Anyone ever ridden a shuttle bus before?

Tinamarie

Shuttle buses are used to replace a subway route when they are under General Order Detour(Construction and/or detpir). Depends if a line is closed.

The buses are provided by various depot under MaBSTOA[Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority]/NYCT and i think (MTA) Bus Company.

The (S) bus makes all stops for the line while they have one that runs express non-stop the beginning to the end

Example

(2) Train Shuttle Bus! If there was no trains from 149th St Grand Concourse to 96th Street-Broadway, the (MTA) would set up two shuttle bus routes. One Local stop which makes all (2) stops from 149th to 96th St, while the other is a non-stop bus from 149th St to 96th St, skipping 135th, 125th, 116th, 110th St on Lenox Line.

Sometimes there is no need for a non-stop Shuttle buses depends on how far it has to run.

Also some Shuttle buses maybe split such as the (A) train shuttle bus from 168th to 207th St. The Fort Washington Avenue (S) bus and Broadway bus. Fort Washington Ave Bus runs on that Avenue with the M4/M98 to get to 190th St station since there is no road that heads back to the rest of the (A) stops north.. While the Broadway bus does, except 190th St.

And (S) buses are Free! They give you a ticket at the Train station used to get back on the train at the end of the (S) bus route, instead of paying again. But you need to carry it tho! If you get on the (S) bus between station other then the (S) terminal its free too.

You can enter in the back of the bus or front ether! Hope this helps

Ive rode lots of (S) buses in my life of course!

(1) Train Shuttle Bus From 96th and up

(2) Train (S) bus from 149th and 96th

(2)(5)(S) bus from 149th/3rd to E180th

(A) Train (S) bus from Utica to Jay

L1/L2/L3 (S) Bus from 1998 on the (2)(3) Lenox Ave Line Rehab

Few others..

I got on lots of (S) Bus

IRT:

(1): Got on RTS, Hybrid, even the Artic Bus. Artic Bus turn on wide street above Duane St. Shuttle Bus made stop at Bowling Green for Circle Line for WTC PATH at closed Cortlandt St Station also.

(2): Got on bet. 241st & E. 180th Sts; local shuttle bus between 96th & 149th Sts; non-stop between 96th & 149th Sts.

(3): Only runs one bus for this shuttle bus between 135th St and 148th St station.

(4): I only rode the SOS Shuttle Bus when there was building collapse on 115th St/Lex Av.

(5): This shuttle bus is wicked routing.

(6): Shuttle Bus I only took one way from Pelham Bay Park to Parkchester (long time ago before I join this forum)

In Brooklyn

(2)(3): Station agent did not give transfer between (2)(3) was running express in both direction between Atlantic Av-Pacific St & Franklin Av

(3)(4): Utica Av and New Lots Avs.

(2): Between Franklin Av and BC.

(7): Single bus between Queensboro Plaza & Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av.

Now for Emergency Shuttle Bus

(1): Dyckman St & 168th Sts.

(4)(5)(6): 86th St & 125th St when there was building collapsed at 116th St area.

Dunno if you were here during the 1998 Lenox Rehab.. If so do you remember the L1/L2/L3 routes that replaced the (2)(3) on Lenox Ave? While the (3) Went on the (1) line and (2) one way on Lenox and Lexington line.

I remember that! Ive been on that of course.

I got on lots of (S) Bus

IRT:

(1): Got on RTS, Hybrid, even the Artic Bus. Artic Bus turn on wide street above Duane St. Shuttle Bus made stop at Bowling Green for Circle Line for WTC PATH at closed Cortlandt St Station also.

(2): Got on bet. 241st & E. 180th Sts; local shuttle bus between 96th & 149th Sts; non-stop between 96th & 149th Sts.

(3): Only runs one bus for this shuttle bus between 135th St and 148th St station.

(4): I only rode the SOS Shuttle Bus when there was building collapse on 115th St/Lex Av.

(5): This shuttle bus is wicked routing.

