(4) Jerome Av EXP Pilot

R62A 1991

Well to my understanding its more for the benefit of the Manahattan riders (people who transfer from the (6) and others who get on at express stations north of 59th Street), its to make space available for people who get on at those stations, from what I hear most (4) trains are crush loaded by the time they arrive at 125th, with the <4> more space and seats will be availabe for those boarding in Manhattan. Which prompts me to ask, do they have "put-ins" at 125th street on the Lexington Ave Line? or is this their way of experimenting with them

I love how all you people zone out the fact that

a) this only runs every 15 minutes

:( Once the train arrived at Manhattan, it was much less crowded, making it easier for a lot of people

the only drawback: people at Fordam road will feel bad :cry: (oh no!)

The fact is, it is making the ride easier for a lot of passengers and you guys don't seem to care.

But you guys would rather have all (4) trains arriving at the already crowded Lex line fully loaded, because you know, the people at

(4) - Jerome Local starting from Burnside southbound

<4> - Jerome Express (north of Burnside makes all stops)

Passengers south of Burnside on the local gets less space on their trains as well, while passengers from Fordham and north have less passengers and a speedier ride.

I think people are kind of missing the point, I highly doubt the trains are operating for the benefit of Bronx riders, its so LEXINGTON AVE riders don't find crush loaded SRO trains. I am sure if they could they would allow for trains to originate at 125th, since trains are coming out of Mosholu Yard, that pretty much eliminates the chance for 125th st origination, its hard to run dead head runs during the height of Rush Hour, especially for high frequency lines like the (4) it would lead to the NIS trains sitting behind revenue trains, so since the express track is being used to get the emptier trains to Manhattan why not have them run in service. With the right scheduling doing such a thing could also benefit riders south of Burnside Ave, if a (4)<4> arrive simultaneously at Burnside, many Manhattan bound riders will of course run across the platform for the emptier express which will kind of even out the load on both trains, and make both the (4) and <4> less crowded by the time they reach Manhattan.

I think people are kind of missing the point, I highly doubt the trains are operating for the benefit of Bronx riders, its so LEXINGTON AVE riders don't find crush loaded SRO trains. I am sure if they could they would allow for trains to originate at 125th, since trains are coming out of Mosholu Yard, that pretty much eliminates the chance for 125th st origination, its hard to run dead head runs during the height of Rush Hour, especially for high frequency lines like the (4) it would lead to the NIS trains sitting behind revenue trains, so since the express track is being used to get the emptier trains to Manhattan why not have them run in service. With the right scheduling doing such a thing could also benefit riders south of Burnside Ave, if a (4)<4> arrive simultaneously at Burnside, many Manhattan bound riders will of course run across the platform for the emptier express which will kind of even out the load on both trains, and make both the (4) and <4> less crowded by the time they reach Manhattan.

Exactly. Thank you.

Well I was at 161 on river ave and caught the big G/O signage regarding the <4> Jerome Express..

icsc94.jpg

Large Size via here:

(Readable)

http://i44.tinypic.com/15rin7t.jpg

Hopefully this does work. But I dunno how will this play a role when trains enter Mott heavn-138th and Mott-149th. Seeing that the (5) crossess to the Jerome line after the WPR Line, which might cause some delays in the future..

I'm not eliminating the other factors here, and I understand that when my train arrived at 125th St, there were plenty of seats for one <6> train that arrived at the same time. I'm just saying it looked like they took trains that normally ran local and put them as express trains, causing those local trains to be super-crowded at 12-15 minute headways (I am going to hope that is not the norm if this keeps on going). That is what it looked like to me yesterday, and I'm saying if they can keep these express trains, but still provide adequate service to the local stations, which didn't seem to happen, then maybe this can work. But if to allow 4 trains to be empty once it reaches Manhattan means you have to cut local service, then I'm not for it. What I'm saying is that these 4 <4> trains should be extras, not trains taken from the (4). Now, regarding the "faster trip" mentioned in the interviews, I again hope that they don't experience the 8-minute total wait that I did yesterday, which completely defeated that purpose. I understand that the primary purpose, to give 125th St seats, was realized, but it looked like it came at the cost of the local riders' service.

It's amazing seeing all of these opinions from yesterday. It was just the first day. There are going to be glitches in the beginning. I can see where this can be a great help for riders in Manhattan who can't board the (4) because it's crushed like a sardine once it gets to 149th St-Grand Concourse, let alone 125th St or 86th St. As time goes on, if they can keep the same kind of service on the local (4) as it was last week with these special express (4)'s, then we may be on to something here. Lets give this experiment a shot and see where it takes us and all the riders who have to depend on it.

