Brooklyn Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Cait Sith

16 hours ago, NBTA said:

Nah, I’d say probably wait until a random press release or something. Hopefully it’ll be this quarter, the map and the service descriptions for the routes were all (in my opinion) bad.

I don’t think all were bad on my side of BK. I think the B40 is a good idea for people in the Bergen Beach side, but it would be great if it went downtown. Then you have the B5 which I feel is just an overlap of the B6. I think if they’re gonna have the B5 go to the gateway it should be the B6 ltd and have the local terminate at Rockaway parkway. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

I don’t think all were bad on my side of BK. I think the B40 is a good idea for people in the Bergen Beach side, but it would be great if it went downtown. Then you have the B5 which I feel is just an overlap of the B6. I think if they’re gonna have the B5 go to the gateway it should be the B6 ltd and have the local terminate at Rockaway parkway. 

Didn’t say the routes were bad particularly, the descriptions of the routes itself, they improved on it in the QBR (with showing overnight frequencies).

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

The B40 is just a cutback of 50 percent of B41 service to Downtown Brooklyn.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:16 AM, BrooklynBus said:

The B40 is just a cutback of 50 percent of B41 service to Downtown Brooklyn.

Is there low ridership between Prospect Park and Downtown Brooklyn, or is it more about pushing people onto the subway to cut costs wherever necessary?

1 hour ago, Ex696 said:

Is there low ridership between Prospect Park and Downtown Brooklyn, or is it more about pushing people onto the subway to cut costs wherever necessary?

As someone who lives in the area, the Bergen Beach branch is usually full of the people who live in this area until it hits the junction. It will often filter in passengers along flatbush all the way to downtown brooklyn and vise versa. The issue arise when there aren't as many Bergen Beach branch buses as there are Kings Plaza buses on the 41 and when it gets to the junction in the evening rush its crowded. So, its not much of an issue going northbound i.e to downtown BK, its the issue for when its coming back in the evening which isn't much reliable. I usually take it often and over the years it has gotten better but they do often short turn the bergen buses at prospect park. 

What the B40 does to right to me is that for one, it separates the branches entirely by number, the times people who wanted to go to KP got on the wrong bus is funny. And second, its a rush route i.e a limited. 

What I think it does wrong is it being cut back from downtown BK, but we have to keep in mind that the B41 is being planned to become an SBS in future, so this will really be a conduit avenue since there will be a local here along with an SBS that will go downtown, along with transfer connections to the (2)(5) and the (B)(Q) trains that go in the same direction. 

I think the B40 rush should probably go to at least Grand Army Plaza or the Brooklyn Museum, but it does seem to make sense to end it at prospect park.  

15 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

As someone who lives in the area, the Bergen Beach branch is usually full of the people who live in this area until it hits the junction. It will often filter in passengers along flatbush all the way to downtown brooklyn and vise versa. The issue arise when there aren't as many Bergen Beach branch buses as there are Kings Plaza buses on the 41 and when it gets to the junction in the evening rush its crowded. So, its not much of an issue going northbound i.e to downtown BK, its the issue for when its coming back in the evening which isn't much reliable. I usually take it often and over the years it has gotten better but they do often short turn the bergen buses at prospect park. 

What the B40 does to right to me is that for one, it separates the branches entirely by number, the times people who wanted to go to KP got on the wrong bus is funny. And second, its a rush route i.e a limited. 

What I think it does wrong is it being cut back from downtown BK, but we have to keep in mind that the B41 is being planned to become an SBS in future, so this will really be a conduit avenue since there will be a local here along with an SBS that will go downtown, along with transfer connections to the (2)(5) and the (B)(Q) trains that go in the same direction. 

I think the B40 rush should probably go to at least Grand Army Plaza or the Brooklyn Museum, but it does seem to make sense to end it at prospect park.  

The B9 needs to be rerouted to serve Avenue N to Bergen Beach. The B40 is only necessary during rush hours and overnight hours. It is empty during the day along Avenue N 

11 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

The B9 needs to be rerouted to serve Avenue N to Bergen Beach. The B40 is only necessary during rush hours and overnight hours. It is empty during the day along Avenue N 

That is not going to happen and a rush hour route only is going to hurt this area, this idea really needs to die out. 

23 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Doesn't the B9 get a lot of ridership at Kings Plaza alongside the B3, since they are much more reliable Kings Plaza-Brighton Line connectors than the B2?

The B3, B41, 46 and 47 get probably like 90 percent of the usage. Few use the B2 or B9. Of course if the B9 is rerouted, the B2 must be retained. That goes without saying, or the B100 must pass Kings Plaza if the routes are combined. 

Don’t know why you would say the B3 and B9 would. Be more reliable than the B2. Since it is so much shorter, I would say the reverse is true. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Shuffling deck chairs...

58 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Don’t know why you would say the B3 and B9 would. Be more reliable than the B2. Since it is so much shorter, I would say the reverse is true. 

Well, frequency-wise, they are more reliable.

15 hours ago, Ex696 said:

Due NB, over the years, boardings have gotten significantly lower north of Empire... Due SB from Cadman Plaza, buses are generally close to a seated load before buses hit Empire.... So the issue isn't that folks aren't taking buses to/from Downtown... I mean, if it were more about pushing people onto the subway, they a] wouldn't have proposed that B41XT or whatever, b] wouldn't (still) propose as much service going to/from Downtown with the proposed B41 local & B41XT combined (despite doing away with directly connecting Bergen Beach & Downtown Brooklyn), and quite frankly c] would've proposed much more service for that B40.....

