Train Operator Exam # 4605 (Open-Competitive)

I know the application period for this (allegedly OC) exam isn't for another 4 months. Just trying to get a gauge on the circumstances surrounding T/O hiring as of late. I know it's been roughly 6 years since the last exam (7604), and from what I can gather, the list is still effective. 

I currently work for a passenger railroad and am keen on heading below ground, so I figure I'll the test and see what happens. Anyone thoughts on whether this may in fact be a reality, or will they simply extend the list for 7604?

Thank you for the help.

• 4 months later...

On 7/10/2023 at 2:01 AM, parkavetunnel said:

I know the application period for this (allegedly OC) exam isn't for another 4 months. Just trying to get a gauge on the circumstances surrounding T/O hiring as of late. I know it's been roughly 6 years since the last exam (7604), and from what I can gather, the list is still effective. 

I currently work for a passenger railroad and am keen on heading below ground, so I figure I'll the test and see what happens. Anyone thoughts on whether this may in fact be a reality, or will they simply extend the list for 7604?

Thank you for the help.

If you already have experience, LIRR is open right now

On 7/10/2023 at 2:01 AM, parkavetunnel said:

Thank you for the help.

Passenger railroad… I assume Amtrak right? Why are you trying to leave Amtrak anyways?

Edited by 2ride

• +Young+ changed the title to Train Operator Exam # 4605 (Open-Competitive)

The second edition book, Surfing Through New York Transit Exams, for the train operator and conductor exams has been released on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPDRCQ93?ref_=pe_93986420_774957520. 

Two full length exams with 160 test questions and customers for the first edition of this book stated that the questions give you a real feel for the exam.  The book just went up on Amazon, so it might take a few more days before the book is in stock.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anyone else get an email stating that their payment was not received? I had paid electronically on 12/01/2023 and now they're telling me that I'm pending disqualification if they don't receive a money order within ten days.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2024 at 10:43 PM, mtadreamer said:

Please advise.  I paid and received a confirmation of payment.  I did not receive instructions of next steps.  I'm worried because it's already beginning of March

The exam is in mid May. You likely won't hear anything until April or beginning of May.

Hey Yall, I just went back to check on my application and its not listing anything under work experience, IK i put something in for my current job. Is this reason for concern/DQ, or is the site just buggy and Im worrying to much

Got any ideas? I will be flying in to take the test #4605 for Train Operator.  I will have a back pack with a few items in it, as well as a tablet and cellphone. The test instructions are quite clear in that these items aren’t allowed into the test site.  Are there any lockers available nearby?  I’d hate to have to rent a room just to keep my valuables/backpack in, as I’d hope to fly out that evening.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, Rockymtnjack said:

Got any ideas? I will be flying in to take the test #4605 for Train Operator.  I will have a back pack with a few items in it, as well as a tablet and cellphone. The test instructions are quite clear in that these items aren’t allowed into the test site.  Are there any lockers available nearby?  I’d hate to have to rent a room just to keep my valuables/backpack in, as I’d hope to fly out that evening.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'd ask the proctor what you can do or ask the security when they start letting people in if you can leave your bag somewhere. I've seen people bring in small bags like a pocket book. They just leave it on the floor or against the window in the class room or hang it in the classroom. 

On 4/22/2024 at 12:47 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

I just got my letter for 5/18/24 at 9am at PS248; train operator 4605

Did you get an email also or just the letter? I've yet to hear anything and it's just over 2 weeks away.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:31 PM, Rockymtnjack said:

They'll allow a small backpack, they'll just make you put it underneath the seat in front of you and shut off your phone. That has been my past experience with these exams.

So i got an email with a Teams Form attached, it asking for all the info I put on the application like my work experience and Drivers Licence. are they trying to speed up the process or are just just trying to validate my response on the initial application. if anyone else got this please advise

I also received an email and a text message to fill out the Education and Experience form.  I was unable to open the form on my laptop so I had to do it by text.  I am concerned because I did not receive an acknowledgement text back from them stating that they had received it. Please let me know if anyone else received an acknowledgement back.  I also found it odd that they would send a request like that when we haven't even taken the written test yet.

I also found it odd that they would send a request like that when we haven't even taken the written test yet.

Especially cause they asked for the same information on the application. so they should already have it. very odd, im going to do it later and will update when I do.

On 5/6/2024 at 2:10 PM, Steve said:

So i got an email with a Teams Form attached, it asking for all the info I put on the application like my work experience and Drivers Licence. are they trying to speed up the process or are just just trying to validate my response on the initial application. if anyone else got this please advise

Yeah, I got one too.  I'm not sure if they send receipt acknowledgements so hopefully they got it.

Update Time: 

They indeed did not send a receipt.  I also put the current date instead of Jan 15th as the end of work because like, Im still employed. I know time worked after then isn't credited, but I think that was the correct call