Brooklyn Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Cait Sith

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Ex696 said:

I see...so losing a connection between 21st/41st and Queens Plaza would be bad, then, considering the B62, Q66 and Q69 are all being rerouted away from there.

While the proposed B62 & proposed Q69 wouldn't serve Queens Plaza, the connection between 21st/41st & Queens Plaza would still be had with the proposed Q63 (which would do the current Q66 routing between Queens Plaza & Broadway/Northern).... The connection between 21st/41st & Court Sq. would still be had with the proposed Q39.... So folks north of the Ravenswood PJ's along 21st st. seeking QBP, loses out.

I'm less concerned with the decrease in service levels/BPH between [21st/41st] & [Queens Plaza], and are more concerned with nothing going WBP - LIC..... The proposed B62 bypassing WBP, QBP, and Court Sq. proper, to become more of a regional route by running up to Astoria, is going to be a deterrent... I would much rather either have:

1. the proposed B62 broken up into:
    • a combination of the proposed B27 & the proposed B62 b/w Downtown Brooklyn & Broadway, enroute to WBP
    • a route running between WBP & Astoria PJ's, doing portions of the current B62 north of WBP & portions of the proposed B62 in Queens (with modifications)
  2. the proposed Q39 broken up into:
    • the current Q39 from end to end
    • a route running b/w WBP & Astoria PJ's, doing most of the proposed Q39 route north of Court Sq & most of the current B62 south of Court Sq.

16 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

Should the B62 go to Astoria on the first place? It seems like it was done so the Q69 could run limited on 21st Street. Is there a lot of transferring between the Q69/Q100 and the B62 at Queensboro Plaza?

Just saw the new post notification as I was typing the above reply (which opines on your first question).....

As for the other question, nah.... Virtually nobody does that xfer scenario.

Edited by B35 via Church

9 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

So you want two routes between 27th Avenue/2nd Street and WBP?

I said, "I would much rather either have...."

So, no.

1 minute ago, Q43LTD said:

Does the B27 serve Navy Yard property in this scenario? 

Nah.... and TBH, I would do away with having the current B67 run through there at this point.... The private Navy Yard shuttles get good usage, while the B67 through the Navy Yard basically carries air all day through there....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:
  1. the proposed B62 broken up into:
    • a combination of the proposed B27 & the proposed B62 b/w Downtown Brooklyn & Broadway, enroute to WBP
    • a route running between WBP & Astoria PJ's, doing portions of the current B62 north of WBP & portions of the proposed B62 in Queens (with modifications)
  2. the proposed Q39 broken up into:
    • the current Q39 from end to end
    • a route running b/w WBP & Astoria PJ's, doing most of the proposed Q39 route north of Court Sq & most of the current B62 south of Court Sq.

I would think option 2 is better. The 67 could stay as is too 

32 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I would think option 2 is better. The 67 could stay as is too 

I favor option 2 also.... But in professing that, I still wouldn't have B62's running to Astoria.... Nor would I have buses running back & forth b/w Red Hook IKEA & the Farragut houses via Smith/Court (the proposed B27) throughout the day.....

As for the B67, at best, I'd maybe consider ending where they plan on ending those proposed B27's, if it were to run past Jay/Sands..... Otherwise, I'd have it go right back to terminating at Jay/Sands full time... I wonder how many people in Williamsburg after all this time, even know that the B67 runs in their neighborhood (albeit not in the "trendier" portion of the neighborhood, but still)....

19 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

What about it switching places with the B57 onto Flushing Avenue?

Not sure what you're suggesting here....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

West of Classon Avenue, the B57 normally runs on Flushing Avenue whereas the B62 runs on Park Avenue, but in the redesign, this is reversed.

I'm trying to figure out what the "it" part of your inquiry is referring to, when you say - "What about it switching places with the B57 onto Flushing Avenue?"

Given this latest reply, I guess you're suggesting that the B57 should remain on Flushing & that the B62 should remain on Park...

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Given this latest reply, I guess you're suggesting that the B57 should remain on Flushing & that the B62 should remain on Park...

Yeah, I don't really see the point of fracturing bus service on Flushing Avenue at the BQE instead of having a through route and keeping the B62 on Park Avenue

22 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

Yeah, I don't really see the point of fracturing bus service on Flushing Avenue at the BQE instead of having a through route and keeping the B62 on Park Avenue

It isn't a problem anymore, but back in the mid to late 2000's), traffic along Flushing was notoriously bad (to the point where you'd be in a dead standstill for minutes on end during peak hours), because people at an increasing rate were using it as an alternative to the BQE... It was then that I suggested that the B57 should be taken off Flushing (west of Classon) & ran on Park with the B62 instead, where it would remain until it hits Tompkins/Throop, where it would've then went back to utilizing Flushing, at-and-east-of Woodhull Hospital....

Being honest though, I still think the B57 would be more useful along Park b/w Classon & Tompkins/Throop, compared to remaining along Flushing b/w that same stretch......

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

traffic along Flushing was notoriously bad (to the point where you'd be in a dead standstill for minutes on end during peak hours), because people at an increasing rate were using it as an alternative to the BQE.

Even more than Park Avenue?

On 10/28/2023 at 4:30 PM, B35 via Church said:

As for the B67, at best, I'd maybe consider ending where they plan on ending those proposed B27's, if it were to run past Jay/Sands..... Otherwise, I'd have it go right back to terminating at Jay/Sands full time... I wonder how many people in Williamsburg after all this time, even know that the B67 runs in their neighborhood (albeit not in the "trendier" portion of the neighborhood, but still)....

I meant the Q67 reverting back if the Q39 is kept as is. The B67 can stay as is too

20 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I meant the Q67 reverting back if the Q39 is kept as is. The B67 can stay as is too

I don't like the idea of swapping the Q39 and Q67 once they get to the Maspeth area.  I ride the Q39 often and there are lots of riders who would have to change buses by Calvary Cemetary on 58th St..............especially all those school kids.    

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I don't like the idea of swapping the Q39 and Q67 once they get to the Maspeth area.  I ride the Q39 often and there are lots of riders who would have to change buses by Calvary Cemetary on 58th St..............especially all those school kids.    

I don't either. Especially the service spans 

9 hours ago, Ex696 said:

Did they truncate it to Sands Street in the plan or was it left untouched?

5 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

It was truncated to where the B27 would end. The Williamsburg portion was deleted. 

Something else I'd do with the proposed B67 (if it's to terminate over there by the Sands gate of the Navy Yard {Sands st/Navy st}) is to have it parallel the proposed B27 b/w the Farragut houses & Downtown Brooklyn..... In other words, I would do away with having buses run along Jay St. north of Tillary.... Much of nobody is trying get to York st (F) by bus & those folks that live in the Concord Village apartments don't use the buses (current B67/B69).... Those school kids in the immediate area walk to/from Downtown Brooklyn.... Having the proposed B67 run over the proposed B27 routing up there won't exactly be double the proposed service (of the B27), but it'll have it be that much closer to the amt. of service that those folks in the Farragut houses currently get with the current B57 & B62..... That routing (Tillary to Gold) is infinitely more useful.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Has there been any updates on the Brooklyn design yet? 

Nah, I’d say probably wait until a random press release or something. Hopefully it’ll be this quarter, the map and the service descriptions for the routes were all (in my opinion) bad.