Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

13 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Starting with the Bx6, SBS Stations began to be redesigned to include the cuomo look, and with the Q52/53 sporting the redesign as well, unless they overhaul the signs now and they begin to obtain the cuomo wrapping as well as the USBs over the next few months, the 4700's will not see SBS service regularly.

What "SBS stations" are you referring to? Bus shelters? 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

There isn’t going to be a bus lane on kings hwy between Ocean Avenue and Bay parkway. The things that are changing are a redesign of the parking space around E12th street and extending bus stops on ocean avenue, kings hwy station, Coney Island Avenue, mc Donald avenue, and west 7st. The bus lanes are going to be on kings hwy between avenue K and Ocean Avenue. 

Complete waste of time & money, the way I see it.... The answer to "fixing" the B82 isn't with SBS, but of course, this agency is "fix"ated with SBS....

15 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What "SBS stations" are you referring to? Bus shelters? 

They call SBS bus stops SBS stations (more fake BRT bulls***,), but I was trying to figure out what/where renovations along the Bx6 are being made, that he's even talking about....

...and what's with the sudden Cuomo-nizing on here lately; cuomo wrap, Cuomo look....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

They call SBS bus stops SBS stations (more fake BRT bulls***,), but I was trying to figure out what/where renovations along the Bx6 are being made, that he's even talking about....

...and what's with the sudden Cuomo-nizing on here lately; cuomo wrap, Cuomo look....

Ahhh... Interesting... Seems like they spend a lot of money for every stop too... They moved some of the M86 stops SEVERAL times... Across the street, then on the other side of the street, then up the street. The other thing I don't get is, some "stations" have bus shelters and countdown clocks that don't work. In other words, the countdown clocks apparently have no electricity and the bus shelters are dark, so it makes you wonder why so much money would be spent for something that doesn't even work? 

18 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Complete waste of time & money, the way I see it.... The answer to "fixing" the B82 isn't with SBS, but of course, this agency is "fix"ated with SBS....

So what’s the solution to the B82? Send more buses and cause more congestion? Just have people skip four or five cramp buses? What is your solution because everything that the mta has done isn’t working now. I ride that bus and it’s terrbile during rush hour. You’re saying it’s just a waste of money but money is already being lost at the current B82. Come around the Kings Hwy station on the B and Q line and about half of the crowd go through the back because the bus is so packed. Passengers literally walk a few stops down to catch the bus that isn’t so full. 

You say sbs is a waste but how? This isn’t a “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it” it’s a broke and fix it situation. 

25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Redesign, not renovations.

Anyways, this is what I am talking about, the old SBS machines:

selectbus3.jpg

vs the newer SBS machines:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVXI01jl6_G3whbKtldfH

As well as the bus stop signage:

q20a-q20b-q44-select-bus-service-jpg.941

MTA_Queens_Center_15_-_Q52_SBS_work.jpg

57 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Buffs just refer the new look and such to Cuomo(I don't) since he wanted this new look.

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

So what’s the solution to the B82? Send more buses and cause more congestion? Just have people skip four or five cramp buses? What is your solution because everything that the mta has done isn’t working now. I ride that bus and it’s terrbile during rush hour. You’re saying it’s just a waste of money but money is already being lost at the current B82. Come around the Kings Hwy station on the B and Q line and about half of the crowd go through the back because the bus is so packed. Passengers literally walk a few stops down to catch the bus that isn’t so full. 

You say sbs is a waste but how? This isn’t a “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it” it’s a broke and fix it situation. 

The "B50" has no business running all the way to Coney Island... I'm going to leave the "solution" at that....

The absolute last thing I'm on about the B82 is on an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" frame of mind.... I am no advocate of that route & haven't been so since it's inauguration.... IDC if they threw a LTD on it after the draconian cuts back in 2010, or are going about replacing LTD service in the future with SBS....

Your description of the situation that goes on around Kings Hwy. on the Brighton isn't anymore different than the era I used to frequent Kings Games (local hobby shop) - almost 20 freakin years ago... Fast forward a bit, when I used to take the x28 or x29 from Manhattan to go to Nathans & would take the B82 to the B46 to get home after the fact - nope, no difference in ridership patterns in that immediate area.... Earlier on this year when I rode the full route (towards Spring Creek), nope - no difference in the crowding around the Kings Hwy B/Q station either man.... So whatever point you're trying to make with that is moot, for starters, since you just got up here saying that:

"There isn’t going to be a bus lane on kings hwy between Ocean Avenue and Bay parkway.....

....The bus lanes are going to be on kings hwy between avenue K and Ocean Avenue."

