Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to post this in the 'Kids getting arrested in the subway thread' but it had nothing to do with subways. But since everyone is approving of arresting juvenile things like that, we might as well start arresting the people selling bottled water on Ocean Parkway that disrupts traffic with them weaving between cars and such. Pretty much the same thing eh?

Unfortunately we have many people out there with no heart whatsoever.

The thing is that many people who may be well off and think that they are on solid ground have this real fear of hitting rockbottom themselves, financially and otherwise. So they project that fear by vocally shitting on those who may be in an unfortunate situation. In turbulent times such as today, even those who once were making 90-100K are now finding themselves on the unemployment lines or worse. I wish some would see some benefit in being a bit more astute to the suffering of others in the Big Apple sometimes.

Definitely I wish the best for many doing well and successfully making it with solid careers. But its not cool when I have to see people laugh over another person's disaster.

I was going to post this in the 'Kids getting arrested in the subway thread' but it had nothing to do with subways. But since everyone is approving of arresting juvenile things like that, we might as well start arresting the people selling bottled water on Ocean Parkway that disrupts traffic with them weaving between cars and such. Pretty much the same thing eh?

It is in a way... People that sell food on the streets pay good money for permits, while the folks selling the water usually don't pay anything.  Would you as a business owner think it's fair for you to play by the rules and run a legal business while others don't?

It is in a way... People that sell food on the streets pay good money for permits, while the folks selling the water usually don't pay anything.  Would you as a business owner think it's fair for you to play by the rules and run a legal business while others don't?

Not all business owners live by the rules. Many workers are abused by employers. Many employers do everything they can to evade taxes. From your corner bodega to Wall Street.

Not all business owners live by the rules. Many workers are abused by employers. Many employers do everything they can to evade taxes. From your corner bodega to Wall Street.

Wall Street for sure. It's the biggest and longest running scam on the planet. 90% of investors lose their money in the financial markets and yet the industry continues to peddle its services for its own gain. Wall Street firms aren't there to help anyone retire rich; they are there to profit off of your money. As for the investors who win out, they are the firms themselves or very skilled/lucky investors who make their profits when the other investors are suckered into losing positions. These winning investors then pay a paltry 20% capital gains tax (which used to be 15%).

I'm very well aware of the irony of my statements being an investor myself…

Just got in from the beach party/BBQ, I had a f**king blast girls everywhere.

More like a bonfire to keep warm... myahahahaha :lol:

Wall Street for sure. It's the biggest and longest running scam on the planet. 90% of investors lose their money in the financial markets and yet the industry continues to peddle its services for its own gain. Wall Street firms aren't there to help anyone retire rich; they are there to profit off of your money. As for the investors who win out, they are the firms themselves or very skilled/lucky investors who make their profits when the other investors are suckered into losing positions. These winning investors then pay a paltry 20% capital gains tax (which used to be 15%).

I'm very well aware of the irony of my statements being an investor myself…

Preach the word bruddah, preach...

Unfortunately we have many people out there with no heart whatsoever.The thing is that many people who may be well off and think that they are on solid ground have this real fear of hitting rockbottom themselves, financially and otherwise. So they project that fear by vocally shitting on those who may be in an unfortunate situation. In turbulent times such as today, even those who once were making 90-100K are now finding themselves on the unemployment lines or worse. I wish some would see some benefit in being a bit more astute to the suffering of others in the Big Apple sometimes.Definitely I wish the best for many doing well and successfully making it with solid careers. But its not cool when I have to see people laugh over another person's disaster.

Well said.

Yes and no, I guarantee you that these people selling the water bottles on the streets, weaving through the lanes when the light is red..do not have permits. I highly doubt it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24401473/seahawks-selling-marshawn-lynch-the-beast-burger-with-side-of-skittles

I'm imagining there's going to be some sort of ridicules price tag attached to that.

According to this:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/marshawn-lynch-beast-burger-seahawks-playoffs/

The "limited edition" burger is $15. So if that price is ridiculous then I've been eating some millionaire type of burgers lately.

Well of course... Evading taxes (legally of course) is just being business savvy.

The wealthy businessman engaging in legalized tax evasion (due to lack of oversight in Congress), ripping off his employees in the process, should seem unethical to many others then. Doesn't it? As much as then the poor man trying to survive on the street soliciting while selling bottled water as was being illustrated here? Because the jobs are simply not there? We have three applicants for every job offered today. This was not the case during the late 20th Century.

