down traffic and cause congestion, just like it did on Woodhaven Blvd. 

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I never said the B82 shouldn't be fixed. I said SBS isn't necessary to fix it. The data is also misleading. They don't tell you what tine periods are being used. If you average the speeds over 24 hours, there is no way you would get under 5mph anywhere. If you check all the presentations where they show a little bit of data in each by different times of the say, you will see that it varies greatly by time period. There are other areas in dark green on those maps. Most of Ocean Avenue to Flatbush is in dark green except for the few blocks around Nostrand for all but three hours a day. They need to present all they data in one place which is not what they are doing. They present selected data to give misleading impressions. 

But let's take the portion between McDonald and E 16 which is very slow. The recommendations to have curbside bus lanes if enforced, should help a great deal.  BUT THEY CAN DO THIS WITHOUT SBS. They can reroute the bus to Avenue K and do the Glenwood Road rerouting also without doing SBS but they will attribute those increases in speed to SBS. 

And reducing road capacity by one third has to slow down traffic and cause congestion, just like it did on Woodhaven Blvd. 

In other words, getting people to pay in advance isn't a good thing. You are a trip.

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Thank you for that comment. I get tired of hearing some people on here thinking that splitting routes are the only solution to a route that is slow. It’s not. Bus lanes help if enforced and so does off board payment. But yet some how everybody likes the old way. 

Splitting the route is only one measure. The curbside bus lanes they are proposing and reroutings on Avenue K and on Glenwood Road will also help. The bus lanes on the wide portion of Kings Highway are totally unnecessary. Off board fare payment should also help a little. (It barely helped on the 86 Street route.) SBS should connect new neighborhoods and not merely be a replacement of Limited routes.