Does anybody think NYCT is doing a good job when it comes to addressing gap safety?

Pu3rToRoCk8947

I wanted to get some opinions on how do you think NYCT is addressing gap safety on subways,do you think they are doing a good job so far or can they do more?

Personally i would like to see all door operators to periodically announce safety messages on the trains

Does anybody think Watch The Gap decals are necessary on subway car doors and sides?

They're not doing a bad job...people just need to take RESPONSIBILITY (gasp! what a concept!) for their own safety instead of expecting MTA to it for them

Why should they take responsibilty for a stupid act they may do because they are going to sue the MTA anyway...:(

you mean there isn't a invisible force field between the platform and the doors that I can step on?

Yeah there is. it's called the space between the third rail and the protection board :(

And may the force be with Julio, as he feels the force (of the 600VDC), while doing the new electric slide..........

At the end of the new electric slide, one will release their bowels B):(:(............

They're not doing a bad job...people just need to take RESPONSIBILITY (gasp! what a concept!) for their own safety instead of expecting MTA to it for them

I really agree on that, people need to keep in mind that the subway is a WORKING RAILROAD. People need to look out for themselfs and if they fail to do that, too bad thats your problem. I do think that they should repair platforms when the edge starts to break away, but it is your responsability to keep your slef safe.

The gap fillers on the 14th st lex station are slippery and have no bright markings on the ends. Remember, not only does common sense come sparsely these days, but some people don't have good eyesight, a bright color will do them more good than some sign. (NJT) is in the process of replacing tactile edge strips, re-painting the areas behind them, and putting on refreshed "watch the gap" and "keep back from edge" lettering, gap lettering being in red!

- A

Making excuses for people and lowering standards/dumbing things down just gives stupid people a chance to be even dumber.

It's already been happening, and it needs to stop. You can't legislate stupidity out of existence. Wrap every train in bubble wrap and spend billions on platform screen doors and put pillowed plows in front of every subway train and I guarantee you some idiot somewhere will still find a way to get killed.

Personal responsibility is dying out, and every time the standards are dumbed down, people adjust, get dumber, and the consensus becomes the standards need to drop further. It doesn't work. They have to go back to advocating common sense, and the federal government needs to pass a badly needed law that any lawsuit judged to be "frivolous" ends with the plaintiff paying the defendant's legal costs, as well as that same amount to the state, and that same amount once again to the fed government. Only then will people stop suing on a prayer and bulls***.

The publicized incidents of people walking into the gap occured on the LIRR in in 2006 if my memory isn't completely ruined. The thing that caught my eye about it was that people not from the greater metropolitain area were the ones affected, now thanks to some yokels from tumbleweed, oklahoma I have to read watch the gap on every damn MNR and LIRR ticket. That is besides the point though, to a degree everyone should be aware of their surroundings at all times, and if you aren't too bad, it is called accountability.

The publicized incidents of people walking into the gap occured on the LIRR in in 2006 if my memory isn't completely ruined. The thing that caught my eye about it was that people not from the greater metropolitain area were the ones affected, now thanks to some yokels from tumbleweed, oklahoma I have to read watch the gap on every damn MNR and LIRR ticket. That is besides the point though, to a degree everyone should be aware of their surroundings at all times, and if you aren't too bad, it is called accountability.

that person was also drunk out of her mind if memory serves me correctly.

that person was also drunk out of her mind if memory serves me correctly.

Yep, she was and she ran under the platform to another track where she was killed. She ignored the C/R and several others who told her not to move untill help arrived. I don't think her family should have gotten a cent from the (MTA).

i have to admit a few months ago at Jay St i too had my foot fall thru the gap there. a gap i step over all the time for years and years. it wasnt the MTAs fault. i wasnt paying attention. its just that simple. pay attention and everything will be ok. the LIRR gaps are greater that the subways gap. in each case, the MTA does a fine job on reminding the riders of the hazzards accordingly and most accidents can be from irresposability of the individual. we just all have to take the blame of our own mistakes. i do.

Well that happens regardless of how you kick the bucket, from dying in your sleep to getting shocked by the 3rd rail.

:P

Yes, but it really stinks, when it gets heated up..........

I do my part. I was over in London a short time back, and I purchased a London Underground logo'd "MIND THE GAP" tee shirt that I wear occasionally while riding.B)

Maybe the MTA could market their own version as a humorous device to help educate the passengers?

I do "MIND THE GAP", when getting on and off the trains. Wait are you talkin' bout the gap between the train and platform. If so, well then never-mind.......

Archived