My thing is though, even given that B2/B100 combination, that lane where the current B2 & B41 terminates at at Kings Plaza still isn't going to be enough space for the amt. of service they propose for the B41 local & the B41XT....

Furthermore, while of course they use that station, current B41 riders aren't "rush"-ing to get to Prospect Park subway.... The rush concept best fits for patrons south of the Junction, trying to get to the Junction for the (2)(5).... But of course, they're not going to run dinkies b/w [Kings Plaza and/or Bergen Beach] & the Junction throughout the day.... To sum it up, no Flatbush av. service should be ending at Prospect Park (B)(Q)(S) on any regularized basis....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

To sum it up, no Flatbush av. service should be ending at Prospect Park (B)(Q)(S) on any regularized basis....

So you think it should end in Downtown Brooklyn, which I think is fine, not that I have a problem with it, but I think I have another theory on why they truncated it to Prospect Park. If they extended it to Cadman Plaza, then the Kings Plaza route would have XT/SBS service whereas the Bergen Beach branch would have normal limited service, and Bergen Beach branch riders would likely complain about it, so rather than keep the routing intact and receive backlash from the Bergen Beach branch riders for not making their branch an SBS as well, they truncated it to Prospect Park.

In other words, they don't want to justify possibly making the Bergen Beach branch an SBS if they have it run the full route to Downtown Brooklyn due to backlash, so in their eyes, having it only run between Prospect Park and Bergen Beach makes it more justifiable to be a limited.

Edited by Ex696

13 hours ago, Ex696 said:

Doesn't the B9 get a lot of ridership at Kings Plaza alongside the B3, since they are much more reliable Kings Plaza-Brighton Line connectors than the B2?

11 hours ago, Ex696 said:
12 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Well, frequency-wise, they are more reliable.

Yeah, the B9 gets more ridership at Kings Plaza than is being given credit for.... However, you're conflating frequency & reliability here - While the B3 & the B9 have higher frequencies than the B2, the B2 is more reliable than the B3 & B9.... The B9 bunches like shit (which is obviously not how service is scheduled to run like) & the B3 slogs along Av. U with as much passenger activity per stop that route gets - which reliability is being negatively affected with both of those situations.... OTOH, you can almost set your clock to when the B2 will arrive.

It is interesting though that commuters in general tend to use the term reliability in regards to when buses/trains arrive when THEY want them to (or think they should arrive), instead of when they're supposed to show up (as per the paddle<>schedule)...  

3 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

So you think it should end in Downtown Brooklyn, which I think is fine, not that I have a problem with it, but I think I have another theory on why they truncated it to Prospect Park.

If they extended it to Cadman Plaza, then the Kings Plaza route would have XT/SBS service whereas the Bergen Beach branch would have normal limited service, and Bergen Beach branch riders would likely complain about it, so rather than keep the routing intact and receive backlash from the Bergen Beach branch riders for not making their branch an SBS as well, they truncated it to Prospect Park.

The theory would be a little more plausible if the proposed B40 was a local (as if to say, we have no skip-stop service whatsoever, while the Kings Plaza branch has the B41XT)...

Regardless, I wouldn't reduce the truncating of the Bergen Beach branch to Empire to a case of mere envy - especially when we're talking about coverage losses.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

Also, should they have tried expanding the B49 Limited before it's likely impending discontinuation from this redesign?

Besides towards kbcc, it's largely useless. Nearly half of the (uptown) route is already duplicated by the B44-SBS

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 minute ago, Q43LTD said:

Maybe it'll be more useful, since it's slated to go to Coney Island 

From what I'm seeing, a lot of people dislike that change. Especially considering that a lot of people who use the route to get to KCC will now have to transfer to the B1 or B68 and likewise with B68 riders who want to go to Coney Island. I feel like this swap will be significantly more detrimental to the B49 than it will to the B68. That and the B48/B69 swaps are bad, and it's ironic because the 8 and 9 are swapped in either situation.

9 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

From what I'm seeing, a lot of people dislike that change. Especially considering that a lot of people who use the route to get to KCC will now have to transfer to the B1 or B68 and likewise with B68 riders who want to go to Coney Island. I feel like this swap will be significantly more detrimental to the B49 than it will to the B68. That and the B48/B69 swaps are bad, and it's ironic because the 8 and 9 are swapped in either situation.

And possibly, all 4 switching depots. Hopefully in the final draft for Brooklyn, they'll revert back. But I do see the 49 losing it's limited service since it will be a local.

1 hour ago, Ex696 said:

I doubt the swap will go through. There was unanimous opposition to it. The B49 Limited would not be necessary if the B44 SBS were rerouted to Kingsborough during school hours. It would save about 20 minutes for students coming from Crown Heights. Service to the nursing homes needs to be retained during changing of shifts. 

The B49 should've never had a LTD to begin with.

The B49 also has no business going to Coney Island AFAIC.... The real issue is that they wanted to dead the B68 right there at Brighton Beach/CI Av., but couldn't - so the next best thing in their eyes is to have B68's running to Manhattan Beach.... Can't have B1's, 49's, and 68's ending at KCC, so they shift the B49 westward to cover the Brighton Beach - Coney Island portion of the B68.....

Also (and this is something I'm going to keep repeating), the fact that they no longer have the B82 and the B68 (which are currently interchangeably used b/w Stillwell av subway & CI av/Kings Hwy.) ultimately forces those riders to take the subway b/w Coney Island & Kings Hwy.... The B68 will do much of nothing for Manhattan Beach riders; as that area has long had a connection to (commercial) Sheepshead, especially....

That whole swap is a total lose-lose for southern Brooklyn overall.