When/why did the MTA ban people from walking between cars?

duelingdragons

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's the sixth avenue line being so packed that we had to ride in between cars the entire trip.

Really?! That's...kinda interesting.

Before there was no ban on walking between cars, it just wasn't recommended. They didn't care if you did it, they just suggested to do it only when the train wasn't moving. Now you can't even walk in between cars because of a safety issue, although personally I see it as a way for the MTA to get money.

I'm definitely pro articulated trains for the future subway fleets as people can pass through each car without going "outside." Not to mention, people can ride "between cars."

The BMT Triplex's were like that. The LIRR's cars are something like that as well. If the NTTs were built like that then maybe they would no such as much and I'd like them more.

(NJT) allows people to pass between cars, but :septa: does not.

Reading and PRR also restricted between car movement. You are not allowed to walk between cars or stand in the vestibule while the train is in motion. If there's a crowded train and you are walking back, a crew member must lead you across and open and close the doors, and while pax are between cars the train can't move. I witnessed this just a few days ago, train slowly moved while they walked through the cars "inside", but once they got to the vestibule the train stopped till the door was closed by crew member. Mind you this was at a grade crossing, so i could see the whole thing as the train was stopped across the road.

As far as LIRR, you can, but once you reach a cab end, that's it. Subway, you can't, and i don't blame them, however being fined for it is kind of absurd.

- A

Really?! That's...kinda interesting.

Before there was no ban on walking between cars, it just wasn't recommended. They didn't care if you did it, they just suggested to do it only when the train wasn't moving. Now you can't even walk in between cars because of a safety issue, although personally I see it as a way for the MTA to get money.

Exactly what i say. And its true.

I'm definitely pro articulated trains for the future subway fleets as people can pass through each car without going "outside." Not to mention, people can ride "between cars."

You mean two to three articulates running on the same train right?

i dont see anything wrong with walking between cars when the train isnt moving thats ridicoulous but if the train is moving i can understand no walking between cars specially on the 75 footers witht the narrow walkways and whiplash effect but on the newer fleet the r160s though its not dangerous to walk between cars i can understand the reason of the law i had a police officer stop me at jamaica center when i was walking through a 32 that was not moving at the last stop when a cop wanted to give me a ticket i work for the city and have a badge i presented it to him and he didnt give me the ticket because i dont feel like i violated the spirit of the law walking between cars on a non moving train

Now you can't even walk in between cars because of a safety issue, although personally I see it as a way for the MTA to get money.

Let's change your feeling: MTA and/or NYCT does not get ANY of the money that stems from tickets issued within the confines of NYCT property. All such money goes in the City of New York General Fund.

As far as LIRR, you can, but once you reach a cab end, that's it. Subway, you can't, and i don't blame them, however being fined for it is kind of absurd.

- A

Wrong. I was on the last few cars of a Flatbush-bound train once and the conductor told me that only the first 4 cars platform. He helped us get up to the first 4 cars. The cab ends of M7's are unlocked and opens just like a mid-pair door. However, it has 8 handles (they don't need to be turned at once), which discourages some people.

I've also seen LIRR employees leave the doors open with a little doorstop that comes out from the ceiling. LIRR doors (any one) is very difficult to open without motor/hydraulic assist because the car is pressurized.

I feel that moving between cars on NYCT should ONLY be permitted when the side doors are open. That way, the train won't move suddenly on you. Commuter rail's curves aren't as sharp, they can be more lenient.

Many have fallen between cars while the train was in motion trying to seek some "relief" from the call of nature when in the systems. Guess banning walking thru cars was more politically pleasing than the following 160 announcement would be..

"Ladies & gentleman, your safety is our concern.

Please don't squat & crap between cars while the train is in motion,

you are likely to fall, & experience a miserable, violent, & humiliating death.

Thank you for your cooperation.. (MTA) going your way.."

Wrong. I was on the last few cars of a Flatbush-bound train once and the conductor told me that only the first 4 cars platform. He helped us get up to the first 4 cars. The cab ends of M7's are unlocked and opens just like a mid-pair door. However, it has 8 handles (they don't need to be turned at once), which discourages some people.

I've also seen LIRR employees leave the doors open with a little doorstop that comes out from the ceiling. LIRR doors (any one) is very difficult to open without motor/hydraulic assist because the car is pressurized.

I feel that moving between cars on NYCT should ONLY be permitted when the side doors are open. That way, the train won't move suddenly on you. Commuter rail's curves aren't as sharp, they can be more lenient.

I used to imagine end doors that opened and closed along with the side doors, but the problem is if people are holding them. I guess that would be made to not affect indication, but it would defeat the purpose, and people could get stuck between cars. I guess there would be a button to repone it, but again you could end up with people holding them continuously after the car is moving.

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's the sixth avenue line being so packed that we had to ride in between cars the entire trip.

damn thats rly a saftey issues

Although its banned today, people still cross. Ive seen some AM (7) to queens customers crossing and no one cares...

I would prefer let passengers cross between cars when train not in motion, instead of goiing via Platform when a C/R is in a rush or sumin!!

(NJT) allows people to pass between cars, but :septa: does not.

Reading and PRR also restricted between car movement. You are not allowed to walk between cars or stand in the vestibule while the train is in motion. If there's a crowded train and you are walking back, a crew member must lead you across and open and close the doors, and while pax are between cars the train can't move. I witnessed this just a few days ago, train slowly moved while they walked through the cars "inside", but once they got to the vestibule the train stopped till the door was closed by crew member. Mind you this was at a grade crossing, so i could see the whole thing as the train was stopped across the road.

- A

Most of the SEPTA's fleet consists of Silverliners, which are dangerous to cross on the cab ends. I remember riding on an Arrow III and I was told that I wasn't allowed to cross at all on the cab end of the married pairs. However, all the Comet IV-MLVs and C2s have the safety rubber guards at the cab ends to ensure safety when traveling between cars. Sorry to get off topic.

Most of the SEPTA's fleet consists of Silverliners, which are dangerous to cross on the cab ends. I remember riding on an Arrow III and I was told that I wasn't allowed to cross at all on the cab end of the married pairs. However, all the Comet IV-MLVs and C2s have the safety rubber guards at the cab ends to ensure safety when traveling between cars. Sorry to get off topic.

It's cool, because the LIRR and the MNR cars have those too.

AFAIK There is no ban on walking between cars on MNCR or LIRR.

People do it all the time when a car is full and they are looking for a seat, both when the train is moving and still. Conductors see them doing it and don't say anything, so I think it is perfectly OK.

Archived