SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

I don't think this has been mentioned before, but maybe the S40 could be extended to the Sunrise Mall (via Montauk) while the N19 is cut back to Sunrise. The portion east of Sunrise is the weakest portion of the route, so maybe it would get better ridership if the S40 covered it. There might be more demand headed out east compared to out west.

Or instead of going to Sunrise, the S40 could go up Broadway and terminate at the Amityville LIRR station, providing a connection to the S1 (also, the S20 already covers Babylon-Sunrise).

How about NO!!! If you have to extend a bus to cover that part your better off leaving the N19 alone. N19 doesn't need to be touched PERIOD. It helps out SCT you have no clue how big SCT's service area really is. Let's leave N19 alone shall we S40 is long enough.

What routes are empty during the PM Rush, I've heard that there are afew routes that are packed during the PM. One now being the S60 since the county and SUNY Stony Brook made a deal where SUNY Stony Brook pays the fares for their students up font so they don't have to pay while boarding as long as they travel either from the campus to the mall and back or from the campus to Port Jeff and back. The deal also covers the 3D from the Campus to the mall. The deal DOES NOT cover the S71.

I doubt it, unless it travels one way going to the mall and the other way towards Sayville. Though I doubt you will ever see those two routes combined.

You are right I have used S60. I was talking about the S58. And a few others I don't remember. interesting deal I think they need to do more such deals like that. Imagine MTA not having to expand parking instead just pay SCT to shuttle riders to the LIRR but in a perfect world that will be the case.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't feel like quoting b/c I'm about to get up outta here, but:

- If it came down to [combining the S20 & the S40] (like the consensus over the years have suggested) and [extending the 40 to cover most of the N19 along montauk hwy (and then on up to Amityville)], I would choose the latter.....

Really don't have to have the S40 cover all of the N19's portion to sunrise IMO.....

You need sunrise out of babylon, take the S20.... Turnover at sunrise is rather high (this includes ppl coming off N19's xferring to either of the SCT's (20 or 33)..... Personally, I see truncating the N19 & extending S40's to LIRR Amityville via montauk hwy as a win-win.... Out of Babylon, I find that Nassau riders seek service up along Hempstead tpke. over Merrick Rd..... I don't think it's that preposterous to think that you could get more riders seeking to take S40's along Montauk hwy over current N19 service....

In short:

s40 runs along montauk hwy (after remaining to serve LIRR Babylon) & shoots up broadway & across oak to LIRR Amityville

s20 is left alone b/w LIRR Babylon & Sunrise mall

N19 runs b/w LIRR Freeport & Sunrise mall

- Don't see how you could combine the S57 & 59 south of LIRR Ronkonkoma....

Edited by B35 via Church

How about NO!!! If you have to extend a bus to cover that part your better off leaving the N19 alone. N19 doesn't need to be touched PERIOD. It helps out SCT you have no clue how big SCT's service area really is. Let's leave N19 alone shall we S40 is long enough.

Where's the damn facepalm when you need it?

Yeah, you're one to talk about "leaving routes alone", right? :rolleyes: How about you STFU?

Uh, yeah, I know how big SCT's service area is. It covers the whole damn county. What's your point? In fact, that part of Montauk Highway is within Suffolk County, so from a jurisdictional point of view, it actually should be covered by SCT. And since you want to talk about how SCT is struggling to cover this area and needs help or whatever, need I remind you how limited NICE's budget is?

And for your information, the N19's current runtime is actually slightly longer than the S40's runtime, so you can cut the crap about "the S40 is long enough as is". An extension to Amityville or Sunrise would result in a runtime of roughly 80-90 minutes, a little on the long side, but definitely not out of the ordinary. The S60's runtime is about 80 minutes, the S58's runtime is about 110 minutes, the S62's runtime is about 80 minutes, the S66's runtime is about 80 minutes, the S1's runtime is about 70 minutes, and so on.

From what everybody has said, N19 ridership is stronger west of Sunrise than east of it. When we've discussed NICE coming in and taking over, and what cuts they should make, a lot of people suggested cutting the N19 east of Sunrise.

