RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a number of R38s still active. (somewhere between 16 and 24) I don't believe any are required for service, but they still may see use til they are finally retired.

Just because you don't see them doesnt mean they arent there.

I am pretty sure they are at 207, not going back in service unless needed.

- A

You know march 16 (After NSF) i was on an R40M (E) to Jamaica, I was at 36th st at about 6:15PM, I thought I saw an R38 on the From and the 32s in the back passing. I dunno if its me, or wat ever. But damn it look like a 38, seeing that the 32s has bards sticking out from top to bottom out, and when i saw the first 2 cars, it didnt.. then the 3 and later did :confused"

You were not mistaken. One pair was in service yesterday, 4098-4099 IIRC.

Took this picture this morning so it shows the date for you non believers out there.

r38subwaycar.jpg

They are OFFICIALLY RETIRED, however some cars are revenue inactive. They may be put back into service if needed. It is only a temporary measure, IMO.

I know, I guess the other may be used for Work on BMT/IND Lines while the retired RedBirds go on the IRT for safety purposes...

Work Redbirds are prized for their ability to go between divisions. So if these guys (R38s) go to work, they might be used as trash trains? I don't really know. The only destination I see the bulk of them is the sea.

Well, put them on tracks in the yard that is rarely used, :)!

There is limited capacity at every yard. They can't store every car just so that some foamer could foam to death over it. Get over it. If they do, they have to maintain it. What use is it to maintain a car that is not going to be in revenue service?

There is limited capacity at every yard. They can't store every car just so that some foamer could foam to death over it. Get over it. If they do, they have to maintain it. What use is it to maintain a car that is not going to be in revenue service?

Hate to play devil's advocate, but that's exactly what they do to the museum cars. Granted, those are "special cases." AWWang's proposal is a little far-fetched.

And I'd rather have IRT cars as work trains rather than Div B cars. As MTR mentioned, they can run anywhere, and they have air conditioning (all the GOHed cars except for the R33WFs), if the (MTA) kept that capability when they retired them.

The R32, R38, and R40 fleets are very useful for work trains. R32s are good for their durability, R38s for their high MDBF, and R40 for the best A/C.

For work trains, the R32s are likely candidates. There may be a few R38s sets saved for work purposes, but that is unlikely. There is already a pair of slants acting as a garbage train.

Huh? You cannot say the R38's are retired if there are still sets in revenue service. Even if its one, they are not retired until that one set is permanently OOS.

when you say "revenue", it means being assigned daily to run in service. the R38s are no longer doing that. a few cars are being used just to fill-in gaps caused by R32 maintanence. that does not count as revenue service.

when you say "revenue", it means being assigned daily to run in service. the R38s are no longer doing that. a few cars are being used just to fill-in gaps caused by R32 maintanence. that does not count as revenue service.

Technically the C is fully R32s. However when say, there is a service gap, they might throw in these guys temporarily to make up for lost service.

if they are not, why did i saw passengers in the train i saw?

The R38 are still in revenue service.just that they're hard to find due to the

number sets left.If what FlushingExpress said was true,the remaining cars

wouldn't be serivce.

Archived