(6): Shuttle Bus I only took one way from Pelham Bay Park to Parkchester (long time ago before I join this forum)

In Brooklyn

(2)(3): Station agent did not give transfer between (2)(3) was running express in both direction between Atlantic Av-Pacific St & Franklin Av

(3)(4): Utica Av and New Lots Avs.

(2): Between Franklin Av and BC.

(7): Single bus between Queensboro Plaza & Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av.

Rode them lots of times. Despise them...

A few examples.

-Shuttle buses replacing {(D)pre-July 2001} and (Q) trains between Coney Island & Brighton Beach.

-Between Bay Pkwy & Coney Island; (W)s turned at Bay Parkway.

-Staten Island Railway Service totally suspended. Shuttle bus From St George to Oakwood Heights.

Zach

I have ridden a lot of them! For the most part I don't mind taking the shuttle buses however some are rougher then others.

I break them down by route and pattern as I have ridden different versions of each shuttle bus from what I can remember riding!

(Q)

Prospect Park-Stillwell Ave (LCL & EXP)

Kings Highway-Stillwell Ave

Prospect Park-Atlantic-Pacific

Prospect Park-Kings Highway (LCL & EXP with 2 different express routings)

Atlantic-Pacific-Kings Highway (EXP Only I guess)

(R)

36-95

59-95

(1)

168-191 via St Nick

168-Dyckman via Broadway

242-137

242-207 (A)

Chambers-South Ferry

(2)

Flatbush-Franklin

96-149 GC (LCL & EXP)

(A)

168-190 via Ft Washington

168-207 via Broadway

Jay-Utica(LCL & EXP)

Lefferts-80

Rockaway-Far Rockaway

B 98-Far Rockaway

Howard Beach-Rockaway Park

Howard Beach-Far Rockaway EXP

Euclid-B 98 < Had a very very bad experience with this 1!

Euclid-Lefferts

(E)

Jamaica CTR-Union

(N)

Ditmars-36 (R)<-Queens

& theres some more I can't really think of right now!

I also remember a G.O. where shuttle buses replaced the E & F from 71 Ave heading west. I forgot where it ended though!

For Division B

1. Ft. Wash Av bus bet. 190th & 168th Sts (A)
  2. Broadway bus bet. 207th & 168th Sts (A)
  3. Ozone Park bus bet. 80th St & Lefferts Blvd (A)
  4. Non-stop bus bet. Howard Beach-JFK & Far Rockaway via Nassau County (A)
  5. Local S bus bet. Howard Beach-JFK & Rockaway Park: which made (S) stops in the Rockaways (A)
  6. Grand St (S) Bus bet. West 4th & Grand Sts (D)
  7. Single bus bet. 205th St & Bedford Park Blvd (D)
  8. Shuttle Bus between Kew Gardens & Jamaica Center (E)
  9. Shuttle Bus between 21st St-Queensbridge & Queens Plaza (E)/(Q) G.O. to/from 21st St (F) when (F) was on (E).
  10. Shuttle Bus between Jay St (A)(C)(F) and Bedford-Nostrand Avs (G)
  11. Shuttle Bus between Marcy Av/Hewes St & Essex St (J)- extreme crowded
  12. Shuttle Bus between Broadway Junction & Jamaica Van Wyck (E)(J)- crowded
  13. Shuttle Bus between Myrtle Av-Broadway & Broadway Junction or Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway (L)
  14. Local Shuttle Bus between Broadway Junction & Canarsie (L)
  15. Express Shuttle Bus between Broadway Junction & Canarsie (L)
  16. Local between Prospect Park & Kings Highway (Q)
  17. Express between Prospect Park & Kings Highway (Q)
  18. Local between Jay St & Utica Av
  19. Express between Jay St & Utica Av
  20. Franklin Av Shuttle Bus- northbound stop at Botanical Garden is so far out!

Other Events

(MTA) Bus Rodeo between Flatbush Av/Avenue T & Flloyd Bennet Field

I never have and I hope I don't. They seem confusing. How does it work? Does it stop along the train stations, the ones that the trains aren't running in? I would like to know for future reference.

