9 car (3) trains

bigrene18

The yard and station )Lenox Terminal) at the north end could only handle 9 car trains. They have since extended both to fit 10 car trains. In fact the station at 145th Street can only handle 5 cars and has not been extended.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The yard and station )Lenox Terminal) at the north end could only handle 9 car trains. They have since extended both to fit 10 car trains. In fact the station at 145th Street can only handle 5 cars and has not been extended.

When did they extended it to the 10 car length?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

When did they extended it to the 10 car length?

I believe that this happened right after September 11th. If you ask me, I initially thought that they extended it because of the abundance of train cars as the redbirds were being phased out. The 9-car marker still exists in some places along the route where the (3) runs.

I believe that this happened right after September 11th. If you ask me, I initially thought that they extended it because of the abundance of train cars as the redbirds were being phased out. The 9-car marker still exists in some places along the route where the (3) runs.

Ok, Thanks.

Ok, Thanks.

Anytime.

The terminal itself could hold 10 cars but the configuration of the yard itself led to 7,8,and 9 car tracks, so with equipment shortages and such back then it was easier to run 9 car consists. Most trains had 2 or 3 car classes in it's consist. When the R62A single cars came to Lenox they kept the nine car consists but when they went to the R62 cars (from Woodlawn) those cars were already linked in 5 car units so they started using 10 cars. Hope this helps answer your question.

what cars are you talking about.

are you talking about R62 #1301 - #1625?

so you saying (3) use to run in 9 cars. when they used to

have R62A singles #1901 - #2155. but i never see

# 1301 - #1625 can become R62 singles and also it become

( i might think it also can be linked to 9 cars akso

are they become sinlges again just like

R62A #1901 - #2155? #1301 - #1625 are 5 car unit

oe they become single again?

what cars are you talking about.

are you talking about R62 #1301 - #1625?

so you saying (3) use to run in 9 cars. when they used to

have R62A singles #1901 - #2155. but i never see

# 1301 - #1625 can become R62 singles and also it become

( i might think it also can be linked to 9 cars akso

are they become sinlges again just like

R62A #1901 - #2155? #1301 - #1625 are 5 car unit

oe they become single again?

The R62s are staying linked as 5 car units.

I believe they were linked into 5-cars sets to save money.

Actually both the R62 and R62A cars were all single cars when purchased. The R62 cars were linked in 5 car units to save money because of the lack of spare parts. Instead of 20 sets of sealed beams, or wiper motors, or horns, etc. on a 10 car train you now need just a full complement of everything on cars 1,5,6,and 10 while everything else in between becomes spare parts. Since that idea saved some money they did the same to the R62A cars except for some singles for the (S) and (7).

Extending 145th Street is a tough job onto itself.

Extending 145th Street is a tough job onto itself.

Not possible. Can't extend the platforms on the north end because of the crossover into 148th before the curve, can't extend the platforms south because of the (2) tracks to Mott.

145th Street is now the only station in the entire subway that is five car-lengths long (I hope it doesn't close because of this!!!)

It probably won't be closed because it's a major east-west corridor and w/ the bridge connects to 149th St in the Bronx. It's also a bus route street.

It probably won't be closed because it's a major east-west corridor and w/ the bridge connects to 149th St in the Bronx. It's also a bus route street.

Yup, that's true.

Is the 7 train the only one that uses 11 car trains and, if yes, has it always been the only one?

The (E) and (F) used to run 11 cars of the R1/9 series back in the 50's , I think.

you must saw that R62A singles / was linked to R62 #1301 - #1625.

maybe (NYCT) consider to put R62A singles to linked to R62.

while 148 street yard dont have not enough room to put 5 car unit

of R62. but they was think to put singles to linked 5 car unit

because maybe (3) line were shortage car. while they R62A singles out jerome yard /and use R62 of (3). while (3) line dont have that many riders.

just like when R62A used to run (6). when #1651 - #1900 was not 5 car

unit. they use 7 car that was linked during 90's to run weekend. until

1999 when #1651 - #1900 became 5 car unit.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Not possible. Can't extend the platforms on the north end because of the crossover into 148th before the curve, can't extend the platforms south because of the (2) tracks to Mott.

That's not true, because when the train (northbound) is berthed in the station, the rear is nowhere near the junction. Else, the (2) would be blocked anytime the trainwas in the station, and there's often a wait to get into 148.

I would think it might have more to do with the tunnel structure making it unfeasible to carve an extension. (Not the usual steel beam cage, but The old contract 1 construction:something inbetween the square cage and an archway. Not sure how that is constructed. Looks pretty solid concrete). Might have to be completely reconstructed, and the station is probably not busy enough for them to invest that much work into.

Archived