R 44 Pics The Good Ol' Days

yepp good ol days indeed, although im too young to recall pre GOH r44s, those stripes look cool, and it bugs me out those cars look exactly the same on the inside same colors and everything. Minus the raccoon mask on the front and the stripe and u have pretty much an r44 of today.

I think those 44s were a mistake. They were slow, unreliable, and the breakdown way to often. It did it in the 80's, it does it today. If you can compare R44 to a R46, the 46 won. I hate the farts. R44s can go to train hell.

i first moved to roackaway right before the GOH. the (MTA)"corporate look" as they called it was cool looking then. the flip-dot LCD was a test. the ends and side signs were flip-dot and they also had a R46 with the current yellow backlit LCD. Guess which won. LOL

I think those 44s were a mistake. They were slow, unreliable, and the breakdown way to often. It did it in the 80's, it does it today. If you can compare R44 to a R46, the 46 won. I hate the farts. R44s can go to train hell.

It was a mistake on behalf of the then poorly trained crew. I blame the inexperienced crew for everything. But hey, those R44s never failed me as much as the R32s did.

ahh the memories...though im too young for the 44's with the black eyes, but i do remember the Pre GOH 44's with the blue stripes personally theyre a much more attractive car without it especially the 46 as the 44's look like they put gray wallpaper over the stripes i actually rode on the experimental flip dot joints too, now im more of a fan of the 46's theres one thing about the 44's that ive always loved, and thats the sound of the air release

The 44's were made to go fast, but the TA turned them into slow pokes; they were made to attain high speeds and got as high as 80 mph in testing. Of course, the only way they'd go 80 mph today is if you put one on top of the Cyclone and gave it a really good push with a rocket launcher.

The 44's were made to go fast, but the TA turned them into slow pokes; they were made to attain high speeds and got as high as 80 mph in testing. Of course, the only way they'd go 80 mph today is if you put one on top of the Cyclone and gave it a really good push with a rocket launcher.

You'll never stop being a wise guy, will you? (Just kidding!) But why the R44s run really slow now is a shame. Even older cars like the R32 can surpass them if they ever were to race.

St. louis car comp. are the same ones that made them, thats why they are similiar

Actually, the reason that they're similar is that the MTA tried to implement a unified corporate identity system-wide in the late 1960s and early 1970s. That meant ordering similar-looking subway and commuter cars (M1s and R44s) and painting the old ones silver with a blue stripe, to mimic the new ones.

Also, as was previously stated, St. Louis did manufacture the R44s, but the M1s were constructed by Budd.

Totally random thought:

They should put the horizontal blue stripes back on the cars.

That color scheme is long gone now; the MTA doesn't use it on any of their cars anymore (I remember seeing photos of them on the Slants, R42s and when the Redbirds weren't red yet.

What I don't understand is why they're not putting those new strip ads on these cars, like they are doing on the 62's. You would think they would do these cars first, because of the ugly grey band. (Instead, they tested some ad that covered the window).

Some of the ads, I believe for Monroe College, are blue, evoking the old corporate scheme on the 62's!

What I don't understand is why they're not putting those new strip ads on these cars, like they are doing on the 62's. You would think they would do these cars first, because of the ugly grey band. (Instead, they tested some ad that covered the window).

Some of the ads, I believe for Monroe College, are blue, evoking the old corporate scheme on the 62's!

As "bad" as the R44s seem, the T/A treats them the worst. I've had some exceptional times with these trains, but these trains were always regarded as the worse due to their poor design at first. Instead of replacing those strips with stainless steel as with the R46s and SIRT R44s, the R44s were given carbon steel b/c they were anticipated to not last that long. These guys were out of their minds when they designed them. How can you possibly use a half cab door and fit it as a full cab door? And now they are blaming these trains for minor problems just b/c of their own flaws in the past? I think it's an excellent ideas to put those ads on the R44s!

But why the R44s run really slow now is a shame. Even older cars like the R32 can surpass them if they ever were to race.

Realistically all of the cars, with the exception of the NTT's, run as slow as sheet. No one can't just pin the blame solely on the 44's unless they have a personal bias against those cars. I've operated the 44's more times than some of you have gone to the bathroom, and I've found very little wrong with their speed as compared with other equipment types running through the same terrain. In fact, before they slowed down the cars, the 44's were some of the fastest cars in the fleet. 55 mph on the Rockaway Flats was the norm.

You'll never stop being a wise guy, will you?

Most of the crews who know me will tell you that I am a wisenheimer. So there. :P

I seriously don't get how some of you think that the R46s are faster than the R44s. You don't need a train to rock like crazy and sway continuously for it to be fast. To me, the R68/As and R44s have among the best suspensions among the fleets in the system which is why you can't "feel its speed."

• 2 weeks later...
I seriously don't get how some of you think that the R46s are faster than the R44s. You don't need a train to rock like crazy and sway continuously for it to be fast.

I have no idea what you mean by "rocking side to side" because the R46's are quite smooth. Sure you hear squeaks but that doesn't mean anything. I think the R46's are "fast" because as I'm looking out the window, I notice the car picks up speed quite well and keeps pace. I don't think there is any speed difference between the R44 and R46 except in the 0-10 MPH range. The R46 wins in that area but after that the acceleration is pretty much the same.

Archived