7 line extension

traildriver

It is great that the (7) is being extended. However, I think the (L) line should also be extended to meet the (7) line. If not, then the (7) should be extended to 14 Street, 8th Avenue to connect the (A)(C)(E)(L) lines. That's not a bad idea.

I saw on Wiki that the Lay up tracks south of the new term is a provision for a future extension to Chelsea

I saw on Wiki that the Lay up tracks south of the new term is a provision for a future extension to Chelsea

Don't believe what you read on Wiki, but the storage tracks will extend all the way down to 25th street. I would be a great idea to extend the line to 14th Street, if they did that the extension might be worth it.

I have been watching the progress from inside the bus terminal (where I work), and they are now almost finished covering the pit. One question I have is whether the new line cuts through the unused lower level of the Eigth Avenue Line or does it go below it (the pit sure looks deep enough!), so that the lower level remains intact for posssible future use?

I have been watching the progress from inside the bus terminal (where I work), and they are now almost finished covering the pit. One question I have is whether the new line cuts through the unused lower level of the Eigth Avenue Line or does it go below it (the pit sure looks deep enough!), so that the lower level remains intact for posssible future use?

They have already cut through the lower level of 42nd Street on the (A)(C)(E). I think someone had said that it may be used as an emergency exit. There were pictures on nycsubway.org showing what has been done to the lower level. Scroll to the bottem of this page. http://nycsubway.org/perl/stations?7:2345

It should since the rule book states that the speed for entering a terminal that has a block at the end is 10MPH. Look at 57/7 on the (Q), when the in coming train is not going over the switch they come in at speed. Though it would also depend on how close the last lay-up train is to the station, but since the lay-up extends to 25th street I don't think it will be a problem. This is the (MTA) wer are talking about though, they could always timer the hell out of it.

It may be possible that there might be a stop in Chelsea, however it is not on the current programme. The current programme calls for tracks to as far as 25th Street (lay-ups), a station at 34th and possibly a station at 10th (probably funded through the stimulus). The line would benefit if there is a stop at 23rd since Chelsea Piers is right there.

I still think that when the mets play at citi, there is not nearly enough capacity, and this extension, all be it needed for better service after 8th ave, will add to that in a major and negative way.

- A

There will be three tracks at Javits Center, so it may be even more efficient than Times Sq. Not to mention that the tail tracks will extend for HALF A MILE, which is much more than the pitiful 30 feet at South Ferry. The station will likely be built completely straight, so there will be no need for timers (except unless a train enters the station over a switch, where there will probably be a 20-25MPH timer).

Is there a way to have "high speed switches" on NYCT trackage? Trains leaving Main Street (especially on the wrong-railing track) seem to run over the switches a little faster than typical...(maybe it's just me).

Is there a way to have "high speed switches" on NYCT trackage? Trains leaving Main Street (especially on the wrong-railing track) seem to run over the switches a little faster than typical...(maybe it's just me).

You can have them on elevated lines, but in tunnel you got those support beams. For now i see the wormy S low speed switches staying in place.

If you had the money & staggered outages with substitute busses you could replace the older supports with beefier stuff & a bolster beam & give the switch track more space & straighten it out.

I think high aspect & "S" switch tracks are :( to have on any modern system especially when you can fix it. Even the ladder at nyp and hoboken terminal are rated at 35, and that's with much heavier equipment too!

- A

Considering that by rule all switches are to be taken at 10 MPH unless other wise noticed, there are several places were trains travel nore then that. When (F) merges on to the Queens Blvd line after 21st Street, it takes at that switch around 25 to 30 MPH. Other then that I can't think of too many other places like that.

There she is!

I mean heck even at trenton the amtk trains dont slow any more than for pulling into a station.

I think (NYCT) should invest in re-enforced switches. The kind with the metal bars & bolsters on the side of the rail that takes the force to keep the gauge true.

Heavy rail as the subway is, PRR used to operate H&M trains at 65, but that was another time when engineering came before the passenger amenities of the system.

(P.S. I think you mean west, because theres only tunnel after the 8th ave bridge.)

- A

(MTA) are they gonna finish the 10 ave station shell or are they not finishing it?All that construction for this extension i would of liked to see the(7) go downtown as a 11ave train and terminate at south ferry (1) Making stops at 34 st. 14 st canal st. last stop South Ferry

There will be three tracks at Javits Center, so it may be even more efficient than Times Sq. Not to mention that the tail tracks will extend for HALF A MILE, which is much more than the pitiful 30 feet at South Ferry. The station will likely be built completely straight, so there will be no need for timers (except unless a train enters the station over a switch, where there will probably be a 20-25MPH timer).

All terminal stations are timed for 10MPH, whether you come in straight or diverge to enter the station. IIRC even terminals with tail tracks or yard leads beyond the station proper have this restriction. In the IRT think New Lots, Dyre, or Brooklyn Bridge.

Archived