B35 just mentioned that a lot of people are transferring to the S20. The S20 serves the same general area as the N19 in Suffolk, so even with the direct ride to Babylon, Lindenhurst, & Copiague, apparently they prefer the S20 over taking the N19 directly. Apparently most of the westbound riders are already on the S20, so maybe a direct ride eastbound would be more beneficial, to places like Bay Shore & Patchogue.

Where's the damn facepalm when you need it?

Yeah, you're one to talk about "leaving routes alone", right? :rolleyes: How about you STFU?

Uh, yeah, I know how big SCT's service area is. It covers the whole damn county. What's your point? In fact, that part of Montauk Highway is within Suffolk County, so from a jurisdictional point of view, it actually should be covered by SCT. And since you want to talk about how SCT is struggling to cover this area and needs help or whatever, need I remind you how limited NICE's budget is?

And for your information, the N19's current runtime is actually slightly longer than the S40's runtime, so you can cut the crap about "the S40 is long enough as is". An extension to Amityville or Sunrise would result in a runtime of roughly 80-90 minutes, a little on the long side, but definitely not out of the ordinary. The S60's runtime is about 80 minutes, the S58's runtime is about 110 minutes, the S62's runtime is about 80 minutes, the S66's runtime is about 80 minutes, the S1's runtime is about 70 minutes, and so on.

From what everybody has said, N19 ridership is stronger west of Sunrise than east of it. When we've discussed NICE coming in and taking over, and what cuts they should make, a lot of people suggested cutting the N19 east of Sunrise.

B35 just mentioned that a lot of people are transferring to the S20. The S20 serves the same general area as the N19 in Suffolk, so even with the direct ride to Babylon, Lindenhurst, & Copiague, apparently they prefer the S20 over taking the N19 directly. Apparently most of the westbound riders are already on the S20, so maybe a direct ride eastbound would be more beneficial, to places like Bay Shore & Patchogue.

You forget S20 duplicated LIRR while montauk hwy doesn't. But I'd prefer S40 to cover sunrise mall via extension as it runs longer hours than the N19.

Don't feel like quoting b/c I'm about to get up outta here, but:

- If it came down to [combining the S20 & the S40] (like the consensus over the years have suggested) and [extending the 40 to cover most of the N19 along montauk hwy (and then on up to Amityville)], I would choose the latter.....

Really don't have to have the S40 cover all of the N19's portion to sunrise IMO.....

You need sunrise out of babylon, take the S20.... Turnover at sunrise is rather high (this includes ppl coming off N19's xferring to either of the SCT's (20 or 33)..... Personally, I see truncating the N19 & extending S40's to LIRR Amityville via montauk hwy as a win-win.... Out of Babylon, I find that Nassau riders seek service up along Hempstead tpke. over Merrick Rd..... I don't think it's that preposterous to think that you could get more riders seeking to take S40's along Montauk hwy over current N19 service....

In short:

s40 runs along montauk hwy (after remaining to serve LIRR Babylon) & shoots up broadway & across oak to LIRR Amityville

s20 is left alone b/w LIRR Babylon & Sunrise mall

N19 runs b/w LIRR Freeport & Sunrise mall

- Don't see how you could combine the S57 & 59 south of LIRR Ronkonkoma....

Better move reroute N19 to amityville LIRR then extend S40 DONE.

You forget S20 duplicated LIRR while montauk hwy doesn't. But I'd prefer S40 to cover sunrise mall via extension as it runs longer hours than the N19.

Which only further proves my point, because the S20 sees greater ridership than the N19 in that area, despite the fact that it runs closer to the LIRR.

But in any case, the LIRR only goes up to Babylon, and requires a transfer (to another train) to reach points further east, which is another reason why an S40 extension would be beneficial. It provides a one-seat ride.

And this is why you shouldn't have come at me with that attitude. See, it turned out to be a good idea, didn't it?

