2 people stabbed to death on separate A trains in Queens, Manhattan: NYPD

Via Garibaldi 8

2 people stabbed to death on separate A trains in Queens, Manhattan: NYPD

gettyimages-1211939075.jpg

Photo by: Stephanie Keith/Getty Images

A person wears a protective mask while boarding an A train in the Fulton Street station in Manhattan on May 6, 2020.

By: Lauren Cook

Posted at 8:16 AM, Feb 13, 2021 

and last updated 23 minutes ago

NEW YORK — Two people were found stabbed to death on separate A trains overnight, police said Saturday morning.

Officers called to the Mott Avenue-Beach 22nd Street station in Far Rockaway, Queens, around 11:20 p.m. Friday discovered a man with numerous stab wounds to his neck and torso sitting on a bench inside the train, according to the NYPD. The unidentified victim was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The second stabbing victim, a 44-year-old woman, was found lying under a bench inside an A train stopped at the West 207th Street-Broadway station in Inwood, Manhattan, around 1:20 a.m. Saturday, police said. She was also pronounced dead at the scene, according to the NYPD.

A police spokesperson said it’s unclear if the deaths are connected.

A joint statement released Saturday by interim NYC Transit President Sarah Feinberg and TWU Local 100 union President Tony Utano called for an immediate increase to the number of NYPD officers on subways.

“The recent horrifying attacks in the subway system are outrageous and unacceptable. Every customer, and each of our brave, heroic transit workers deserve a safe and secure transit system,” the statement said. “We have been calling on the city to add more police to the system, and to do more to assist those who desperately need mental health assistance. The time for action is now. We are demanding that additional resources be put into the system to address this challenge immediately. Our hearts go out to the victims, as we cooperate with active investigations and urge prosecutors to pursue maximum penalties for perpetrators."

Source: https://www.pix11.com/news/local-news/2-people-stabbed-to-death-on-separate-a-trains-in-queens-manhattan-nypd?fbclid=IwAR1k71f66vFl7P1AX9PPabiXyMiIFw9baQVlJsmXo5pLgdfZMqvVKZ3KgJU

------

Meanwhile, Mayor de Blasio continues to claim that crime is NOT an issue on the subways. 

Source: https://abc7ny.com/subway-slashing-l-train-man-slashed-on-1st-avenue-station/10312535/

Daily News now saying this was a serial event linked to two other stabbings along the A line in Washington Heights.

This stuff is bad, bad news. They need to cut the bullshit on the performative cleanings and actually worry about keeping these trains safe at night. Some poor guy got stabbed out of the blue at 8pm at Christopher St. on the 1 last week, just waiting for a train with his girlfriend on the way back to Corona.

Girl I know came in from out of town last weekend, we got outdoor drinks and walked around. I brought her to the train around 11 or so, and for the first time in my life, I really thought to myself maybe I shouldn't be letting her take the train alone, pretty girl, out-of-towner, given how empty they are this late at night. She was fine of course but I don't like having to think that way. I think this is gonna stop being an issue once covid lightens up and people are traveling regularly again, but this is not a good situation for the time being.

5 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Daily News now saying this was a serial event linked to two other stabbings along the A line in Washington Heights.

This stuff is bad, bad news. They need to cut the bullshit on the performative cleanings and actually worry about keeping these trains safe at night. Some poor guy got stabbed out of the blue at 8pm at Christopher St. on the 1 last week, just waiting for a train with his girlfriend on the way back to Corona.

Girl I know came in from out of town last weekend, we got outdoor drinks and walked around. I brought her to the train around 11 or so, and for the first time in my life, I really thought to myself maybe I shouldn't be letting her take the train alone, pretty girl, out-of-towner, given how empty they are this late at night. She was fine of course but I don't like having to think that way. I think this is gonna stop being an issue once covid lightens up and people are traveling regularly again, but this is not a good situation for the time being.

I don't know about that. Streets are still quite empty, and things are going to get worse before it gets better. Too many mentally ill people out and about, and then you have the emboldened criminals. Not enough patrols...

