Question regarding wheelchairs and crowded buses

FamousNYLover

I was wondering what kind of rule bus operators follows when buses are overcrowded if they encounter wheelchair passengers?

Today, on M4 Bus, which was already crowded, bus operator pickup wheelchair passenger.

I was wondering if buses are crowded, do bus operator must accept wheelchair if lift and ramps are working?

Is this apply to other states?

There is always space, the seats that lift up are priority seating area for people with disabilities and in wheelchairs. The bus driver just has anyone seating there and presto! there is now room for them.

The rule is Wheelchairs have priority. Customers must make room for them. IF they don’t want to move contact bus command. A superintendent said while I was in training that they will put the bus out of service and just take the wheel chair customers

The rule is Wheelchairs have priority. Customers must make room for them. IF they don’t want to move contact bus command. A superintendent said while I was in training that they will put the bus out of service and just take the wheel chair customers

Thats nice to hear.

That is what I was told also, when I did that job. There is always room for a wheelchair, and customers must get off, to let the wheelchair board if the bus is packed like a sardine can. Easier said than done though, and putting a bus out of service to take one is something that they shouldn't do. They forget the operator might see those pissed off customers again and again, while the super who shows up to put it out of service (if they show up), won't see them again...

While I understand that W/C passengers are priority, if the bus in question is already late to the point there is another one immediately behind it, wouldn't it be better for the operator to inform the passenger so not to add to his lateness while still ensuring the passenger is still taken care of?

what are talking. I think you would prefer to see high floor bus

be put into service in manhattan and incrased to service.

Orion7 in manhattan can not too hold too many people

and tourist. while some bus route are the busiest for some route

and they would not like to see lowfleet bus not be put into service

while it can not hold too many people. while high floor bus could hold too

many people. ( low fleet bus are consider as yellow cab?

that can hold 12 people. :confused: :o:D

(5) Pelham Bay Park

(5) Next Stop is

(5) 3rd avenue 138 street

what are talking. I think you would prefer to see high floor bus

be put into service in manhattan and incrased to service.

Orion7 in manhattan can not too hold too many people

and tourist. while some bus route are the busiest for some route

and they would not like to see lowfleet bus not be put into service

while it can not hold too many people. while high floor bus could hold too

many people. ( low fleet bus are consider as yellow cab?

that can hold 12 people. :confused: B)B)

What are you talking about? This makes no sense at all.

While I understand that W/C passengers are priority, if the bus in question is already late to the point there is another one immediately behind it, wouldn't it be better for the operator to inform the passenger so not to add to his lateness while still ensuring the passenger is still taken care of?

W/C is the most important thing on our mind so if the people outside wanna take the other bus they could but the B/O will not transfer those people to the other bus just because he's loading (A)W/C it is safety issue as well those people could get into something with the incomming bus saying they paid in the other bus now that B/O has problems.Service will always stay close to schedule so let em wait.

No, Wheel chairs customers are required to pay the fare of a Dollar. Sometimes they will hand me their Metrocard and i walk to the farebox and swipe them. I also have business reply envelope which i carry on me. I tell them to send the fare to the MTA. What they do with the envelope is on them. 99% dont pay. Wheel chair's attendent with proper ID may ride for free

I don't care if passengers stand on each others shoulders. I will accomodate a wheelchair passenger without regard to the inconvenience of other passengers who can stand on their own two feet. The policy is: If a person with a wheelchair or, walker needs to board, the operator will make room at the designated wheelchair seating area in the bus and secure that passenger. The operator will ask what the destination is and if the stop is obstructed, curb the bus at the most safe spot nearest the bus stop.

Any passenger who is physically challenged has priority over anyone else. The operators should encourage any idiot who has a problem with the policy to write a complaint. Afterall, The Superindents should get to have a laugh once in a while when reading a complaint from a moron who has no life or intellect. The person with the wheelchair could be their relative or friend. Passengers should thank whoever they bow to or believe in that they are not wheelchair bound or mobility challenged.

Sorry for the long rant but I get very angry at people who tell me that boarding, securing and discharging a wheelchair passenger takes too much time and they will be late for their destination!!!!!!!(MTA)

Archived