It's clear that QJT is missing the point... Connecting nassau riders to amityville from sunrise isn't the problem (there's already the N54 for that, and that itself amongst riders is seldom done)..... The point is the N19 does little for actual Nassau riders east of sunrise & the route sees little intra-suffolk ridership (including to Babylon itself)..... This is why you have as many people believing that the N19 should be cut back to sunrise....

Checkmate laid it out when he said:

"....so maybe a direct ride eastbound would be more beneficial, to places like Bay Shore & Patchogue."

I believe it would be; especially given how erratic N19's arrive (this was the case even back when the MTA ran LIB)...... of course no one's gonna suggest a N19 extension eastward.... So the point of a westward S40 extension is to bring Suffolk patrons b/w amityville & babylon to areas east of babylon..... In short, truncating the N19 & extending the 40 is a win-win AFAIC.....

Whichever of the two suggestions is better [sending the S40 along montauk hwy on up to LIRR amityville or sunrise mall] or [combining the S20 & S40] is for another/better discussion.....

....and Lol..... this is the suburbs we're talking about here - I don't wanna hear the counter-argument of route length when you have SCT routes that rack up mileage to keep riders on one bus, serving points of interest as best as they can, while considering limited resources.... Outside of long waiting times for the buses themselves, prolonged commuting time is one of the main problems I hear from people while using SCT.... Some routes are just indirect without much rhyme or reason to it..... I direct you to the S45 & the 3c for a perfect example of that..... Not saying that everything should run on a grid, but some routes meander where they really don't have to....

But back to the recent s40 suggestion..... Another 5 miles (guesstimate) won't kill the S40..... Like I told Checkmate, you don't even have to send the 40 to sunrise to accomplish the drawing of more riders along montauk hwy down there into taking the bus - which was the premise of the idea...

Better move reroute N19 to amityville LIRR then extend S40 DONE.

No it isn't a better move & "DONE"... It's not solely about the connection to LIRR Amityville itself....

Having N19's connect to amityville is much ado about nothing; you're not solving anything by doing that.... The route is basically shunned east of sunrise & you want to make it even more useless? You need to get off this notion of the N19 so-called "helping" out SCT..... Who's taking N19's w/i Suffolk County dude? I have been on more than my fair share of N19's where I was the only person on the bus within suffolk - which simply should not be..... The fact of the matter is that Nassau patrons need service along montauk hwy to LIRR babylon much less than Suffolk patrons need service along montauk hwy to areas east of babylon..... That much is clearly shown in current ridershp patterns, and has been for years.....

Edited by B35 via Church

It's clear that QJT is missing the point... Connecting nassau riders to amityville from sunrise isn't the problem (there's already the N54 for that, and that itself amongst riders is seldom done)..... The point is the N19 does little for actual Nassau riders east of sunrise & the route sees little intra-suffolk ridership (including to Babylon itself)..... This is why you have as many people believing that the N19 should be cut back to sunrise....

Checkmate laid it out when he said:

"....so maybe a direct ride eastbound would be more beneficial, to places like Bay Shore & Patchogue."

yeah which is why S40 is a good idea.

I believe it would be; especially given how erratic N19's arrive (this was the case even back when the MTA ran LIB)...... of course no one's gonna suggest a N19 extension eastward.... So the point of a westward S40 extension is to bring Suffolk patrons b/w amityville & babylon to areas east of babylon..... In short, truncating the N19 & extending the 40 is a win-win AFAIC.....

Whichever of the two suggestions is better [sending the S40 along montauk hwy on up to LIRR amityville or sunrise mall] or [combining the S20 & S40] is for another/better discussion.....

....and Lol..... this is the suburbs we're talking about here - I don't wanna hear the counter-argument of route length when you have SCT routes that rack up mileage to keep riders on one bus, serving points of interest as best as they can, while considering limited resources.... Outside of long waiting times for the buses themselves, prolonged commuting time is one of the main problems I hear from people while using SCT.... Some routes are just indirect without much rhyme or reason to it..... I direct you to the S45 & the 3c for a perfect example of that..... Not saying that everything should run on a grid, but some routes meander where they really don't have to....