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know about that. Streets are still quite empty, and things are going to get worse before it gets better. Too many mentally ill people out and about, and then you have the emboldened criminals. Not enough patrols...

Not sure, I don't see why it would get worse than it currently is. People are slowly getting vaccinated and things are slowly (for better or for worse) reopening. We now have restaurants open indoors, and serving until 11pm. The MTA is taking a ton of heat (rightfully) for the subway shutdowns. And the weather is passing its absolute coldest. All of these factors suggest to me more people will be on the street, which is a good thing from a safety perspective. I don't think we'll be back to anything like 'normal' until the summer, but these freezing, empty months with restaurants and the subway closing early may be the worst of it.

8 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Not sure, I don't see why it would get worse than it currently is. People are slowly getting vaccinated and things are slowly (for better or for worse) reopening. We now have restaurants open indoors, and serving until 11pm. The MTA is taking a ton of heat (rightfully) for the subway shutdowns. And the weather is passing its absolute coldest. All of these factors suggest to me more people will be on the street, which is a good thing from a safety perspective. I don't think we'll be back to anything like 'normal' until the summer, but these freezing, empty months with restaurants and the subway closing early may be the worst of it.

Seems like the earliest that most companies will be re-opening is September of this year if all works out. I've been around in the City since the pandemic started, and while it is nothing like it was, it is still a problem. So many businesses gone for one. It will not be business as usual, even when we re-open, with so many people unemployed, and some companies are saying that they will allow their employees to work wherever or do a hybrid, so there's that as well.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Seems like the earliest that most companies will be re-opening is September of this year if all works out. I've been around in the City since the pandemic started, and while it is nothing like it was, it is still a problem. So many businesses gone for one. It will not be business as usual, even when we re-open, with so many people unemployed, and some companies are saying that they will allow their employees to work wherever or do a hybrid, so there's that as well.

Yeah, it's gonna be down for sure. I forget the estimate the MTA consultants had, but I think they had something like 60-70% by summer/fall and 80-90% by spring of next year. Almost nobody thinks we'll see 100% of ridership guidelines within the next couple years because of exactly the hybrid you're mentioning. Having said that, even 40% ridership would make things safer, and specifically having more people on the trains at night. Once restaurants and clubs are open past 11, that will change things. And hopefully this stupid shutdown goes away too. At the time being, people are purposely avoiding the trains any time after 11-12 to avoid being stuck missing the last connection. That makes them especially empty and dangerous. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

They need to cut the bullshit on the performative cleanings and actually worry about keeping these trains safe at night.

Safety on the subway and cleaning trains are 2 completely separate issues because you can't re-deploy cleaners as cops.  MTA is in charge of cleaning trains and NYPD is responsible for passenger safety as you well know.  This is why merging the transit police force into NYPD was a horrible decision.  I've said this many times both here and on SubChat as soon as the idea was offered and today the sh** has really hit the fan.  Very few cops want to work in the subway and 1 Police Plaza knows it.  Or, if you will, sending a precinct Commanding Officer to Staten Island who lives no where near there, as punishment.  It is akin of cleaning toilets all day.  So cops either stand by the booths looking for farebeaters or hiding somewhere.  They are not riding trains, contrary to what we are publicly being told.  When I was a transit employee, I can't tell you the number of times cops were hanging out in our facilities, a tower, or sleeping in a signal relay room.  Signal for police.....LOL.....they claim they are not taught the horn signal and even if they know it, they go the other way.

Our lame duck mayor sweeps the problem under the rug, PC Shea is enough problems keeping the streets safe.  Cops have retired or moved on to other police departments outside NYC and replacements have not been hired.  There are never enough replacements in the academy.  The BLM movement wants cops eliminated and DiBozo cut a billion dollars from the NYPD budget.

And this is what we're left with.  And it's only going to get worse.  This city is done.

12 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Safety on the subway and cleaning trains are 2 completely separate issues because you can't re-deploy cleaners as cops.  MTA is in charge of cleaning trains and NYPD is responsible for passenger safety as you well know.

