Steel dust in subways

Tracknut

I've been hearing about steel dust from some members. What has the MTA done about this if anything? Do train cabs have any filtration for this?

I'm starting to think its a fact of life for T/O's and train Conductors. It comes with the job. Am I right?

When my brother was a T/O, he use to say when he came back home and he was sick and blew his nose, you can see the steel dust in the tissue.

I still do..

Six years in Motors and it can drive ya nuts, really..

I wash my work clothes separate from my other clothes beacuse of it..

When i come home i make a bee-line right for the shower..

Im also finding out that the B Div "car classes" are a bit more dirtier" than the A Div car classes, i guess due to age..

is the smell of the subway associated with the steel dust? (im not talking about a smell where someone took a piss or other stench, but that smell when you first walk right into the subway and you or at least i start to notice, or when your walking on those grates on the street and the train goes by and you can smell it in the wind)

is the smell of the subway associated with the steel dust? (im not talking about a smell where someone took a piss or other stench, but that smell when you first walk right into the subway and you or at least i start to notice, or when your walking on those grates on the street and the train goes by and you can smell it in the wind)

Oh, I know that odor! :eek:

It's not just the subways guys/gal. I worked in Rye Playland at the Autoscooters (big bumper car arena). Every time I would wipe my nose, black soot aka steel dust, would be on the tissue. Guess for me I will be used to it in the subway, since I already dealt with it.

As for the subway smell. I LOVE it. They should make it into an air freshner (without the steel dust particles of course).

It's not just the subways guys/gal. I worked in Rye Playland at the Autoscooters (big bumper car arena). Every time I would wipe my nose, black soot aka steel dust, would be on the tissue. Guess for me I will be used to it in the subway, since I already dealt with it.

As for the subway smell. I LOVE it. They should make it into an air freshner (without the steel dust particles of course).

I like the smell of the wood timber (not exactly steel dust) used as sleepers or thats what I think it is at the yards especially the 36th Street Yard. You can get that smell when at the 9th Avenue station on the West End.

I like the smell of the wood timber (not exactly steel dust) used as sleepers or thats what I think it is at the yards especially the 36th Street Yard. You can get that smell when at the 9th Avenue station on the West End.

That smell of wet timber wood?

Archived