But back to the recent s40 suggestion..... Another 5 miles (guesstimate) won't kill the S40..... Like I told Checkmate, you don't even have to send the 40 to sunrise to accomplish the drawing of more riders along montauk hwy down there into taking the bus - which was the premise of the idea...

No it isn't a better move & "DONE"... It's not solely about the connection to LIRR Amityville itself....

Having N19's connect to amityville is much ado about nothing; you're not solving anything by doing that.... The route is basically shunned east of sunrise & you want to make it even more useless? You need to get off this notion of the N19 so-called "helping" out SCT..... Who's taking N19's w/i Suffolk County dude? I have been on more than my fair share of N19's where I was the only person on the bus within suffolk - which simply should not be..... The fact of the matter is that Nassau patrons need service along montauk hwy to LIRR babylon much less than Suffolk patrons need service along montauk hwy to areas east of babylon..... That much is clearly shown in current ridershp patterns, and has been for years.....

It looks like I will have to come clean about some of my SCT ideas. One was a regional line that starts in port jefferson at rush hr at wading river to sunrise mall express it replaces a part of 6B to the community college then goes to sunvet mall for transfers to other lines I will mention later then express to bayshore mall then babylon replacing S20. Line is called S26 But it may be flawed a bit I am still perfecting the lines. How would YOU reshape S71? based on YOUR OPINION ONLY!!!

What becomes of N72 doesn't it interline with N19?

Edited by qjtransitmaster

It looks like I will have to come clean about some of my SCT ideas. One was a regional line that starts in port jefferson at rush hr at wading river to sunrise mall express it replaces a part of 6B to the community college then goes to sunvet mall for transfers to other lines I will mention later then express to bayshore mall then babylon replacing S20. Line is called S26 But it may be flawed a bit I am still perfecting the lines. How would YOU reshape S71? based on YOUR OPINION ONLY!!!

What becomes of N72 doesn't it interline with N19?

What is all this?? Deliberately changing the subject huh.....

- I have no comment on whatever SCT idea you're talking about, because quite frankly I don't care enough to decipher whatever it is you're lazily conveying here....

- Nothing would change w/ the N72 regarding said discussion; it would remain at Babylon.....

Don't know if NICE has N72's interlining with N19's..... Under LIB, I've never heard of such a thing happening w/ those 2 routes; as they didn't run out of the same depot anyway on weekdays (72 was out of mitchel field, 19 was out of RVC).... Wouldn't even make sense for LIB then or NICE now to do that.....

- What does reshaping the N71 have to do with anything regarding Suffolk county? Reshape it for what....

To answer your little question, I wouldn't reshape the N71..... You wanna talk N71, go in the NICE ideas thread.....

I think the n72 should go to Babylon every day. The n19 can terminate at Amityville on Sundays.

You have a little more sense, so I'll direct this question at you....

Why would you run the N19 to Amityville on sunday for? To connect to what exactly..... Lol....

It is not by accident that NICE only has the n55 operating on sundays.....

Edited by B35 via Church

What is all this?? Deliberately changing the subject huh.....

- I have no comment on whatever SCT idea you're talking about, because quite frankly I don't care enough to decipher whatever it is you're lazily conveying here....

- Nothing would change w/ the N72 regarding said discussion; it would remain at Babylon.....

Don't know if NICE has N72's interlining with N19's..... Under LIB, I've never heard of such a thing happening w/ those 2 routes; as they didn't run out of the same depot anyway on weekdays (72 was out of mitchel field, 19 was out of RVC).... Wouldn't even make sense for LIB then or NICE now to do that.....

- What does reshaping the N71 have to do with anything regarding Suffolk county? Reshape it for what....

To answer your little question, I wouldn't "reshape" the N71.....

Why would you run the N19 to Amityville on sunday for? To connect to what exactly..... Lol....

It is not by accident that NICE only has the n55 operatiing on sundays.....