Bus lanes on Kings Hwy. between Av. K & Ocean.... Superlative... "Brilliant".... Novel solution - so buses get to get to a chokepoint faster... Hell of an accomplishment.... That's what the MTA should be pouring money into desismileys_3254.gif.... But yet I get to read a post on here telling me that money's already being lost with the current B82, as if to say what? I mean really, the crowding isn't going to evaporate into thin air whenever SBS comes about....

You snarkily say "send more buses & cause more congestion", but other riders of the route (namely, those on the eastern end) have been raised the issue of inadequate service levels on the B82 ever since it was created in 1995.... So let me get this right, just re-branding the LTD's along the B82 with that current lingering issue at hand (which is really due to the fact that it runs b/w Coney Island & Spring Creek in the first place), is going to be some sort of a cure all.... "Send more buses & cause more congestion" - yes, because the MTA is known to scale back on buses when it comes to SBS....

Dude, wake up.....

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ahhh... Interesting... Seems like they spend a lot of money for every stop too... They moved some of the M86 stops SEVERAL times... Across the street, then on the other side of the street, then up the street. The other thing I don't get is, some "stations" have bus shelters and countdown clocks that don't work. In other words, the countdown clocks apparently have no electricity and the bus shelters are dark, so it makes you wonder why so much money would be spent for something that doesn't even work? 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This agency knows how to WASTE money... <_<

This agency loves crying broke, on top of it.....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 1/29/2018 at 10:23 AM, Brillant93 said:

I started saying everything is subjected to change lol. 

But on another note I rode the B44 sbs and the buses now have WiFi on it. So are all sbs units supposed to have WiFi now? 

All the buses actually have WiFi now. All Expresd buses are active, and all local buses have them. However the LAN's aren't activated on any buses other than the buses in new colors. So yes it will pop up on any bus, including most all RTS', but you most times won't be able to use it. I'm waiting on an update now in the status because they are supposed to be activating them.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:49 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

4700's will always be locals because of their slow Hanover signs and because they are not Cuomo wrapped. But that doesn't mean one can't appear on an SBS route occasionally (like the Bx12 does)

Will all the new buses coming in there's really no need for them to be anywhere other than on local service. But as a couple of the fellas already stated, it's nothing to wrap the bus in new colors and change the  signs out. 4810 had it's Amber sign swapped out for color, so that's not an issue.

21 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

That means nothing. If they can change the signs on the majority of the LFSAs that's currently on the SBS fleet, they can do the same with those XD60s.

Also, the long-standing rumor is that buses from 2011 and up are supposed to get the new look, so lets just wait and see. Also, they can just put a wrap similar to the one that's on the B46 SBS.

With all the changes anything is possible at this point. That was the original plans. Then it changed to 2011 and newer get WiFi and USB only, then it changed to 2011 and newer get WiFi only and just the new deliveries will get the works. 

Now that the XD40 scheme is complete it's quite easy to change and of the Flatbush buses into it as they need to be replaced. Same with the LFSA's now. Once that scheme was set it's easy to do base white then wrap like the first XD60's.

Flatbush could get SBS wraped new buses and unwrap the current one as an option as well.

39 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The "B50" has no business running all the way to Coney Island... I'm going to leave the "solution" at that....

The absolute last thing I'm on about the B82 is on an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" frame of mind.... I am no advocate of that route & haven't been so since it's inauguration.... IDC if they threw a LTD on it after the draconian cuts back in 2010, or are going about replacing LTD service in the future with SBS....

Your description of the situation that goes on around Kings Hwy. on the Brighton isn't anymore different than the era I used to frequent Kings Games (local hobby shop) - almost 20 freakin years ago... Fast forward a bit, when I used to take the x28 or x29 from Manhattan to go to Nathans & would take the B82 to the B46 to get home after the fact - nope, no difference in ridership patterns in that immediate area.... Earlier on this year when I rode the full route (towards Spring Creek), nope - no difference in the crowding around the Kings Hwy B/Q station either man.... So whatever point you're trying to make with that is moot, for starters, since you just got up here saying that:

"There isn’t going to be a bus lane on kings hwy between Ocean Avenue and Bay parkway.....

....The bus lanes are going to be on kings hwy between avenue K and Ocean Avenue."

Bus lanes on Kings Hwy. between Av. K & Ocean.... Superlative... "Brilliant".... Novel solution - so buses get to get to a chokepoint faster... Hell of an accomplishment.... That's what the MTA should be pouring money into desismileys_3254.gif.... But yet I get to read a post on here telling me that money's already being lost with the current B82, as if to say what? I mean really, the crowding isn't going to evaporate into thin air whenever SBS comes about....