Because the new (4) Bronx Express skips the busier stops, people can always transfer at Burnside Avenue.

This thought popped up from this post. Burnside Ave may become very busy with this plan. Yes, the express skips the major stops, but if the train is packed by the time it hits Burnside, which I've seen happen MANY times on the (4), people may transfer to the express just so that they could get a seat, kinda like 135th St for people on the (2) who transfer to the (3) just so they can sit down. Even if the <4> is not at the station, they would transfer. I could be wrong but I could see that happening with the <4>.

How does this idea sound?

1) <4> train stops at Woodlawn, Mosholu, and Bedford Pk Blvd on the local track.

2) It then uses the switches between BPB and Kingsbridge to go onto the express track. The Bedford Pk Blvd station is rebuilt into a double-island configuration to allow the <4> train to stop.

3) Fordham Rd is converted to double-island configuration as well.

4) From there, the <4> continues along the center track as the MTA already is doing.

5) Establish this service in the same manner with 8-10 minute headways from 6:30 AM to 9:00 AM headed south and then in reverse from 3:30 to 7:30 PM.

6) During these hours, run the (4) in peak direction ONLY to/from BPB, much the way the (6) runs only to/from Parkchester peak direction when the <6> is running. Use the switches between BPB and Kingsbridge to switch local trains onto and off of the BPB middle track much the way the (;) does when the (D) is running express in the Bronx.

7)Set the priority for the southbound switches between 125 St and 149 St-Concourse like this during rush: The (5)<5> lines trump the (4) at the merge point north of 138 St but the <4> trumps both of these where the center track merges with the downtown express track south of 138 St.

8)Set the headways on both the (4) and the <4> at 8-10 minutes in peak direction, offset so that the headways become 4-5 minutes where (4) and <4> trains share trackage. Send the extra <4> trains local in non-peak direction along the full route to maintain strong headways.

beacause 149 street is my home station i dont really have a problem with the <4> express idea HaHa..But i feel bad for the people who's station gets skipped..Are the headaways for the (4) local going to be the same

If they decide to keep the <4>, then no, because the (4) doesn't have enough trains to keep the (4)'s headways 4-6 minutes AND add service to the <4>. The (4)'s headways would likely be reduced to match the <4>'s service. All of this is speculation, what I would think would most likely happen.

beacause 149 street is my home station i dont really have a problem with the <4> express idea HaHa..But i feel bad for the people who's station gets skipped..Are the headaways for the (4) local going to be the same

Yes. This express runs every 15 minutes anyway.

Wow i never thought i would be able to pick if i wanted Local or Express Downtown Service On the 4 Train Wait doesn't the (4) Local Already skip 138 Street During AM Rush hours..Is The Express and Local Trains Going to Skip This Station Also

More people would depend on the (4), so why would they make the <4> equal to the (4)? I see the <4> as a luxury item, not something to be used that much.

I don't know. That's why I'm speculating. I don't honestly think they'd run the <4> at less headways than the (4), although that is what I'd like. I think they'd make it like the (6)/<6>: Run them at equal headways (for the 4, it'd probably be 8-10 minutes each). If they still ran the (4) at 4-6 minute headways, and the <4> at lesser headways so not to take too many trains from the (4), then I'm for it. And, yes, more people depend on the (4), but from my experience on Monday (and it might've changed today), they took trains from the (4) and put them on the <4> with nothing to compensate. So I'm basing my theory off of that, but of course, anything is theoretically possible.

The problem is that trains weren't added as <4>, they simply converted 4 local (4)s into <4> which constitutes a loss of service for people at bypassed stations. The ridership at Woodlawn and Mosholu a lot less than that of KB, BPB and Fordham. It's not a thing of people feeling bad as the express flies by, you have more people being hindered than people being helped. IF this becomes an official service pattern, people on the local will get slowed even further by expresses crossing in front. You can't screw Bx riders to make things better for people in Manhattan.

As for the (6)<6> service, it works out just fine because the express makes ALL stops to Parkchester then runs express and local starts at Parkchester. You don't see the <6> stopping only at Pelham Bay and Buhre Av, then running express to Parkchester, Hunts Pt and 3 Av with the local picking up all the byspassed people.

I'm curious to know have any of the people commenting about this taken the (4) Manhattan AM rush on the daily basis from a northern station?

On some of the AM trips local riders between BPB and 183 are starting to transfer at Burnside to board the less crowded <4>. but I agree w/ most everyone's opinions that the <4> should go local to Burnside then express.

Maybe by having the (4) terminate at Bedford and the <4> continue to Woodlawn (should this program be expanded) they can free up a trainset or two in exchange for a reasonable headway at the local stops

Archived