Definitely not, but we can definitely evaluate what's a better use of city and MTA funding. That's why I bring it up. Originally the cleaners were FEMA funded. I believe that's dried up – Trump admin cut the funding. If we're spending a dime on these useless wipe-downs that could otherwise be directed towards keeping the subways safe, that is a huge mistake.

Agree that the Transit Police merger was foolish on a number of levels.

Edited by MHV9218

Perhaps declining enrollment with the police department is a good thing; what I mean by that is 10-20 years ago there were so many recruits lining up to take the test that NYPD became ridiculously competitive; at one point it seemed like the only guys being accepted were all ex-military (Iraq, Afghanistan) dudes from LI and Westchester.

Not saying there shouldn't be patrols, just saying that maybe if NYPD got more recruits who were college graduates or just civilians, we wouldn't have the problem of the Bloomberg years, where a bunch of out-of-towner army vets were treating the city streets and everyone on them like it's a war-zone.

Edited by R10 2952

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Another thing to add to this; why are there no cameras on board subway trains? 

Your post reminds me, some of the redbirds had signs saying they had cameras on them, I was at the RFW of the 2 train at Wakefield and when the T/O went inside the cab he made an remark about it "I don't see no cameras, maybe they took them out and put em in the new trains (R142)".

IDK what ever came of that project.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

35,000 NYPD officers. Why are they not patrolling trains instead of backing their union leader in photo ops endorsing presidential candidates and denigrating DeBlasio?

Especially since there’s not much going on due to the pandemic, so they have the free time (and the legal and contractual responsibility).

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Your post reminds me, some of the redbirds had signs saying they had cameras on them, I was at the RFW of the 2 train at Wakefield and when the T/O went inside the cab he made an remark about it "I don't see no cameras, maybe they took them out and put em in the new trains (R142)".

IDK what ever came of that project.

The equipment is certainly there. Why they haven't installed them, we will never know...

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The BLM movement wants cops eliminated and DiBozo cut a billion dollars from the NYPD budget.

Defund police =/= abolish cops. Defund police means that money, for example, going towards giving police humvees to use as emergency response vehicles being redirected towards things that engage kids at risk of becoming the criminals we read about; or that, in NYPD’s case, leaving counterterrorism to the FBI, and taking the budget for it to put towards Homeless Services police and social workers employed by the city (because of that scandal with the contractors earlier) to help get the hobos off the street.

Listening to angry raspy voice folks on AM Radio lie about everything isn’t good for health.

And that $1 Billion “cut” shifted NYPD’s school safety unit from NYPD to the School’s budget. Mission stays the same. It’s was the appearance of doing something vs doing something meaningful and substantive.

18 minutes ago, Deucey said:

35,000 NYPD officers. Why are they not patrolling trains instead of backing their union leader in photo ops endorsing presidential candidates and denigrating DeBlasio?

Especially since there’s not much going on due to the pandemic, so they have the free time (and the legal and contractual responsibility).

Don't blame the NYPD. It's the mayor saying that crime isn't a problem. People have been yelling for bail reform and defund the police, well now the elected officials did that. They shifted funding away from the NYPD to other things. Plain clothes unit dismantled... Bail reform alive and well with criminals being out back on the street.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/nyregion/nypd-plainclothes-cops.html

Last night I was coming home on the express bus around 8:30pm. There was a protest on 6th Avenue with people going after the NYPD once again calling them pigs, etc. Not sure what they were protesting, but the police have become the enemy in this City, and when the police don't feel supported, well you have a problem.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Definitely not, but we can definitely evaluate what's a better use of city and MTA funding. That's why I bring it up. Originally the cleaners were FEMA funded. I believe that's dried up – Trump admin cut the funding. If we're spending a dime on these useless wipe-downs that could otherwise be directed towards keeping the subways safe, that is a huge mistake.

The problem is that (MTA) and (NYCT) before it should’ve been doing this anyway prior to COVID.

Look at our system vs other comparable Metros around the world roughly the same age. They budgeted cleaning and maintenance, and rehab/renovation in some cases, while TA gave ZERO effs and let the system become decrepit and viewed as the transmission vehicle of illnesses.

Thats a failure to plan going on 60+ years. But hey, we get waterfalls at 14th St when it rains - so there’s that.