You snarkily say "send more buses & cause more congestion", but other riders of the route (namely, those on the eastern end) have been raised the issue of inadequate service levels on the B82 ever since it was created in 1995.... So let me get this right, just re-branding the LTD's along the B82 with that current lingering issue at hand (which is really due to the fact that it runs b/w Coney Island & Spring Creek in the first place), is going to be some sort of a cure all.... "Send more buses & cause more congestion" - yes, because the MTA is known to scale back on buses when it comes to SBS....

Dude, wake up.....

This agency loves crying broke, on top of it.....

"The "B50" has no business running all the way to Coney Island... I'm going to leave the "solution" at that"

The B82 sbs won't run to coney island and thats not a solution its just a comment or your opinion. 

"I used to frequent Kings Games (local hobby shop) - almost 20 freakin years ago... Fast forward a bit, when I used to take the x28 or x29 from Manhattan to go to Nathans & would take the B82 to the B46 to get home after the fact - nope, no difference in ridership patterns in that immediate area.... Earlier on this year when I rode the full route (towards Spring Creek), nope - no difference in the crowding around the Kings Hwy B/Q station either man.... So whatever point you're trying to make with that is moot, for starters, since you just got up here saying that"

Guess what pal that was 20 years ago and this is now. I frequent this bus everyday in the afternoon and evenings and let me tell you its hell. The most problems with this bus is that its way to crowded. It doesn't matter if the buses come on time or if they send them in bunches its way to crowded during the weekdays and rush hours. So crowded the MTA is losing money by half of that crowd sneaking in the back without paying. No difference in crowding? More enough reason(s) to have artics on the route and have off board paying. 

"Bus lanes on Kings Hwy. between Av. K & Ocean.... Superlative... "Brilliant".... Novel solution - so buses get to get to a chokepoint faster... Hell of an accomplishment"

Yeah because if I could shed 5 to 10 minutes off my commute on roads that are capable of having a bus lane just to spend less time to get to a chokehold area I think thats a bargin, its not 100% perfect but it would work. Better than what they were doing right? 

"That's what the MTA should be pouring money into desismileys_3254.gif.... But yet I get to read a post on here telling me that money's already being lost with the current B82, as if to say what? I mean really, the crowding isn't going to evaporate into thin air whenever SBS comes about...."

Let me say this again. Buses comes in bunches, often those buses are crowded, people who wait for those buses either skip those buses until another one comes in 10 minutes or sneak in the back. Sometimes those people sneak in the back and guess what it costs the MTA money. Of course crowds aren't going to go away, that is why overcrowded bus routes need artics not send hordes of buses down the lane. SBS won't get rid of crowds but it could handle them. 

"You snarkily say "send more buses & cause more congestion", but other riders of the route (namely, those on the eastern end) have been raised the issue of inadequate service levels on the B82 ever since it was created in 1995.... So let me get this right, just re-branding the LTD's along the B82 with that current lingering issue at hand (which is really due to the fact that it runs b/w Coney Island & Spring Creek in the first place), is going to be some sort of a cure all"

Overcrowding, overcrowding, overcrowding, how many times do I have to keep saying this? The problem is overcrowding. You miss your bus or skip it because its overcrowded and thats makes you late. 

"because the MTA is known to scale back on buses when it comes to SBS...."

Hmm lets see, an articulate bus that can do the work of four other buses and solve overcrowding why would they send two or three artic buses at the same time and cause more congestion and the other buses be left empty? If they're going to scale back service because people can actually get on a bus that can handle the crowds I think its much more predictable service than skipping overcrowded buses. At least the local won't be so crowded anymore with spill over with the limited's.  

The bus routes I talk about here on this fourm are routes I take constantly. I have field merchandising job, I take about 5 bus routes and two trains throughout the week to different parts in Brooklyn. In one of my older positions I used to work straight from Coney Island and a few years ago on my first day I took the 82 and guess what I was almost late to work o my first day because I had to skip about three buses because they were so crowded. Hearing that the B82 is going to become a select and its also going to be artic is so helpful to me as a customer to get to work faster. I don't have to wait 20 minutes for an empty bus. That cuts my commute down by a lot. When the route does goes live I would be the first one to come on here and let you know how fast or just the same my commute was.