I said reshape SCT S71 NOT N71

It is not by accident that NICE only has the n55 operating on sundays.....

Well on that occasion then let it end at Sunrise

cause we are done on that.....

Why, because you disagree with it.....

Speak for yourself...

Well on that occasion then let it end at Sunrise

Exactly, and the 6 other days of the week too....

Of course, waiting in the cold for the S1 yesterday after coming off the LIRR, an N54 eventually pulled up...

It arrived carrying air & it left carrying air (which was what I expected).... smh....

Why, because you disagree with it.....

Speak for yourself...

Exactly, and the 6 other days of the week too....

Of course, waiting in the cold for the S1 yesterday after coming off the LIRR, an N54 eventually pulled up...

It arrived carrying air & it left carrying air (which was what I expected).... smh....

nope cause we already came to a solution. I understand it better actually now N54 I will admit marketing sucks actually.

As was brought up earlier on the last page (I've amended a couple things since then though):

* 3a/3b - left alone (don't remember if it was on here or another forum, but I don't agree w/ sending either of these to the county offices... let both these routes remain to serve its respective residential areas b/w south shore mall & motor pkwy/washington)

* 3d- left alone....

(having to ride this from end to end 5 days a week some yrs. back, there's nothing you can really do to this route)

* "3c"/"3e"- would result from a split of the current 3c (not that it matters much, but both branches would pass by LIRR great river.... on saturdays only, both routes would run up to the hauppauge shopping center)....

- the "3c" would run from south shore mall to hauppauge shopping ctr

(no central islip [CI] courts; would serve residential central islip (connetquot side only), would serve LIRR central islip from the lowell av side to run up hawthorne, would serve oval dr. on select trips, would run up wheeler from motor pkwy en route to the shopping ctr.)...

- the "3e" would run from bay shore (mechanicsville rd) to hauppauge county offices [N complex]

(via CI courts, via CI town ctr., via mcgann vill. on select trips, via LIRR central islip, via wheeler rd north of suffolk av, en route to hauppauge courts [NYS office bldg > dennison bldg > North complex bldg])...

----------------

* S42 - sent over to Ronkonkoma RR via vets mem. hwy.... this would pretty much eliminate the 3 bus commute that goes on out there (3c/54/57, or 45/54/57, or 42/54/57, or 3d/54/57)

(no more abrupt ending at LIRR Central islip; this route could use the usage & something should serve Ronkonkoma from the west... select trips would serve colony park apts.)

* S45 - would still run b/w Bay Shore (mechanicsville rd) & LIRR Smithtown....

However, I'd divert it off suffolk av, hawthorne av, and motor pkwy b/w hawthorne & willets path.... Too many people ride this solely b/w [south shore mall & brentwood RR area] and b/w [brentwood RR & the county offices]... current routing is wasted time & mileage IMO....

(north of LIRR brentwood, it would run up washington to motor pkwy w/ the S27, to make a right on motor pkwy until it hits willets path, and current routing up along willets path to go on to serve the county courts [northbound, via N. complex > dennison bldg > NYS office bldg]....

...Also, after serving the NYS office bldg, instead of backtracking to serve rabro dr & 111 (b/w rabro dr & vets hwy; the small portion the "3c" would go onto serving), buses would simply shoot across vets mem. hwy & up 111 (wheeler), en route to LIRR Smithtown).....

Folks along suffolk av will just have to take the 3d; LIRR Brentwood is a major xfer point anyway.... nothing's gonna change with that, since so many buses serve it.... The "3e" will provide a newfound direct connection b/w the hauppauge courts & the central islip courts, and if anyone w/i residential CI needs the immediate area, that's what the (altered) "3c" is for...... for whatever reason, if folks want to take the RR at central islip instead of brentwood from up there, one could take the "3e" for that......

* S57 - would no longer serve colony park apts.

Comment, Critique, Applaud, Inquire, whatever.... Doesn't matter to me.