They are not "confusing". They simply run on the surface in place of a train that is not running, usually due to a weekend GO to allow construction/track work that requires cutting power to the third rail.

The first and last shuttle stops will always be just outside the station where shuttle bus service begins. For example, there were lots of Utica Avenue to Jay Street shuttle buses on the (A) line earlier this year, and the shuttle bus would stop just outside the station's exits on Malcolm X Boulevard and Fulton St (for Utica Avenue) and Fulton Street and Jay Street, across from NYU Polytechnic Institute (for Jay Street). Some shuttle buses are designated local (stops at all intervening stops), and some are express (runs non-stop from the first to the last stop). You will need to ask the shuttle bus operator if it is a local or express.

Even the express bus, however, is way slower than the subway due to traffic and weather conditions, so for be sure to add 15-20 minutes to your travel time. The shuttle bus between Utica Avenue and Jay Street takes at least 30 minutes (the subway covers that in 12 minutes), while the common (L) line shuttle bus from Myrtle-Wyckoff Avenue to Lorimer St takes about 25 minutes to cover the distance of a 9 minute subway ride. This is why the shuttle buses are such a PITA.

Occasionally, the shuttle bus will stop a little distance away from the station, usually where a regular local or express bus stops. For example, shuttle buses at Beach 67th St station in the Rockaways stop at either Beach Channel Drive (where there is a Q22/QM17 bus stop), or, more recently, at Rockaway Beach Boulevard, whereas the station itself is on Rockaway Freeway (which is closed from B67th to B79th Sts). In these cases, there will be signs (bright yellow laminated (MTA) stationery, printed with "Shuttle Bus" and direction arrows pointing towards the stop), attached to station entrances and lamp posts periodically until you get to the stop.

Late nights, the shuttle bus driver will let you off at any point along the route. Recently, the Rockaway (S) was replaced late nights by a shuttle bus operating from Beach 60th St station, and people got off at Beach 73rd and Beach 81st St, even though there are no stations at those streets.

As often as possible, avoid shuttle buses and try to take a different route if you can. The weekend closures in the Rockaways often results in a "shuttle train" running between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park, and once you take the train to the terminals, you must transfer to a shuttle bus that goes through Nassau County or a very circuitous route from Beach 116th St, taking 30 minutes to get to Howard Beach. It takes me 53 minutes to get to Howard Beach (walk to the station, shuttle train, shuttle bus combined). A better option is to take the Q22 and the Q53/Q21 buses to Rockaway Blvd, which only takes 30 minutes and lets me get a train running from either Lefferts Blvd or Howard Beach, reducing overall journey times by at least 30 minutes.

the worst one was the (F) shuttle bus from avenue x to coney island when they were doing rehab on neptune ave, west 8th and stillwell

I never rode that one. If I needed to get back to Brighton from the (F), I rode to the last stop - Avenue X, then grabbed the B1 back into Brighton. The (F) bus was bad, huh?

Besides the (1) train shuttle, I rode the old S6s and S103s in Staten Island in the 1980's. The Staten Island 6 Shuttle (S6s) which is now the S60 is/was a shuttle bus going from Clove Road and Victory Blvd. to Arlo Road and back. The Staten Island 103 Shuttle (S103s) used to pick up passengers at Hylan Blvd and Great Kills Summer Park Road (now called Buffalo Street,) to the Beach.

I have ridden on shuttle busses

(F)(G) Church Ave To Jay St

(Q) Coney Island To Prospect Park -- Never go on this one,very very very bad experience,takes forever!!

(R) 59 St to 95 St-Bay Ridge

(W) (Now (D)) Bay Pkwy To Coney Island

(N) 59 St To Coney Island (This was years ago,I remember doing this with my grandma when I was little)

(A) from Far Rock to JFK (Orion V 673)

(J) from Cypress Hills to ENY (RTS)

(1) from Dyckman to 168th Street (Orion VII 6570)

I try to avoid them at all costs. But like checking out the equipment being used. The (A) one was me hopping on LIB to Far Rock at Hempstead and not realizing they were doing it until it was too late.

Archived