As someone who lives here in southern brooklyn having buses that can handle crowds, be a little bit faster, and so on is such a great help. Sometimes I feel that people on here just look at the proposed solutions the MTA has as motorists or just old time enthusiasts. When you have a densely populated city and people double park, bus routes that are overcrowded, you're sitting in traffic it makes your commute hell. If SBS just speeds up my commute by a fraction its a good solution to me. 

2 hours ago, East New York said:

All the buses actually have WiFi now. All Expresd buses are active, and all local buses have them. However the LAN's aren't activated on any buses other than the buses in new colors. So yes it will pop up on any bus, including most all RTS', but you most times won't be able to use it. I'm waiting on an update now in the status because they are supposed to be activating them.

Interesting. I don't want to get too off topic but all of Queens Village's, Jamaica's (minus the ex-ENY) and Castleton's 2015 LFSes had active working WiFi with internet connection when I rode them. My friend has observed this on some of Kingsbridge's and Gun Hill's 2015s also. All of the buses i've been have a visible router on the ceiling on the left side in front of the 3 seats near the front of the bus. Good to hear that all buses have it now and hopefully it expands.

The B82 sbs won't run to coney island and thats not a solution its just a comment or your opinion.

Oh it's a solution, you flat out refused to pick up on it.... The solution was to split the damn thing..... The route in & of itself is too drawn out for its own good....

Guess what pal that was 20 years ago and this is now. I frequent this bus everyday in the afternoon and evenings and let me tell you its hell. The most problems with this bus is that its way to crowded. It doesn't matter if the buses come on time or if they send them in bunches its way to crowded during the weekdays and rush hours. So crowded the MTA is losing money by half of that crowd sneaking in the back without paying. No difference in crowding? More enough reason(s) to have artics on the route and have off board paying.

Well no shit that was 20 years ago (nor was that the last time I used the route, but nice try at framing your comment there as if it was).... The point was that this isn't some new problem you're shedding any light on just because you happen to be a daily rider.... Furthermore, let's not talk about farebeating in regards to SBS, because quite frankly there's a boat load of lost fares being had on the current SBS routes in the system... That is NOT something that SBS will fix.... Bus Operators can tell you that first hand.....

And no, there's is no difference in the amt. of crowding that goes on over there, than in years past.... Usage has stagnated on the route.... What you seem to be getting all excited about with the crowding, is a direct effect of how inefficient the route is from point A to point B.... Service along Kings Hwy. isn't allocated correctly & that's really all there is to it.... Of course the MTA won't address that though.

Yeah because if I could shed 5 to 10 minutes off my commute on roads that are capable of having a bus lane just to spend less time to get to a chokehold area I think thats a bargin, its not 100% perfect but it would work. Better than what they were doing right?

A bargain to get to the threshold of a chokepoint quicker (that goes for both ends of the B82 btw; folks coming in from the west (of Coney Island av) & folks coming in from the east (of Ocean av))??? Hell of a consolation prize there....

For all the money that's being poured into having all these SBS routes in the system, getting through some chokehold area along (whatever) route efficiently should be a priority....

The MTA will do anything to a bus route they plan on throwing SBS on, to send off the illusion that riders are saving time from end to end; as if there's any significant end to end riding that's being done on these long routes.... That's what that propping up of bus lanes along Kings Hwy. from Av. K to Ocean av is all about.... SBS has never been about enhancing the commute for the short distanced commuter....

Harp on small victories if you'd like... Yes, the benefits that could have been put into place with the B82 LTD (such as bus lanes & off-board payment) is "better than what they were doing"..... Having B82's run locally between Canal av & Spring Creek Towers for 15 years before they ended up creating the B82 LTD was "better than what they were doing" before 2010 also.... How did that pan out? It has us on here talking about a B82 SBS, that's what... Regardless, none of that addresses the core issue - which is the route itself.

Let me say this again. Buses comes in bunches, often those buses are crowded, people who wait for those buses either skip those buses until another one comes in 10 minutes or sneak in the back. Sometimes those people sneak in the back and guess what it costs the MTA money. Of course crowds aren't going to go away, that is why overcrowded bus routes need artics not send hordes of buses down the lane. SBS won't get rid of crowds but it could handle them.

Overcrowding, overcrowding, overcrowding, how many times do I have to keep saying this? The problem is overcrowding. You miss your bus or skip it because its overcrowded and thats makes you late.

Overcrowding isn't the problem with the B82, it's a symptom.... The MTA is & has been attempting to fix this discombobulated mess it created with the B82 & that started with LTD service (after over a decade of rider complaints btw)... The western half of the route isn't near as lightly used now, back when the B5 served that part of Kings Hwy... More riders utilizing buses at more stops along a congested stretch of road is going to amount to delays.... This makes buses inefficient.... It's a reason why B82's bunch... It's a reason why B82's get overcrowded.... You're just harping on overcrowding as if it's intrinsic.....