You do realize that these tax deductions you are alluding to will be the first to go when the government really begins to reel from a growing national debt spiraling out of control? Something that is ongoing since winter recess. Get ready for those very republican-aligned congressmen you voted for, or will vote for, to stab even their own republican supporters in the back.

Edited by realizm

The wealthy businessman engaging in legalized tax evasion (due to lack of oversight in Congress), ripping off his employees in the process, should seem unethical to many others then. Doesn't it? As much as then the poor man trying to survive on the street soliciting while selling bottled water as was being illustrated here? Because the jobs are simply not there? We have three applicants for every job offered today. This was not the case during the late 20th Century.

You do realize that these tax deductions you are alluding to will be the first to go when the government really begins to reel from a growing national debt spiraling out of control? Something that is ongoing since winter recess. Get ready for those very republican-aligned congressmen you voted for, or will vote for, to stab even their own republican supporters in the back.

My point is that most business folks aren't wealthy.  The main job providers in this country are still small businesses so the idea of a large percentage of businessmen being wealthy is an illusion.  Those people are the ones often unfairly taxed by "gubment".

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

My point is that most business folks aren't wealthy.  The main job providers in this country are still small businesses so the idea of a large percentage of businessmen being wealthy is an illusion.  Those people are the ones often unfairly taxed by "gubment".

So too many who are mere workers struggling financially to feed their children. We're all in the same boat. I'm glad you finally got the point. We are all created equal.

Edited by realizm

So too many who are mere workers struggling financially to feed their children. We're all in the same boat. I'm glad you finally got the point. We are all created equal.

No, we aren't in the same boat... We live in a capitalist society and those who work hard and succeed deserve to earn more and shouldn't be punished or made to feel guilty for their success.

No, we aren't in the same boat... We live in a capitalist society and those who work hard and succeed deserve to earn more and shouldn't be punished or made to feel guilty for their success.

So essentially you actually support a capitalist driven caste system? Because the last time I did some fact checking on ethics I've read that being poor was not a crime.

Edited by realizm

So essentially you actually support a capitalist driven caste system? Because the last time I did some fact checking on ethics I've read that being poor was not a crime.

Nor is being rich or upper middle or middle class a crime... What I support is those who work hard to be successful not being punished for their success, otherwise, what's the point?  I work sometimes 12+ hours a day and earn everything that I make.  Why should I be penalized for my success because someone who is incompetent and lazy and who doesn't want to work is poor?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Why should I be penalized for my success because someone who is incompetent and lazy and who doesn't want to work is poor?

Who said every person below the poverty line is lazy and incompetent? That is a myth you seem to perpertrate just for the sake of opinion rather than fact. I've haven't heard anything in your statement that alludes the the scandal we have right now with a 400 million dollar social security scam involving at least 80 retired NYPD officers and FDNY firefighters. I'm sure they may not be exactly poor if as they collect fat pensions while they are ripping off taxpayers like you and me. Who apparently do not want to work if I may add.

Edited by realizm

Who said every person below the poverty line is lazy and incompetent? That is a myth you seem to perpertrate just for the sake of opinion rather than fact. I've haven't heard anything in your statement that alludes the the scandal we have right now with a 400 million dollar social security scam involving at least 80 retired NYPD officers and FDNY firefighters. I'm sure they may not be exactly poor if as they collect fat pensions while they are ripping off taxpayers like you and me. Who apparently do not want to work if I may add.

Those people will be dealt with accordingly.  The biggest drainers of the system are those looking for constant handouts.  The ones who ripoff the system aren't as nearly as common.

Those people will be dealt with accordingly.  The biggest drainers of the system are those looking for constant handouts.  The ones who ripoff the system aren't as nearly as common.

Incorrect. The biggest drainers of the system is the Department of Defense. Ever thought of that? Why we are giving out handouts to other countries for the sake of regime change while people are being neglected on our own homeland? You don't seem to take issue to that at all. The entire reason why we are in such deep piles of debt since the promissory note was introduced into currency.

Incorrect. The biggest drainers of the system is the Department of Defense. Ever thought of that? Why we are giving out handouts to other countries for the sake of regime change while people are being neglected on our own homeland? You don't seem to take issue to that at all. The entire reason why we are in such deep piles of debt since the promissory note was introduced into currency.

That's a completely different subject entirely.  It's part of the price of admission when you're a world leader...

That's a completely different subject entirely.  It's part of the price of admission when you're a world leader...

Who was it that started an illegal war on Iraq with an outstanding bill of $6 trillion dollars? That would be a major factor in what drove this country into recession because of a budget deficit, in the first place.

Edited by realizm