11 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Defund police =/= abolish cops. Defund police means that money, for example, going towards giving police humvees to use as emergency response vehicles being redirected towards things that engage kids at risk of becoming the criminals we read about; or that, in NYPD’s case, leaving counterterrorism to the FBI, and taking the budget for it to put towards Homeless Services police and social workers employed by the city (because of that scandal with the contractors earlier) to help get the hobos off the street.

Listening to angry raspy voice folks on AM Radio lie about everything isn’t good for health.

And that $1 Billion “cut” shifted NYPD’s school safety unit from NYPD to the School’s budget. Mission stays the same. It’s was the appearance of doing something vs doing something meaningful and substantive.

You are correct, but the point still remains. Bail reform has been a disaster. You have people saying why are some of these people being released that should be locked up? Guy robbed a bank on two occasions. He was caught, then released. Why? Because supposedly since he didn't use a gun, it wasn't considered violent, so he was let go. I mean there's one thing to call for the end of police brutality, but we have right now is a total failure when it comes to law and order in this City, a mayor who is completely clueless and out of touch, blaming "COVID" non-stop and a police force that is losing morale by the day. I have friends that I grew up with that are cops.

Just imagine walking around with a bullseye on your back just because you're a cop. That's where we're at right now. It's a damn shame. Sure, you have some crooked, bad cops, but the majority are fine, and we are seeing the entire NYPD being treated poorly.

Let's not also forget the mental ill problem. The City doesn't want the NYPD dealing with them anymore, nor the homeless, so what's the answer? The City has no plan... You also have many cops putting in their papers and getting the hell out with their pension, etc. Who can blame them?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You are correct, but the point still remains. Bail reform has been a disaster. You have people saying why are some of these people being released that should be locked up? Guy robbed a bank on two occasions. He was caught, then released. Why? Because supposedly since he didn't use a gun, it wasn't considered violent, so he was let go. I mean there's one thing to call for the end of police brutality, but we have right now is a total failure when it comes to law and order in this City, a mayor who is completely clueless and out of touch, blaming "COVID" non-stop and a police force that is losing morale by the day. I have friends that I grew up with that are cops.

Just imagine walking around with a bullseye on your back just because you're a cop. That's where we're at right now. It's a damn shame. Sure, you have some crooked, bad cops, but the majority are fine, and we are seeing the entire NYPD being treated poorly.

Bail reform, as an independent idea, is not the worst idea, particularly when the city and state both had jail overcrowding problems due to locking up too many people, and cases like the several people at Rikers who committed suicide because they weren't charged and they took too long to bring about a speedy trial.

Of course, leave it to NYS to implement a fairly decent idea in the worst possible way. The real solution is probably pot decriminalization/legalization, but this is one of those things Cuomo says he wants but doesn't actually do, so he can keep pointing to it whenever he runs against a Republican and say "look at me, I'm different!"

And the executives are not just out of touch on "right" leaning issues. When was the last time you heard about Fares Fair? Probably never, because despite it being a good "left" idea it didn't come from the executive, so BdB slow walked it and made it effectively dead.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Perhaps declining enrollment with the police department is a good thing; what I mean by that is 10-20 years ago there were so many recruits lining up to take the test that NYPD became ridiculously competitive; at one point it seemed like the only guys being accepted were all ex-military (Iraq, Afghanistan) dudes from LI and Westchester.

Not saying there shouldn't be patrols, just saying that maybe if NYPD got more recruits who were college graduates or just civilians, we wouldn't have the problem of the Bloomberg years, where a bunch of out-of-towner army vets were treating the city streets and everyone on them like it's a war-zone.

Declining enrollment just means fewer cops. No one is running to take the job these days. I have two friends that are cops. One I grew up with in high school in Brooklyn, the other one I went to college with. When they started, they were proud to be cops. Now? Not so much, and they are in their 30s, like me. Morale is in the toilet, and with the bail reform laws, the criminals are supported more than the cops are, so they are simply doing the bare minimum, with a hands-off policy. 