You speak of an artic doing the work of four other buses (Come on, 4 buses... Really now), well the B82 is doing the work of two routes - and it's failing miserably at it.... There's nothing efficient about the B82 LTD service & the B82 SBS won't be that much more efficient than the LTD's...

....and what is this about SBS could handle crowds? Look at what you're saying with that....

Speaking of repeating things, let me repeat that - SBS, could handle crowds.

Yeah, the MTA got you right where it wants.... Believing the hype.

7 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

There isn’t going to be a bus lane on kings hwy between Ocean Avenue and Bay parkway. The things that are changing are a redesign of the parking space around E12th street and extending bus stops on ocean avenue, kings hwy station, Coney Island Avenue, mc Donald avenue, and west 7st. The bus lanes are going to be on kings hwy between avenue K and Ocean Avenue. 

HVSmP7.jpg

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Oh it's a solution, you flat out refused to pick up on it.... The solution was to split the damn thing..... The route in & of itself is too drawn out for its own good....

Well no shit that was 20 years ago (nor was that the last time I used the route, but nice try at framing your comment there as if it was).... The point was that this isn't some new problem you're shedding any light on just because you happen to be a daily rider.... Furthermore, let's not talk about farebeating in regards to SBS, because quite frankly there's a boat load of lost fares being had on the current SBS routes in the system... That is NOT something that SBS will fix.... Bus Operators can tell you that first hand.....

And no, there's is no difference in the amt. of crowding that goes on over there, than in years past.... Usage has stagnated on the route.... What you seem to be getting all excited about with the crowding, is a direct effect of how inefficient the route is from point A to point B.... Service along Kings Hwy. isn't allocated correctly & that's really all there is to it.... Of course the MTA won't address that though.

A bargain to get to the threshold of a chokepoint quicker (that goes for both ends of the B82 btw; folks coming in from the west (of Coney Island av) & folks coming in from the east (of Ocean av))??? Hell of a consolation prize there....

For all the money that's being poured into having all these SBS routes in the system, getting through some chokehold area along (whatever) route efficiently should be a priority....

The MTA will do anything to a bus route they plan on throwing SBS on, to send off the illusion that riders are saving time from end to end; as if there's any significant end to end riding that's being done on these long routes.... That's what that propping up of bus lanes along Kings Hwy. from Av. K to Ocean av is all about.... SBS has never been about enhancing the commute for the short distanced commuter....

Harp on small victories if you'd like... Yes, the benefits that could have been put into place with the B82 LTD (such as bus lanes & off-board payment) is "better than what they were doing"..... Having B82's run locally between Canal av & Spring Creek Towers for 15 years before they ended up creating the B82 LTD was "better than what they were doing" before 2010 also.... How did that pan out? It has us on here talking about a B82 SBS, that's what... Regardless, none of that addresses the core issue - which is the route itself.

Overcrowding isn't the problem with the B82, it's a symptom.... The MTA is & has been attempting to fix this discombobulated mess it created with the B82 & that started with LTD service (after over a decade of rider complaints btw)... The western half of the route isn't near as lightly used now, back when the B5 served that part of Kings Hwy... More riders utilizing buses at more stops along a congested stretch of road is going to amount to delays.... This makes buses inefficient.... It's a reason why B82's bunch... It's a reason why B82's get overcrowded.... You're just harping on overcrowding as if it's intrinsic.....

You speak of an artic doing the work of four other buses (Come on, 4 buses... Really now), well the B82 is doing the work of two routes - and it's failing miserably at it.... There's nothing efficient about the B82 LTD service & the B82 SBS won't be that much more efficient than the LTD's...

....and what is this about SBS could handle crowds? Look at what you're saying with that....

Speaking of repeating things, let me repeat that - SBS, could handle crowds.

Yeah, the MTA got you right where it wants.... Believing the hype.

"The solution was to split the damn thing"

Split a route people actually need to get across the borough, nice. 

"The point was that this isn't some new problem you're shedding any light on just because you happen to be a daily rider.... Furthermore, let's not talk about farebeating in regards to SBS, because quite frankly there's a boat load of lost fares being had on the current SBS routes in the system... That is NOT something that SBS will fix.... Bus Operators can tell you that first hand....."

So lets do nothing!

"And no, there's is no difference in the amt. of crowding that goes on over there, than in years past.... Usage has stagnated on the route...."

