Second Avenue Subway

Maserati7200

When phase 1 of the second avenue subway is completed, the (Q) would be extended to 125th street/2nd Avenue, hence they will no longer be terminating at 57th/7th. Now, the only reason the (N), which is a Broadway Express line, stops at 49th street is because the (Q) terminates at 57th/7th so the (N) cannot realistically on the express track. So, when the (Q) gets extended, would the (N) skip 49th street? It can switch over to the 60th street line right after so I don't see why not. What do you guys think? Another good thing about the (Q)'s extension would be that we can finally have full speed express runs between 42nd and 57th streets. Now (Q) trains go about a maximum of 30 between 42nd street and 57th street.

And another question, would the 2nd avenue subway, or any new line built by the MTA in the future be an 'IND' line, or an MTA line? The IND doesn't exist anymore but then again this line is being built by the city. Would the SAS be listed under the IND lines, or maybe a new section called the 'NYCT' or 'MTA'

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/detail-47-63.png

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(N)

When phase 1 of the second avenue subway is completed, the (Q) would be extended to 125th street/2nd Avenue, hence they will no longer be terminating at 57th/7th. Now, the only reason the (N), which is a Broadway Express line, stops at 49th street is because the (Q) terminates at 57th/7th so the (N) cannot realistically on the express track. So, when the (Q) gets extended, would the (N) skip 49th street? It can switch over to the 60th street line right after so I don't see why not. What do you guys think? Another good thing about the (Q)'s extension would be that we can finally have full speed express runs between 42nd and 57th streets. Now (Q) trains go about a maximum of 30 between 42nd street and 57th street.

And another question, would the 2nd avenue subway, or any new line built by the MTA in the future be an 'IND' line, or an MTA line? The IND doesn't exist anymore but then again this line is being built by the city. Would the SAS be listed under the IND lines, or maybe a new section called the 'NYCT' or 'MTA'

sounds like a good idea, but only one flaw: if the (W) ever gets cut, then the (N) will be permanently local in manhattan. so the idea of (N) skipping 49th st. is pretty dead already.

Well, depends how you look at it. It's technically supposed to be called a Division B line. But, if you want to use the pre-unification names:

The (Q) is a BMT line (no duh). IMHO the (T) would be IND.

As far as Control Center, Second Ave. is B2 (which is the original IND). The radio channel already changes over after the station, in accessing the 63rd St. line.

As for 49th, that could also have been because of high customer demand. Like the newer 47th/50th was made an express stop when built. It would be nicer if it just ran through to 57th on the express.

Wow slow down buddy.

Phase 1 is from 63rd St. Connector to 96th Street. The (Q) will be extended to 125th St after Phase 2. It's supposely IND.

I'm curiosu to know if they are going to make any other track connections to the system. IE at Grand St.

I can assume the shell at Houston St is gonig to be used, but how are they going to route around the B/D stop at Grand St? It would amke sense for them to go with the original plan from decades ago... but this is the MTA.

I'm curiosu to know if they are going to make any other track connections to the system. IE at Grand St.

I can assume the shell at Houston St is gonig to be used, but how are they going to route around the B/D stop at Grand St? It would amke sense for them to go with the original plan from decades ago... but this is the MTA.

Houston St? On the (F)(V)? I heard they're gonna leave the shell and build a new station under it...

IIRC, there was no planned track connection to the Bridge tracks at Grand Street. They are still working on planning Phase 4. They have 3 options at Grand: Shallow Chrystie, Deep Chrystie and Forsyth (I mentioned them already). It does give flexibility for the SAS line, but there will be a Brooklyn line on the SAS.

There will be a track connection to the 63rd Street Tunnel to Queens

IND, since it was planned under the IND Second System.

Now my question is... for the T, which yard will it be based off of?

Coney Island?

I think the T line will be based off of Jamaica yard because after leaving 55 St. station the tracks is supposed to have another set of track to use for non revenue service to connect to the F line probably to gain access to the yard i think.

^^Correct, there gonna be a connection that would allow trains heading uptown on 2nd ave to head to Queens at 63rd St. AFAIK it's not gonna be for regular revenue service (although it would sure be nice).

IIRC, there was no planned track connection to the Bridge tracks at Grand Street. They are still working on planning Phase 4. They have 3 options at Grand: Shallow Chrystie, Deep Chrystie and Forsyth (I mentioned them already). It does give flexibility for the SAS line, but there will be a Brooklyn line on the SAS.

There will be a track connection to the 63rd Street Tunnel to Queens

With all the damn problems the subway has when we have those Monsoon rainstorms, I would try and make it so that there are as many detours available as possible.

But who knows what the MTA will follow through with.

