Is it time to end the MTA?

Shortline Bus

Barring a 11-hour recuse from Albany, starting around June 1st, 2009 the worst set of service cuts and fare hikes in over 30 years will occur. Most of us on these boards have already discussed so this topic is about chnaging the ownership/managemnt of the MTA itself. Feel free to comment on your ideas. Here my takes.

I think NYC Transit should become 'independent' again like it was bfore the 1968 state takeover. The new NYCTA (NYCTA)would be operated by the city as a semi private-pulic company. The Mayor would choose and appoint the head of the subways-buses and a general manager aka separtly for the subways and buses.

Since politics/money plays a huge role in almost every decision anyway at least someone is held accountable by voters if any problems.

Nassau County would take over and be in charge of LI Bus.

The (MTA) would still be run by the state but only only the LIRR and MNRR. It would till be similar to what MTA and Port Authority/Path have separte agencies but have a working agreement like Metro Card selling etc.

Thanks in advance.

I think the subways, LIRR, and MNRR should be ran by MTA. As for the buses, I think they should be privatized. MTA doesn't take very good care of them, but Liberty Lines takes great care of Westchester's Bee-Line buses (and took great care of the NYCDOT LLE buses). The city needs to find companies like Liberty Lines. With this, it would cost the city less. I doubt too many of the private companies will pay drivers what MTA pays (except Liberty which I don't think has sick days though), they will work till 62, and I don't think the benefits package will be the same. Uniforms won't be free, but with all this bad, at least they will get better respect than MTA gives. You won't be a number, cause private lines recognize and respect their drivers, especially the good ones. Why when I got that call from Liberty, the same day I got the letter from OA, I don't know why I didn't just say yes to Liberty. Buses ain't packed all hours of the day, just rush hours only, they have running room unlike TA. I can't lie, this is the biggest mistake I made.

I hope MTA is shrunk over time, and only rails remain. Buses should become all privatized/public outfits. Liberty Lines shows it does work (until contract time)........

I think the railroads should part ways, and be individual entities unto themselves, and (MTA) only be in charge of things that don't leave the city aside from maybe one small stretch such a SI bus route that goes into NJ etc. I mean, why exactly does a service going extensively into another state and barely has any stops within NYC limits have to be part of (MTA)? Also, LIRR, the counties served by LIRR should pay for it, that way there is accountability. SIR made into a real railroad and light rail etc, manage its own system. Long island bus, same as LIRR.

If the states want to pitch in funding, cool, but no more huge sprawling (MTA).

- A

To me I would like some who has the money meaning Bloomberg money to either take part ownership of the MTA and privatize the company. It was run better and maintained a whole lot better before the city and state took it over. Unfortunately for us the embezzlement and mass corruption that was going on in the 40s,50s, 60s, and 70s finally caught up to the MTA, subway cars and buses breaking down, broken rails, and decrepit stations finally the company had to beg for money. We straphangers have been fronting the bill for years. Think of it the fare was only a nickel now May 31 will be $2.50!!! MTA is full of greedy bureaucratic lowlifes that just feed on the riding public. The MTA shoulkd have been disbanded a while ago. The private bus lines should have been left alone and not swallowed up. I think the transit in NY should be broken up. Subways and buses should be one entity. MTA BUS should be another. LIRR & MNRR should be another all should be regulated by the city but run privately. The other point is to make them be on the same page for fares, maintenance, and financial accessability.

I think the railroads should part ways, and be individual entities unto themselves, and (MTA) only be in charge of things that don't leave the city aside from maybe one small stretch such a SI bus route that goes into NJ etc. I mean, why exactly does a service going extensively into another state and barely has any stops within NYC limits have to be part of (MTA)?

Remember though that the (MTA) is state-run, not city-run.

Remember though that the (MTA) is state-run, not city-run.

Like i said, make (MTA) go away, and only (NYCT) remain, focus on service within the city, nothing that leaves the city for more than 15% of its route, and let the railroads be run separately.

LIRR, SIRT, MNRR, (NYCT bus and NYCT subway), RIOC, SIF, LIB, Bee-Line. Simple as that.

