Ride The R42s While You Can

Daniel The Cool

Probably why I don't have a favorite subway car at all. P.S. the samething goes for LIRR, MNRR, and etc.......

I remembered riding the R42s on the (L) back in 2000. In 2000 the R42s were very shiny compared to what they look like now and even then it doesn't matter it's the same old cars I still know.

Yup, those were the days, when the Slants and Mods were on the (L). I miss the R42s on the (L) now. By 2008, they were gonesville from the Canarsie Line. I last rode an R42 (L) train in September of 2007. I caught it at Eighth Avenue between 6:50 and 7 in the morning and took it to Bedford Avenue.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R42's need to go, They break down more than before, That was the MDBF from 2007, The R42's are in terrible shape, I don't hate them, They just need to go, The only thing I like about those cars is they remind me of the 1980's.

You said it dude! I really can't blame anybody for liking the R44s but don't get me wrong though. I just don't find them superior to the 60' SMEEs of any class.

The R44s were vastly superior to the R42 and earlier in ride comfort, quietness, and arguably interior aesthetics. Vastly. The R44s superiority to the R42s in Noise reduction and ride smoothness, at least when the trains were new, beats the R160s superiority to the R44s noise reduction and ride smoothness by quite a margin. The R44, as much as you and others may say is junk, was a landmark train.

Where the R32 is superior is durability and build quality. If one says they are best and defines best with this definition, then it's a great argument. It's not if one defines best as the riding experience based on the train's smoothness , quietness, and speed (the R44 was the fastest subway built in terms of reaching high speeds). It all depends on how one defines superior.

My definition of superior: anything that has a higher quality value over its inferior counterpart. This is what undoubtedly makes the R32 superior to any other subway car in the system: it is 45 years old because it has a durable body and it is STILL in service. If the R32 was really a troublemaker in the subway then it would only see service until 35, the average life of a subway car. That's why I seriously doubt every single post R44 5278 makes when it comes to the R44 and his insights that it's "the best subway car around". The cars rarely make it past 40 MPH anymore, TOs are s*** scared that their train can go into emergency, and the car body is rotting rapidly. I'll admit that once in a blue moon, the train will speed through the Cranberry Street tunnel and from Howard Beach to Broad Channel, but it's not capable of doing that anymore because it's not serving its purpose, which was to be an SAS-exclusive car. If the SAS was built, and R44s were doing their job along the line, then maybe I'd have a different mindset, but its body fatigue, just like all 60' SMEEs R38-R42 is no joke.

The R44s were vastly superior to the R42 and earlier in ride comfort, quietness, and arguably interior aesthetics. Vastly. The R44s superiority to the R42s in Noise reduction and ride smoothness, at least when the trains were new, beats the R160s superiority to the R44s noise reduction and ride smoothness by quite a margin. The R44, as much as you and others may say is junk, was a landmark train.

Where the R32 is superior is durability and build quality. If one says they are best and defines best with this definition, then it's a great argument. It's not if one defines best as the riding experience based on the train's smoothness , quietness, and speed (the R44 was the fastest subway built in terms of reaching high speeds). It all depends on how one defines superior.

Note your keyword of the use "was". IS it still this way? Heck no.

That's why I seriously doubt every single post R44 5278 makes when it comes to the R44 and his insights that it's "the best subway car around".
Hold it, I never said that they are the best around. The R44s are simply my preference, but I think the R68As and R62As are the best subway trains around presently.

Hold it, I never said that they are the best around. The R44s are simply my preference, but I think the R68As and R62As are the best subway trains around presently.

This I can argue with, as I like the Slants because of their uniqueness from the rest of the subway cars, but this does not mean that the Slants, or any other subway car, is superior to the R32 at all.

You guys don't think R44's have a good ride quality? You guys don't think the R44's are quiet cars? You guys are seriously thinking that the R32 has a better, QUIETER, smoother ride quality than the R44? Yeah whatever.

I really think you don't need to say anything else.

Thats right guys we should try to ride the R42s while we can due to only few sets left and retiring. They normally run on the (J)(V)(Z) lines and sometimes the (R) line. Here's some stations I recommend you do while hunting for R42s

Jamaica Center

71st Avenue

Jackson Heights Roosevelt Avenue

Queens Plaza

W 57th Street-7th Avenue

53rd Street- Lex Avenue

W 47th-W 50th Street

W 42nd Street

W 34th Street

W 4th Street

Broadway Lafayette Street

2nd Avenue

Canal Street

Chambers Street

City Hall

Whitehall Street

Pacific Street

36th Street

59th Street Brooklyn

95th Street

Now what you guys think of my suggestion?

To bad im not coming back to NYC before July 2010

The R42's need to go, They break down more than before, That was the MDBF from 2007, The R42's are in terrible shape, I don't hate them, They just need to go, The only thing I like about those cars is they remind me of the 1980's.

you know you hate them :P

Them R42's on the (J) still? If so, Im'ma go git me some R42 photos.

Wow I'm surprised no one said

(J)/(Z) 111st.

You will DEFINETLY catch either two sets, or just 1 they can be found there anytime other than rush hour!

Or at the pocket tracks north of Jamaica Center.