I think the T line will be based off of Jamaica yard because after leaving 55 St. station the tracks is supposed to have another set of track to use for non revenue service to connect to the F line probably to gain access to the yard i think.

Given the preliminary track diagrams from the FEIS, it seems to me that the Q will still be CI based and that the T will be Jamaica Yd based. Additionally, trains will be stored at many places, not excluding:

-A pair of tracks that continue under 2nd Ave from 116th Street, these tracks will not go to 125th Street, but will be a provision for a Bronx Extension. These will be for lay-ups

-A few tracks south of Hanover Square that will harbour trains, trains could be ferried to 39th Street in Brooklyn for lay-ups.

The FEIS also shows diagrams of 207th Street and Concourse Yd, there may be a possibility for the SAS to use those yards for storage, however I am not sure if that will happen, given the alignment of the route.

^^Correct, there gonna be a connection that would allow trains heading uptown on 2nd ave to head to Queens at 63rd St. AFAIK it's not gonna be for regular revenue service (although it would sure be nice).

With all the damn problems the subway has when we have those Monsoon rainstorms, I would try and make it so that there are as many detours available as possible.

But who knows what the MTA will follow through with.

It will probably be a provision for some future Queens service, IMO. Those two tracks they are planning in Phase 2 that hook up to 116th Street will be a provision for Bronx Service, so I won't be surprised at all, if that is going to happen. In fact, after leaving 63rd/Lex on a Queens bound F, you can see on the right, some sort of bellmouth that connects to the F tunnel.

IMO, they should have some cross-over track. But bare in mind, only the shallow Chrystie option can provide such a connection.

Line running fron Halem-125 with connection to the (4)(5)(6) to Hanover Square in the Financial District. Connection with IND 63rd Street line towards Queens(Non-Revenue) and towards BMT 63rd Street line ((Q) extenstion). The station at Grand Street will be below the present (B)(D) Station. The Houston Street shell will NOT be used nor will the tunnel shell between Pell and Canal Streets. The new Houston street station will be built BELOW the present one.

TRANSFERS

Transfer at 125th Street to the (4)(5)(6)

Transfer at 72nd Street to the (Q)

Transfer at 55th Street to the (4)(6)(E)(V)

Transfer at 42nd Street to the (4)(5)(6)(7)<7>(S) and Metro-North

Transfer at 14th Street to the (L) at 3rd Avenue Station

Transfer at Houston Street to the (F)(V). New station on lower level

Transfer at Grand Street to the (B)(D). New lower level.

Line running fron Halem-125 with connection to the (4)(5)(6) to Hanover Square in the Financial District. Connection with IND 63rd Street line towards Queens(Non-Revenue) and towards BMT 63rd Street line ((Q) extenstion). The station at Grand Street will be below the present (:)(D) Station. The Houston Street shell will NOT be used nor will the tunnel shell between Pell and Canal Streets. The new Houston street station will be built BELOW the present one.

TRANSFERS

Transfer at 125th Street to the (4)(5)(6)

Transfer at 72nd Street to the (Q)

Transfer at 55th Street to the (4)(6)

Transfer at 42nd Street to the (4)(5)(6)(7)<7>(S) and Metro-North

Transfer at 14th Street to the (L) at 3rd Avenue Station

Transfer at Houston Street to the (F)(V). New station on lower level

Transfer at Grand Street to the (B)(D). New lower level.

That's from the FEIS?

I wonder why they arent building a station at 57th st and 50th st. I could kinda understand 57th being difficult since that intersection is busy and would cause a lot of problems since the stations are cut and cover.

If they build a station at 50th st they coudl then built a corridor to Lex and 53rd to connect with the E/V and 6.

I think they should use whats already available as far as tunnels go. I can understand the the ones in chinatown, but at Houston? I would think it would be harder to build under. Perhaps breaking into the current shell would case structural problems. Eh...

I wonder why they arent building a station at 57th st and 50th st. I could kinda understand 57th being difficult since that intersection is busy and would cause a lot of problems since the stations are cut and cover.

If they build a station at 50th st they coudl then built a corridor to Lex and 53rd to connect with the E/V and 6.

I think they should use whats already available as far as tunnels go. I can understand the the ones in chinatown, but at Houston? I would think it would be harder to build under. Perhaps breaking into the current shell would case structural problems. Eh...

There is all ready too much stuff in that area in midtown. SAS is not going to 100% parallel the lex with stops, that would be way too redundant. It will have stations where the lex doesnt etc. It's all based on patterns. If they are wrong a station can be put there in the future. No biggie, it's years away anyhow no use stressing over it. Come back in 3 years.

- A

Archived