Preserved Redbirds List

Harry

I found this short list of preserved Redbirds. I would like to find out the car numbers for these Redbirds. I also would like to know how accurate this list is. Maybe we can all chip in to get the car numbers. If anyone knows any of them please post them here.

R26: 2 pairs

R28: 1 pair - 7926, 7927

R29: 6 cars

R33ML: 58 cars, active roster, "Reserve" fleet

R33WF: 39 cars - 9306, 9327

R36ML: 1 pairs

R36WF: 2 trainsets (c. +/- 20 cars) 9542, 9543

• 2 years later...

Here are the redbird numbers that are sometimes part of the TOMC (otherwise they are @ Court St. in Brooklyn when the old IRT cars are out):

9010-9011 (Blue-White),

9016-9017 (Red-Red),

9206-9207 (Blue-White),

9068-9069 (Green-Red)

None of the cars named here that I haven't listed on my "preserved cars" list are definitely 100% slated for preservation, so what you've listed are cars that are still on property. However in the interests of making that list accurate I'll add along the following KNOWN cars that are still on property. Each of these I've seen myself in person and know for a fact they're not scrapped. So I'll give you 14 more cars:

R36WF - 9582-87 (6 cars)

R36 - 9400-01 (2 cars)

R26 - 7774-75 (2 cars)

R28 - 7924-7925 (2 cars) NOTE: 7926-7927 are the preserved "redbirds" at Illinois Railway Museum (IRM) - they are not on TA property. That's probably why this is saying "1 pair" when there are two, but only one (7924-5) on TA property.

R29 - 8678-8679 (2 cars)

Many of the remaining cars are in work service. I don't have the numbers though. I've seen a few but haven't jotted them down yet, particularly at Westchester.

None of the cars named here that I haven't listed on my "preserved cars" list are definitely 100% slated for preservation, so what you've listed are cars that are still on property. However in the interests of making that list accurate I'll add along the following KNOWN cars that are still on property. Each of these I've seen myself in person and know for a fact they're not scrapped. So I'll give you 14 more cars:

R36WF - 9582-87 (6 cars)

R36 - 9400-01 (2 cars)

R26 - 7774-75 (2 cars)

R28 - 7924-7925 (2 cars) NOTE: 7926-7927 are the preserved "redbirds" at Illinois Railway Museum (IRM) - they are not on TA property. That's probably why this is saying "1 pair" when there are two, but only one (7924-5) on TA property.

R29 - 8678-8679 (2 cars)

Many of the remaining cars are in work service. I don't have the numbers though. I've seen a few but haven't jotted them down yet, particularly at Westchester.

I Just want to Know when, Because they are just sitting there, The Hell with it, I wouldn't mind if they needed someone to fix them up, I would be there with open arms, I have plenty of free time.

I Just want to Know when, Because they are just sitting there, The Hell with it, I wouldn't mind if they needed someone to fix them up, I would be there with open arms, I have plenty of free time.

But would you know how to fix a subway car? Also, it would cost alot of money and you wont get any from the TA.

INDman is right about that. It will be costly, but it can be done. I however doubt the R16s will be ready for next year for the 55th anniversary of the first subway train to the Rockaways. Maybe the 60th anniversary. By then R10 #3184 and #3189 will most likely be operating hopefully and will eventually be hooked up to the three R16s unless we find more of those cars lying around else where. Kind of like what happened to R6 983.

By the way is it true that some R10s and R16s ran in mixed consists back in the mid to late 1950s on the (A)? If this is true then the R10's door engines may have been an issue since they were pneumatic while all cars after the R10 all had electric door engines, which is why R12s and R14s ran well in mixed consists. Well I don't know if they ran 100% well in mixed consists, but it was common for almost all 2860 of the IRT carbon steel SMEE cars to be mixed with each other, but everyone knows that.

As far as I know, there are no plans to restore the R16s that are at CIY at this time. As for R10s running with other SMEE cars, it can be done but I don't know if or how that would effect door operation.

But would you know how to fix a subway car? Also, it would cost alot of money and you wont get any from the TA.

I Know, But they should fix those cars up, they are apart of history too. But I know they really don't have the time.

I would be happy to hear that the R10's would run, It would be nice seeing those cars run.

Right but there's a difference between sitting at a computer screen smacking keys on keyboard and saying that everyone "should do" this or "should do" that, and saying which cars "should" be fixed up next and actually doing something yourself whether it's contributing money so that others can actually do the work, or time if you should actually have the skills and know what's involved in car restoration.

I Know, But they should fix those cars up, they are apart of history too. But I know they really don't have the time.

I would be happy to hear that the R10's would run, It would be nice seeing those cars run.

If they did fix any, they should only fix one. 1 redbird is the same as the next, those trains have no personality like the older Pre-War equipment.

That was one of those rare moments. R10s weren't mixed all the time and it was due to the door engines. I actually kind of find that strange

That is true. They could have always added the cars together in the yard to see how the doors would operate. Not sure now if that's possible because after G.O.H. the electric portions on the R42's might be.

Archived