Or at the pocket tracks north of Jamaica Center.

True. Rarely see that now though. I've only Riddrn the R42s 3 times, And everyday afterschool during rush (about 5:36)@ Norwood ave I see 1 set manhattan bound. On the (J).

... I'm bringing my phone to school next week (allowed to because of track. sweet!) so if I catch anything I'll post it here...

For those who are interested, the R42 fleet has a much higher MDBF than the R32 fleet. Not that the R42 MDBF is high by any means. As others have mentioned, the R38s were fairly consistently the most reliable SMEEs, although the R40s would snatch that title from time to time. Neither the R32s nor the R42s were able to match the R38/R40s in reliability.

R44s have the best ride quality in the whole fleet. When the R44 is retired, it will be a sad day for the riders of the A and C lines.

R44s have the best ride quality in the whole fleet. When the R44 is retired, it will be a sad day for the riders of the A and C lines.

I really doubt this statement. (A) and (C) riders don't really care what they ride. They can get the oldest cars, or they can even have the newest cars (if fate was good enough); they really wouldn't care and just continue on with their day.

I really doubt this statement. (A) and (C) riders don't really care what they ride. They can get the oldest cars, or they can even have the newest cars (if fate was good enough); they really wouldn't care and just continue on with their day.

There's what I don't get. How can one person speak for an entire train line? I just don't get that ;)

The R42's are fun (dunno if I should put were (were they retired?) )

I personally like riding them.....'specially in the winter...man them heaters are strong :)

For those who are interested, the R42 fleet has a much higher MDBF than the R32 fleet. Not that the R42 MDBF is high by any means. As others have mentioned, the R38s were fairly consistently the most reliable SMEEs, although the R40s would snatch that title from time to time. Neither the R32s nor the R42s were able to match the R38/R40s in reliability.

i like real proof that those rust buckets have a high MDBF, although that could be a reason why (NYCT) wanted to keep them past the R160 order at one point, a stupid mistake imo. though i agree the R38s and R40s are very reliable in terms of breakdowns, R32s still have the best structural stability of all pre R44s and that is the real reason they should stay until the R160 order is completed. i also like real proof that those tin can R44s have the best ride quality. to me, the R68/68As do. i will applause once the R44s retire because they have drove my life misreably since my first ride on them in February 2005 with their ugly design and frequent mechanical and technical failures.

i like real proof that those rust buckets have a high MDBF, although that could be a reason why (NYCT) wanted to keep them past the R160 order at one point, a stupid mistake imo. though i agree the R38s and R40s are very reliable in terms of breakdowns, R32s still have the best structural stability of all pre R44s and that is the real reason they should stay until the R160 order is completed. i also like real proof that those tin can R44s have the best ride quality. to me, the R68/68As do. i will applause once the R44s retire because they have drove my life misreably since my first ride on them in February 2005 with their ugly design and frequent mechanical and technical failures.

Why not just buy a car and avoid the subway all together.

i like real proof that those rust buckets have a high MDBF, although that could be a reason why (NYCT) wanted to keep them past the R160 order at one point, a stupid mistake imo...will applause once the R44s retire because they have drove my life misreably since my first ride on them in February 2005 with their ugly design and frequent mechanical and technical failures.

Winson, please, don't do that. If you don't like the R42s and R44s, just don't ride them. Wait for the next type train. I can't imagine riding with you on those types of trains and the facial expressions you'll make. No offense, but you really need to tone down on your dislikes.

I think the R42s are still going strong!

Why not just buy a car and avoid the subway all together.

IAWTP.

Winson, please, don't do that. If you don't like the R42s and R44s, just don't ride them. Wait for the next type train. I can't imagine riding with you on those types of trains and the facial expressions you'll make. No offense, but you really need to tone down on your dislikes.

I think the R42s are still going strong!

Again, IAWTP.

God hates me.

Not only did I Ride R42s almost the whole week, wjen I had my phone I never caught them. I don't have my phone they appear constantly, let's start.

(M)onday- I forgot my phone. I said I was gonna bring it, I forget. I get to Jamaica Center, there is a damn set of the cars about to leave. I rode in lead car 4820. I later in the day catch it again! Heading to (F)ing Manhattan!

(T)uesday-no school.

(W)ensday-nuttin much. The usual. No R42s running in my direction. Rush almost over.

(T)hursday-(today) I Bring my phone.Track Practice ends early, I need my phone, BUT its 5:30, and the coach isnt giving them out till 6. I leave early, so I'll get it tommorow.

NOT ONLY DID I MISS MY NORMAL 5:38 (Z), it was a frikin R42!!! Its never an R42!!! So I wait for the next (Z) . Guess what? Its a frikin R42 AGAIN! Car 4799!!! Oh and it gets better. I pass 2 more R42 sets on the way 2 Jamaica Center. Including the laidup set @ 111st.

I tried to pry off the builders plate because it was loose. No dice. Things bolted on Hard.(Yes I'm Not paying 75 bucks for something I can rip off for free:p lol!)

This week thus far set a R42 record in my book. THESE RARELY COME OUT!!

people ramble about their likes and dislikes too often.

:(;; ....

Archived