Usage has grown by 2.3% according to http://busturnaround.nyc/

"The MTA will do anything to a bus route they plan on throwing SBS on, to send off the illusion that riders are saving time from end to end; as if there's any significant end to end riding that's being done on these long routes.... That's what that propping up of bus lanes along Kings Hwy. from Av. K to Ocean av is all about.... SBS has never been about enhancing the commute for the short distanced commuter...."

I'm assuming you never rode an SBS route have you? Also enhancing the commute for the short distance commuter? If you're taking a bus only a few stops then it would be the local bus you would take. You're not much affected by congestion or such if you're only taking it a short distance. 

"Overcrowding isn't the problem with the B82, it's a symptom...."

Okay you tell that to a commuter who has to wait in the cold because they had to skip two to three packed buses. You know because over crowding isn't the issue. 

"The western half of the route isn't near as lightly used now, back when the B5 served that part of Kings Hwy... More riders utilizing buses at more stops along a congested stretch of road is going to amount to delays.... This makes buses inefficient.... It's a reason why B82's bunch... It's a reason why B82's get overcrowded.... You're just harping on overcrowding as if it's intrinsic....."

Buses bunch well before they hit the congested part of Kings Hwy. Its like you're telling me more so about a bus I regularly take. 

"You speak of an artic doing the work of four other buses (Come on, 4 buses... Really now), well the B82 is doing the work of two routes - and it's failing miserably at it.... There's nothing efficient about the B82 LTD service & the B82 SBS won't be that much more efficient than the LTD's..."

Maybe so the route is doing work of two older routes but still the B5 and B50 are gone and it would be very stupid if they broke up the routes again. So many people rely on that route and especially if they live on either part of the borough and need the bus to get to their house. I am one of them. 

I'm not going to sit here and keep arguing with you on SBS. I get it you hate anything sbs or anything the MTA proposes to try and better commuting experiences. Just keep things the way they were. But you have to remember something. We are a densely populated city, our population has grown since 1995. Even though some routes have declined in ridership the 82 has grown and people rely on it. Its serves the midwood area and its also seeing commercial growth with might lead to more people using it. Our buses are slow, overcrowded, and inefficient at the moment. We need to try and bring our system subway, rail, and bus into the 21st century. Lets just agree to disagree for now.  

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Mmm hmm... Look at all that crowding going on around Kings Hwy on the Brighton though !!

There isn't all this through-riding through that area from either end of the route....

So lets do nothing!

Literally nobody is saying this.

Yes, usage overall since 2010....

I'm assuming you never rode an SBS route have you? Also enhancing the commute for the short distance commuter? If you're taking a bus only a few stops then it would be the local bus you would take. You're not much affected by congestion or such if you're only taking it a short distance.

Your assumption would be incorrect.... You're also taking on the stance of the MTA as it pertains to SBS... If there are people that utilize SBS for 1 or 2 stops, well good for them, but we're coming out with this "new" service for the (supposed) vast majority of bus riders across the city that (aren't) riding buses from end to end, or come very close to doing so....

I should be asking you the same question though, if, what you are trying to implicate is that there aren't SBS riders taking buses for short distances....

Seriously now dude, there are clearly riders taking buses for short distances that are considerably affected by congestion...

Okay you tell that to a commuter who has to wait in the cold because they had to skip two to three packed buses. You know because over crowding isn't the issue.

You choose to want to harp on overcrowding because you don't want to get into what's causing it - Which is your prerogative... But please spare me with the appeal to emotion bit.... It's not much of an argument.

Buses bunch well before they hit the congested part of Kings Hwy. Its like you're telling me more so about a bus I regularly take

Of course they do - and in saying that, you're making my point... Kings Hwy. around the Brighton line isn't the only part of Kings Hwy. that gets congested & sees bunching....

You continually saying that it's a bus that you regularly take means absolutely nothing to anyone that isn't You..... If what I'm saying is so off-base, then refute everything I'm saying point for point, instead of parroting that you're a daily bus rider of the route....

Maybe so the route is doing work of two older routes but still the B5 and B50 are gone and it would be very stupid if they broke up the routes again. So many people rely on that route and especially if they live on either part of the borough and need the bus to get to their house. I am one of them.

Lol.... Saying so many people rely on the route isn't enough.... So many people relied on the B4 east of Coney Island hospital outside of peak hours, but that didn't stop the MTA from "stupidly" cutting that route back in that fashion, now did it? Of course, they bit the bullet on this one & reverted all that service back to Sheepshead...

Anyway, so many people rely on which parts of the route.... The B82 is not remotely needed from end to end..... Not even close....

