Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice...congratulations to you....i too was offered the Bus operator position, but passed on it...really want the conductors position..

I know the list is moving, I just want it to move a lil faster...lol....what was your list number when they offered you the bus position?

Nice...congratulations to you....i too was offered the Bus operator position, but passed on it...really want the conductors position..

I know the list is moving, I just want it to move a lil faster...lol....what was your list number when they offered you the bus position?

My list numbwas 2340s. I started the bus processing I'd say April or may. And I started in July

Wow, they started filling up those positions quick.....my list # is in the 2340s....if I would have taken it ,would have been working right now....but it's cool...at least your almost done with probation...and Ms.Shivers said I should be getting a call by the end of this month...so let's see what happens...good luck on your career in the TA..:))

Wow, they started filling up those positions quick.....my list # is in the 2340s....if I would have taken it ,would have been working right now....but it's cool...at least your almost done with probation...and Ms.Shivers said I should be getting a call by the end of this month...so let's see what happens...good luck on your career in the TA..:))

Wow that's funny we have list number so close. I forget exactly maybe 2431 or 2439 it was.

Yes bus is cool. And I can still take promotionals for train operator (not sure about train dispatcher though)

But what I learned is after probation and you do take promotional tests and get that position. You have one year to feel it out and you can go back to your old position if you like.

Your going to love the T.A. maybe not your coworkers but I love my benefits lol.

Lol...I hear that....I bet you do....can't wait to see mines....lol...that's cool about the promotional exams...can't wait for that call....I have 2 family members who retired from TA.. All I keep hearing are the stories..lol...as far as coworkers, you deal with them best way you can...I know I'm there for my job, not the BS......Again, good luck to you, and thanks for the info :)

Wow that's funny we have list number so close. I forget exactly maybe 2431 or 2439 it was.

Yes bus is cool. And I can still take promotionals for train operator (not sure about train dispatcher though)

But what I learned is after probation and you do take promotional tests and get that position. You have one year to feel it out and you can go back to your old position if you like.

Your going to love the T.A. maybe not your coworkers but I love my benefits lol.

Only Train Operator, Assistant Train Dispatcher and even TSS can promote or in the case of TSS lateral to Train Dispatcher.

Only Conductor and Tower Operator can promote to Assistant Train Dispatcher or Train Operator.

Only Train Operator can promote to TSS.

Only Conductor can promote to Tower Operator.

Only Train Operator, Assistant Train Dispatcher and even TSS can promote or in the case of TSS lateral to Train Dispatcher.

Only Conductor and Tower Operator can promote to Assistant Train Dispatcher or Train Operator.

Anywhere we can read about these job positions?

Train Dispatcher can also promote to TSS, provided they have the requisite amount of experience as a Train Operator to qualify somewhere in their history.

https://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808562000.pdf

Read that again it includes bus operator to promote to train operator .

This was last promotional exam i think

I was only making a reference point to those already working in the Department of Subways and/or Rapid Transit Operations.  Bus Operators have to complete a union course in order to qualify being hired from the promotional list pending passing score.

I know for Orientation, i have to wear a light blue button down shirt, does it matter if it's Short Sleeve or Long Sleeve?

Actually I would like to know that too. What are we supposed to wear for orientation an how long till we get uniforms. I might need to actually buy the clothes needed for orientation before that point. Any other suggestions on what to get to start with? For instance I remember reading here possibly a leather belt and a large backpack...

Actually I would like to know that too. What are we supposed to wear for orientation an how long till we get uniforms. I might need to actually buy the clothes needed for orientation before that point. Any other suggestions on what to get to start with? For instance I remember reading here possibly a leather belt and a large backpack...

They give you a paper that tells you where to report and what to wear. 

Shoes - Sturdy, closed, dark solid color; no sneakers or sandals

Pants - Long, dark, blue or black; solid without prints, no jeans

Shirts - Plain, button down, light blue with collar; no designs

You are permitted to wear short sleeve shirts at any time of the year. You must always have long pants. From Oct 1-April 30 you also must wear a hat and tie, but that usually isn't enforced during schoolcar (except when posting). Until you get your uniforms delivered, you must wear your vest if any non-TA clothing is showing. Just get light blue dress shirts, and dark blue or black dress pants. Don't worry about the shoes, you'll get TA-issued shoes in the second week so just wear anything that's black or dark brown. You'll also want to get yourself a good quality backpack dedicated to work. Get one with lots of pockets and sections. You'll be required to carry a gasmask, which will be the biggest tool in your bag -- some people have tied it to the outside of their bags, mine sits at the bottom of a pocket with my flashlight and vest. I have two little pockets on the sides where I keep my keys and rollsign changer.

During the second half of the first week of orientation, you will be warned to bring an extra bag that day. You'll want to bring a medium-sized suitcase with you that day, as you'll be getting all of your tools as well as about 20 lb of textbooks.

You are permitted to wear short sleeve shirts at any time of the year. You must always have long pants. From Oct 1-April 30 you also must wear a hat and tie, but that usually isn't enforced during schoolcar (except when posting). Until you get your uniforms delivered, you must wear your vest if any non-TA clothing is showing. Just get light blue dress shirts, and dark blue or black dress pants. Don't worry about the shoes, you'll get TA-issued shoes in the second week so just wear anything that's black or dark brown. You'll also want to get yourself a good quality backpack dedicated to work. Get one with lots of pockets and sections. You'll be required to carry a gasmask, which will be the biggest tool in your bag -- some people have tied it to the outside of their bags, mine sits at the bottom of a pocket with my flashlight and vest. I have two little pockets on the sides where I keep my keys and rollsign changer.

During the second half of the first week of orientation, you will be warned to bring an extra bag that day. You'll want to bring a medium-sized suitcase with you that day, as you'll be getting all of your tools as well as about 20 lb of textbooks.

No harm in using a suitcase to carry the books and paperwork. I personally used the backpack I ferry around all day, a tough Swissgear with a bunch of sections and pockets. Like Snowblock said, its important to use a very functional bag or backpack. The mask, rulebook and flashlight are going to be the heaviest things you carry while on the road, not to mention maybe extra clothes, food and a bunch of extra things you're going to find useful. In schoolcar you're going to carry all those things plus the bulletin book, a large textbook and a smaller one (a BUNCH of heavy induction/orientation stuff for a while) and other material such as papers and pamphlets. Some people use a gym bag, I find it a pain but it's up to you.

Hi,

Spoke to Ms.Shivers today, and she is up to #2160....she told me about another month before I get called in...my list number is in 2340-2350 range...so just wanted to give everyone a heads up who is waiting as well.

Hi,

Spoke to Ms.Shivers today, and she is up to #2160....she told me about another month before I get called in...my list number is in 2340-2350 range...so just wanted to give everyone a heads up who is waiting as well.

Nope she is a bit past 2160 I am just under 2170 and I got called today to come in on friday.

What are you suppose to do if you working on the train and suddenly have to take a dump? shyt? or better yet if you have diarrhea? If your breakfast or lunch runs through your stomach I guess that tiny cab is gonna be victimized.

This is a good question to ask when in schoolcar. If it's a true emergency, call it in and you will be accommodated. For the love of god, do NOT soil the cab! I need to share it with you!!!

This is a good question to ask when in schoolcar. If it's a true emergency, call it in and you will be accommodated. For the love of god, do NOT soil the cab! I need to share it with you!!!

That's good to hear I was worried someone was gonna mention again that's why we see all those coffee cups in the cabin what they hold on to that for

Archived