3 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Bail reform, as an independent idea, is not the worst idea, particularly when the city and state both had jail overcrowding problems due to locking up too many people, and cases like the several people at Rikers who committed suicide because they weren't charged and they took too long to bring about a speedy trial.

Of course, leave it to NYS to implement a fairly decent idea in the worst possible way. The real solution is probably pot decriminalization/legalization, but this is one of those things Cuomo says he wants but doesn't actually do, so he can keep pointing to it whenever he runs against a Republican and say "look at me, I'm different!"

And the executives are not just out of touch on "right" leaning issues. When was the last time you heard about Fares Fair? Probably never, because despite it being a good "left" idea it didn't come from the executive, so BdB slow walked it and made it effectively dead.

Listen, if we're talking a out non-violent offenses like smoking pot, sure, that I get, but when you've got people being robbed, assaulted, those people should not be back on the streets hours later. Same thing with car theft. It's rampant all over. Why? Because the thieves know that even if they are caught, they'll be released. In short, bail reform has gone too far. When you have criminals admitting that the laws are a mess, you know it's a problem.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Don't blame the NYPD. It's the mayor saying that crime isn't a problem. People have been yelling for bail reform and defund the police, well now the elected officials did that. They shifted funding away from the NYPD to other things. Plain clothes unit dismantled... Bail reform alive and well with criminals being out back on the street.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/nyregion/nypd-plainclothes-cops.html

Last night I was coming home on the express bus around 8:30pm. There was a protest on 6th Avenue with people going after the NYPD once again calling them pigs, stc. Not sure what they were protesting, but the police have become the enemy in this City, and when the police don't feel supported, well you have a problem.

All that says NYPD view their jobs as sinecures.

If you or I found ways to not do our jobs because someone didn’t like us, we wouldn’t be getting paychecks. They’re doing that and getting paychecks. Sinecure.

I always liked how the Secret Service have their protocols, but when POTUS says “This is what I want”, they make it happen. That’s how policing’s supposed to be - protecting the folks they’re sworn to serve, and adapting when the circumstances change. Yet that’s not what police do. Shouldn’t be that hard to not choke folks out when arresting, but police make it so. And then they complain about how they’re treated.

Its a sinecure. 

So I’ll blame them because they went through the academy we pay them in, take the paychecks we fund, and then avoid doing any actual work or adapting to us - their ultimate bosses - saying “do things differently”.

Thats how folks with sinecures operate - as if they’re entitled to money without fulfilling responsibilities.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You are correct, but the point still remains. Bail reform has been a disaster. 

Only to folks who view the few incidents of legal precedent and interpretation as proof the “sky is falling”; whereas Kalief Browder is proof of both being unable to pay bail being a 4th Amendment violation and that having NYC Corrections a separate organization from NYPD or NYC Sheriff a stupid idea due to accountability issues exacerbated by NYS Home Rule law with respect to NYC.

Still doesn’t negate the fact that NYPD are not doing the job they’re sworn to do while collecting checks. Anyone can put that at the feet of DeBlasio or Pat Lynch, but the fact rank-and-file are going along with it says more about them then it does their Union head or the Mayor. 

9 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Yet he’ll be gone once the nursing home Covid issue gets a scroll on MSNBC. We’re a few weeks away from that happening.

Sad that we can have a governor potentially impeached and ousted for a legitimate issue with tape recordings, but we can’t bar a president impeached - during his term - from future office for legitimate issues with riot incitement and attempted legislative overthrow and accessory to murder but for his mouth because of his political party’s corruption.

The number of gun arrests conducted by the NYPD has been the highest since stats began being recorded. Much higher than any time under Guiliani or Bloomberg. That doesn't sound like "doing nothing" to me. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-cops-make-more-than-400-gun-arrests-this-year-20210127-vy5qsjmsyjeizpxc4ckcs27mna-story.html

Yes, we still clearly have issues with police accountability, I'll give you that. However, allowing people caught carrying guns to simply "go free" is not part of the solution. 

