Coming around to support an MTA takeover of Suffolk Transit

JohnQPine

Actually, more like this (remember, "MTA" style)

S20 Massapequa Park

Sunrise Mall

via Oak St

via John St

S92 Orient Point

Main Rd

via NYS Route 27

via NYS Route 25

The only thing is, I doubt they'd be S, because S is already used for Staten Island.

Actually, more like this (remember, "MTA" style)

S20 Massapequa Park

Sunrise Mall

via Oak St

via John St

S92 Orient Point

Main Rd

via NYS Route 27

via NYS Route 25

When I went to Sunrise Mall, the N55 just said, "Sunrise Mall". Massapequa Park was omitted

I do not support an MTA takeover of Suffolk Transit.

The MTA is large enough as it is, and it would only cause more problems if Suffolk Transit's current operations were added to the mix. Also, as others have said, Suffolk Transit currently is operated by private companies. The MTA would need to acquire bus depot space if it were to take over Suffolk Transit as it would directly operate the service.

However, I support MetroCard use on Suffolk Transit (if the time ever comes) as well as Sunday service if it's warranted. But these two items can be accomplished without an MTA takeover.

Or bring Staten Island back to its "R"oots. Meaning "R" for Richmond County like the old days. It's possible and you can't rule it out.

That's what I always thought, and it when I was a kid, it wasn't just Richmond County, it was actually the Borough of Richmond (Staten Island was just the geographical name).

But we have moved so far from using Richmond as the borough name (now, it is just a county), that probably would never pass.

I would say if that county split that was once proposed went ahead, and part of Suffolk became Peconic County, then you would simply use P. But I believe that was the outer portion of the county, around the bay of that name.

My main interest in the ST takeover is the fact I live in Suffolk County and I'd like a shorter commute. Besides I can have some more local insight for when I'm running a depot.(MTA)

What part of Suffolk are you from if I may ask? I'm from Southampton. The area of Long Island that has never heard of the word "BUS". LOL!

I would like to see the MTA serve the entire state using NJ Transit as a model with mixed public-private operation. I think this would make a vast improvement to many areas of the state, with service appropriate to local needs.

Why would you want such a greedy self interest group of people running transportation. All of the people running MTA should be thrown out. They hate us riders.

I am not knowledgeable about the motivations of the people on the MTA, so I cannot address your question. It seems to me that service, at least to my observation, where I commute on MTA Bus, and on the subway, is acceptable.

What do you think about using NJ Transit Bus Operations as a model, or do you have issues with them too?

Why would you want such a greedy self interest group of people running transportation. All of the people running MTA should be thrown out. They hate us riders.

Oh come on most people don't think that way. As a former Operator I will admit there were some of my passengers that I couldn't stand,but as a whole most of the riders weren't hated.

Oh come on most people don't think that way. As a former Operator I will admit there were some of my passengers that I couldn't stand,but as a whole most of the riders weren't hated.

It is not about the B/O's it is about the people up in the leadership. Like Howard Roberts and Joe Smith and David Mack who says that complaints go in the trash bin in an Board Meeting. They are who do not give a rats behind riders and screw us any why they can. Not only that, they want to screw its own workers. Look at the swaps that went on with CP, LGA and ECH

Dude there has been talk of College Point being an Express only depot since before there ever even was an MTA Bus Co. There even was talk of the MTA taking over since the 60s when my Dad first started. When the contract came up in 1988 we had 3 scenarios as to what was going to happen. 1 was strike,2 was go out of business and 3 was get taken over by the MTA. So don't think this is a new thing. Even the QBX1 leaving CP is an old one.

Dude there has been talk of College Point being an Express only depot since before there ever even was an MTA Bus Co. There even was talk of the MTA taking over since the 60s when my Dad first started. When the contract came up in 1988 we had 3 scenarios as to what was going to happen. 1 was strike,2 was go out of business and 3 was get taken over by the MTA. So don't think this is a new thing. Even the QBX1 leaving CP is an old one.

I know. But they are trying to screw as many as they could. That is the point of what I said.

Why. They are not related

The idea is to provide a convenient method of fare collection and increase interconnectivity throughout the New York metro area. I assume there are a number of people who use both LI Bus and Suffolk Transit as part of their daily commutes, and I'm sure that they would prefer to use one method of fare collection rather than two,

Archived