RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

There were still some R38's on the (C) line today. I counted about 14 cars all mixed in with R32's of course.

You see? You see? They are still there!~ Now, who said there was none?

I've been said that R-38's still run on the (C) with a mix coupled on the R-32's and a few on the (A)...ppl need to stop with the hearsay!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

The logo with the R10 on it? Apparently used only on the R38s, subway car wise.

0o0o0o cuz I was wondering if that was an old logo for MTA or something like that.

Here's the proof:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d268djb_4f2wsg5kp

For those bring up features about the R38s, please don't mention their rusted roofs. We all know that GE destroyed them as well as the last R32s. When the R38s were built, they were in fact more aestheitically pleasing than the R32s when every part shined! There were no blue doors, but rather a thin blue strip about the corrugates with corrugated sides going only halfway up the cars. For those that dislikes the cars, remember that their aesthetics were brought down by the graffiti era and the GOH with GE, not by St Louis Car Company. For all those years growing up on the A line, believe it or not but I would mostly get an R38 everytime I got onto the subway. Though their suspension was horrible, I never minded them for their high MDBF, strong A/C, and extra large windows. As a kid, I used to ride with my knees on the bench looking out the window and those benches were still very comfortable. When doing that on R40-R42 benches, you knees would literally fall apart upon getting up. Now that the R38s are gone, there are no NTTs that can take their place for their exceptional MDBF, Aesthetics, and runs on 8th Avenue/The Fulton. RIP R38s:cry:

Here's the proof:

For those bring up features about the R38s, please don't mention their rusted roofs. We all know that GE destroyed them as well as the last R32s. When the R38s were built, they were in fact more aestheitically pleasing than the R32s when every part shined! There were no blue doors, but rather a thin blue strip about the corrugates with corrugated sides going only halfway up the cars. For those that dislikes the cars, remember that their aesthetics were brought down by the graffiti era and the GOH with GE, not by St Louis Car Company. For all those years growing up on the A line, believe it or not but I would mostly get an R38 everytime I got onto the subway. Though their suspension was horrible, I never minded them for their high MDBF, strong A/C, and extra large windows. As a kid, I used to ride with my knees on the bench looking out the window and those benches were still very comfortable. When doing that on R40-R42 benches, you knees would literally fall apart upon getting up. Now that the R38s are gone, there are no NTTs that can take their place for their exceptional MDBF, Aesthetics, and runs on 8th Avenue/The Fulton. RIP R38s:cry:

Yea I thought that page would never update. Its sad for the 38s being retireed, tomo I might head to 207 for a last shot of em. ANyone knows if car

4028 /4029 are in the museum?

EDIT: Just to add, that Datasheet, where does that dude who owns it get all that information, cuz I want true facts off the MTA, not just any1!

Here's the proof:

That is not proof. Kris told me that he did not change that at all. He said another contributor did it, so that is not him. R160B 8713 would only change the information IF he receives proof of a certain phenomenon or picks up the information from a reliable source (Widecab's or the T/O's info here) He would not change it because a few individuals went down to the system and saw that no R38s appeared.

But weren't 4192-93 reefed sometime ago?

Unless I might be mistaken?

They were taken OOS but not reefed, IINM.

According to Kris (R160B8713)'s datasheet, tehy're all gone. :cry: I was going to try to get one last ride in tomorrow! Why! :cry: Well, I'll miss them. No more of those distinctive subway car symbols and the distinctive font that survived.

THEY'RE NOT ALL GONE! Fan Railer is a contributor to updating that datasheet and he updated the R38 section of the datasheet. There are still about 40-60 R38s on property, with 30-40 in active revenue service.

Yea I thought that page would never update. Its sad for the 38s being retireed, tomo I might head to 207 for a last shot of em. ANyone knows if car

4028 /4029 are in the museum?

EDIT: Just to add, that Datasheet, where does that dude who owns it get all that information, cuz I want true facts off the MTA, not just any1!

Sorry if I take a while updating the page. Usually I always update the version on my computer, but I forget to copy/paste the info onto the internet as well as put a new PDF file onto Google Docs. 4028/9 are preserved for the museum but have not been sent to the museum yet.