As far as the abolish police mindset goes, here's Tiffany Caban who was a few thousand votes away from being Queens DA and now running for City Council in her own words:

“My goal at the end of the day is to ultimately get to a place where we are no longer funding police – period,” she told the Queens Post. “That is not going to happen tomorrow, that is not going to happen next year, but it’s important to have that goal in mind — understanding that there is no connection between police and public safety and we have to stop pretending that there is.”

https://jacksonheightspost.com/tiffany-caban-unveils-plan-to-scale-back-the-nypd-through-introduction-of-community-based-measures

Her views aren't some radical fringe. This has been bedrock thinking for Legal Aid, ACLU, activist circles for a while now and George Floyd only made it possible to start to say this openly.

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

All that says NYPD view their jobs as sinecures.

If you or I found ways to not do our jobs because someone didn’t like us, we wouldn’t be getting paychecks. They’re doing that and getting paychecks. Sinecure.

I always liked how the Secret Service have their protocols, but when POTUS says “This is what I want”, they make it happen. That’s how policing’s supposed to be - protecting the folks they’re sworn to serve, and adapting when the circumstances change. Yet that’s not what police do. Shouldn’t be that hard to not choke folks out when arresting, but police make it so. And then they complain about how they’re treated.

Its a sinecure. 

So I’ll blame them because they went through the academy we pay them in, take the paychecks we fund, and then avoid doing any actual work or adapting to us - their ultimate bosses - saying “do things differently”.

Thats how folks with sinecures operate - as if they’re entitled to money without fulfilling responsibilities.

Only to folks who view the few incidents of legal precedent and interpretation as proof the “sky is falling”; whereas Kalief Browder is proof of both being unable to pay bail being a 4th Amendment violation and that having NYC Corrections a separate organization from NYPD or NYC Sheriff a stupid idea due to accountability issues exacerbated by NYS Home Rule law with respect to NYC.

Still doesn’t negate the fact that NYPD are not doing the job they’re sworn to do while collecting checks. Anyone can put that at the feet of DeBlasio or Pat Lynch, but the fact rank-and-file are going along with it says more about them then it does their Union head or the Mayor. 

Yet he’ll be gone once the nursing home Covid issue gets a scroll on MSNBC. We’re a few weeks away from that happening.

Sad that we can have a governor potentially impeached and ousted for a legitimate issue with tape recordings, but we can’t bar a president impeached - during his term - from future office for legitimate issues with riot incitement and attempted legislative overthrow and accessory to murder but for his mouth because of his political party’s corruption.

Well yes, when you are arresting people and releasing them when they should be behind bars, that's a problem. Easy to say the cops aren't doing their jobs, but with bail reform, some changes have made their jobs much harder, so no point in spending resources catching people that will be released hours later. I understand how some people were caught in the system simply because they couldn't afford bail, but the changes go wayyy beyond some guy being released for minor things.

2 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

The number of gun arrests conducted by the NYPD has been the highest since stats began being recorded. Much higher than any time under Guiliani or Bloomberg. That doesn't sound like "doing nothing" to me. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-cops-make-more-than-400-gun-arrests-this-year-20210127-vy5qsjmsyjeizpxc4ckcs27mna-story.html

Yes, we still clearly have issues with police accountability, I'll give you that. However, allowing people caught carrying guns to simply "go free" is not part of the solution. 

As far as the abolish police mindset goes, here's Tiffany Caban who was a few thousand votes away from being Queens DA and now running for City Council in her own words:

“My goal at the end of the day is to ultimately get to a place where we are no longer funding police – period,” she told the Queens Post. “That is not going to happen tomorrow, that is not going to happen next year, but it’s important to have that goal in mind — understanding that there is no connection between police and public safety and we have to stop pretending that there is.”

https://jacksonheightspost.com/tiffany-caban-unveils-plan-to-scale-back-the-nypd-through-introduction-of-community-based-measures

Her views aren't some radical fringe. This has been bedrock thinking for Legal Aid, ACLU, activist circles for a while now and George Floyd only made it possible to start to say this openly.

Yup, and so she will be the first one yelling the cops aren't doing their jobs, but she wants to make it more difficult for them to do their jobs. There's a difference between making changes and going bonkers. Law and order being lost because of the weak laws on the books.