platform screen doors...

blkfire765

i heard somewhere that the second ave subway might be the first in the nyc subway to get platform screen doors... could this be true and would this be good for the future of the nyc subway system? what do you guys think of this? sorry if this has already come up...

i heard somewhere that the second ave subway might be the first in the nyc subway to get platform screen doors... could this be true and would this be good for the future of the nyc subway system? what do you guys think of this? sorry if this has already come up...

I think that only new stations may have these type of platform doors (South Ferry didn't get them because they weren't thought of at the time or there was not enough money to warrant their installation). The new Flushing stations in Manhattan will get these doors as well. But I don't think the rest of the system will get them because they cost too much to install, and it may be a bit impractical.

The only thing I'm worried about is a malfunction with the doors, because God forbid there is a malfunction? (i read something on Wikipedia and somebody got caught in between the train door and the platform doors and were killed because of it). Platform screen doors are lawsuits waiting to happen. But other than malfunctioning, I'm indifferent to platform doors in general.

Heat dissipation is a combination of taking heat away above the track area, and cold air being blown down into the platform edge and track area. It works really, really well at new south ferry even in 85 degree heat outside.

- A

No platform screen doors, but they will have heat dissipation.

- A

Not always considering that most stations are not air conditioned. It's more like trapping more accumulated heat. I remember back in 1995 when I rode the Newark Airtrain the first (then known as the airport monorail w/o connection to NEC), the entire waiting area had failed A/C and we stood there all fried up from the area's heat.

Platform screen doors aren't needed. They'd cost a lot, would have to be maintained, could potentially go bad and lead to lawsuits if anything happened. Not to mention the stop location of trains would have to be exact and precise, just like Union Sq with the gap fillers, so any T/O's missing their mark even by a little on that line will lead to the doors not opening and a T/O getting put through the ringer when without those doors odds are he'd have put his conductor on the board and all door panels on the platform.

Doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus I think it would actually lead to MORE 12-9s when the line is established and people are used to riding where there are screen doors go to stations without them.

If you teach people to be responsible, they are responsible. If you teach them not to worry about something, when the safety net is gone they fail miserably. Just like the kids that never drank a drip before college are the ones that go nuts and wind up with their parents getting called at 2AM because they are in the hospital getting their stomach pumped.

Platform screen doors aren't needed. They'd cost a lot, would have to be maintained, could potentially go bad and lead to lawsuits if anything happened. Not to mention the stop location of trains would have to be exact and precise, just like Union Sq with the gap fillers, so any T/O's missing their mark even by a little on that line will lead to the doors not opening and a T/O getting put through the ringer when without those doors odds are he'd have put his conductor on the board and all door panels on the platform.

Doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus I think it would actually lead to MORE 12-9s when the line is established and people are used to riding where there are screen doors go to stations without them.

If you teach people to be responsible, they are responsible. If you teach them not to worry about something, when the safety net is gone they fail miserably. Just like the kids that never drank a drip before college are the ones that go nuts and wind up with their parents getting called at 2AM because they are in the hospital getting their stomach pumped.

Well that's one good way to put it. I don't see the purpose of platform screen doors because those are lawsuits waiting to happen, as you already said. I heard that the new stations are supposed to get them (I really hope not), but it's worthless and a waste of money. Not to mention that they'll be more prone to vandalism.

The way people act around the edge of the platform everyday (either pretending to jump, or walkign fast and squeezing in front of the crowds or through other tight spots), plus the fact that there could be someone reported on the track, or even hanging over it, and we could be in a radio dead spot and not hearm and they would still try to hang us; I just wish we did have them.

I've looked at the JFK Airtrain, and the platform doors are wider, and the train doors can even be a bit offset.

As for different door positions on 60 and 75 foot cars; for one, the Airtrain gates consist all of 5 foot panels. Two of the panels will be doors, and the rest, the wall. So perhaps it can be fixed somehow so that any panel canpossibly be made to function as a door, and whether you have different train door positions, or perhaps an imperfect stop, then the other panels could open. Plus, if the R179 has five sets of doors, maybe they would end up aligned the same as 60 foot cars. But someone would have to do the measurements and spacing to see if that would work. (I looked at it, and it seemed doable).

The issues are, as was said, people gettng caught in them, malfunctions, and the cost of installing them everywhere. But I do think they would be useful.

I had an alternative idea if they are trying to prevent people from getting run over by the trains, what about a motion sensor alarm if someone falls over the track that (A) sounds an alarm, and (:( shuts off power to the 3rd rail in the station (C) calls police so they can arrest someone if they are goofing off to mess up the trains. There would have to be like an override switch if theres employees down there doing track work or something.

I had an alternative idea if they are trying to prevent people from getting run over by the trains, what about a motion sensor alarm if someone falls over the track that (A) sounds an alarm, and (:P shuts off power to the 3rd rail in the station (C) calls police so they can arrest someone if they are goofing off to mess up the trains. There would have to be like an override switch if theres employees down there doing track work or something.

Not feasible. A motion detector would detect every rat running around, every passenger leaning out over the tracks to "see if the train's coming", and for all I know could probably pick up debris blowing around, people spitting in the tracks etc. as movement. Plus it would have to be disabled when the train came into the station too, otherwise the movement of the train would set it off...which could potentially be dangerous since you want to know if someone is on the tracks MOST when a train is approaching...

I had an alternative idea if they are trying to prevent people from getting run over by the trains, what about a motion sensor alarm if someone falls over the track that (A) sounds an alarm, and (:) shuts off power to the 3rd rail in the station (C) calls police so they can arrest someone if they are goofing off to mess up the trains. There would have to be like an override switch if theres employees down there doing track work or something.

Motion sensors would be much better, and could be positioned so you have to be ~3 inches above the track to trigger it, so no one can go around setting them off, i dunno though, stuff falls on the tracks at stations all the time, paper and plastic bags, umbrellas, maybe only turn them on when the train is coming into the station?

- A

Gotta love people making things complicated when it doesn't need to be.

Just thinking out loud. :P Maybe not motion sensors that flip the trip cock. but ones that alert the train driver to look for possible obstruction. Would help on outdoor trackage too, and not just on the subway, anywhere there's a bridge with trees over it, grade crossing etc, doesn't even need to be optical, could be a wire, contact strip like the kind used for stop request, something to add an extra layer of safety in vital areas. :cool:

- A

Gotta love people making things complicated when it doesn't need to be.

Ding ding ding! Just stay off the tracks. The only thing that belongs in that 4' 8.5" space is a big rolling thing called a train.

Archived