As for sources, I get almost all my info from images on http://www.nycsubway.org. If I get word from T/Os (or the user WideCab5) about any changes (usually from Subchat), then I will update my sheet accordingly. I do not update my sheet based on rumors without proof. But in order to avoid things like this from happening again, I'll add more detailed sources and links when I make an update.

so, are we proof positive, or are the R38's still running? do we need to do a shoutout to the t/o's?
R38s are still running. BTW, I'm about to email you. Check your email...

LOL even sum1 edited the wiki page, saying 0 in service, and now it says 40?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R38_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

Now who do I belivie.

My best chance is that thr 38s are still in service. Seeing that if all the 38s were out, this would mean limited service for the (C) mainly. So this topic is useless for now. I will be in the look out for 38s as I always use the IND st, nicholas line after i leave skool. Tomo ill head to 207 for the 38s that are on the Barge if there is any.. And might ask sum1 there if all the 38s are off, dunno.

LOL even sum1 edited the wiki page, saying 0 in service, and now it says 40?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R38_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

Now who do I belivie.

My best chance is that thr 38s are still in service. Seeing that if all the 38s were out, this would mean limited service for the (C) mainly. So this topic is useless for now. I will be in the look out for 38s as I always use the IND st, nicholas line after i leave skool. Tomo ill head to 207 for the 38s that are on the Barge if there is any.. And might ask sum1 there if all the 38s are off, dunno.

Put your credit into me, Kris and the "Foamfighting" group. We are here to provide informative and reliable information for others. We are here to make sure things get cleared up.

Kris's sheet had a snafu in it. This is cleared up. There are now 40 cars left.

I went back to the R38 page before and I undid everything that was done in the past 24 hours. My purpose is to provide the most accurate information for all the users. The datasheet had a fault in it and the information was rectified just before. I did the same with the R38 page and the NYCS template.

PLEASE, DO NOT UNDO THE RECENT CHANGES THAT I MADE.

Okay, if you're so smart, what proof do you have to proof that the R38 are not running?

let's NOT start...

and i didn't say i didn't have proof.

i said we should look for proof from t/o's

there has to be someone on this site that has reliable information.

and i'm going to ask.

let's NOT start...

and i didn't say i didn't have proof.

i said we should look for proof from t/o's

there has to be someone on this site that has reliable information.

and i'm going to ask.

Well actually before you edit that datasheet, you should actually have consulted Kris before and let him see. Because he was surprised himself when I told him about it, today.

If anyone has doubts, the best thing to do is to take the (C). I use the C, so tomorrow I'm probably going to do some investigation as I head home from school. If I see any R-38s, then I'll be sure to let everybody know which cars they were. I'm quite sure that the R-38 still LIVES, though time is running out. (C)(K)

Just to keep eveyones shoes on, the R38s are alive! Thats RIght they are. I came out of skool took the IND st nicholas line, at 135, and I heard a train leaving on the SB side, so I ran, and I saw 2 SETS of R38s coupled to the 32s on the (C) =D , sry no shots as the train left~

I forgot the car number, it ended with the number 20 of course! So it must be 4120 as thats the only1 that is shown on that datasheet.

I also headed to 207 where I saw 2 to 3 sets of 38s that seemed to be in the process of scrapping, ill show the pics later or tomo.

If anyone has doubts, the best thing to do is to take the (C). I use the C, so tomorrow I'm probably going to do some investigation as I head home from school. If I see any R-38s, then I'll be sure to let everybody know which cars they were. I'm quite sure that the R-38 still LIVES, though time is running out. (C)(K)

Just to keep eveyones shoes on, the R38s are alive! Thats RIght they are. I came out of skool took the IND st nicholas line, at 135, and I heard a train leaving on the SB side, so I ran, and I saw 2 SETS of R38s coupled to the 32s on the (C) =D , sry no shots as the train left~

I forgot the car number, it ended with the number 20 of course! So it must be 4120 as thats the only1 that is shown on that datasheet.

I also headed to 207 where I saw 2 to 3 sets of 38s that seemed to be in the process of scrapping, ill show the pics later or tomo.

They are alive, WideCab5 (Mr George Chiasson Jr) kindly sent a reply email today, saying that there are 26 in service.

They are alive, WideCab5 (Mr George Chiasson Jr) kindly sent a reply email today, saying that there are 26 in service.

Yes Alive but for how long, we were just :) now we are =D , then when its retired for gd then it bk to B)

Archived