Edited by B35 via Church

As was brought up earlier on the last page (I've amended a couple things since then though):

* 3a/3b - left alone (don't remember if it was on here or another forum, but I don't agree w/ sending either of these to the county offices... let both these routes remain to serve its respective residential areas b/w south shore mall & motor pkwy/washington)

* 3d- left alone....

(having to ride this from end to end 5 days a week some yrs. back, there's nothing you can really do to this route)

* "3c"/"3e"- would result from a split of the current 3c (not that it matters much, but both branches would pass by LIRR great river.... on saturdays only, both routes would run up to the hauppauge shopping center)....

Thats Actually a pretty smart idea.

- the "3c" would run from south shore mall to hauppauge shopping ctr

(no central islip [CI] courts; would serve residential central islip (connetquot side only), would serve LIRR central islip from the lowell av side to run up hawthorne, would serve oval dr. on select trips, would run up wheeler from motor pkwy en route to the shopping ctr.)...

- the "3e" would run from bay shore (mechanicsville rd) to hauppauge county offices [N complex]

(via CI courts, via CI town ctr., via mcgann vill. on select trips, via LIRR central islip, via wheeler rd north of suffolk av, en route to hauppauge courts [NYS office bldg > dennison bldg > North complex bldg])...

----------------

* S42 - sent over to Ronkonkoma RR via vets mem. hwy.... this would pretty much eliminate the 3 bus commute that goes on out there (3c/54/57, or 45/54/57, or 42/54/57, or 3d/54/57)

(no more abrupt ending at LIRR Central islip; this route could use the usage & something should serve Ronkonkoma from the west... select trips would serve colony park apts.)

Never got why the S42 ends at Central Islip and doesnt continue on to Ronkonkoma.

* S45 - would still run b/w Bay Shore (mechanicsville rd) & LIRR Smithtown....

However, I'd divert it off suffolk av, hawthorne av, and motor pkwy b/w hawthorne & willets path.... Too many people ride this solely b/w [south shore mall & brentwood RR area] and b/w [brentwood RR & the county offices]... current routing is wasted time & mileage IMO....

(north of LIRR brentwood, it would run up washington to motor pkwy w/ the S27, to make a right on motor pkwy until it hits willets path, and current routing up along willets path to go on to serve the county courts [northbound, via N. complex > dennison bldg > NYS office bldg]....

...Also, after serving the NYS office bldg, instead of backtracking to serve rabro dr & 111 (b/w rabro dr & vets hwy; the small portion the "3c" would go onto serving), buses would simply shoot across vets mem. hwy & up 111 (wheeler), en route to LIRR Smithtown).....

Folks along suffolk av will just have to take the 3d; LIRR Brentwood is a major xfer point anyway.... nothing's gonna change with that, since so many buses serve it.... The "3e" will provide a newfound direct connection b/w the hauppauge courts & the central islip courts, and if anyone w/i residential CI needs the immediate area, that's what the (altered) "3c" is for...... for whatever reason, if folks want to take the RR at central islip instead of brentwood from up there, one could take the "3e" for that......

* S57 - would no longer serve colony park apts.

In that place you could have the S54 serve it, because that routing from MacArthur North is pretty longwinding and very (not redundant, but the route goes off too much out of it's path)

Reply's in bold

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

I think all trips should serve the Colony Park Apartments, rather than select trips. It doesn't look like there's any real generator down by Route 454.

In that place you could have the S54 serve it, because that routing from MacArthur North is pretty longwinding and very (not redundant, but the route goes off too much out of it's path)

He already has the S42 serving it.

I think all trips should serve the Colony Park Apartments, rather than select trips. It doesn't look like there's any real generator down by Route 454.

He already has the S42 serving it.

Actually, I would make the S42 serve LI MacArthur Airport as well, because that would end all transfering to the S57's in the Southwestern portion of the county, and would also create less transfering and more convient transportation options from Ronkonkoma to the Airport and from the airport. (Customers from East Northport would now have a one-fare ride to the Airport as well as customers from riverhead with one of my proposals

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal