RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well... you might want to confirm it with a T/O

Ya the last (2) T/O i asked was on an R40S (A) at 59th about 2 weeks ago and they didnt know.. Maybe a few here. Or i guess I could go bk to 207 and ask around...

Tomo Ill see if i catch one, or the next few days.. If not well then they are gone

So far friday i got a pic of one

Ya the last (2) T/O i asked was on an R40S (A) at 59th about 2 weeks ago and they didnt know.. Maybe a few here. Or i guess I could go bk to 207 and ask around...

Tomo Ill see if i catch one, or the next few days.. If not well then they are gone

So far friday i got a pic of one

Well according to many reports, they are expected to be gone. Some of us here believed to have seen it yesterday in revenue service. But I am pretty sure, by today, it's gone. Look, 4 cars as of last Thursday. If they manage to survive the weekend, their demise would be eminent anyways.

Well according to many reports, they are expected to be gone. Some of us here believed to have seen it yesterday in revenue service. But I am pretty sure, by today, it's gone. Look, 4 cars as of last Thursday. If they manage to survive the weekend, their demise would be eminent anyways.

I still dunno wh does the MTA gotta be a bit stupid and send them to concouse for scrapping at 207, instead keep em in service till its over..

I rly hope to see one this week if i can..

now the question is, what is next for the (C) seeing that there are limited cars for it, i belive. Unless the (A) gives up the 32s with something else..

I still dunno wh does the MTA gotta be a bit stupid and send them to concouse for scrapping at 207, instead keep em in service till its over..

I rly hope to see one this week if i can..

now the question is, what is next for the (C) seeing that there are limited cars for it, i belive. Unless the (A) gives up the 32s with something else..

It's not really stupid. I mean, you have the death yard tracks filled with the Condemned. Its all about storage space and whether or not they are worth keeping for another few days. They send them to Concourse Yard so they can sit there and wait till the Condemned cars get sent to the ocean.

Yeah, but last week it was listed on wikipedia as officially retired, which was far from true. Even though nycsubway.org says so, and it is more reliable, you cannot be 100% sure.

We have to wait for T/O's to confirm on this information. I would check with Widecab tomorrow after I visit South Ferry.

AFAIK, they are done. It's listed under nycsubway.org as officially retired.

Actually NYCSUBWAY/Wiki doesnt give OFFICIAL information until its official bro, the real Info is out of the MTA's top people. I doubt just any T/O would know, unless they ask the ones who knows..

I dont go by any sources, but the real sources..

So for now there is a chance R38s are still roaming, plus the G/o could lead the 38s to stick in the rkways..

Actually NYCSUBWAY/Wiki doesnt give OFFICIAL information until its official bro, the real Info is out of the MTA's top people. I doubt just any T/O would know, unless they ask the ones who knows..

I dont go by any sources, but the real sources..

So for now there is a chance R38s are still roaming, plus the G/o could lead the 38s to stick in the rkways..

Top people? I doubt Sander gives a cent about what's going on inside RTO.

There was one set on the (C) today 4098-4099, like I said they were probably caught on the Brooklyn side. They were the end of the string so they may not make it past the evening rush hour.

So then Wiki/NYCS was wrong.. I dont believe it till i hear it from real source.. Good catch dude =)!

The last of the R38s had made their final runs this week. Indeed, they were the least faulty of the 60" SMEEs and featured some of the best rides. For all R38 fans, let us post our pictures and videos here in memory of their years. Also, please feel free share your experiences with the R38s:

p2200006y.th.jpg

*Please don't start flame wars

DAMN, I AM STARTING TO FEEL OLD! I cannot believe one the cars I have ridden for years now is retired! :eek:

everywhere i go, it says R38s were taken out of service on March 13, but there are still about 20 cars in storage and if (NYCT) needs extra cars for their trains, they can use them as a substitute. i think that is what VinnyBrooklyn saw. one pair of R38s being used because the R32s needed some routine maintence. all in all, though, they have been "retired."

everywhere i go, it says R38s were taken out of service on March 13, but there are still about 20 cars in storage and if (NYCT) needs extra cars for their trains, they can use them as a substitute. i think that is what VinnyBrooklyn saw. one pair of R38s being used because the R32s needed some routine maintence. all in all, though, they have been "retired."

I believe that is true, there are a few lying OOS and could be commissioned into service when they are needed. However, they will in turn be sent to the barge. The official day of retirement should be around 13 March or around then, with the final four cars going out of service.

My apologies if this has been mentioned before...but....

As of 4PM this afternoon, 4140 and 4141 are parked at 207th Street Yard. They're hooked up to another R38 pair (couldn't see the car numbers on that pair though and maybe someone here might have an idea which ones are those...).

Also 4028-29 (the ones originally intened for the museum) seem to be staying around for a while...they're parked more or less on the same track where the old dolly cars are parked and there's a great view the pair from the #1 train northbound.

My apologies if this has been mentioned before...but....

As of 4PM this afternoon, 4140 and 4141 are parked at 207th Street Yard. They're hooked up to another R38 pair (couldn't see the car numbers on that pair though and maybe someone here might have an idea which ones are those...).

Also 4028-29 (the ones originally intened for the museum) seem to be staying around for a while...they're parked more or less on the same track where the old dolly cars are parked and there's a great view the pair from the #1 train northbound.

Oh man, they are on the tracks of Damnation

There are a number of R38s still active. (somewhere between 16 and 24) I don't believe any are required for service, but they still may see use til they are finally retired.

Just because you don't see them doesnt mean they arent there.

I am pretty sure they are at 207, not going back in service unless needed.

- A

You know march 16 (After NSF) i was on an R40M (E) to Jamaica, I was at 36th st at about 6:15PM, I thought I saw an R38 on the From and the 32s in the back passing. I dunno if its me, or wat ever. But damn it look like a 38, seeing that the :2s has bards sticking out from top to bottom out, and when i saw the first 2 cars, it didnt.. then the 3 and later did :confused:

Archived