The way things are going now it should be "(MTA) going away"! :mad::tdown:

- A

To me I would like some who has the money meaning Bloomberg money to either take part ownership of the MTA and privatize the company. It was run better and maintained a whole lot better before the city and state took it over. Unfortunately for us the embezzlement and mass corruption that was going on in the 40s,50s, 60s, and 70s finally caught up to the MTA, subway cars and buses breaking down, broken rails, and decrepit stations finally the company had to beg for money. We straphangers have been fronting the bill for years. Think of it the fare was only a nickel now May 31 will be $2.50!!! MTA is full of greedy bureaucratic lowlifes that just feed on the riding public. The MTA shoulkd have been disbanded a while ago. The private bus lines should have been left alone and not swallowed up. I think the transit in NY should be broken up. Subways and buses should be one entity. MTA BUS should be another. LIRR & MNRR should be another all should be regulated by the city but run privately. The other point is to make them be on the same page for fares, maintenance, and financial accessability.

You mean a 'private company' like the US Postal Service right (A)(A)? The USPS is regulated by the feds but operates as a separte 'indepdent' company.

The USPS is a good model in terms of oversight, but not of funding. (it receives zero tax dollars).

I think that LIRR, MNRR, and BT should all be separate companies.

NYCT and MTAB should merge to be one.

I do agree with the returning of each service to its original owners. This will allow for competition, which will in turn lead to better service and less state and city pressure. All we would need are some regulatory laws.

You could allow other companies to operate on LIRR trackage too, which would increase trains per hour, and lower fares.

- A

I do agree with the returning of each service to its original owners. This will allow for competition, which will in turn lead to better service and less state and city pressure. All we would need are some regulatory laws.

But that would mean no free tranfers at multi-company stations. Like you wouldn't be able trasfer from the (2) the (Q) at times Square for free. Another problem is that we now have BMT and IND lines in one e.g. the (:)(D)(R), what would happen to those lines?

I think the subways, LIRR, and MNRR should be ran by MTA. As for the buses, I think they should be privatized. MTA doesn't take very good care of them, but Liberty Lines takes great care of Westchester's Bee-Line buses (and took great care of the NYCDOT LLE buses). The city needs to find companies like Liberty Lines. With this, it would cost the city less. I doubt too many of the private companies will pay drivers what MTA pays (except Liberty which I don't think has sick days though), they will work till 62, and I don't think the benefits package will be the same. Uniforms won't be free, but with all this bad, at least they will get better respect than MTA gives. You won't be a number, cause private lines recognize and respect their drivers, especially the good ones. Why when I got that call from Liberty, the same day I got the letter from OA, I don't know why I didn't just say yes to Liberty. Buses ain't packed all hours of the day, just rush hours only, they have running room unlike TA. I can't lie, this is the biggest mistake I made.

I hope MTA is shrunk over time, and only rails remain. Buses should become all privatized/public outfits. Liberty Lines shows it does work (until contract time)........

Actually in several other cities/regions of this country, the city or county/state 'owns' and runs the 'light rail/train' service' and 'leases' the local bus lines to 'private' companies.

In San Diego for instance, the state of California and San Diego County 'owns' and operates the 'light rail'(aka SD Trolley) and several SD City Bus routes directly. The other 75% of the bus routes that the local governments in SD owns are 'leased' to 3 'private' companies to rest of SD including the nearby suburus, based i think on a 10 year contract. (Correct me if i wrong about the bus system in SD on that above statement)

Every time about every 10 years the SD County and towns in or near City San Diego have public hearings and if the 'private' company gets tons of complaints they lose the renewal contract.

Maybe at least the NYCT/MTA express buses and LI Bus could have a similar deal with companies like Coach USA or Acdemedy Bus lines biding for them.

Just my takes.

The MTA should just disappear. It's too big of an entity and you have too much politics going on. These can affect the operations. Privatisation of the individual components will benefit them. The railways should operate separately. City transit (the subways and the buses) should be operated under a separate entity that actually focuses on these exclusively. All intramural tolling privileges should be handed over to the NYCDOT.

You mean a 'private company' like the US Postal Service right (A)(A)? The USPS is regulated by the feds but operates as a separte 'indepdent' company.

What's funny, is the MTA is suppose to be the same way. An independent private company, regulated by the state. But knowing it was created by the state, and the head and inspector general are appointed by the Gub-nah, we know it is a state ran agency..........

Archived