MOW is still king: D and N weekend service to be slashed

Union Tpke

21 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Let's hope this is a covid-era practice only, and not a permanent service philosophy. 

They have been doing this for years. Wonder what happened to midday 7 express service? Track workers like working midday so the cut was made permanent.

10 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

They have been doing this for years. Wonder what happened to midday 7 express service? Track workers like working midday so the cut was made permanent.

In my experience, regarding the (7) or any elevated area, no track workers want to work when the sun goes down. It would have to be an emergency for them to work on the structure at night. My recollection. Carry on. 

On 6/22/2020 at 2:00 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

In my experience, regarding the (7) or any elevated area, no track workers want to work when the sun goes down. It would have to be an emergency for them to work on the structure at night. My recollection. Carry on. 

Chicago manages to safely have track workers work at night.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, MHV9218 said:

a covid-era practice

That’s a terrible practice for the era of social distancing… Social distancing might be here to stay, and that effectively cuts all of the MTA’s previous capacity guidelines by two-thirds. Either the ridership stays well under a third of its former levels or the MTA increase service to accommodate former ridership levels with social distancing.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Chicago manages to safely have track workers work at night.

We are talking about two different scenarios however. Union rules and community opposition preclude that happening in New York City. I remember the arguments about laying up (1) trains between the bridge and 238th St and the (5) trains on the WPR line from Pelham Parkway down to Bronx Park East. Especially on the weekends. Let’s not forget the LIRR  trains laid up in LIC. Noise complaints . We had to cut out the compressors on each consist laid up on the structure because of community opposition to the noise. People complained about us okaying trains overnight for AM service in almost every yard in the IRT. Try doing construction work at night anywhere in NYC. Ain’t gonna happen. Safety is only a part of the issue. My take. Carry on.