I'm not going to sit here and keep arguing with you on SBS. I get it you hate anything sbs or anything the MTA proposes to try and better commuting experiences. Just keep things the way they were. But you have to remember something. We are a densely populated city, our population has grown since 1995. Even though some routes have declined in ridership the 82 has grown and people rely on it. Its serves the midwood area and its also seeing commercial growth with might lead to more people using it. Our buses are slow, overcrowded, and inefficient at the moment. We need to try and bring our system subway, rail, and bus into the 21st century. Lets just agree to disagree for now. 

So commence (not) doing that then..... Believe me, I'm not stopping you & have zero desire to want to do so.

With that said, I'm still going to drive home some points... You have every right to disagree or become indifferent to them.....

Apparently you don't get it, if you're tying my despising of SBS to that of being some sort of a purist.... I agreed with the creation of the current B43 (which also happened in '95) - so, oops - there goes that theory.... Our population growing since '95 can also be used as a talking point to breaking up the route, so that goes both ways.... Anyway, having 2 separate routes serve the portions of the B82 that they did, made the most sense & I have no question that, given the adequate amt. of service on both portions of the route here in 2018 wouldn't have either route suffering the EXTENT of the problems that's ongoing w/ the B82....

I'm not going to not be all that accepting of just whatever the MTA gives the people of this city in terms of public transit - and apparently, the influx of motorists, bicyclists, and taxi riders aren't either..... People are fed up with the crap & quite frankly, the allure of SBS has done lost a lot of its luster over the years....

Yeah we need to bring mass transit into the 21st century... In terms of buses, you don't do that with a piece-mealed (and antiquated) bus network, then shroud some number of bus routes with a branding & have that be THE improvement.... If you think a lazy ass attempt at bus rapid transit is bringing mass transit into the 21st century, I got a gorilla for sale.... With the MTA, the sky is not the limit - the limit's the sky..... They don't make "improvements" to benefit you, just remember that....

...pal.

Edited by B35 via Church

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, Brillant93 said:

I thought it was rush hour bus lanes at the curb on certain blocks on the narrow portion of Kings Highway. It's in one of the presentations.

20 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

"The solution was to split the damn thing"

"The point was that this isn't some new problem you're shedding any light on just because you happen to be a daily rider.... Furthermore, let's not talk about farebeating in regards to SBS, because quite frankly there's a boat load of lost fares being had on the current SBS routes in the system... That is NOT something that SBS will fix.... Bus Operators can tell you that first hand....."

So lets do nothing!

"And no, there's is no difference in the amt. of crowding that goes on over there, than in years past.... Usage has stagnated on the route...."

"The MTA will do anything to a bus route they plan on throwing SBS on, to send off the illusion that riders are saving time from end to end; as if there's any significant end to end riding that's being done on these long routes.... That's what that propping up of bus lanes along Kings Hwy. from Av. K to Ocean av is all about.... SBS has never been about enhancing the commute for the short distanced commuter...."

"Overcrowding isn't the problem with the B82, it's a symptom...."

"The western half of the route isn't near as lightly used now, back when the B5 served that part of Kings Hwy... More riders utilizing buses at more stops along a congested stretch of road is going to amount to delays.... This makes buses inefficient.... It's a reason why B82's bunch... It's a reason why B82's get overcrowded.... You're just harping on overcrowding as if it's intrinsic....."

Buses bunch well before they hit the congested part of Kings Hwy. Its like you're telling me more so about a bus I regularly take. 

"You speak of an artic doing the work of four other buses (Come on, 4 buses... Really now), well the B82 is doing the work of two routes - and it's failing miserably at it.... There's nothing efficient about the B82 LTD service & the B82 SBS won't be that much more efficient than the LTD's..."

I agree here mostly with B35 via Church and Garibaldi here. SBS won't fix anything. What has it fixed on the B44 and B46 for most riders? Nothing. In fact, I haven't heard a single good word about the B46 SBS. I was a daily B46 rider in the 1960s and I bet service today is much worse than it was then. Prior to 1975 it operated on a scheduled two minute headway during rush hours. In reality, it was more like four buses every ten minutes. But you never had to wait more than ten minutes for a bus all day long. Can anyone say the same is true today? And then it was only the third most utilized route in Brooklyn, not the heaviest.

Now back to the B82. You know I am for long routes to minimize transferring. But that does not mean every bus needs to go from one end of the borough to the other. That is what causes delays. The longer a bus has to travel, the greater its chances of delays are. The B82 never should have been created in the first place.  The B5/50 was just fine.   No bus transfers were saved by combining the routes and that wasn't the purpose of combination anyway. IT WAS TO SAVE OPERATING COSTS. And it was plain dumb to do that. 

