Second Avenue Subway

Maserati7200

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They drilled about 2,000 ft so far.

http://dnainfo.com/20100826/upper-east-side/second-avenue-subway-boring-nears-2000-feet/quickview

UPPER EAST SIDE — It took a while to get warmed up but the MTA tunnel boring machine has now dug through nearlly 2,000 feet of rock on the route for the Second Avenue subway.

The machine, which managed to chew through just 300 feet of rock in June, mined roughly 1,760 feet in August, said Kevin Ortiz, spokesman for the MTA.

When it was launched in May, the boring machine was expected to go through 50 feet of rock a day but that progress was slowed by poor rock quality, according to the MTA.

A runway drill that was testing rock popped up above ground on East 90th Street in July.

The tunnel digging is expected to be finished in 2011.

Read more: http://dnainfo.com/20100826/upper-east-side/second-avenue-subway-boring-nears-2000-feet/quickview#ixzz0yKZjZnHe

Let's just say that the TBM could finish a tunnel phase in 3 years. If it's true it would only take 2020 to finish the tunnels. Putting equipment takes a long time.

Sad how much faster things would be going if they had 2 TBMs working side by side. But at least it's good news if the tunneling is going better than expected. So fingers crossed about the pace staying as it is.

It would progress faster, but it wouldn't help the subway open earlier. They would still take as much time excavating the stations and then installing everything, even if the tunnels were already there. That's why it didn't matter whether they used 1 or 2 TBMs.

Actually, I rather expect that two TBMs would result in the project taking longer, as more time would have to be spend assembling and disassembling the TBMs, potentially preventing other work from going on in those locations at those times.

Remember- The tunnels will be done next year. The TBMs aren't holding anything up. It is the stations and systems which will be taking up most of the remaining time between now and when the line opens.

Actually, I believe Phase I is only to Upper East Side-96th Street while Phase II would bring the (Q) to East Harlem-Park-Lexington Avenues (maybe East Harlem-125th Street?).

If we get that far (Phase III or Phase III and Phase IV), the (T) will be the first new subway line since the days of the I.R.T., B.R.T./B.M.T., and IND.

I think (T) might be considered a B.M.T. letter like (Q) is.

The original (T) ran from 1964 to November 24, 1967. The (T) ran Weekdays from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Coney Island via Broadway and Fourth Avenue (Brooklyn) express and the West End from 6am to 10pm and from 4pm to 8pm; Saturdays from Midtowm-57th Street to Coney Island 6am to 8pm.

The (T) had a sister train, the (TT) which ran Weekdays to Chambers Street; Nights and Sundays, the (TT) ran 36th Street to Coney Island.

That is GOOD! No more overcrowding.

There is still going to be crowding. For one, the (T) only has 16 stops which means that if it might not stop where you need to go. Also, all 16 stations will be ADA accessible, so you might have some wheelchairs, etc. slowing things up. Also, the 2nd Av line will only be 2 tracks. It should be at least 3, preferably 4.

There is still going to be crowding. For one, the (T) only has 16 stops which means that if it might not stop where you need to go. Also, all 16 stations will be ADA accessible, so you might have some wheelchairs, etc. slowing things up. Also, the 2nd Av line will only be 2 tracks. It should be at least 3, preferably 4.

Second Avenue Line will have 3 tracks maximum. I think the 14th Street Station is the only station that has 3 tracks. And I would be happy when I know what Preferably means?

And I would be happy when I know what Preferably means?

dictionary.com is your friend.

Yes, IIRC the SAS will be two tracks, with an extra layup track on each side at 14 Street.(?)

Actually, I believe Phase I is only to Upper East Side-96th Street while Phase II would bring the (Q) to East Harlem-Park-Lexington Avenues (maybe East Harlem-125th Street?).

If we get that far (Phase III or Phase III and Phase IV), the (T) will be the first new subway line since the days of the I.R.T., B.R.T./B.M.T., and IND.

I think (T) might be considered a B.M.T. letter like (Q) is.

The original (T) ran from 1964 to November 24, 1967. The (T) ran Weekdays from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Coney Island via Broadway and Fourth Avenue (Brooklyn) express and the West End from 6am to 10pm and from 4pm to 8pm; Saturdays from Midtowm-57th Street to Coney Island 6am to 8pm.

The (T) had a sister train, the (TT) which ran Weekdays to Chambers Street; Nights and Sundays, the (TT) ran 36th Street to Coney Island.

First off, did you really have to bring up a week-old thread up just for this? Also, you have two errors... The (T) is an IND line because 63 St-Lex is an IND station. Also, the (V) was introduced way after the days of the PSLs (Private Subway Lines).

First off, did you really have to bring up a week-old thread up just for this? Also, you have two errors... The (T) is an IND line because 63 St-Lex is an IND station. Also, the (V) was introduced way after the days of the PSLs (Private Subway Lines).

Actually I revived it since there was no other thread/discussion on SAS construction.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this is just getting too much about the thread bumping. This is like the umpteenth time he's done it. If he wants more converstations, he should get involved in existing current threads than to just bump up old threads.

70(EE) apologizes. My fault I was gone from NYC Transit Forums two months. (September 8th/9th) and I wasn't planning on being away.

No more bumping of any thread older than six days. Five and one-half to six days old should be current enough, no? That's within a week, in fact.

By the way, could Harry, Zach and East New York set it so that Unread Posts don't stay active after six days? They currently run six to ten pages (around 275 to 500 posts) and sometimes they stretch back six or seven days.

Probably it would help if I stayed on page one or two of Unread Posts.

P.S. I think I used to be a lot worse, IIRC, when I first became a member I bumped like two weeks up to a year old. So I must be a little better since this thread was a week old (seven days) when I bumped it.

70(EE) apologizes. :)

70(EE) apologizes. My fault I was gone from NYC Transit Forums two months. (September 8th/9th) and I wasn't planning on being away.

No more bumping of any thread older than six days. Five and one-half to six days old should be current enough, no? That's within a week, in fact.

By the way, could Harry, Zach and East New York set it so that Unread Posts don't stay active after six days? They currently run six to ten pages (around 275 to 500 posts) and sometimes they stretch back six or seven days.

Probably it would help if I stayed on page one or two of Unread Posts.

P.S. I think I used to be a lot worse, IIRC, when I first became a member I bumped like two weeks up to a year old. So I must be a little better since this thread was a week old (seven days) when I bumped it.

70(EE) apologizes. ;)

Why create a brand new thread for an old topic? It's not like you have to read every post from the very beginning... I've been told: search for a topic before starting a new thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering when looking at the various maps that show the SAS: why isn't there any transfer provision planned between the Wall St station at the (2), (3) lines and the Hanover Sq station? Both stations seem to be close enough to each other to provide for such a transfer.

Just wondering when looking at the various maps that show the SAS: why isn't there any transfer provision planned between the Wall St station at the (2), (3) lines and the Hanover Sq station? Both stations seem to be close enough to each other to provide for such a transfer.

There will be a Hanover Sq. station, and it will have transfer connections to the (2)(3) at the Fulton St. Transit Center.

Archived