Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Bracamonte

Remember these?

Rode on them quite often, although only the Triboro ones. My elementary school had two Triboro lines close by, and they came every now and then. Even soon after the (MTA) takeover, they were coming by.

Can anyone explain why they retired them and for what purpose?

CNG tanks lifespan ended. Same thing is happening @ LI Bus with their Orion V CNGs from the mid 90s.

CNG tanks lifespan ended. Same thing is happening @ LI Bus with their Orion V CNGs from the mid 90s.

What do you mean CNG tanks lifespan ended?

What do you mean CNG tanks lifespan ended?

IIRC there is a law where CNG tanks on buses must be replaced every 12 years. The MTA took over those PBL just about when those CNG RTS hit 12 years old, I guess the MTA didn't want GOH them with new CNG tanks.

Yup I remember those buses. I remember 2052 at some point had a different rear similar to the RTSs in Los Angeles. I remember those buses had a serious lean when the bus would turn.

So did they get scrapped or repowered to diesel? I've seen some after the takeover with the numbers 7xxx at Spring Creek, and now those exact numbers are at Far Rockaway. The 7xxx at Far Rockaway looks EXACTLY like the ones in the pics, minus the top.

Guest Charles

These buses bring back good memories. Too bad they had to go so early.

So did they get scrapped or repowered to diesel? I've seen some after the takeover with the numbers 7xxx at Spring Creek, and now those exact numbers are at Far Rockaway. The 7xxx at Far Rockaway looks EXACTLY like the ones in the pics, minus the top.

MTA Bus sent the CNG RTS from LGA to SC after the pipeline explosion at LGA. Bus 7212 fell off of a lift or something before the takeover and was completely rebuilt. It was last seen at one of the GBL depots. IDK, my last two trips were to SEPTA and the PM Rush in Midtown.

Guest Charles

Does this mean in a couple of years the Orion V CNGs will also suffer the same fate?