Everyone knows that in most cases, it is the central portion of the route that has the most patronage. That's why it made sense to overlap the routes. The lack of that overlap is what causes your overcrowding and the fact that a longer route means less reliability.  The additional service provided by the B7 is insufficient to really matter.

The solution is increased reliability which SBS has not been known for. Buses on SBS routes bunch just as often as they did before SBS was created.  You get increased reliability with better supervision. Right now there practically is no supervision at all.

The only good features about this SBS plan is the curbside lanes on the narrow portion of Kings Highway during rush hours. AND YOU DON'T NEED SBS TO DO THAT. 

Their solution for Flatlands Avenue to 'reconfigure the roadway has me worried because I don't have the slightest idea of what they actually intend to do. Will they be eliminating left turn lanes? Because that would be disastrous for traffic. They at least owe us an explanation of what is being proposed. But according to DOT, cars don't matter.

I am also against this because where they are proposing to put in bus lanes on the wide portions of Kings Highway, it just isn't necessary. Their own data, if you go through all the reports, shows that except for three hours a day, average bus speeds already exceed 20 mph in a 25 mph zone. So how does an exclusive lane increase bus speeds there? It doesn't. It only will slow down traffic and cause congestion where none exists now.

Also, where is the evidence that more will pay their fares with SBS? I haven't seen any.

So the solution is to revert to the B5/50 or another combination of routes so the route is shorter and more reliable. {No one from Bay Parkway is traveling east of Rockaway Parkway anyway." Better supervision and measures taken to return buses to schedule. Have schedules that adequately reflect running times with adequate layovers. Schedule the correct number of buses to reflect usage. Also, someone please tell me why a saw a not in service B82 on Avenue P? Are they running buses not in service from Ulmer Park all the way to East New York? If so, that is one reason how they are wasting money.

SBS is not the panacea they would have you believe to solve all problems. If they want SBS in this corridor, it needs to make new connections that people will use like starting from Bay Ridge along 65 St (stopping at even numbered avenues only) and Avenue P and extended to Gateway Mall and JFK. 

Edited by BrooklynBus

46 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I thought it was rush hour bus lanes at the curb on certain blocks on the narrow portion of Kings Highway. It's in one of the presentations.

Someone brought it up to me. I kind of glanced over it. The blue lines to me seemed like extended bus stops. That’s what I get for speed reading lol.

I dont know why people taking sbs as a big change. SBS are the same tour that use to be LTD. instead of calling it “Limited” they just renamed it to a cooler theme. What you may see different is probably more buses out during peak hours and the buses will be loaded much quicker since all fares will be collected outside before boarding.

To be honest, only the bus operators enjoys the service more since we dont have to deal with the fare box and just unload and load and unto the next stop. Of course we get much cooler looking buses 🤭😝

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I just saw a video of a guy literally fighting the Eagle Team by Flatbush and Nostrand Avenue, all over $2.75. If you don't have the money or a ticket, just admit it.  This is why we need more of them out there and have to ticket them and so on to send the message home.  Pay your fare!!

Where did you see the video?

1 minute ago, DueceDrives said:

Where did you see the video?

Social media. A whole big discussion about whether or not the Eagle Team was justified in using the amount of force that they used. I just go back to the principle of it.  You don't have a ticket or didn't pay $2.75, step off of the bus and say so.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I just saw a video of a guy literally fighting the Eagle Team by Flatbush and Nostrand Avenue, all over $2.75. If you don't have the money or a ticket, just admit it.  This is why we need more of them out there and have to ticket them and so on to send the message home.  Pay your fare!!

Yeah, yet another occurrence of a belligerent farebeater.... According to the SBS kool-aid drinkers we have on this forum, SBS was supposed to deter these farebeaters....

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A whole big discussion about whether or not the Eagle Team was justified in using the amount of force that they used.....

"Dindu nuffin" defenders are rampant on social media.....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, yet another occurrence of a belligerent farebeater.... According to the SBS kool-aid drinkers we have on this forum, SBS was supposed to deter these farebeaters....

"Dindu nuffin" defenders are rampant on social media.....

These are the types of individuals that I think of when we talk about offering "reduced fares" and those who aren't paying the fare.  They are not "outstanding citizens", and they believe that society owes them everything... Free transit... Free everything.  Until we wise up on this issue and the (MTA) gets serious about dealing with these people, it'll continue to be a problem.